EA Forums - Banner

Free HUT League?

I actually really like the concept of HUT. I miss the grind of the old hockey games of trying to play to build up to something better. HUT would completely fill this need, however I refuse to pay any cash on top of an almost 90 dollar game. It's just not worth it to me. I could go play VS but that's just bland to me now (and not to mention frustrating).

Would EA ever consider implementing a league in HUT where you could only play players who didn't purchase packs with a credit card? So that it's at least somewhat of an even playing field. Hey, at the end of the year you might be facing a team filled with 90's overall, but for most of it, only a couple superstars per team. I remember playing it on NHL 15 (it was their only mode really) and I had a blast grinding to make a half decent team up until I got to div 1 or 2 and everybody I was playing against had Ovechkin, Crosby and Gretzky on their 2nd lines while I had Jeff Skinner and Eric Staal on my first. Tough to win those games, regardless of how bad your opponent is.

It'd also be really fun at the start of the year when everybody has their awful players and the game really forces you to play good hockey to win. Almost like how EASHL for years before they implemented the set player builds were always a blast because people were forced into a teamplay game because they couldn't snipe every shot and dangle through players.

I think it'd be a blast. I might be the only one thinking this way, but if you think this would also be fun, comment below. I know I'd definitely play it if I knew others had to go through the same grind as I did. And hey, I know somebody could get lucky and pull a Crosby in their first pack, but at least the rest of their team would still be awful, or they'd be forced to auction him to acquire many other good players. I dunno, sounds fun to me.

Replies

• I think this is a great idea. I too refuse to spend any money on HUT or the game itself after the initial purchase. I like the idea of a free HUT mode but realistically it would be hard to fathom EA making a mode free that makes them the money that HUT does.
  • I think this is a great idea. I too refuse to spend any money on HUT or the game itself after the initial purchase. I like the idea of a free HUT mode but realistically it would be hard to fathom EA making a mode free that makes them the money that HUT does.

Well they could still keep the old HUT (they wouldn't dare to kill that mode when it's paying them), but it'd take people like me and only increase the amount of people playing the mode.

And obviously, the HUT elitists would still be all "you're not #1 unless you play with the big boys" or something like that.
  • It's too late to play HUT for you m8 cause most teams in top tiers already have stacked teams. Basically had stacked teams since day 1. Some guy had an all 94 team of Heros on the first day ****.

You could always try Draft Champions that way it's somewhat an even playing field.

I used to be a hardcore HUTer playing hundreds of games when the mode used to require strategy building teams. Over the years the game has just catered to credit cards since there's no more cap and players can now play out of position without consequences.

HUT imo would be so much better if it was a heck of a lot harder to acquire an all gold team but for whatever reason EA decided starting HUT with an all gold team made sense. Basically makes 3/4 (bronze, silver, common gold) cards useless off the bat.
  • But that's the whole point of it. If for NHL 18, they made a separate league in which people couldn't use credit cards to buy. That way, day one you wouldn't have all gold teams. It'd be a much slower process since people would have to play games in order to get more coins.

That's precisely what I'm trying to do. Is make it a more involved game mode. I think it's common knowledge that there's a distinctive advantage to those with unlimited credit card spending. It'd be cool to have an even playing field where grinding wins for coins was your primary way to gain a better team, rather than opening packs up after spending cash.
  • I don't mind the salary cap but then it kind of makes the game just like another vs mode.
  • Not gonna happen dude. There's barely enough users for normal HUT, let alone two different game modes....shootout mode can barely muster up 50 line players at a time ****