EA Forums - Banner

NHL 18 EASHL

Replies

• BLicK12
    86 posts Member
    BLicK12 wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    The only honest argument for player progression in EASHL is that people who play thousands of games want to dominate. The game doesnt get stale because you cannot create the speedy dangler grinder snipers who we all are in real life, it gets stale because you cannot achieve anything as a team outside of community leagues. It's way too fast and easy to get to div 1 and for a decent team it isn't difficult to win it every 'season'.

Rammer and the gang really should look into how other competitive games do it and go from there. One thing is that they need to upgrade the CR system and have it be something similar to Rocket League's tier/division setup. Another idea is that a club should have it's own CR that is the basis for matchmaking and leaderboards. That way there would be a lot more action in the leaderboards and you could see what the hottest teams atm are.

On a sidenote, EASHL could really use some unique presentation aspects that would create some personality for the players on a team, preferably in the announcer dialogue and not in some stoppage cutscene (EASHL shouldn't have cutscenes anyway). Things like the last ten games of a team, newest member on a team, preferred builds and positions, who is the leading scorer and other stats etc.

Sounds good, unfortunately there's this laughable statement:
    • Given the heavy focus on EASHL the last two years, EA didn't put as much work into the mode this year.

well its quite true statement. they have said it several times, that they have put more focus on it past 2 years. sure its not the best it can be. but still by far most fun game mode. that is if you have good group of players who play well together and you dont have to play with bots

Given that "heavy focus" I'd expect that EASHL would be far ahead of where it is, not far behind the previous gen. It might be the best game mode, but that's not saying much because the other game modes are absolute trash.
  • BLicK12 wrote: »
    The only honest argument for player progression in EASHL is that people who play thousands of games want to dominate. The game doesnt get stale because you cannot create the speedy dangler grinder snipers who we all are in real life, it gets stale because you cannot achieve anything as a team outside of community leagues. It's way too fast and easy to get to div 1 and for a decent team it isn't difficult to win it every 'season'.

Rammer and the gang really should look into how other competitive games do it and go from there. One thing is that they need to upgrade the CR system and have it be something similar to Rocket League's tier/division setup. Another idea is that a club should have it's own CR that is the basis for matchmaking and leaderboards. That way there would be a lot more action in the leaderboards and you could see what the hottest teams atm are.

On a sidenote, EASHL could really use some unique presentation aspects that would create some personality for the players on a team, preferably in the announcer dialogue and not in some stoppage cutscene (EASHL shouldn't have cutscenes anyway). Things like the last ten games of a team, newest member on a team, preferred builds and positions, who is the leading scorer and other stats etc.

• Given the heavy focus on EASHL the last two years, EA didn't put as much work into the mode this year.

well its quite true statement. they have said it several times, that they have put more focus on it past 2 years. sure its not the best it can be. but still by far most fun game mode. that is if you have good group of players who play well together and you dont have to play with bots

Given that "heavy focus" I'd expect that EASHL would be far ahead of where it is, not far behind the previous gen. It might be the best game mode, but that's not saying much because the other game modes are absolute trash.

Technically BAP is the closest mode to EASHL or organized leagues.

Actually, that makes way too much sense.

BAP, where you could role play/pretend to be playing in LG for the most incompetent team GM and AGM in the league. Do you have a favorite teammate? Expect them to get traded for the following:

1) The most sorry excuse of a "rival" you've ever had when considering both your virtual and real lives, whom you left in the dust at the AHL level 5 seasons ago. And by the way, this guy still talks smack to you for some reason.

2) One pick in the final round of the draft. Naturally, your team's GMs/AGMs will take the rest of the draft off after round 2 that season, and are forced to settle with a random selection from the remaining players. That player never shows up to preseason, and the GMs never bother to try contacting them. As such, an exception to the rules that have been followed since forever occurs oh so conveniently and the player in question manages to sign up for the following season. Luck would have it they end up playing for a rival team in the same division as your team. That player absolutely kills it, crushing your championship dreams via a sweep in the first round of the playoffs leading their team in both goals and assists playing against yours.

Alternatively:

BAP, where you constantly ask yourself why you couldnt be close friends with people who are actually good at the game...then remember you arent playing EASHL and are actually carrying an AI controlled team in all offensive, defensive and goaltending categories at the same time, even though you havent even shown up to a quarter of the games this season.

I probably let my imagination go way too far there didnt I?
  • BLicK12
    86 posts Member

BAP, where you could role play/pretend to be playing in LG for the most incompetent team GM and AGM in the league. Do you have a favorite teammate? Expect them to get traded for the following:

1) The most sorry excuse of a "rival" you've ever had when considering both your virtual and real lives, whom you left in the dust at the AHL level 5 seasons ago. And by the way, this guy still talks smack to you for some reason.

2) One pick in the final round of the draft. Naturally, your team's GMs/AGMs will take the rest of the draft off after round 2 that season, and are forced to settle with a random selection from the remaining players. That player never shows up to preseason, and the GMs never bother to try contacting them. As such, an exception to the rules that have been followed since forever occurs oh so conveniently and the player in question manages to sign up for the following season. Luck would have it they end up playing for a rival team in the same division as your team. That player absolutely kills it, crushing your championship dreams via a sweep in the first round of the playoffs leading their team in both goals and assists playing against yours.

Alternatively:

BAP, where you constantly ask yourself why you couldnt be close friends with people who are actually good at the game...then remember you arent playing EASHL and are actually carrying an AI controlled team in all offensive, defensive and goaltending categories at the same time, even though you havent even shown up to a quarter of the games this season.

I'm not sure how much of this was relevant to my post, but clearly you had a great LG experience.

Hopefully I wasn't your Owner/GM. :lol:
  • NuttySportsFan
    429 posts Member
    edited July 2017

Alternatively:

I'm not sure how much of this was relevant to my post, but clearly you had a great LG experience.

Hopefully I wasn't your Owner/GM. :lol:

It was a *very slight* exaggeration of a combination of stories i have heard from others and personal experiences in various leagues that I had played in to be honest.

The part about a favorite teammate was true. In my first ever season playing in a 6s league back in NHL 11, my EASHL teammate who was leading the team in PPG, and GPG...but not total points on the season, as he only played 1/5 the games the "best scorer" on the team did due to the GM picking favorites, was traded for the best goalie in the league... who of course just had to have personal problems prevent him from playing the rest of the year. The league did not have a clause in place for this situation, so essentially we gave a player away for cap room.

The part about a rival? Well...i've had a few, some for their skill and some for their mouths. Though i wouldnt say anybody ever "won" the rivalry due the league breaking down and reopening a lot.

While i did spend some time in VHL on 360 from NHL 13 until its demise, my experience there was probably worse than an average night spent on drop-ins.

Between CHL teams being run by possible 12(?) year olds, AHL veterans as Owners who picked up FA's based on how well they knew players from OTP, the general overly political feel of the league, and the player base being oversaturated...well it failed for a lot of reasons. Being shuffled around the system for no reason and then traded for horrible players by idiotic Owners/GMs, it was time to step away from leagues for a while. And a while became a long time due to what the game itself turned into on next gen.

Maybe if #makeEAnhlGreatAgain happens, and the player base comes back i'd like to join LG. The schedules seems more player and GM friendly than VHL's ever was.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    TRICL0PS wrote: »
    People can argue over whether or not the class system is balanced but it is, without a doubt, more balanced than the customizable builds ever were.

Wrong. Each skater class has less speed than old gen. Just an illusion.

It strikes me that these two things may not be mutually exclusive?

Care to elaborate?
    Each skater class may be slower than the old gen but that fact doesn't inherently imbalance the game. In fact (as I believe someone noted) it is probably is the opposite: the game is TOO balanced - not enough differentiation between classes and the offsetting skills between the skills for attackers and defenders.

While I inherently agree, the fact remains that custom builds vs class builds has the top speed skating as the main differentiation. Just think a power forward with 99 speed. IMO, the main difference from old gen to new gen is simply speed. Old gen you could shrug off checks just as well as you can with a grinder or power forward. If you take out the 5 foot 7 speedster with insane speed, the game is the same now with class builds instead of custom builds.
  • I was a massive fan of Ea Sports NHL and had been playing the game since 2008 now I have not purchased the game since NHL 15. Why? Due to the fact people **** about the fact that on EASHL the majority of players could not get Legend 3.

THIS GAME ABSOLUTELY 100% NEEDS TO BRING BACK LEGEND 3
    This archetype **** is stupid no one player in the NHL is the same
    Bring back customisation I want to build my own player like I used to be able to. Let me create a Center a LW a RW a Defensive player and a Goalie. MOST OF ALL LET ME DECIDE WHICH STATS I WANT TO PUT ON MY OWN CHARACTER THAT I PLAY WITH. then let me choose his height and weight and how he looks.
    good players like myself who reached (without boosting i may add) Legend 3 have lost out on these past couple of years due to people who cant play the game well the fun is out of the game now, I feel like I'm an AI player whenever I had the chance to play.
    ALSO bring back the +1 +3 +5 boosts you used to have that you got for playing well you have ruined this fantastic game that once was my favourite game for 3 years running now I don't even buy this ****.

Just please please bring back Legend 3 and all of the customisation basically bring back NHL 14 with better graphics some game play tweaks updated rosters and better physics maybe try frostbite like FIFA and Battlefield? I Understand you have a small dev team but surely you must read that the majority of players no longer enjoy this game because of how you made the most played game mode.

#BringBackLegend3

You ARE SOOOOO RIGHT IT BLOWS MY MIND... SPOT ON.. ITS SAD **** THAT THEY REGRESS.... the game is not even competitive anymore because they broke it.... BRING IT BACK TO GLORY
  • kingvid10 wrote: »
    I was a massive fan of Ea Sports NHL and had been playing the game since 2008 now I have not purchased the game since NHL 15. Why? Due to the fact people **** about the fact that on EASHL the majority of players could not get Legend 3.

THIS GAME ABSOLUTELY 100% NEEDS TO BRING BACK LEGEND 3
    This archetype **** is stupid no one player in the NHL is the same
    Bring back customisation I want to build my own player like I used to be able to. Let me create a Center a LW a RW a Defensive player and a Goalie. MOST OF ALL LET ME DECIDE WHICH STATS I WANT TO PUT ON MY OWN CHARACTER THAT I PLAY WITH. then let me choose his height and weight and how he looks.
    good players like myself who reached (without boosting i may add) Legend 3 have lost out on these past couple of years due to people who cant play the game well the fun is out of the game now, I feel like I'm an AI player whenever I had the chance to play.
    ALSO bring back the +1 +3 +5 boosts you used to have that you got for playing well you have ruined this fantastic game that once was my favourite game for 3 years running now I don't even buy this ****.

Just please please bring back Legend 3 and all of the customisation basically bring back NHL 14 with better graphics some game play tweaks updated rosters and better physics maybe try frostbite like FIFA and Battlefield? I Understand you have a small dev team but surely you must read that the majority of players no longer enjoy this game because of how you made the most played game mode.

#BringBackLegend3

You ARE SOOOOO RIGHT IT BLOWS MY MIND... SPOT ON.. ITS SAD **** THAT THEY REGRESS.... the game is not even competitive anymore because they broke it.... BRING IT BACK TO GLORY

lol
  • TRICL0PS
    25 posts Member
    People can argue over whether or not the class system is balanced but it is, without a doubt, more balanced than the customizable builds ever were.

Care to elaborate?
    Each skater class may be slower than the old gen but that fact doesn't inherently imbalance the game. In fact (as I believe someone noted) it is probably is the opposite: the game is TOO balanced - not enough differentiation between classes and the offsetting skills between the skills for attackers and defenders.
    Yeah, not sure how all player types having the same speed makes the game less balanced. That doesn't make any sense. It also doesn't make sense that the game is too balanced because of the player classes either, IMO. I feel like there are enough unique differences between the classes that force players to choose one over the other. Grinders can't deke like danglers, two way forwards can't pass like playmakers, snipers can't hit like power forwards, etc. Sure, the newer player types (jumbo playmaker, two way dangler, hitting sniper, etc.) are more similar to the older types with only slight variations but they are just options for people who fall more in between with their play styles. All classes have their speed, acceleration, and agility the same but they differ in height and weight and that absolutely affects how each class skates.

If the classes are all so similar then why isn't everyone just using the best all around class every game? Is there even a best class? I see more player type variety in NHL 17 than I ever did with custom builds.
  • TRICL0PS wrote: »

Care to elaborate?
    Yeah, not sure how all player types having the same speed makes the game less balanced. That doesn't make any sense. It also doesn't make sense that the game is too balanced because of the player classes either, IMO. I feel like there are enough unique differences between the classes that force players to choose one over the other. Grinders can't deke like danglers, two way forwards can't pass like playmakers, snipers can't hit like power forwards, etc. Sure, the newer player types (jumbo playmaker, two way dangler, hitting sniper, etc.) are more similar to the older types with only slight variations but they are just options for people who fall more in between with their play styles. All classes have their speed, acceleration, and agility the same but they differ in height and weight and that absolutely affects how each class skates.

If the classes are all so similar then why isn't everyone just using the best all around class every game? Is there even a best class? I see more player type variety in NHL 17 than I ever did with custom builds.
    Smart man
  • cogsx86
    787 posts Member

Care to elaborate?

Smart man

96dtzo.jpg
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Boo e-sport builds. Its fine and all sure, but at the end of the day it just isnt that interesting to me. If that is the route they stick with I just dont have an interest. Played it all year, should have just grinded badges in 2k. If its the perfect hockey game for yall then awesome, congratulations. I just cant get wit dat.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Esports builds without the esports equals BORING. The whole point was to make it competitive but there isnt a damn thing to play for lol
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    Esports builds without the esports equals BORING. The whole point was to make it competitive but there isnt a **** thing to play for lol

3 vs 3 will fix all of this. Worry not.
  • E sports is a cancer that is sinking its teeth into a franchise ive played for years and it sucks. If majority players support it and want it go for it, me and my club? WE AINT ABOUT THAT. So i hear Golf Club 2 is out and 2k is around the corner. #BeBlessed
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Esports builds without the esports equals BORING. The whole point was to make it competitive but there isnt a **** thing to play for lol

Only if the glitches and "EA Goals" are fixed. The first time someone loses a game during an "E-Sport" broadcast because someone scored by poking the puck into the net from behind and THROUGH the mesh... In front of THOUSANDS of viewers?? This game is done.

I'm just gonna throw something out there. Imagine how much worse the community would be if there was something to play for which was worthwhile in EASHL/E-sport/etc.

The number of "money shots" attempted per game would skyrocket. Imagine how much worse the game would look from a random viewer's perspective.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Only if the glitches and "EA Goals" are fixed. The first time someone loses a game during an "E-Sport" broadcast because someone scored by poking the puck into the net from behind and THROUGH the mesh... In front of THOUSANDS of viewers?? This game is done.

Unless "improved physics" and "real-time collisions no matter what" become an actual selling point of the game...we are stuck with this kind of nonsense.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator

I'm just gonna throw something out there. Imagine how much worse the community would be if there was something to play for which was worthwhile in EASHL/E-sport/etc.

The number of "money shots" attempted per game would skyrocket. Imagine how much worse the game would look from a random viewer's perspective.

There aren't any money shots in 6v6. LG runs proseries aka money tournaments for the best clubs every now and then - but that's on such a small scale vs say e-sports. At the very least, if they committed to esports and didn't like what they saw from a viewer perspective I feel it would lead to them adding more support to an already stretched dev team.
    PSN: B-Bunny

There aren't any money shots in 6v6. LG runs proseries aka money tournaments for the best clubs every now and then - but that's on such a small scale vs say e-sports. At the very least, if they committed to esports and didn't like what they saw from a viewer perspective I feel it would lead to them adding more support to an already stretched dev team.

Whoops, i completely messed up what i said. Thanks for the correction.

The thing is there are certain deficiencies every goalie has mentioned a million times about the position in the game that all the skaters know as well. I imagine we would see a ratio of greater than 5 to 1 for blocker side attempts vs glove side shots in a super-competitive e-sport environment.

Hopefully you are correct about them being forced to add more manpower behind the game if it looked that bad.
  • Folks like B-Bunny don't seem to realize that it's possible to disagree on "something to play for"...

For me, the "something to play for" is fun, team-oriented hockey.

I don't care about unlocks, points, etc. I enjoy *playing the game* (when it's good).

If this game were more rewarding of solid team play and less rewarding of exploiting weaknesses in the engine (especially with CPU goalies), then maybe more people would enjoy just playing the game more and not need "something to play for" like arbitrary / made up points/cards.

Regarding the "Play 6's" argument: First and foremost, my goal is to hang out with actual friends and play this game. That means sometimes we've got 3 guys and sometimes we've got 8 and 2 have to sit. We can't always play 6's. Secondly, there are still flaws in the game that get exploited even in 6's games. The actual logistics (for people with a fair amount of commitments besides playing video games, anyway) of getting exactly 6 players for every game is harder than you think when you're not a kid with nothing but free time. Being married with a demanding job and other obligations means that my free time is scarce and my time for gameplay is dictated by the rest of my life, not the other way around.
  • Folks like B-Bunny don't seem to realize that it's possible to disagree on "something to play for"...

For me, the "something to play for" is fun, team-oriented hockey.

I don't care about unlocks, points, etc. I enjoy *playing the game* (when it's good).

If this game were more rewarding of solid team play and less rewarding of exploiting weaknesses in the engine (especially with CPU goalies), then maybe more people would enjoy just playing the game more and not need "something to play for" like arbitrary / made up points/cards.

Regarding the "Play 6's" argument: First and foremost, my goal is to hang out with actual friends and play this game. That means sometimes we've got 3 guys and sometimes we've got 8 and 2 have to sit. We can't always play 6's. Secondly, there are still flaws in the game that get exploited even in 6's games. The actual logistics (for people with a fair amount of commitments besides playing video games, anyway) of getting exactly 6 players for every game is harder than you think when you're not a kid with nothing but free time. Being married with a demanding job and other obligations means that my free time is scarce and my time for gameplay is dictated by the rest of my life, not the other way around.

6s wont ever catch on as "THE EASHL mode" until EA makes good 6s gameplay possible without using external sites to organize.

Something like Drop-In Seasons would be a step in this direction. Id be more likely to play Drop Ins if the more I played it, the more competitive a crowd I'd be matched with. Even if that means waiting 10 minutes for a East Coast Div 1 Drop-In, its better than the mess Drop-Ins are now.

(re) Joining Games in Progress also needs to be implemented.

Otherwise, exactly what honestbleeps' said, we have our crews that we like to play with. Could be just 2 of us, rarely 6 of us. That statistics and ranks aren't even separated between 2s and 5s really pushes EASHL as a 2v2 game.
    EASHL player