EA Forums - Banner

NHL 13 TPS

Prev1

Replies

  • Man, that looks gorgeous. Look at the smooth transition into skating backwards....something NHL sorely lacks.
  • That's explains quite a bit actually.

    I think EA needs to speed up the current backskating then which would help a lot of us defenders.

    They don't want to do that because they want little sh*ts skating full speed past our defenders. They hate giving us defensive tools. When they do they are broke anyway.
  • If only the transitions were still this smooth.
  • I especially like the part where the engineer said, "this is something that is all new, and FEELS GREAT.."

    I would agree with him here, the 45 and 90 cuts do feel great. A lot of the rest of TPS, not so much.
  • OK some of you are apparently on crack. There aren't too many skaters (like any) that can skate as fast backwards as an elite level forward can skate forwards breaking out on the rush. What YOU as a responsible and competent defenseman need to do is:

    1) observe and anticipate the play in the O-zone to know when and where that rush will happen
    2) book it back - skating forwards - to create enough of gap to...
    3) THEN turn and skate backwards to force the forwards play

    Hitting and poke checking are as good as they have been in a couple years and there is no reason not to be able to break up a rush most of the time if you are paying attention
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • That's explains quite a bit actually.

    I think EA needs to speed up the current backskating then which would help a lot of us defenders.
    I think the backskating speed is plenty fast.

  • KoryDub wrote: »
    NHL 13 lacks momentum and any physics when it comes to skating.

    I would not be in favor of users not being held responsible for managing momentum while skating. It's a fundamental aspect of moving with tiny blades on a surface of ice.

    Come on, man -- stop making stuff up.

    Here's Ben explaining how NHL 13 brings "Explosiveness, Top End Speed, and Momentum" to the game.

    "In NHL 12, there was no sense of momentum. In NHL 13, momentum is now the game within the game."

    https://www.amazon.com/Explosiveness-Top-End-Speed-Momentum-Explained/dp/B00TSYR5ZC
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    KoryDub wrote: »
    NHL 13 lacks momentum and any physics when it comes to skating.

    I would not be in favor of users not being held responsible for managing momentum while skating. It's a fundamental aspect of moving with tiny blades on a surface of ice.

    Come on, man -- stop making stuff up.

    Here's Ben explaining how NHL 13 brings "Explosiveness, Top End Speed, and Momentum" to the game.

    "In NHL 12, there was no sense of momentum. In NHL 13, momentum is now the game within the game."

    https://www.amazon.com/Explosiveness-Top-End-Speed-Momentum-Explained/dp/B00TSYR5ZC

    Okay, fair enough. But you can't deny momentum in skating within '17 is far better than '13.

    I don't know -- I haven't actually played NHL 13 in a long time. It feels like some aspects of the skating today are better, with more weight and accountability. On the other hand, the unasked-for spins, bad pivots, etc. seem worse to me, not better.


  • Kory, I think you're talking about 12. 13 is the 1st and best imo year of TPS
  • That's explains quite a bit actually.

    I think EA needs to speed up the current backskating then which would help a lot of us defenders.
    I think the backskating speed is plenty fast.

    Could be a tad faster.

    Backskate speed is fine its the agility and pivoting that needs to be tuned up to match the puck carrier.
  • Kory, I think you're talking about 12. 13 is the 1st and best imo year of TPS

    I agree. That's the year which had the best combination of accountability and fluidity.
  • sethamphetamines
    330 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Kory, I think you're talking about 12. 13 is the 1st and best imo year of TPS

    I agree. That's the year which had the best combination of accountability and fluidity.

    I agree as well, but it's funny how many people used to hate 13's skating, especially after they played 14. I thought 14 was too watered down. 13s skating was far better than 17s that's for sure.
  • Reducto80
    32 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    NHL13 TPS was better for a couple of reasons.

    1) Starting with NHL 14 they started to water it down with things like lateral strafing and moving in a direction without facing that direction first. These mechanics aren't responsive or intuitive to use and the game was better without them.

    2) In NHL 13 speed had a huge effect on just about every attribute. Doing things at lower speeds or at a glide made them more effective. It made it harder for skaters to be a one man show and easier to contain if you played your positioned yourself well.
    PSN : GordonRamsey
    Club : Midnight Express
  • megadeth_600
    1437 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    KoryDub wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    KoryDub wrote: »
    NHL 13 lacks momentum and any physics when it comes to skating.

    I would not be in favor of users not being held responsible for managing momentum while skating. It's a fundamental aspect of moving with tiny blades on a surface of ice.

    Come on, man -- stop making stuff up.

    Here's Ben explaining how NHL 13 brings "Explosiveness, Top End Speed, and Momentum" to the game.

    "In NHL 12, there was no sense of momentum. In NHL 13, momentum is now the game within the game."

    https://www.amazon.com/Explosiveness-Top-End-Speed-Momentum-Explained/dp/B00TSYR5ZC

    Okay, fair enough. But you can't deny momentum in skating within '17 is far better than '13.

    Pfft. Not really. Why is it that puck carriers lose most of this accountability? If anything, they are LESS accountable and more agile all because they are carrying a puck. Strangely enough, defenders with the puck only have this effect slightly. Forwards on the other hand, not even comparable. The balance is completely out of whack and frankly s-u-c-k-s out the "realism".

    Only defenders and goalies have huge accountability while puck carriers simply do not. This is what I find the most frustrating when Ben comes here and explains why TPS is the way it is and why we have to be accountable for our decisions and movements. Would be a better message to swallow if this also applied to puck carriers, especially when along the boards or when the just hold their sticks out to shrug off checks. Realism isn't something you throw in here and there. It has to apply to all situations, not the ones that are judged as requiring it.
  • Skating as a dman in great you guys just suck at the game.. I don't hear anyone online complain it's only this small group of players in these forums that suck
  • That video was so unrealistic.. nobody can go full speed one way and reverse into a backskate without losing any speed
  • SharlonD wrote: »
    Skating as a dman in great you guys just suck at the game.. I don't hear anyone online complain it's only this small group of players in these forums that suck

    Great comment, to add to all the other great comments you've posted tonight. You're really adding a tremendous amount of value to the discussion.

  • SharlonD
    82 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    SharlonD wrote: »
    Skating as a dman in great you guys just suck at the game.. I don't hear anyone online complain it's only this small group of players in these forums that suck

    Great comment, to add to all the other great comments you've posted tonight. You're really adding a tremendous amount of value to the discussion.


    Thanks buddy. People have been complaining on these forums about the skating since the beta it's ridiculous instead of adjusting they just complain. Skating is as realistic as it's ever been you can't go from full speed forward to full speed backskating and I don't get how people have a problem with that. I've been saying this since the beta... ADJUST ADJUST ADJUST.. stop trying to get the game to change to you because you're not good, how about you adjust to the realism of NHL 17.. I never have problems keeping forwards in front of me in EASHL so clearly it's not the games fault it's the users fault so once again.. ADJUST!!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!