EA Forums - Banner

EA Dev, TPS needs to be better or else this game will never reach potential

Replies

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    eric57664 wrote: »
    Second video, It's actually quite hard to see that you weren't controlling the player since 1: am watching on my iPhone and 2: you were close to the glass and the marker is very hidden. But even based on that new info, looks like you took control of a player that was in a skating backwards animation (ai is virtually holding VC) and when you switch to him, you're not pressing it at all or before you switch to him to avoid that happening.

And then you fly around which is your fault because you control should be to tap the stick where you want to go to avoid things like this. Not tps, that's ai to human switching. Had this happen to me even when playing Pre tps skating engine.

What are you talking about? How am I supposed to "avoid" him skating backward? And how would me holding VC before I switch to him avoid him being in VC? (Not to mention that it make the player I was controlling before him skate backward, which I didn't want him to do.)

I didn't tap the stick because the offensive player was flying toward the net, and I needed to get to him -- since my AI teammates were, of course, completely oblivious to what was happening. Regardless, there's no reason my pressing up on the LS, hard or soft, should make me spin around. No reason, other than that this skating engine regularly makes players do things that no NHL player ever does -- like spin right when he's trying to move up and to the left from a dead start, as in my first clip -- and that users aren't asking to do.

You are spinning (a lot) because you are pressing the direction you want to go from where you are as opposed to ROTATING your left stick from where you are to where you want your body to go.

To understand what I mean is if you are at 2 o'clock and you want to face 9 o'clock, don't just go from 2-9. Rotate it (momentum and weight shift your player has). So go from 2-1-12-11-10-9 o'clock and at a rate that would match the speed the player is moving. Moving too fast can make him spin as you are tangling up his feet. Tps relies on foot positioning too.
  • Dixonyu
    675 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Dixonyu wrote: »
    Lol someone defending this skating engine , game mechanics or logic ... There is nothing to defend its all trash and gameplay has been getting worse over the last couple years , good job Ben.

Yet your logic is to still play it? Nice contradiction. Is that the theme with you guys? And if you're not playing it, that's even worse. You're on a forum complaining about a game that you don't play.

Like most people here have already said, we play this game because it is the only hockey franchise, except for some sim games... What choice do we have ?

Lol you are about as much of a goof as Ben Ross , you know nothing but you try to defend trash. You are just speaking jibberish trying to defend jibberish.
  • #makenhlsillyagain
    Lol someone defending this skating engine , game mechanics or logic ... There is nothing to defend its all trash and gameplay has been getting worse over the last couple years , good job Ben.

Yet your logic is to still play it? Nice contradiction. Is that the theme with you guys? And if you're not playing it, that's even worse. You're on a forum complaining about a game that you don't play.

Like most people here have already said, we play this game because it is the only hockey franchise, except for some sim games... What choice do we have ?

Lol you are about as much of a goof as Ben Ross , you know nothing but you try to defend trash. You are just speaking jibberish trying to defend jibberish.

What exactly makes you feel that Ben knows nothing about hockey or game design?
  • @Silky and Kezz- good post! Especially the 3 refs on the ice, I absolutely hate that. I'd like to see the neutral zone expanded just a bit. It's tough to get a dump or shot off before the blue line. Or at least add a modifier that allows me to shoot the puck off net/around the boards once I hit the blueline. Right now if you shoot upon entering the zone it's a shot on net. Would also love to be able to chip the puck in, kind of in the middle of a dump and just using RB for a saucer pass (it doesn't go high enough to use as a chip in).
  • Dixonyu wrote: »

And yet you're still playing trash and talking jiberish on a forum. No logic. Only hockey game there is? Sure. But if you don't like it, go play other games. There's lots.
    Zeroshift wrote: »
    yup @xxH3llsp4wNxx it's not just the skating it's literally everything now.

the list goes on and on. this is all stuff that should have been addressed already. i don't see any hope when it's been 3 years on current gen, plus the 3 years prior where the only change was the cover and minor fixes that could have been solved the previous year with a patch. we were told EA was working on the next gen game during this time. how has literally everything become worse than it was just a few years ago, especially when they had a decent foundation and so much time to work on it?

The biggest part is TPS, they made a new skating engine that nobody asked for (granted they had good intentions), but never went anywhere with it. With current gen they attempted to port it into the Ignite engine which has been nothing short of a disaster, I wouldn't expect much change with the current dev team unfortunately.

It's just crazy to see how much of a nosedive this series has taken in 5 years.

EA has really **** up this series. This game is just trash now.

It's a Friday night and I have a case of beer and plenty of 420 to endulge in (kinda have to put to up with this game) and after a few attempted games I said duck it and turned the game off. I have

Bmh245 wrote: »
    Second video, It's actually quite hard to see that you weren't controlling the player since 1: am watching on my iPhone and 2: you were close to the glass and the marker is very hidden. But even based on that new info, looks like you took control of a player that was in a skating backwards animation (ai is virtually holding VC) and when you switch to him, you're not pressing it at all or before you switch to him to avoid that happening.

And then you fly around which is your fault because you control should be to tap the stick where you want to go to avoid things like this. Not tps, that's ai to human switching. Had this happen to me even when playing Pre tps skating engine.

What are you talking about? How am I supposed to "avoid" him skating backward? And how would me holding VC before I switch to him avoid him being in VC? (Not to mention that it make the player I was controlling before him skate backward, which I didn't want him to do.)

I didn't tap the stick because the offensive player was flying toward the net, and I needed to get to him -- since my AI teammates were, of course, completely oblivious to what was happening. Regardless, there's no reason my pressing up on the LS, hard or soft, should make me spin around. No reason, other than that this skating engine regularly makes players do things that no NHL player ever does -- like spin right when he's trying to move up and to the left from a dead start, as in my first clip -- and that users aren't asking to do.

You are spinning (a lot) because you are pressing the direction you want to go from where you are as opposed to ROTATING your left stick from where you are to where you want your body to go.

To understand what I mean is if you are at 2 o'clock and you want to face 9 o'clock, don't just go from 2-9. Rotate it (momentum and weight shift your player has). So go from 2-1-12-11-10-9 o'clock and at a rate that would match the speed the player is moving. Moving too fast can make him spin as you are tangling up his feet. Tps relies on foot positioning too.

The gameplay moves too fast to pay attention to rotating, tapping etc the left stick to make sure he might move/trim properly. This is especially true if one is a D.

No it doesn't. Don't speak for everyone. Only for the players that don't know how to skate.
    @Silky and Kezz- good post! Especially the 3 refs on the ice, I absolutely hate that. I'd like to see the neutral zone expanded just a bit. It's tough to get a dump or shot off before the blue line. Or at least add a modifier that allows me to shoot the puck off net/around the boards once I hit the blueline. Right now if you shoot upon entering the zone it's a shot on net. Would also love to be able to chip the puck in, kind of in the middle of a dump and just using RB for a saucer pass (it doesn't go high enough to use as a chip in).

So you want to remove 3 refs off the ice and expand the size of the rink? Hahahha.

How can ea ever take you seriously. Lol.
  • eric57664 wrote: »

And yet you're still playing trash and talking jiberish on a forum. No logic. Only hockey game there is? Sure. But if you don't like it, go play other games. There's lots.

the list goes on and on. this is all stuff that should have been addressed already. i don't see any hope when it's been 3 years on current gen, plus the 3 years prior where the only change was the cover and minor fixes that could have been solved the previous year with a patch. we were told EA was working on the next gen game during this time. how has literally everything become worse than it was just a few years ago, especially when they had a decent foundation and so much time to work on it?

The biggest part is TPS, they made a new skating engine that nobody asked for (granted they had good intentions), but never went anywhere with it. With current gen they attempted to port it into the Ignite engine which has been nothing short of a disaster, I wouldn't expect much change with the current dev team unfortunately.

It's a Friday night and I have a case of beer and plenty of 420 to endulge in (kinda have to put to up with this game) and after a few attempted games I said duck it and turned the game off. I have

The gameplay moves too fast to pay attention to rotating, tapping etc the left stick to make sure he might move/trim properly. This is especially true if one is a D.

No it doesn't. Don't speak for everyone. Only for the players that don't know how to skate.
    @Silky and Kezz- good post! Especially the 3 refs on the ice, I absolutely hate that. I'd like to see the neutral zone expanded just a bit. It's tough to get a dump or shot off before the blue line. Or at least add a modifier that allows me to shoot the puck off net/around the boards once I hit the blueline. Right now if you shoot upon entering the zone it's a shot on net. Would also love to be able to chip the puck in, kind of in the middle of a dump and just using RB for a saucer pass (it doesn't go high enough to use as a chip in).

So you want to remove 3 refs off the ice and expand the size of the rink? Hahahha.

London tired of you already Joey? I wonder why.... Seems so very... unlikely for some reason.
  • eric57664
    240 posts Member
    edited January 2017

For some people like me, this hockey series is the ONLY game. So any other game isn't an option. It's the only game I've really played since 91 and I have no interest in playing anything else.

As for TPS, if it doesn't allow me the control of my player that I need to play my position properly then it's a broken skating engine. If I can't move laterally (and facing anyway I want regardless of where the play/puck is) without the puck as a D then I can't do my job properly. Hockey is the fastest sport and even more so with video game hockey. We simply don't have time to pay the close attention needed to rotate and tap the control sticks at a precise enough speed to match and pay attention to our players skates and body AND while trying play the game. Forwards don't have to worry about any of this.

Go into practice mode without the puck and see for yourself how hard and long it takes to just move yourself left to right along the opposing blueline while facing towards the goalie. Then come back here with a video of you doing so.

Or better yet, post a video of you playing D in an EASHL game without having any of these issues with TPS.

I'm considered better than average at this game and I'm also quite good using this skating engine but it's still broken/flawed which sometimes causes me to play differently than how a real life D would because I have to compensate for not being able to do certain things and because of all the pivots and turns the game forces us to make incorrectly.

Meanwhile EA caters to the casuals/newbies and forwards making things so easy for them but makes the skating (something that should be second nature) so hard for us D and without all the necessary tools to play our position properly.

If it's the only game, and it gives you grief, how about finding another hobby? You'll benefit twice from doing that. First, from finding something new which will excite you to do and then second, relieve you of your frustrations in playing this game. This addictive personality isn't healthy.

So are puck carriers using a different skating engine? They have the same "imperfections" you do.

Instead of me posting a video of me playing, why don't you post a video of playing a game? It seems every complainer never shows raw gameplay. They show a clip here and there but that doesn't tell the whole story.

So post a video, even just a full period and let's see what you're doing right and wrong with this skating engine.

Because just like most complainers, all they do best is complain. They never want to learn from someone else as they think it's always the games fault and never look at themselves.

So let's see if you will bring a period of raw gameplay or not.
  • cogsx86
    787 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    I see many still arent adapting
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »

Indeed.
  • Oh good god, every year for 9 years now I keep hearing how the top players are going to be bad, they won't be able to adjust blah blah blah. The top guys and teams are the same ones that have been here since the beginning. Wishful thinking by a bunch of scrubs. There really isn't anything to adapt to...it's hockey and all the buttons are the same since when I started playing in 09.
  • cogsx86
    787 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    COGSx86 wrote: »

Indeed.

ya its kinda sad people arent able to adapt in an internet forum either
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »

Indeed.

kouldnt agree moore.
  • eric57664
    240 posts Member
    edited January 2017

Indeed.

Let them cry. Complainers will always complain. Even if things are perfect. That's just who they are.
    SaveUs2K wrote: »
    Those are called bugs. That's not tps itself. So you can't count bugs as that is not how the engine is programmed but these unfortunate things do happen and that's what needs to be fixed and cleaned up.

But when YOU are Dustin Brown, it's up to YOU to not spin left when you want to go right by knowing how to rotate your stick properly in conjunction to your body position and momentum.

That's what I mean when ALL you guys want SKILL PUT INTO THE USERS HANDS. If YOU are turning left when you want to go right, well then that's YOUR fault for not knowing how or not being good enough to do it, and not video game Dustin Brown saying "I don't listen to what your input is."

It is not my fault that Doug Wilson -- 97 agility, 99 balance, 98 puck control -- spins right here when I am plainly telling him to go left. That's the game's fault. That's the fault of developers who have not figured out how to translate stick motions into what happens on the ice.

Or take this clip. There was a loose puck off a blocked shot. Offensive player picked it up around top of the circle (off-screen). My AI-controlled center, for some reason, was below the goal line (because AI players are always out of position in this year's game). I take control of him and just press up on the LS. But he doesn't just move up by skating up. Instead, he decides to do a 360, which leaves him with his side turned when he gets to the offensive player:

Now, what should I have done to stop him from doing that? I didn't tell him to do it. I didn't roll my stick from bottom to top. I just pressed up on the LS. Why is the game choosing to make him spin when I didn't tell him to do so? And again, this isn't a bug. This is something that happens all over the ice, game after game.
    Those are called bugs. That's not tps itself. So you can't count bugs as that is not how the engine is programmed but these unfortunate things do happen and that's what needs to be fixed and cleaned up.

But when YOU are Dustin Brown, it's up to YOU to not spin left when you want to go right by knowing how to rotate your stick properly in conjunction to your body position and momentum.

That's what I mean when ALL you guys want SKILL PUT INTO THE USERS HANDS. If YOU are turning left when you want to go right, well then that's YOUR fault for not knowing how or not being good enough to do it, and not video game Dustin Brown saying "I don't listen to what your input is."

It is not my fault that Doug Wilson -- 97 agility, 99 balance, 98 puck control -- spins right here when I am plainly telling him to go left. That's the game's fault. That's the fault of developers who have not figured out how to translate stick motions into what happens on the ice.

Or take this clip. There was a loose puck off a blocked shot. Offensive player picked it up around top of the circle (off-screen). My AI-controlled center, for some reason, was below the goal line (because AI players are always out of position in this year's game). I take control of him and just press up on the LS. But he doesn't just move up by skating up. Instead, he decides to do a 360, which leaves him with his side turned when he gets to the offensive player:

Now, what should I have done to stop him from doing that? I didn't tell him to do it. I didn't roll my stick from bottom to top. I just pressed up on the LS. Why is the game choosing to make him spin when I didn't tell him to do so? And again, this isn't a bug. This is something that happens all over the ice, game after game.

1st video is something that's needs cleaning up. Hardly ever happens. And eventually will be. So That doesn't break the engine.

2nd video, totally your fault. Look how fast you come out of that spin. If you had better control of your player, he doesn't do that. Do you have any more of the video? I'd like to see what you are doing at least 5 seconds before you go into the corner. Because the speed you come out of it looks like you're cranking your left stick, misreading how to use skate backwards and making your player spin uncontrollably.

Do you have more of the video from what you are doing before? That will tell more of the story of what you are doing because it's hard to read when you show a video right at the point of impact, so to speak.

How have you not been banned? You just troll and post useless garbage...Mods, Hello? We ban people because of HUT, but not for thread derailing and trolling? Good to know. Keep up the good work!

I think you got trolling with telling you the truth mixed up. Try learning instead of always complaining. You'll never get better that way.
    Post edited by eric57664 on
  • SaveUs2K wrote: »
    How have you not been banned? You just troll and post useless garbage...Mods, Hello? We ban people because of HUT, but not for thread derailing and trolling? Good to know. Keep up the good work!

How on earth can you think that post is grounds for banning LOL. Youre trippin dude. Also, even if he was derailing/trolling (which he most certainly isnt), if you started banning people for that there would be no one left here.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • SaveUs2K wrote: »

1st video is something that's needs cleaning up. Hardly ever happens. And eventually will be. So That doesn't break the engine.

2nd video, totally your fault. Look how fast you come out of that spin. If you had better control of your player, he doesn't do that. Do you have any more of the video? I'd like to see what you are doing at least 5 seconds before you go into the corner. Because the speed you come out of it looks like you're cranking your left stick, misreading how to use skate backwards and making your player spin uncontrollably.

Do you have more of the video from what you are doing before? That will tell more of the story of what you are doing because it's hard to read when you show a video right at the point of impact, so to speak.

He hasn't been banned because look who the mods are. Kory is a bootlicker who lies constantly and even when presented with mountains of it, demands "more videos".

Don't even bother acknowledging Eric/Joey because he has appointed himself "defender of the realm" the official white Knight of NHL 17 and EA sports. According to him, everything is your fault, even when the AI does it, so adapt Already! Yawn. He is just a troll doing shtick, and it's a tired shtick at that. I would just ignore him. He's an awful player, probably has very few friends IRL so he comes here to worship the mods and devs in hopes they will give him an attaboy. He's not worth your time.
  • Dixonyu wrote: »
    eight year olds can skate and handle a puck better...

The thing that stands out to me in this video is the mohawk maneuvers they are able to smoothly perform.

Again, this is more examples of maneuvers that should be in the game but aren't.

If you have the puck, a quick tap of LT makes you do a full 180 into backskating then your player will do another 180 back. It would be awesome if we could branch out of these full pivots and perform these mohawks by being on/off LT.

This should work if you don't have the puck as well.

@NHLDev
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.