EA Forums - Banner

Regarding the A.I

Prev13
bryta47
373 posts Member
edited January 2017
I few things that happens EVERY game, and is very annoying (playing offline and online):

1. Are the zones scripted differently regarding the A.I? The game feels different depending on wich zone you are currently in. Also, the game stutters when the puck enter a new zone - lika a mini load of some sort.

2. The defensive A.I chases the puck all the way back until they crash into the goalie, I have had quite a few own goals scored this way.

3. Why are CPU teammates programmed to cluster together in midzone/own blue line and letting puck carriers skate past them along the boards while they struggle turning around?

4. Why won't the game let me change player for some time when I've taken a big hit?

5. Why won't the game let me change to a relevant player - for exempel the one who can cover that obvious one timer pass that will result in a goal?

7. The A.I is okay on attack, but on defense - not so much. They struggle to face the play, they bump into me and each other, they chase the same pucks as me, when they get a pass they are facing the wrong way at a standstill, they pick down clearing pucks, they leave the slot wide open, sometimes three CPU defenders decide to chase behind the goal at the same time, etc etc... I almost feel the A.I defense is more stupid now, on "next gen", than before, how can that be?

Replies

• bryta47 wrote: »
    2. The defensive A.I chases the puck all the way back until they crash into the goalie, I have had quite a few own goals scored this way.

3. Why are CPU teammates programmed to cluster together in midzone/own blue line and letting puck carriers skate past them along the boards while they struggle turning around?

7. The A.I is okay on attack, but on defense - not so much. They struggle to face the play, they bump into me and each other, they chase the same pucks as me, when they get a pass they are facing the wrong way at a standstill, they pick down clearing pucks, they leave the slot wide open, sometimes three CPU defenders decide to chase behind the goal at the same time, etc etc... I almost feel the A.I defense is more stupid now, on "next gen", than before, how can that be?

Yes, the defensive AI in this year's game is abysmal -- worse than it's been since at least NHL 12, and maybe ever.

• There's so much that could/ should be done for Ai. That not ends on the gameplay itself, also post play/presentation Ai needs tons of work.

Good Ai is the main thing that holds the game from being truly awesome. You can have advanced physics and sliders, but with such a limited old school Ai behavior, it is wasted opportunity.
  • Yes, I'm having so much fun customizing the sliders to my liking - only to have it ruined by the A.I.
  • Tier1SOFOperator
    496 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    I disagree. Since the latest patch the A.I. is the best I've ever seen it. I've been playing this series since 1992. Referring to offline only.

Just my opinion.

Thx
    Post edited by Tier1SOFOperator on
  • A complete and utter failure. But hey, the Dev team keeps us updated with packs during the All Star game, its nice to see they have their priorities in order.
  • I disagree. Since the latest patch the A.I. is the best I've ever seen it. I've been playing this series since 1992.

Just my opinion.

Thx

Wow, dude, what are you smoking, and can I have some too. I need some of that alternate reality stuff you're in.
  • thats interesting, because nothing was done to the AI, as far as I know :)
  • Dixonyu
    675 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    The AI IS TERRIBLE... they are decent at the blue line, and decent at blocking the slot ( finally done this year ) other than that, trash ... The only thing right now is their superhuman reaction speeds that give them an edge, their ability to track a loose puck before its loose, a pass before its done, they know they are picking up the puck or not ... their logic is trash, backskate logic is trash they always get beat, and you loose a step or two when you turn, AI try to catch up to people in backskate, lol .... the AI has been the same trash since at least 12 as was said . their logic , like pretty much all EA logic is just bad...

I cant imagine anyone enjoying this game offline, BE a pro is so frustrating as your AI has no idea how to find open lanes or ice, do a good a break out, there is no tendencies, its not like you feel like you are playing with OVIE just some bum AI that doesn't even know how to play or even set himself up for a goal.
  • Hehe. Try playin LD and see how RD will always be at your point, and vice versa. No matter which D position you choose, your AI teammate will cover YOUR position thus leaving the other side completely unguarded. Was same on old gen.
  • The AI is only good at two things: Shadowing the human player's input and having inhuman reflexes/reaction to plays. Other than that the "Artificialy Intelligence" has the mental capacity of a lobotomized amoeba.
  • I disagree. Since the latest patch the A.I. is the best I've ever seen it. I've been playing this series since 1992. Referring to offline only.

Just my opinion.

Thx

The AI was untouched in the patch, so whatever you think you're seeing is purely in your imagination.

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    The AI is only good at two things: Shadowing the human player's input and having inhuman reflexes/reaction to plays. Other than that the "Artificialy Intelligence" has the mental capacity of a lobotomized amoeba.

At least in offline you can take away some of the CPU-cheating via sliders, but sadly there is no slider to help with basic hockey IQ :neutral:

• bryta47 wrote: »
    I few things that happens EVERY game, and is very annoying (playing offline and online):

1. Are the zones scripted differently regarding the A.I? The game feels different depending on wich zone you are currently in. Also, the game stutters when the puck enter a new zone - lika a mini load of some sort.

4. Why won't the game let me change player for some time when I've taken a big hit?

5. Why won't the game let me change to a relevant player - for exempel the one who can cover that obvious one timer pass that will result in a goal?

I can agree with 2 and 4... other than that the defensive AI plays just fine for me, I rarely let up more than 2 goals a game
  • They're OP as hell when it comes to skating to catch up to a player on a breakaway. Or skating to loose pucks, they get this insane boost of godly speed that just shouldn't happen. What I hate is the inconsistency, too many ppl have agreed during online play that some games the opposing AI D are godly. More times than not they're just terrible.

I hate how they Skate in your way on a breakout, so frustrating ! Or they just stop skating and let a player Skate by (all while you're trying to change players but since it's so damn broken there's nothing you can do)
  • djneohockey
    732 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Honestly just to see Ai pass the puck makes me wanna turn off the console again.

It might be me my fault too, but I already get to the point that it's actually very hard for me to overlook these flaws that hurts the game for years and just enjoy it for what it is :'(
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    I disagree. Since the latest patch the A.I. is the best I've ever seen it. I've been playing this series since 1992. Referring to offline only.

Just my opinion.

Thx

The AI was untouched in the patch, so whatever you think you're seeing is purely in your imagination.

You seriously think they tell the general public everything they change/fix? Seriously bro!
  • Bmh245 wrote: »

Just my opinion.

Thx

You seriously think they tell the general public everything they change/fix? Seriously bro!

Well then...

1in79d.jpg
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »

Just my opinion.

Thx

Well then...

1in79d.jpg

:blush: