EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - HUT Deep dive

Andrew Marks HUT Producer and Nicholas Shewchuk Live Content Producer discuss HUT in NHL 20.
Check it out here.

Really EA

gundamfreedomx
88 posts Member
edited December 2016
What button do I press to initiate a crosscheck?

How do I control the seamless puck pickup animations?

Why do I whiff on simple one timers?

How is a person accountable for their actions when they can loop a game?

How is a every shot near the net tipped?

Replies

• How do I control the seamless puck pickup animations?

[/quote]

Yes, these are pretty annoying,and need sorting out in the next patch,and I am really hoping that this patch is coming soon, because there are a lot of other issues as well,instead of special packs every day, and stupid sets,you could spend a bit more time on fixing the issues quicker EA.
  • How do I control the seamless puck pickup animations?

Yes, these are pretty annoying,and need sorting out in the next patch,and I am really hoping that this patch is coming soon, because there are a lot of other issues as well,instead of special packs every day, and stupid sets,you could spend a bit more time on fixing the issues quicker EA. [/quote]

Well said
  • Tips are out of control

Puck pickups aren't great either, but have found if you accelerate through it sometimes it'll help. Game won't let you shove a player in front of the net (crosscheck but not crosscheck). Just allows a tie up
  • Tips are out of control

Puck pickups aren't great either, but have found if you accelerate through it sometimes it'll help. Game won't let you shove a player in front of the net (crosscheck but not crosscheck). Just allows a tie up

His point about the crosschecking is that players get called for crosschecking penalties on perfectly good hits, when there's nothing you can do to not crosscheck someone. If the game decides it's crosschecking, it's crosschecking.

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    Tips are out of control

His point about the crosschecking is that players get called for crosschecking penalties on perfectly good hits, when there's nothing you can do to not crosscheck someone. If the game decides it's crosschecking, it's crosschecking.

Not very "e-sport", no. Same for goalie interference being nonexistent, elbowing and so yeah let's make a decision here..... is this aimed at being "realistic simulation" where stuff like that (and broken sticks for that matter) DO happen in real life or are you "e-sporting" where as much responsibility falls on the user as possible?
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • And if their excuse is "realism" (it's in the game!), then where are all the spearing, clipping, kneeing, etc???
  • kapitanron wrote: »
    And if their excuse is "realism" (it's in the game!), then where are all the spearing, clipping, kneeing, etc???

EXACTLY!!
    NEVER seen a poke check physically pass through the puck in real life
    NEVER seen a stick physically pass through the goal post to knock a dead puck into the net in real life
    NEVER seen the puck physically pass through the goalies chest in real life
    NEVER seen a players stick physically pass through the boards and hit the people in the front row in real life
    But yet that is what EA advertises as REALISM
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    Tips are out of control

Not very "e-sport", no. Same for goalie interference being nonexistent, elbowing and so yeah let's make a decision here..... is this aimed at being "realistic simulation" where stuff like that (and broken sticks for that matter) DO happen in real life or are you "e-sporting" where as much responsibility falls on the user as possible?

This is where the confusion in the community lies.

People ask for a hardcore realistic simulation but don't realize that means all the random factors that occur in real hockey games.

A video game that requires skill should minimize the random factors as much as possible.

I am firmly in the camp where as much responsibility falls on the user as possible.
  • symmer1983 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Tips are out of control

People ask for a hardcore realistic simulation but don't realize that means all the random factors that occur in real hockey games.

A video game that requires skill should minimize the random factors as much as possible.

I am firmly in the camp where as much responsibility falls on the user as possible.

C'mon mate. My idea of a REALISTIC Hardcore game DOES NOT, I repeat DOES NOT include sticks RANDOMLY physically passing through a puck on a poke check...when has that Ever happened in a real game? DOES NOT include the ability to have a stick RANDOMLY physically pass through the goal post to knock a dead puck sitting on the goal line into the net for a goal...when has that Ever happened in a real game? DOES NOT include the puck RANDOMLY physically passing through the Goalies chest for a goal...when has that Ever happened in a real game?

I will use my time clock example yet again: How is it that the game will decide to RANDOMLY allow my poke check to work to perfection at 13:24 but at 13:14 (a mere 10sec later) the game decides to RANDOMLY NOT HAVE IT WORK.....that is NOT the REALISTIC Hardcore Sim that I want!
    Tips are out of control

A lot (maybe even all) of the random **** needs to be removed. Such examples:

Broken sticks. Coincidence that broken sticks happen primarily when someone is trying to clear the puck out of their zone while on a PK? Coincidence that broken sticks also happen primarily at crucial parts of the game whether it is when one team is trying to tie the score or go up by one? Which brings me to whiffing on one-timers. Usually they occur at the same crucial times of the game. Look at winning a faceoff back to the point for a one-timer. Whiffs shouldn't happen when the dman is already holding the correct controls for an automatic one.

And we already know about the complete randomness when it comes to the goalies.

I want all the randomness removed from the game too. I don't even think broken sticks should be in the game. Anything that involves luck should be taken out in my opinion.

What I was saying was that when people want a game that's as close to the real thing as possible, they need to be careful what they wish for.

Real life will never be replicated in a video game, so instead of trying to make the game as real as possible, the goal should be to optimize it in the following ways:
    - perfectly balanced offensively and defensively
    - movement feels natural and intuitive
    - minimize automation and random events
    - provide better netcode and matchmaking for online play
    symmer1983 wrote: »
    Tips are out of control

A lot (maybe even all) of the random **** needs to be removed. Such examples:

Broken sticks. Coincidence that broken sticks happen primarily when someone is trying to clear the puck out of their zone while on a PK? Coincidence that broken sticks also happen primarily at crucial parts of the game whether it is when one team is trying to tie the score or go up by one? Which brings me to whiffing on one-timers. Usually they occur at the same crucial times of the game. Look at winning a faceoff back to the point for a one-timer. Whiffs shouldn't happen when the dman is already holding the correct controls for an automatic one.

And we already know about the complete randomness when it comes to the goalies.

I want all the randomness removed from the game too. I don't even think broken sticks should be in the game. Anything that involves luck should be taken out in my opinion.

What I was saying was that when people want a game that's as close to the real thing as possible, they need to be careful what they wish for.

Real life will never be replicated in a video game, so instead of trying to make the game as real as possible, the goal should be to optimize it in the following ways:
    - perfectly balanced offensively and defensively
    - movement feels natural and intuitive
    - minimize automation and random events
    - provide better netcode and matchmaking for online play

Sad thing is the NHL team doesn't get it. They're too focused on realism, which is dumb because this game will never be the equivalent of real hockey. If you've seen Ben's responses to certain issues you would see that there's no hope. I truly hope this game ceases to exist soon.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1091 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Yeah well, I don't know about realism, but some folks still seem to expect that EA will 'fix' the game at some point. But I honestly think that either A) the dev team thinks the game is fine as it is, or b) they just don't know how to fix this mess.

Just a few examples: If you think about the totally unrealistic board pins CPU does, reaching from BEHIND to pin your guy, or every time you throw a hit and the puck is lost under the supine opponent, who then has the time to get up and assume possession before you can do anything about it... stuff like that has been there ever since the new gen consoles, and they've done nothing about it. And they never will, because they think it's just fine as it is. They've had two years to fix these little things, so I am taking that as an indication nothing will ever be done about them.