EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - HUT Deep dive

Andrew Marks HUT Producer and Nicholas Shewchuk Live Content Producer discuss HUT in NHL 20.
Check it out here.

EA DEV NHL 16 was a better game than NHL 17

Prev1
gundamfreedomx
88 posts Member
edited February 2017
list of things NHL 16 had better
-goalies were able to make simple saves(your January patch is dumb)
-defense could not poke from behind(lol you fixed it in nhl 16 with a patch)
- pucks did not hit skates, bodies and create goals( creates artificial goals)
- shooting was better
- computers goalies were better( all you can do in nhl 17 is glitch and throw turds)
- menus had a darker background
- -the glide was better
- less animations
Post edited by gundamfreedomx on

Replies

• Um....no!
  • Nope!
  • Agree about the goalies since the patch, they're terrible.

Also agree about poke checking from behind, not only does it fail to draw penalties, it hardly ever misses either. I can't tell you how many times lately I've had a clear path to the net and had a backchecker poke through my legs to the other side where I'm holding the puck to get the pokecheck in one try.

The Devs say they made skating the way it is to give some accountability to players for being out of position or going for the hit and missing, yet players can just turn around and chase you and get the poke through your legs nearly every time.

Another case of picking and choosing which aspects will be realistic and which parts won't be.
  • LOL! No, it was not.
  • no..11/12 just because of multiple club games at the same time!
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni

• Nhl 12, those were the glory days!
  • Oh yes! NHL 12 no defense....no real physics...cross crease party! Yay!

Physics are still a f*** show in my opinion.
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1674 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Well, there is room for improvement for sure, I'm just saying back in the old days it didn't even feel like skating...there was no momentum or anything ...everyone just kind of floated...and playing defense then, brutal...passes would go right through you, atleast now if you're in good position you will break up or intercept the puck more often then not
  • Well, there is room for improvement for sure, I'm just saying back in the old days it didn't even feel like skating...there was no momentum or anything ...everyone just kind of floated...and playing defense then, brutal...passes would go right through you, atleast now if you're in good position you will break up or intercept the puck more often then not

All true. Most people like the nhl12 days because of the lack of randomness we see in the game now, a lot of that randomness feeds the theory of ice tilt because it feels like weaker teams are kept in the game because of it. In nhl12, if you had the better team, you won; and if you dominated the team, you would blow that team out by something like 7-0 or 9-1, you can dominate in nhl 17 and still go to overtime.

17 is better by far, but the randomness takes away from the skill based play and competitive feel imo.
  • megadeth_600
    1437 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Oh yes! NHL 12 no defense....no real physics...cross crease party! Yay!

Physics are still a f*** show in my opinion.

Lol, pretty sad when I think back to the Ice Hockey days on the NES, the puck physics were more realistic and that was what, over 25 years ago??
  • B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer
    SaveUs2K wrote: »
    What does "poking from behind mean"? If I'm on your forehand side back hip with an angle to poke my stick on the side of your legs, not through your legs, I should be rewared with a successful poke check. I'm assuming you're all talking about poking behind literally through legs? If so, I would agree with you all. I just never do that, and I'm a Defensemen, so I haven't noticed this problem.

Why? Because you closed your eyes and pressed r1? I beat you, got passed you. And now what should be a miracle poke check is a common occurrence with absolutely zero thought behind the controller.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    SaveUs2K wrote: »
    What does "poking from behind mean"? If I'm on your forehand side back hip with an angle to poke my stick on the side of your legs, not through your legs, I should be rewared with a successful poke check. I'm assuming you're all talking about poking behind literally through legs? If so, I would agree with you all. I just never do that, and I'm a Defensemen, so I haven't noticed this problem.

Why? Because you closed your eyes and pressed r1? I beat you, got passed you. And now what should be a miracle poke check is a common occurrence with absolutely zero thought behind the controller.

dats what I'm sayin.

since the patch, iv'e been hit multiple times with miracle pokes from people I am flat out PAST.

I am all for giving defenders better tools, BUT YOU GOT BEAT.

hell, on one the other day my guy actually stumbled on a clear break from one of these miracle pokes - no call. no penalty shot. nothin.
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E

I was joking, in case it wasn't obvious :)
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Is the issue that the player can have success with a poke from behind, or the resulting effect it has on the puck?

Meaning; In real life you can, technically, poke check a player from behind.

However, in NHL 17, I feel that in doing so, the puck reacts inappropriately.

Instead of knocking the puck loose (giving the puck carrier an advantage to regaining possession based on body position) or even knocking the puck forward (allowing the puck carrier to continue moving forward but make them responsible for regaining possession) it seems to simply dislodge from the puck carrier and completely stops moving forward in momentum.

This means that by the time the puck carrier reacts to having the puck dislodged (and seemingly stopping it's forward momentum) he's already skated past the puck, and the player behind (who initiated the poke check) is now in a much more advantageous position to regain control.

this is another issues that has plagued the game for far too long.

I was joking, in case it wasn't obvious :)
    I was being sarcastic, in case it wasn't obvious ;)