EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Connection Questions

Replies

• More importantly, how do these clowns charge $80 for this trash
  • BassMan_PC
    357 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Why can't we set region for solo and group matchmaking for drop in?

I often get matched up with with eastern players when I am in Vancouver. This happens with both solo and group. These games are brutal. My ping is in the high 40s and I feel so useless on the ice. I never want to play with eastern players. I don't care how long it takes to find a match. I would rather wait than play a laggy game.

Why can't we force a region for both club and drop in?

We should bring back the old system where we manually choose the region instead of the automated system in place. This should work for both club and drop-in. Sometimes we play with a friend from central US and he ends up making us match with eastern players when the rest of us are all in the west. We should be able to force West.
    Post edited by BassMan_PC on
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »

I often get matched up with with eastern players when I am in Vancouver. This happens with both solo and group. These games are brutal. My ping is in the high 40s and I feel so useless on the ice. I never want to play with eastern players. I don't care how long it takes to find a match. I would rather wait than play a laggy game.

We should bring back the old system where we manually choose the region instead of the automated system in place. This should work for both club and drop-in. Sometimes we play with a friend from central US and he ends up making us match with eastern players when the rest of us are all in the west. We should be able to force West.

I agree it would be nice. It would also help to see your ping in the lobby of drop-in and VS games. Right now, my ping against east coast people is in the 40's which is green in EA's connection meter, but is still pretty rough to play. So all my games are green (unless I have a problem on my end) and I have no way of knowing what my connection is like until puck drop. If I saw what my ping was ahead of time, I could tell immediately what server I was connected to.

• B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited January 2017
    BassMan_PC wrote: »

I agree it would be nice. It would also help to see your ping in the lobby of drop-in and VS games. Right now, my ping against east coast people is in the 40's which is green in EA's connection meter, but is still pretty rough to play. So all my games are green (unless I have a problem on my end) and I have no way of knowing what my connection is like until puck drop. If I saw what my ping was ahead of time, I could tell immediately what server I was connected to.

40 ping is pretty fair. Problem is ingame its only displaying the trip to the server, not back to you. So youre actually on 80 ping - which wouldnt be green. Its really misleading. Right now the color is only useful for major lag issues.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »

40 ping is pretty fair. Problem is ingame its only displaying the trip to the server, not back to you. So youre actually on 80 ping - which wouldnt be green. Its really misleading. Right now its only useful for major lag issues.

That's about where I'm at right now, with my best connections hovering around 30ms, and average closer to 40ms. What I don't understand is why I'm getting **** so often on faceoffs in EASHL though, because I did just fine before moving to ps4 for EASHL, and even on ps4 I still do quite well in VS/HUT.

I feel like whatever has changed that's causing faceoffs to perform this way is what others are seeing in terms of delayed movements. That gives me a few more ideas of questions to ask as well:

Is the game compensating more or less for bad connections than it did on ps3/360?
    Is the compensation all done on the server side, or does my own ps4 also delay video frames and/or network packets?
    Can you confirm that you've noticed some of the behavior that's been mentioned in this thread, and that while you may not be able to reproduce it consistently, you've had games where the controls were not as responsive as they should be?
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    B-Bunny wrote: »

40 ping is pretty fair. Problem is ingame its only displaying the trip to the server, not back to you. So youre actually on 80 ping - which wouldnt be green. Its really misleading. Right now its only useful for major lag issues.

That's about where I'm at right now, with my best connections hovering around 30ms, and average closer to 40ms. What I don't understand is why I'm getting **** so often on faceoffs in EASHL though, because I did just fine before moving to ps4 for EASHL, and even on ps4 I still do quite well in VS/HUT.

I feel like whatever has changed that's causing faceoffs to perform this way is what others are seeing in terms of delayed movements. That gives me a few more ideas of questions to ask as well:

Is the game compensating more or less for bad connections than it did on ps3/360?
    Is the compensation all done on the server side, or does my own ps4 also delay video frames and/or network packets?
    Can you confirm that you've noticed some of the behavior that's been mentioned in this thread, and that while you may not be able to reproduce it consistently, you've had games where the controls were not as responsive as they should be?

The only games where my controls aren't as responsive is where its displaying my ping higher than usual, which is when im on the west coast; and thats normal. Otherwise no I haven't experienced anything of the sorts.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Any idea when we might get someone from the EA Network team to respond?
  • Yeah, I'd love to know why my west coast team plays 90% on the east when every player is from California. We even played a game against another west coast team that was hosted on the east servers. I think 18 is the first year I'm skipping since 09. Luckily there are a ton of good games coming out, and crackdown 3 will probably take up all my free time haha
  • Socair
    2695 posts Game Changer
    Yeah, I'd love to know why my west coast team plays 90% on the east when every player is from California. We even played a game against another west coast team that was hosted on the east servers. I think 18 is the first year I'm skipping since 09. Luckily there are a ton of good games coming out, and crackdown 3 will probably take up all my free time haha
    Yes, a lot of western players in club are being routed east. Pings appear normal, but the game is slow and we get rolled or struggle to score and when we go to club search it shows the recommended region is east.

Too bad they don't have micro transactions in EASHL, we might get server maintenance or something to help. But I won't be buying 18, club is my mode and it's not playable 90% of the time.
  • Socair wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd love to know why my west coast team plays 90% on the east when every player is from California. We even played a game against another west coast team that was hosted on the east servers. I think 18 is the first year I'm skipping since 09. Luckily there are a ton of good games coming out, and crackdown 3 will probably take up all my free time haha
    Yes, a lot of western players in club are being routed east. Pings appear normal, but the game is slow and we get rolled or struggle to score and when we go to club search it shows the recommended region is east.

Too bad they don't have micro transactions in EASHL, we might get server maintenance or something to help. But I won't be buying 18, club is my mode and it's not playable 90% of the time.
    That really sucks. I seriously believe they shut off the west servers on certain days/times. If not EA, you have the worst networking for a game I've ever played. If you're on Xbox what's your team name?

• NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Any idea when we might get someone from the EA Network team to respond?

Just as an update, I have passed on the thread. Not sure when there will be response though.
  • xxH3llsp4wNxx
    253 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Any idea when we might get someone from the EA Network team to respond?

Just as an update, I have passed on the thread. Not sure when there will be response though.

Thanks. It would be great to know what's up with the servers. If the west server gets taken down, whatever, I just want to know when I can play.

I can't believe we're getting so much dev involvement. It's a nice change, but I'm seriously getting worried your going to get burned out.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we're gonna get a straight answer from the EA network team, they won't be allowed to tell it like it is, even if they wanted. It would create a huge ****-storm. :|

Previously the inquiries about poor connection have been on the level of 'check your settings' and 'it's your connection', so why would it change all of sudden?

We played several EASHL games yesterday (most oppos in the same country as we), and all of the games were sluggish, even if the ping was 32 to 34 for me. My best ping has been 31 this season, and it never goes below it. At 31 the game plays pretty good, anything other, and it's just fat man all over. It doesn't seem to bother our opponents? I think couple of guys in our team have wireless connections, so that might be a big issue, but they don't play all the time however, and I am not seeing a pattern related to them. We need more information than the current connection quality to check if we can improve our games, and answering to the questions in this thread would go a long way in helping to sort this out.

It's gotten so it's not worth playing anymore. It was better before Christmas.
  • dannovision
    76 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    According to EADev they've known about these game breaking issues for months but have never even acknowledged their existence. The game's been out for 4 months now (5 months if you include the beta) and I think this is such a slap in the face as a customer, especially after we dealt with this same **** last year with NHL 16.

For those of you who aren't aware, nearly the exact same thing happened with NHL 16. It had a game breaking lag issue for the first 5 months. They didn't even acknowledge its existence for about 3-4 months despite tons of posts on the EA Forums about it. They did fix it eventually in February (which is still very hard for me to believe since it was so late in the development cycle) but I was happy I could finally play the game the way it should've been played from the beginning.

So here're my questions...

1) How in the hell do you mess up this badly again, especially when the game hardly changes from year to year?

2) Why haven't these issues even been acknowledged yet? You would know about them if you've ever played your own game or clicked on this forum.

You guys are a real joke. Take some pride in your game.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    By the way, I dunno much about networking, but would there be an easy way to limit the connection speed my PS4 gets? Other than running apps in the background? I have a VDSL modem on a wired connection?

If I can't speed up my connection, I could always try to see what effect slowing down would actually have? Would be interesting to see what it causes maybe?
  • It's so tough to pinpoint any logic behind it all. I created a club, using the west coast server...I'm in Cali...I play with my friends all from Chicago...and we never lag...maybe once in a great while.
  • Socair
    2695 posts Game Changer
    Socair wrote: »

That really ****. I seriously believe they shut off the west servers on certain days/times. If not EA, you have the worst networking for a game I've ever played. If you're on Xbox what's your team name?
    On PS4. So it's an issue on both platforms and not limited to a certain ISP.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Alright, thanks Kory. I will take a look, I've been fiddling a little with the settings to get the right ports open anyways.

EDIT: yes, my ASUS modem has Menu item 'Traffic Manager' and in it there's an option to turn QOS on, and after that I can set bandwidth limit for download and upload of my 'client devices'. I have my PC and PS4 connected on this modem, no others at the moment, and no devices using the wireless network (which I guess could be turned off since I don't use it?)
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Alright, thanks Kory. I will take a look, I've been fiddling a little with the settings to get the right ports open anyways.

EDIT: yes, my ASUS modem has Menu item 'Traffic Manager' and in it there's an option to turn QOS on, and after that I can set bandwidth limit for download and upload of my 'client devices'. I have my PC and PS4 connected on this modem, no others at the moment, and no devices using the wireless network (which I guess could be turned off since I don't use it?)

What's the goal or intent of this? If it is traffic shaping, typically you do that if you have (for example) a full Gig LAN and a slower WAN access circuit in an enterprise environment.

Meaning, full Gig speeds on the LAN are available / possible but, say you have a 100 Mbps Ethernet service. What can happen there is users attempt to transfer large files or uploads from (or on) the Gig speed LAN, so a full Gig worth of data hits the WAN access port (i.e. the port / interface that connects to your ISP) and you have excessive buffering as you can't cram a Gig (per sec) over a 100 Mb connection - so there is excessive buffering, discards and so on at that interface (where the "LAN" meets the "WAN" let's say)... it's trying to hook a garden hose to a fire hydrant.

Now, if there are users on your network that are big torrent guys or you have limited bandwidth and a house full of people gangbanging your WiFi network streaming Hi Def programs while you are gaming then I could see trying the consumer grade router QoS in an effort to lock out bandwidth.

One problem with some of these router's QoS methods is how they go about doing it. Depending on how the manufacturer (or user) sets it up, you can get packet or port inspection going on or an algorithm introduced to accomplish the "QoS". Typically introducing any type of inspection of RTP (real time protocol) traffic or game traffic you are introducing the possibility of added latency.

Not saying don't try it. Just curious as to the reasons why and wanted to share some thoughts.