EA Forums - Banner

Does player ratings matter?

Prev1
I've been suspicious about the player ratings, and whether or not they really make a difference. This gives rise to the conspiracy that ice tilt exist. The most obvious evidence is the goalies. Same glitch goals go in for mid 80's or mid 90's?

Replies

• ice tilt doesn't exist
  • bad programming and network issues are exaggerated to create the myth of ice tilt. the glitchy goals that go in on everyone is a result of bad coding but in general if NHL had dediciated servers a lot of the "ice tilt" theories would go away in my opinion
  • yes and no... luck is involved as well, like if a player skates into the puck and it goes in, you will be hearing people screaming ICE TILT! yet it was just simply an unlucky goal, that's all
  • ESPOtheDON wrote: »
    yes and no... luck is involved as well, like if a player skates into the puck and it goes in, you will be hearing people screaming ICE TILT! yet it was just simply an unlucky goal, that's all

agreed, just like real life, ebbs and flows i had 4 games with 5 goals my AI put in on meand then won 7 of 9. people only focus on when those bounces dont go their way.
  • bad programming and network issues are exaggerated to create the myth of ice tilt. the glitchy goals that go in on everyone is a result of bad coding but in general if NHL had dediciated servers a lot of the "ice tilt" theories would go away in my opinion

I'm confused with your comment, are you saying bad programming and network issues are the reason for the theory of "ice tilt". If not, why do people complain that ice tilt exist? It's not my imagination, but I notice a complete "one end of the spectrum to the other" difference with the way my team plays. One game they are hard on the puck, the next game that have mud in the skates and skate away as if the puck was a bomb. How do you explain this?

I'm confused with your comment, are you saying bad programming and network issues are the reason for the theory of "ice tilt". If not, why do people complain that ice tilt exist? It's not my imagination, but I notice a complete "one end of the spectrum to the other" difference with the way my team plays. One game they are hard on the puck, the next game that have mud in the skates and skate away as if the puck was a bomb. How do you explain this?

connection latency, the guy you are playing is connecting to the host server better than you are.
  • Not really after 85 you can do anything just as well as anyone else. And with all the inflated stats and everyone having wrong stats. Not really. This is just another area where ea devs really dropped the ball and their scouts. I mean what scout out there has seen Crosby and Datsyuk fight and says ya they are in par with Joe Thornton , Zdeno Chara , yup they sure are ea scouts.
  • I feel personally I play better if I stick around with 88's. For me the player matters more than the rating because if I don't like the player or if I expect the player to be better than the rest I will just lose alot.
  • Anyone that plays HUT single seasons know player ratings are broken as ****. A team of all 88+ skaters who have 88-92 in speed play a team like the Hershey bears on pro yet their defense can backskate as fast as your NHL players going forward. Such a joke.
  • Anyone that plays HUT single seasons know player ratings are broken as ****. A team of all 88+ skaters who have 88-92 in speed play a team like the Hershey bears on pro yet their defense can backskate as fast as your NHL players going forward. Such a joke.

There's more evidence to show the ratings don't matter. You adjust the sliders and instantly your team goes in to stupid mode.
  • Every aspect of the game is just inconsistent. One game your team can play great, the next game there's nothing you can do to complete passes. You play a game where you light up Patrick Roy with 5 goals on 11 shots and then the very next game you hit many posts, miss open nets and can't score on 30 shots against a 85-86 overall goalie. It's comical.
  • Every aspect of the game is just inconsistent. One game your team can play great, the next game there's nothing you can do to complete passes. You play a game where you light up Patrick Roy with 5 goals on 11 shots and then the very next game you hit many posts, miss open nets and can't score on 30 shots against a 85-86 overall goalie. It's comical.

Doesn't this happen in real life?
  • I don't know what division you guys are in but in d1 every team is loaded.
  • Stfx96
    346 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    There are certainly games when things just don't work well. Players have no jump, one timers get whiffed on, passes miss their target and the posts ring like a telephone. This can happen with a juiced team or a scrub team.

However, I have found that ratings absolutely matter. Due to internet issues in my area I play exclusively single player season in Superstar mode. I have played and won 17 Div 1 titles with my top team of Heros/Legends. I have not lost one title with that team. I also have an all MOV team which has a lower rating and have one 3 Div 1 titles in 5 attempts and was even relegated once with the MOV team.

In my experience, heroes and legends far outplay MOVs like Ovi, Seguin, Bergy, Toews, Burns etc and are far more fun to use. The extra synergies of the boosted cards may have something to do with this but the higher rated cards just play better.
  • Snipecity98XB1
    299 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Every aspect of the game is just inconsistent. One game your team can play great, the next game there's nothing you can do to complete passes. You play a game where you light up Patrick Roy with 5 goals on 11 shots and then the very next game you hit many posts, miss open nets and can't score on 30 shots against a 85-86 overall goalie. It's comical.

Are you saying that since there's nights where Colorado can have a game against Chicago where they win 3-0 but got outplayed the whole game that EA should artificially balance games in a video game ? Just to make it 'realistic' ? if you and others have that mentality, it's obvious why EA NHL isn't an esport... for a game to be competitive you need consistency, the better player should win especially when we're talking about a large skill gap. In this game you can dominate but still lose to a hot goalie or 1 or 2 lucky bounces. It should never be that way.

Edit: I don't mind a lucky bounce or two in a close game with 2 good players... but when you're smashing your opponent in every gameplay aspect yet you still lose, that should be an issue to everyone. Except for the scrubs that benefit from it of course.

Are you saying that since there's nights where Colorado can have a game against Chicago where they win 3-0 but got outplayed the whole game that EA should artificially balance games in a video game ? Just to make it 'realistic' ? if you and others have that mentality, it's obvious why EA NHL isn't an esport... for a game to be competitive you need consistency, the better player should win especially when we're talking about a large skill gap. In this game you can dominate but still lose to a hot goalie or 1 or 2 lucky bounces. It should never be that way.

This actually does happen in real life... I've watched countless NHL games where a team would be dominant yet would still lose due to unlucky bounces or whatever
  • That's what they tried to put into the game.
  • Maybe I am old-fashioned but I simply call this, "luck".
  • It is luck. Skill can overcome luck I have had that happen to me and be done to my team in many games. Up 4 goals when I shouldn't be other team comes back and vice versa
  • Yep... I have had plenty of games where my Kolzig stopped 19/20 shots (mind you my D is on point so a lot of these shots were from the outside) but I scored 4 goals on 9 shots....

I am sure my opponent was yelling "ICE TILT" all the way home... I just call it a game, it happens