EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Connection Questions

Replies

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Just fiddling with it for the want of better things to do, I guess? :)

I have only a modest connection by modern standards 100/10, but out of curiosity I want to see how the game plays online, if I cut the speed down to half or even a quarter. I am expecting it to get worse, but how much, really.

It's easy enough to revert back to the original setting anyways, so I don't see a problem? The QOS page talks about giving online gaming priority, so might as well try it out at the same time. So far it's been off by default.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Just fiddling with it for the want of better things to do, I guess? :)

I have only a modest connection by modern standards 100/10, but out of curiosity I want to see how the game plays online, if I cut the speed down to half or even a quarter. I am expecting it to get worse, but how much, really.

It's easy enough to revert back to the original setting anyways, so I don't see a problem? The QOS page talks about giving online gaming priority, so might as well try it out at the same time. So far it's been off by default.

Oh yeah I mean don't get me wrong, I was just curious.
    And you can't go wrong (in this case) trying things that you can always revert.

I don't want to come off giving the interpretation that consumer grade router QoS is the devil... but wanted to say that there are some cases where it hinders more than helps.

Cheers.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, so I had only time for three games tonight, one was drop-in Eashl, one team Eashl, and one 1v1 game. It was interesting. I used the Traffic Manager / QOS on 'traditional QOS' and set the download bandwidth to 25 Mb/s and upload to 3 Mb/s.

Both EASHL games run pretty same as on full connection speed. My ping was 34 in both games which has been the par recently. Maybe it was a placebo effect, but gameplay seemed more 'rooted' as it were, the player (d-man in both) didn't do the usual stagger lunges and seemed a little more steady. But it was just two games, and I need to play more to really know if there's any difference. But let's be charitable and say that there was very little difference (maybe a little better feel). Which is rather surprising since I choked the speed from 100/10 Mb/s to this, but what do I know.

In the versus game my connection speed was only 'fair' with yellow bars, and ping around high 50s. But the game was nevertheless very playable to be honest, I didn't notice any difference. I even won it 3-2.

I will contine testing just out of curiosity. The QOS setting has also the option for 'bandwidth limiter' in which you can limit it for individual devices, maybe try that too if I want to use one speed for PC and one for the PS4?
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Yes, so I gathered, and haven't used that yet. I played some more EASHL games, and varied the bandwith setting in them. I had 20/3 Mbps, and even 15/10 Mbps. Choking bandwith that muc does seem to affect gameplay, the difference was clear when I returned back to full 100/10 Mbps.

I realise this is just my connection, and it may have only limited effect on the overall connection quality etc. But while I did all these changes, ping never went anywere from 33 to 35 range. Even at the lowest 15/10 setting. So I am asking what good is the ping?
    Yes, so I gathered, and haven't used that yet. I played some more EASHL games, and varied the bandwith setting in them. I had 20/3 Mbps, and even 15/10 Mbps. Choking bandwith that muc does seem to affect gameplay, the difference was clear when I returned back to full 100/10 Mbps.

I realise this is just my connection, and it may have only limited effect on the overall connection quality etc. But while I did all these changes, ping never went anywere from 33 to 35 range. Even at the lowest 15/10 setting. So I am asking what good is the ping?

Round trip ping times / latency and bandwidth are two different topics.

If you had available bandwidth, no matter what you limited it to, the ping wouldn't change.

An ICMP packet is tiny.

To answer your question of "what good is the ping", it can monitor spikes, excessive delay or latency and tell you if there is an obvious issue along the path from your console to the end server / destination of the ping.

There is more to this than the "ping times", for sure. I again saw a laggy game the other night when I had a constant 12-13 ms ping. I am on the east coast.

Next game, same ping times, no lag at all.

I've written novels on this subject and the theories... I believe there is an element that has to do with 12 consoles of users across the country / countries / world with a game that is trying to have perfect physics / bounces and has to sync all this animation with 12 potential consoles.

In a lot of cases with networking, in order to accomplish this you would control the flow of data down to the lowest common denominator. I.E. the "slowest" or most latent connection.

I am not saying this is gospel. I am not saying this is the case. Just throwing it out there.
  • But I guess the uptake is we sure could use better tools to analyze the whole connection dilemma?
    But I guess the uptake is we sure could use better tools to analyze the whole connection dilemma?

I have a suspicion that EA and it's vendors know what the deal is.

Either way, (to me) the issue is either at a higher level in the OSI stack than layer 1, 2, and 3 or the issue is beyond your connection from your console to the destination of that ping.... where ever that is to whatever element.
    But I guess the uptake is we sure could use better tools to analyze the whole connection dilemma?

Agreed. It's almost as if we need to know the connection quality of every user in a game before we can determine how well the game will play. To that point, I think maybe I'll finally have some time to try diving in and doing some packet captures to try and reverse engineer what's going on as best as I can.

Also, to address your earlier point, I would be surprised if 20/3 Mbps, or 15/10 Mbps had a noticeable impact on gameplay, since I have my own logs that show overall usage of well under 1 Mbps up or down. A negative impact because of that sort of limit would seem impossible.
  • Just like I suspected, playing on the West Saturday night and we always stayed in our own region. Sunday night back to playing on the East. Makes for a impossible game against a bunch of 900s.

• Also, to address your earlier point, I would be surprised if 20/3 Mbps, or 15/10 Mbps had a noticeable impact on gameplay, since I have my own logs that show overall usage of well under 1 Mbps up or down. A negative impact because of that sort of limit would seem impossible.

Yeah, it's hard to say anything definite, since the connection varies with each game so much. Is it down to my changes and/or something else entirely? Impossible to say, since there are so many unknown variables, different teams etc.

• sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    Your ping and color don't mean a thing in this game, I've had green and had huge input delay issues, and had game in the yellow that felt better than green. Always feel delayed/input lag regardless, some games worse than others but every game is delayed.

Why this seems to be the only game this happens to is not coincidence, there is something outdated and wrong with EA's online code.
  • goodrev42
    1 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    If you really want to be dissppointed I played 4 games last night. I am always captain and average a ping between 6-10. Even with that either I, or one of my team mates get either random bouts of intense input lag, or consisten 1/2 - 1 second delay on controls.

It's a terrible issue and is a joke that it's been happening for 4 months. I was in the beta and the game performed fine, I don't know where they screwed up to make the servers lag. If your servers suck, stop giving NHL the old battlefield servers from 7 years ago and give this game what it deserves. I and my 5 team mates have already been talking about not purchasing Next year, which is a shame being we have been playing since the inception of EASHL.

The bigger shame is that there is no competition to EA being they bought the licensing right and muscled ESPN hockey out in 07. Aka we are stuck with this turd developed by college students.
  • Tonight I went into a drop in lobby and the connection indicator in the top right corner was blank (no bars, no colours, no poor/fair/good, nothing). I joined the game anyway and didn't notice anything wrong with the gameplay. No lag/input delay (nothing). It played as well as it normally does for me. Then during the first intermission I checked the connection and was shocked to see it said I had an average ping of 300. I've never even knew it was possible it could be that high. Rest of the game played just as well as the first period. ****? I was definitely confused.

That's insane if true. 300ms should be essentially unplayable.
  • Tonight I went into a drop in lobby and the connection indicator in the top right corner was blank (no bars, no colours, no poor/fair/good, nothing). I joined the game anyway and didn't notice anything wrong with the gameplay. No lag/input delay (nothing). It played as well as it normally does for me. Then during the first intermission I checked the connection and was shocked to see it said I had an average ping of 300. I've never even knew it was possible it could be that high. Rest of the game played just as well as the first period. ****? I was definitely confused.

That's insane if true. 300ms should be essentially unplayable.

I could see a spike or two... but constant 300 ms shouldn't even be allowed IMO - you should get booted for hitting over a threshold.

just my opinions.
  • hot-rivit
    91 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Either poor lag compensation v. server architecture or you have one or more players with very high ping consuming more CPU cycles, causing the game to be slower than normal. See this alot when a west coast player tries to play with a east coast club or in LGHL. Almost always see this with 6v6 games, when it occurs.

Typically, servers would just auto-kick a high ping player, but since this is NHL, players would rather play with a lagging player than a cpu.

• Ever since about midway through December my connection has been unbearable. I only try to play once a week now. The guy with the worst connection on my team and myself have been struggling. (by the numbers, my connection should be perfect) Other people seem completely unaffected. I have no idea what I can possibly do to improve things. Hopefully EA will have some type of answers that could lead us in a general direction to fix things, either on our end or theirs.
  • Ever since about midway through December my connection has been unbearable. I only try to play once a week now. The guy with the worst connection on my team and myself have been struggling. (by the numbers, my connection should be perfect) Other people seem completely unaffected. I have no idea what I can possibly do to improve things. Hopefully EA will have some type of answers that could lead us in a general direction to fix things, either on our end or theirs.

They will never admit to it being on their end. It'll either be magically fixed in a patch one day or next game(lol no). They will not come out and admit fault.

It happens to me as well. Truthfully, I feel its server congestion. Just alot of Xmas noobs that get the game and fill up servers to capacity. Unfortunately, this "crap" gets worse as we inch closer to NHL playoffs (IRL). Just avoid peak-hours if it really bothers you or stick to VS/HUT.