EA Forums - Banner

A very underrated complaint...

Replies

• petejenkev
    99 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    NHLDev wrote: »
    The full collision discussion has been confused. Back in the day, Rammer was asked about collisions and when he said that it wasn't on by default due to fun factor, he was referring to the incidental stick on stick and stick on body collisions that we do now have on by default.

For the stick to actually have full physics collisions at all times, it would take much more work. Different levels of muscle tension for when you want to hold onto your stick vs let it go with one of your hands, a bunch of different animations to pull the stick around when it is going to collide with something, etc.

We have tried different IK and animation solutions near the boards but haven't got to something that didn't compromise player control and what you could do in the real world to navigate closer to the boards, net, other players, etc.

This isn't something that could just be turned on as some of you think so there isn't a demo that we are hiding from anyone or anything like that.

Not because it's fun to beat a dead horse, but anyway....

The collision detection issue is present in EA's "NHL" series since years, yet I still see the same glitches were sticks go not just through other sticks, but player models, boards, nets, goal posts as well - basically through any other object that's in the scene.

On top of that - and this is my main grief - Pucks are flying through goalie's equipment.

I don't know, if that's related, but how does the game engine acknowledge when a player is tripped in one incident while in the next moment the stick swings right through the legs of TWO defenders and the puck flies right through the netminder's glove?

How does the game distinguish between those two related situations?

• It doesn't? You only get tripping if you use poke check, is my understanding?
  • rUnotENTERTAlND
    361 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    "honestly joe, you probably could believe the dev on this one."

Who believes this guys a DEV? I don't!
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • I agree DeejNYLV.. the CPU AI teammates play so differently that the CPU teams players, it boggles the mind. Board play is another story.. when the CPU player has you against the boards instead of your AI player going to the side that's open for you to pass it to them, they go behind the CPU AI player, so you end up losing the battle and the puck.
  • yeah I can only think of two explanations: a) there's two different AIs, one for the CPU opponent; and one (inferior one) for your CPU team mates; or b) something about the live player and his actions messes up / breaks the CPU teammates' AI, really bad sometimes.
  • "honestly joe, you probably could believe the dev on this one."

Who believes this guys a DEV? I don't!

Investigate 3-11!
  • How about the ability to take full slap shops with follow through when a defender is standing in front of you, 8 out of 10 times the puck goes in the net. This needs to be addressed.
  • I'm not going to put inappropriate paragraph breaks in just to satisfy someone's desire to see one. That entire post was correctly one paragraph.
  • DeejNYLV wrote: »
    I'm not going to put inappropriate paragraph breaks in just to satisfy someone's desire to see one. That entire post was correctly one paragraph.

I suggested it only to improve the readability of your text. But if you want people skipping your text blocks, fair enough.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    DeejNYLV wrote: »
    I'm not going to put inappropriate paragraph breaks in just to satisfy someone's desire to see one. That entire post was correctly one paragraph.

I suggested it only to improve the readability of your text. But if you want people skipping your text blocks, fair enough.

Aggh....sorry. You're right, my apologies.
  • no worries
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    no worries

Thanks mate.
  • Even just versus another player, imagine what it would do to deleking if you had to move your stick around the player to due to proper collision... It would make deleking realistic and not so over powered it would be great in that regard ...

But you are asking a dev team that has kept basically the same game and issues for almost 10 years to get off their 🎃🎃🎃🎃 and not add fluff. Pretty big task for this dev crew.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    Dixonyu wrote: »
    Even just versus another player, imagine what it would do to deleking if you had to move your stick around the player to due to proper collision... It would make deleking realistic and not so over powered it would be great in that regard ...

But you are asking a dev team that has kept basically the same game and issues for almost 10 years to get off their **** and not add fluff. Pretty big task for this dev crew.

If you deke through a players stick or legs, the puck comes free. You can pick it up on the other side once free, as can the defender, so it depends on positioning after that. You should certainly have more success if you pay attention to avoiding sticks and legs when deking and also pay attention to when the puck is going to come free so than you can be ready to re-recover it.
  • NHLDev
    How about the ability to take full slap shops with follow through when a defender is standing in front of you, 8 out of 10 times the puck goes in the net. This needs to be addressed.

We added that in this year as a fix after reviewing videos last year.

On a possessed puck that was dragged through a players legs in a wrist shot attempt, they would lose the puck. However, even with that function last year, if a slapshot was taken and the puck was released free behind the defender and on the slapshot attempt the stick went through the defenders legs before making contact with the puck, it would allow the shot because the possession happened after the incidental contact. The game would only drop the puck if the incidental contact happened when possessed.

This year, we tried to put the player taking the shot into a stumble but that caused some knock ons. Instead, we really hinder your shot and it flubs away if your stick goes through a players stick or legs first. If you aren't seeing that, please let us know as that hasn't been the case in the games we have played or the testing we have done. Thanks.
  • DeejNYLV wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    no worries

Thanks mate.

There are at least 3 paragraph breaks in your block, sir.

Just sayin' :)
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    On a possessed puck that was dragged through a players legs in a wrist shot attempt, they would lose the puck.

This year, we tried to put the player taking the shot into a stumble but that caused some knock ons. Instead, we really hinder your shot and it flubs away if your stick goes through a players stick or legs first. If you aren't seeing that, please let us know as that hasn't been the case in the games we have played or the testing we have done. Thanks.

Bure shoots and scores right through a player's leg:

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    On a possessed puck that was dragged through a players legs in a wrist shot attempt, they would lose the puck.

Booooh!!
  • The physics in this game dont look real many times. I see my players stick go through the back of the net as if they were holograms. Ive seen my players stick go through the boards like they were holograms.

This is somethin that doesnt really get talked about on here. This game would look a lot more realistic if this was fixed. Its as if the net, the boards, and the goal posts are holograms that sticks can go through.

man who gives a F&#! how this game looks. Who even gives a F#&! how it plays!!! What about fixing the servers so that we can actually PLAY the game??
  • NHLDev
    Bmh245 wrote: »

Booooh!!

I commented on this in another thread where this video was also used. We don't consider incidental contact against a teammate.

The reason for this is because we don't have any avoid animations for your teammate to lift a leg or move their stick to avoid contact that would disrupt your pickup, allow you to skate through a tighter space or get a shot off.

For opponents, we know they would want to do anything they could to disrupt you so it works in those cases.

We did have a task early on to allow incidental contact with teammates as well as part of our incidental contact toggle for offline play but it was cut due to time. It may be something we can look at again in the future so that people could see how the game plays with it and give feedback. We could also look at it selectively such as only when you are shooting, etc.