EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Connection Questions

Replies

• I think publishing a document that explains in detail exactly how this application communicates online followed by a series of Q and A would be best. Put to bed all the mystery and then open up a moderated forum for questions and complaints in regards to online play.

All of this seems over the top but most games don't suffer from the issues this game does with just providing a somewhat stable online experience.

Edited your post to establish better credibility and improve the quality.
  • Yes, much of this would go over the majority of folk's heads...

but there are network folks on these forums that likely could keep up.
  • Guys, seriously lol... NHL 16 (after the February 2016 update) was 10x better online than NHL 17. In fact, it was the best this series has ever played online. So what changed in the 7 months between that update and NHL 17? Do you really think it has anything to do with IPv4/IPv6? I seriously doubt it.
    Someone dropped the ball bigtime over there (yet again) and/or we're waiting on *insert some EA game*'s servers to free up, because EA is cheap as f. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true and the problem magically gets fixed again in February and they blame it on some **** glitch like last year (sync error).
    Either way it's pretty inexcusable to have this poor of an online experience from one of the largest video game companies in the world.
    Last point worth mentioning, they haven't even acknowledged that there's even a problem. Nice.
  • EA has never admitted to there being a problem on their end before. "The issue is between you and your ISP" has been their go to phrase for the longest time. Just something to remember as we proceed with these discussions.

@BoboFloggins I was wondering.. if there is some sort of lag compensation for EASHL that makes sure the dude with the slowest/worst connection is seeing what everyone else is seeing (which I'm pretty sure EA has said was the case) then would it not help to limit who can play that game mode based on their connection quality? Like, if someone's ACTUAL connection quality (before compensation) is worse than a certain threshold, then they either can't join the game or get booted during.

This is of course assuming that people aren't being completely screwed by EA's server routing.

• Follisimo wrote: »

Did they acknowledge a problem though? I mean best he can probably deal with some individuals then tell them to deal with their ISP and both sides say nothing is wrong on their end. That is my prediction like we had last year.

depending on the "they" youre referring to , yes.

If the actual online team thinks their is not a problem, especially after speaking with Ben....then clearly they aren't being ignorant, but arrogant.

Just to reiterate, there's nothing they can say that will personally change my opinion. Nhl 18 comes out and it's not a leggy mess, I won't be thanking them becuase of the years I endured through their horrific servers.

Purchasing a fully functional online game that runs smoothly is a standard. Anytime that standard is not met, it better be fixed quickly. If it can not, then the consequent repercussions will be endured.

I.e. public backlash, people losing jobs
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    EA has never admitted to there being a problem on their end before. "The issue is between you and your ISP" has been their go to phrase for the longest time. Just something to remember as we proceed with these discussions.

@BoboFloggins I was wondering.. if there is some sort of lag compensation for EASHL that makes sure the dude with the slowest/worst connection is seeing what everyone else is seeing (which I'm pretty sure EA has said was the case) then would it not help to limit who can play that game mode based on their connection quality? Like, if someone's ACTUAL connection quality (before compensation) is worse than a certain threshold, then they either can't join the game or get booted during.

This is of course assuming that people aren't being completely screwed by EA's server routing.

I would assume this is the case already. Meaning, there are thresholds for protocols and servers measure latency and determine if the threshold is exceeded or not. If it is, then typically a user (in this scenario) would be booted / disco'd or as you mention, can't join. If you tighten the thresholds too much, you can get an undesired amount of disco's in this case.
  • theleafsnation
    61 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Something must be up with EA servers! whats with the 3 on 3 lobby's ? No d or Goalies
  • Something must be up with EA servers! whats with the 3 on 3 lobby's ? No d or Goalies
    Are you talking drop-in?
  • Yea drop ins
  • Yea drop ins

lol welcome to september
  • Yea drop ins

I noticed when I try to play drop-in with a friend, and we both pick forward, all we find are games with 3 forwards on each side. If we pick D or G, then we immediately get placed into a game with 6's.

If you want larger games, you have to be willing to play D or G. This is why I don't like the new format of drop-in where you choose your spot before the lobby loads. I think it hurts things more than helps, and everyone who was against it before it was implemented was right on their criticisms. It's harder to find larger games if you want to play F. You can't choose your side. You can't go into a room thinking, I feel like playing F, oh, but if I go G, we can have 2 humans goalies this game, so I'll do that instead.

It's also all but impossible to go into a game with a friend, both choose goalie on opposite teams and see who plays better. I used to love doing that. Now I can matchup 30 times before we finally get tossed into the same lobby.
  • Last night, our connection was terrible. 3 games, 3 terrible experiences. The first game was manageable, and we did win. We were away.

The second game, I felt fine in regards to delay, but it was a typical fat man lag type of game where nothing worked for us. They would pickup everything, loose pucks would always seem to go right to them, and we couldn't pick up anything. Our AI goalie was terrible. Our AI d-men were terrible (significantly worse than most games). What is worth noting about this one is that we matched up with this team and we were home. They immediately backed out. We searched again, got matched up with the same team, except they were home this time. We played the game and had a terribly frustrating experience. We decided after two laggy away games in a row, we were only going to play as home. We searched about 10 times. Each time we matched up against this same club, and they were home every time.

Finally we waited a minute, took off match club size, and we were matched up against a 2's team when we were home. Nothing of note about this one. It was a little laggy, but gameplay seemed pretty much normal. AI wasn't turnaround and skate away from the puckcarrier on a 1-on2 stupid, AI goalie let in what he stopped pucks he should have, puck bounces were normal, etc...

These kinds of experiences make me really think about these two questions:
    [*] What determines who is the home team, because most of our games are away, like 9/10. Lately it's been about 50/50 and we've noticed better connections, home or away in most of these games.
    [*] Does playing home give a better connection? I think most people believe so, as lots of people back out if they are away. We've noticed better connections at home most games.

Why couldn't we match up as home team against that second club. Is connection the reason we kept getting put as the away team? Was it some type of home team connection advantage that made the second game so much more frustrating than the other two we played?

In all 3 games, my ping was 11ms, so all east coast, but wildly different experiences.

Really just posting some anecdotal experiences to try and keep this thread from dying before we get any type of answers.
  • Really just posting some anecdotal experiences to try and keep this thread from dying before we get any type of answers.

you are kidding yourself if you think we will ever get any answers to any of this. we've been asking for answers for nearly 5 years. regardless of what they say, the results speak for themselves.
  • Pydoc908 wrote: »
    Every other game can be played with virtually no problems but when it comes to the NHL series even the best connections have problems. There will be those who defend EA and say get better internet but if i am able to smoothly stream 4k content with no problems I would imagine playing a video game should work fine as well.

You'd think that, but streaming content and dealing with real time protocol traffic in a server / client environment which requires up to 12 consoles across a continent to be in near perfect sync is comparing apples to grenade launchers.
  • Pydoc908 wrote: »
    Every other game can be played with virtually no problems but when it comes to the NHL series even the best connections have problems. There will be those who defend EA and say get better internet but if i am able to smoothly stream 4k content with no problems I would imagine playing a video game should work fine as well.

You'd think that, but streaming content and dealing with real time protocol traffic in a server / client environment which requires up to 12 consoles across a continent to be in near perfect sync is comparing apples to grenade launchers.

Ya better analogy would be: "Me and my 11 friends want to stream the same content at the exact same time and ensure we are in perfect sync, and if someone pauses the stream it should pause and resume at the same time for everyone."
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    Pydoc908 wrote: »

Ya better analogy would be: "Me and my 11 friends want to stream the same content at the exact same time and ensure we are in perfect sync, and if someone pauses the stream it should pause and resume at the same time for everyone."

not really
  • since none of us have the slightest clue what the code is doing we would all just being completely guessing and wasting our time.

but what we can do is this simplify the discussion to say "EA are you seriously trying to tell us that this game is the most complex online game of all time and that is the excuse for years of terribly unstable play?"

And throw out the whole sync 12 players simultaneously argument. 1 on 1 vs/hut has historically been much worse than eashl. that doesn't even get into things like random boots, crashes, etc.

This discussion could go on and on and frankly they don't have any answers, which is why they will never do what many of us have requested in the past, a QandA session where the technology is explained, mysteries explained, issues identified and prioritized with a plan for attacking those problems.

At best you can expect some random person to come in here and cherry pick a couple of items that they will spin and nothing will come from it.
  • since none of us have the slightest clue what the code is doing we would all just being completely guessing and wasting our time.

but what we can do is this simplify the discussion to say "EA are you seriously trying to tell us that this game is the most complex online game of all time and that is the excuse for years of terribly unstable play?"

And throw out the whole sync 12 players simultaneously argument. 1 on 1 vs/hut has historically been much worse than eashl. that doesn't even get into things like random boots, crashes, etc.

This discussion could go on and on and frankly they don't have any answers, which is why they will never do what many of us have requested in the past, a QandA session where the technology is explained, mysteries explained, issues identified and prioritized with a plan for attacking those problems.

At best you can expect some random person to come in here and cherry pick a couple of items that they will spin and nothing will come from it.

Hmmmm.

No.