EA Forums - Banner

Why is switching players such a mystery?

Prev1
Can anyone shed some light on this? You press RT and it seems to give you a random player to switch to. And it's usually the one you don't want in a given situation. Is there a way to switch to a particular player when switching players?

Replies

  • No. It's an issue that not enough people are bringing up either.

    The other issue is when switching players does not respond at all in high pressure situations. It almost feels intentional.
  • RSall14
    574 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    I complained a ton back on the old forums when 15 dropped up until now. I asked why they decided to change player switching from last gen. I got the response of "we're always trying to improve things" etc. We are 3 years into new gen and they still haven't figured out how to make it as smooth as last gen. I don't get how they can release the game and be fine with the way it works. How hard is it to have it work like it used to?
  • Its intentionally bad in order to give up more breakaways and rushes, if the player switched properly right away breakaways would be next to impossible, no breakaways = hurt feelings for try hards, EA doesn't want to hurt try hards feelings.
  • Its also pretty terrible.
  • Prefer last gen when it would most often give you the defender whereas now it tries to give you a backchecker.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Its intentionally bad in order to give up more breakaways and rushes, if the player switched properly right away breakaways would be next to impossible, no breakaways = hurt feelings for try hards, EA doesn't want to hurt try hards feelings.


    At least make manual switchig an option for offline players. Its annoying always switching to a player who isnt anywhere near the puck and isnt paying attention to the play
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    Prefer last gen when it would most often give you the defender whereas now it tries to give you a backchecker.

    The thing is it doesn't always give you the correct backchecker. How many times have I seen the puck on the right side, you try to switch to the right side D and it switches to a LEFT side back-checking player.
  • Workin_OT
    469 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Workin_OT wrote: »
    Prefer last gen when it would most often give you the defender whereas now it tries to give you a backchecker.

    The thing is it doesn't always give you the correct backchecker. How many times have I seen the puck on the right side, you try to switch to the right side D and it switches to a LEFT side back-checking player.

    Probly too many times, eh bud?

    Just go back to what it used to be on old gen. Make people actually play defense again.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    I have always been under the impression that changing control of your player follows the same mechanic as passing. Meaning; aim the left stick in the direction of the player you want to control (in relation to the player currently being controlled) and press 'switch player'.

    I could be out to lunch on that - but I haven't had much difficulty in switching to a player I want to control using this method. I've had a few mishaps but just chalked that up to fat fingers.
    I don't think it has worked this way in any NHL, including the current one.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    I have always been under the impression that changing control of your player follows the same mechanic as passing. Meaning; aim the left stick in the direction of the player you want to control (in relation to the player currently being controlled) and press 'switch player'.

    I could be out to lunch on that - but I haven't had much difficulty in switching to a player I want to control using this method. I've had a few mishaps but just chalked that up to fat fingers.

    You are, in fact, out to lunch on this. Ben said in a thread not long ago that this is not how switching works in NHL -- aiming the LS has no effect at all on which player you switch to.

    Switching this year is actually worse than ever. Last year, the switching logic was weird and counterintuitive -- remember JoeVat drawing lines on GIFs to try to explain the logic -- but most of the time (not always, but most of the time) I had a sense of which player the game was going to switch me to, even if I didn't always think that was the player it should be switching to. This year, though, I often have no idea at all which player the game will decide to switch me to -- especially in the zone, it's a complete crap shoot.

    The switching problem is compounded by the positively bizarre way AI players deal with breakaways -- they often times don't get back, and if there's a far-side defenseman near the blue line when an offensive winger is breaking into the zone with the puck on the other side of the ice, that defenseman will typically just stay on his side of the ice and let the guy get a clean chance. (And don't even think about switching to him -- it'll take forever, if it happens at all.)

    All in all, this is another aspect of the game that's significantly worse than it was in the last-gen game.

  • player switching, needs some adjusting
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Hold the Switch Player button and point to the Left or Right Defensemen and you will switch to your D's
  • Pazonator wrote: »
    Hold the Switch Player button and point to the Left or Right Defensemen and you will switch to your D's

    Man, did you even read the thread before posting? The guy who's in charge of gameplay for the series has said that pointing at a player does not affect switching in this game. You're just imagining that you're choosing the player you switch to.

  • You're not the only one. I had bought into the notion that player switching was affected by the direction you were holding your LS in, that I had learned to always put the LS in the neutral position when switching. Of course, it never helped (LOL).

    Really, the game has always had a funny way of selecting what player it will switch to. But this year has to probably be the worst.
  • They totally fubar this feature. Same with the passing. They took something that should be so easy and common sense and made it into a total broken feature. Only EA.
  • No. It's an issue that not enough people are bringing up either.

    The other issue is when switching players does not respond at all in high pressure situations. It almost feels intentional.

    Amen. High pressure situations....I'll hit the button literally 3 times and it doesn't switch the player. Maddening. This so needs to be fixed!!
  • Just having the ability to toggle through the entire lineup on the ice is all that needs to be done. But again, that makes way too much sense, I apologize.
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    How do people feel about what 989 Sports used to do with the Face Off series and have ICON based player selection/passing?
    Pull LT or LB or whatever button to activate and the ICONS appear above your (AI) teammates heads, push corresponding ICON to select (or pass) to that player. IRL we use our voices to communicate with our teammates on the ice to let them know a pass is coming their way or to take the Winger, etc. We don't have that ability to do that in a video game so I think ICON based player selection/passing would help solve these issues
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Pazonator wrote: »
    Hold the Switch Player button and point to the Left or Right Defensemen and you will switch to your D's

    Man, did you even read the thread before posting? The guy who's in charge of gameplay for the series has said that pointing at a player does not affect switching in this game. You're just imagining that you're choosing the player you switch to.

    I feel like such an **** that I've believed this for years, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    Perception is reality, eh bud? If you felt it worked this way and didn't have problems with the switching, then keep on doing what you're doing and keep on pretending that's how it works. ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!