EA Forums - Banner

Manual switching needs to be in next year

Prev13
No exceptions. We have been neglected far too long and im tired of trying to switch to my d man 3 times only to switch to the same two players back to back to back, while my cpu d men do nothing but stand around.

Manual switching needs to be in next years game or its clear that the requests of the people who play this game are blatantly ignored every year. Theres enough people that complain about this to warrant putting it into the game

Replies

  • That makes too much sense, be careful you'll get in trouble. My advise, play better defense.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited January 2017
    Saying that you have been neglected is a bit far.

    The request has been heard. We actually had a couple quick prototypes for manual player switching and didn't feel they were ready to commit to last cycle. Hopefully we have a chance to continue to pursue them and see where they get us in the future.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Saying that you have been neglected is a bit far.

    The request has been heard. We actually had a couple quick prototypes for manual player switching and didn't feel they were ready to commit to last cycle. Hopefully we have a chance to continue to pursue them and see where they get us in the future.

    so we'll see manual player switching come NHL25?

    what about taking a page out of 989 Sports NHL Face Offs book and go with ICON passing / ICON player selection?
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    so we'll see manual player switching come NHL25?

    what about taking a page out of 989 Sports NHL Face Offs book and go with ICON passing / ICON player selection?

    Lose the edge and you will get further.

    Icon player switching was one of the prototypes, as was a directional switch. It unfortunately takes a lot more to get something into the game than the idea.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    so we'll see manual player switching come NHL25?

    what about taking a page out of 989 Sports NHL Face Offs book and go with ICON passing / ICON player selection?

    Lose the edge and you will get further.

    Icon player switching was one of the prototypes, as was a directional switch. It unfortunately takes a lot more to get something into the game than the idea.

    Why can't you guys just implement last gens player switching? I know I've said this multiple times already but I don't understand why this is such a difficult thing to do. I never had a single problem with player switching on last gen.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    so we'll see manual player switching come NHL25?

    what about taking a page out of 989 Sports NHL Face Offs book and go with ICON passing / ICON player selection?

    Lose the edge and you will get further.

    Icon player switching was one of the prototypes, as was a directional switch. It unfortunately takes a lot more to get something into the game than the idea.

    C'mon mate, we ask for ABC to get fixed YEAR IN and YEAR OUT and you guys beat your chest and proudly say But But But we're giving you xyz...isn't that much more fun???

    So you're telling me it took a sheet ton to put Hot Dog Vendors / Mascots in the game but it takes even 100x a sheet ton to get the SOMETIMES fixed

    SOMETIMES the goalies chest is invisible, SOMETIMES it's a solid. SOMETIMES a skaters skate is invisible, SOMETIMES it is a solid
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    so we'll see manual player switching come NHL25?

    what about taking a page out of 989 Sports NHL Face Offs book and go with ICON passing / ICON player selection?

    Lose the edge and you will get further.

    Icon player switching was one of the prototypes, as was a directional switch. It unfortunately takes a lot more to get something into the game than the idea.

    Would be nice if there was an alternate button and you could assign positions to say left bumper+ a or b or x or d pad , whatever you so desire ...
  • I personally think the best way is to use directional player switching. Hold RT and use the RS to get the guy I want. Have the Just tap the RT (like it is now) as the default and put the directional as an option in the controller settings.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited January 2017
    Yep, those were essentially the two prototypes. We tried both RS and LS switch when holding down RT and for icon switching, we just used holding RT as the modifier, not another button such as LB as suggested but anything could be done. It was more the logic, consistency and finding any issues that didn't allow us to get there before needing a green light.

    There are a few knock on issues to consider for each and we have designs to handle those cases but it is those things that leads to needing more code and testing.

  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    so we'll see manual player switching come NHL25?

    what about taking a page out of 989 Sports NHL Face Offs book and go with ICON passing / ICON player selection?

    Lose the edge and you will get further.

    Icon player switching was one of the prototypes, as was a directional switch. It unfortunately takes a lot more to get something into the game than the idea.

    C'mon mate, we ask for ABC to get fixed YEAR IN and YEAR OUT and you guys beat your chest and proudly say But But But we're giving you xyz...isn't that much more fun???

    So you're telling me it took a sheet ton to put Hot Dog Vendors / Mascots in the game but it takes even 100x a sheet ton to get the SOMETIMES fixed

    SOMETIMES the goalies chest is invisible, SOMETIMES it's a solid. SOMETIMES a skaters skate is invisible, SOMETIMES it is a solid

    Good way to get your questions ignored with that "edge", mate. If you grow up a little, you'll get more answers but with this childish attitude, it's just easier to bypass your post.

    Think about it.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    I know some people think icon switching is the way to go, but I'm unconvinced that it would work well in a game as fast as hockey. I'm also not a fan of how it clutters the screen, but that's obviously just me, since everyone who plays EASHL is used to multiple icons on screen all the time. A FIFA-style switching system seems more promising to me.

    On the other hand, as someone already mentioned in this thread, I don't know why we can't just go back to the switching logic in the old-gen game. Last-gen player switching worked great for the most part -- I have no idea why it was scrapped in the new-gen game, or why switching has actually gotten worse each year in the new-gen game.
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    so we'll see manual player switching come NHL25?

    what about taking a page out of 989 Sports NHL Face Offs book and go with ICON passing / ICON player selection?

    Lose the edge and you will get further.

    Icon player switching was one of the prototypes, as was a directional switch. It unfortunately takes a lot more to get something into the game than the idea.

    C'mon mate, we ask for ABC to get fixed YEAR IN and YEAR OUT and you guys beat your chest and proudly say But But But we're giving you xyz...isn't that much more fun???

    So you're telling me it took a sheet ton to put Hot Dog Vendors / Mascots in the game but it takes even 100x a sheet ton to get the SOMETIMES fixed

    SOMETIMES the goalies chest is invisible, SOMETIMES it's a solid. SOMETIMES a skaters skate is invisible, SOMETIMES it is a solid

    Good way to get your questions ignored with that "edge", mate. If you grow up a little, you'll get more answers but with this childish attitude, it's just easier to bypass your post.

    Think about it.

    I'm tired of getting the same ol same ol Answers. It's now 2017, please explain why Issues A B and C which plagued NHL13 are still in today's game (4 years, 4 installments later). Ever chase a Avionics wiring issue on a Aircraft? The longer you stare at it, rack your brain over it, the more frustrated you become....this is where having FRESH EYES / FRESH IDEAS come in and help you figure out the issue. I'm not saying this Dev team should be fired but maybe just maybe it's time to bring in FRESH EYES to look at problems that have plagued this game since NHL13.
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    KoryDub wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    I know some people think icon switching is the way to go, but I'm unconvinced that it would work well in a game as fast as hockey.

    If it worked like it did in 2k and in 989's efforts, the icons would be the same for each position. Meaning, passing to the Centre would be the same button all the time, so after some practice, you'd become instinctual at passing to all positions with icons. It definitely would not be a setting for casual users, but the hardcore guys would likely become proficient at cycling once the button maps for icon passing were memorized.

    EXACTLY!! Is it The Show where the controller buttons coincide with the Infield, or am I wrong here (I'm an Xbox guy so just to use that controller as my example)

    X - 3B (left button, 3B is on left side of Diamond)
    Y - 2B (top button, 2B is top of Diamond)
    B - 1B (right button, 1B is on right side of Diamond
    A - Home (bottom button, Home Plate is on bottom of Diamond)
    Post edited by joefitz22 on
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited January 2017
    In the prototype, we did it by screen space. (top most, left most, right most, bottom most, of the 4 remaining players) If you are looking at the player you want to switch to and know the buttons, it isn't too difficult to see that it is a B that pops up over their head, especially when in most cases, it will align with the orientation on the controller how the buttons map out on screen. The only time it doesn't are when two players are close together and it needs to do the best job it can to choose using the screen space logic.

    Also in the design were visual settings so that, if you are like Bmh, and don't want to clutter your screen and feel the directional stick switching would work for you instead, you can have the visual indicators off. With the stick switching, it would move the icon to the player you were pointing at but wouldn't give you control until you released. That way, you could possibly continue to roll it around to get the player you wanted without taking players out of position. Then, if there was a concern for people that you would just do that to let the cpu play D, we could possibly turn off defensive actions for the player that is in that 'mid' control state.

    Anyways, all ideas that went around during prototyping. There is a bunch of other stuff in the design of what needs to be taken into account and if we get a chance to dive back into it, there will be a bunch of user testing around it. Just not sure when that will be.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Also in the design were visual settings so that, if you are like Bmh, and don't want to clutter your screen and feel the directional stick switching would work for you instead, you can have the visual indicators off. With the stick switching, it would move the icon to the player you were pointing at but wouldn't give you control until you released. That way, you could possibly continue to roll it around to get the player you wanted without taking players out of position.

    This sounds promising. Certainly having the option to, in effect, use directional switching instead would be great.


  • That "if we get a chance to dive back into it" sounds little depressing Ben :)
  • Since this is a key function of the game, and clearly one with major problems, maybe someone in charge should put a * next to it and make fixing it a priority.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    nickels55 wrote: »
    Since this is a key function of the game, and clearly one with major problems, maybe someone in charge should put a * next to it and make fixing it a priority.

    There are a lot of things with a '*' next to them.

    This is one of the things that got early prototypes so you can take that as a sign we know it is a priority. There are other threads on this forum asking that we don't add new features until they are ready. Can't win I guess but trying to be as transparent as I can without overpromising something.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    nickels55 wrote: »
    Since this is a key function of the game, and clearly one with major problems, maybe someone in charge should put a * next to it and make fixing it a priority.

    There are a lot of things with a '*' next to them.

    This is one of the things that got early prototypes so you can take that as a sign we know it is a priority. There are other threads on this forum asking that we don't add new features until they are ready. Can't win I guess but trying to be as transparent as I can without overpromising something.

    I give you credit for dealing with the masses, for sure.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    eric57664 wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    so we'll see manual player switching come NHL25?

    what about taking a page out of 989 Sports NHL Face Offs book and go with ICON passing / ICON player selection?

    Lose the edge and you will get further.

    Icon player switching was one of the prototypes, as was a directional switch. It unfortunately takes a lot more to get something into the game than the idea.

    C'mon mate, we ask for ABC to get fixed YEAR IN and YEAR OUT and you guys beat your chest and proudly say But But But we're giving you xyz...isn't that much more fun???

    So you're telling me it took a sheet ton to put Hot Dog Vendors / Mascots in the game but it takes even 100x a sheet ton to get the SOMETIMES fixed

    SOMETIMES the goalies chest is invisible, SOMETIMES it's a solid. SOMETIMES a skaters skate is invisible, SOMETIMES it is a solid

    Good way to get your questions ignored with that "edge", mate. If you grow up a little, you'll get more answers but with this childish attitude, it's just easier to bypass your post.

    Think about it.

    I'm tired of getting the same ol same ol Answers. It's now 2017, please explain why Issues A B and C which plagued NHL13 are still in today's game (4 years, 4 installments later). Ever chase a Avionics wiring issue on a Aircraft? The longer you stare at it, rack your brain over it, the more frustrated you become....this is where having FRESH EYES / FRESH IDEAS come in and help you figure out the issue. I'm not saying this Dev team should be fired but maybe just maybe it's time to bring in FRESH EYES to look at problems that have plagued this game since NHL13.

    If you're tired, then maybe move on to another game for a year or two and come back with a refreshed mind body and soul. You know, like a vacation as opposed to firing a whole team just so you could be happy? Lol.

    We're are talking about people's livelihoods here and all you care about is a video game? Priorities man, priorities.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!