EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

New hockey game for PC & PS4

Prev1
there is a new hockey game coming out in March for PC & PS4 (XB1 later date) its called Old Time Hockey by no means does it bring realism to the board but it looks like it could be 1 heck of a fun time.. Kind of like that 3on3 arcade EA brought out years ago.

This games goal was to bring back the violence of hockey in the 70s it looks alot like NHL94

http://www.oldtimehockeyarcade.com/

There are some gameplay videos on youtube that you can find already believe me the gameplay itself is no where close to NHL17 but the fun level may very well be there

Replies

• No thanks.
  • Tier1SOFOperator
    344 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    That looks horrific. Looks like a game you'd find on a flip phone. Not on PC/next gen consoles. I think the kids who constantly complain about NHL 17 being too sim will be all over it.

• I think that's too much fun than I can take.
  • That was fun way back in '83 when I was 10 years old but the older/mature I got the more I realized how beautiful the game of Hockey is. Sorry mate, no interest in a knuckle dragging, neanderthal, caveman, brainless version of Hockey
  • I'll be trying it out, not expecting much but I can't see it being a full price game. I heard theres a type of story mode. Might be kind of funny.
  • https://www.facebook.com/oldtimehockeyarcade

Scheduled to release on PS4 and PC on March 28 for $11.99 USD.

I can't see this having a very long shelf life, as in it won't take long for the "Ooh Shiny" novelty to wear off. They have my attention though.
  • I have this game. Good idea, but game is awful. Hype of the game is a joke.
    If this was were like NHL HITZ PRO, that would be different thing!
  • Yeah, no.
  • by no means do i see myself spending much time playing this game but i may end up buying this off the PSN just to give it a try for shjts and giggles. If they had spent more time in even making it close to NHL17 with their own concept behind it this game could very well be a ton of fun then. But how the graphics look for todays day and age i just dont see this ever being too popular besides for a few laughs... could be fun to play though with a few drunk buddies just to smash each other
  • scottiesk wrote: »
    by no means do i see myself spending much time playing this game but i may end up buying this off the PSN just to give it a try for shjts and giggles. If they had spent more time in even making it close to NHL17 with their own concept behind it this game could very well be a ton of fun then. But how the graphics look for todays day and age i just dont see this ever being too popular besides for a few laughs... could be fun to play though with a few drunk buddies just to smash each other

I'm thinking that's gonna be the target audience for this game. After all, they do advertise a one-handed "Beer Mode," so yeah.
  • B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer
    NHL 3 on 3 arcade was fun. This doesn't look like fun.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    NHL 3 on 3 arcade was fun. This doesn't look like fun.

Not gonna lie I would love to see that return for NHL 18 but with newer players of course.
  • I think this looks like it could be some fun. I like that they have the Long Island team correctly playing in Commack where the old Long Island Ducks used to play. I would spend five bucks to check this out. 10 though? That's pushing it a bit.

• If you're really desperate about hockey sim on PC as me, this is where to look at.

• Hey for 12 bucks it could be a good little guilty pleasure. Looks like it can be a good time waster at the very least before school or a doctors appointment.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • VeNOM2099
    2527 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Oh ****... The HITZ and BLITZ series are still owned by MIDWAY GAMES (Midway Chicago now). EA doesn't now nor ever has (and never will) own the rights to those games. The only thing EA "purchased" was the NHL Hitz developpers from Midway... A little team called BLACK BOX. Ya might of heard of them. :tongue:

EA does have the exclusive rights to the NFL license (which is why Midway or anyone else can't make a Football game with NFL teams and players) and they have a license to make NHL games, but it's not exclusive. Again, never has been and never will; the last time they TRIED to get the exclusive NHL license, the NHL turned them down. And when they tried to get around the NHL by trying to sign an exclusive NHLPA deal, the NHL threatened to pull out of their licensing agreement.

This is why EA created their own IP called 3 on 3 NHL Arcade back in 2009. Although the game received mixed reviews (mostly positive, though nothing stellar), it didn't sell very well as it was only available through digital download on PSN and XBL which at the time wasn't a well perceived method of purchasing as it is now. The game did see a re-release on the Playstation NHL 11 and NHL 12 physical copies. And then later was included as a code to download the full game with the purchase of NHL 13.

Apparently, EA's license for the game expired and it is no longer available except through the Asian PSN store with the use of Singapore currency (go fig...)

That said, there's really no reason why EA couldn't make a new NHL Arcade game using the more modern engine of today's NHL games. The problem would be if it would actually sell as well as some people might think. If it was priced around 10$ to 15$, I would consider picking it up as a "casual" game to kill time once in a while.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• Even if this game is mediocre I implore everyone to buy it. Sales will show other companies there is a market for hockey titles, and may inspire someone to finally compete against EA once again.