EA Forums - Banner

For those with perfect connections (help)

I know lag has been discussed a lot , but I have had it and I can no longer play this game as is. 90% of my games have delay , stuck in the mud, whiff on every check , can't win a face off lag. I can play with anyone when I do get those special nights with a great connection. I am in division 2 and am getting murdered because of lag. I won 7/8 in division 3 , my 1st time in division 3 because I had that perfect connection for 1day.

Anyway what specific hardware do you use to get that perfect connection? I am going to bestbuy and buying a router tonight. I have no idea if it will do anything, but I can't take it anymore. I currently have a comcast modem and use the Ethernet wire. I am the away team 90% of the time. My players do not skate/cut like my opponent. I have spent hours on goggle trying to figure out port forwarding but I just don't understand any of it. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Don't get faster internet...it won't change, I have 300d and 150u, wide open nat....everything you are supposed to do, and I have the same problem, slower connection will always host I think, if you pause during goalie stats and check the network you will see the connection with the other person, if its bad I quit...its about 60% of games I quit, makes a big difference...I just started doing that cus I hate to quit befor e the game starts
  • TOhasBO wrote: »
    I know lag has been discussed a lot , but I have had it and I can no longer play this game as is. 90% of my games have delay , stuck in the mud, whiff on every check , can't win a face off lag. I can play with anyone when I do get those special nights with a great connection. I am in division 2 and am getting murdered because of lag. I won 7/8 in division 3 , my 1st time in division 3 because I had that perfect connection for 1day.

Anyway what specific hardware do you use to get that perfect connection? I am going to bestbuy and buying a router tonight. I have no idea if it will do anything, but I can't take it anymore. I currently have a comcast modem and use the Ethernet wire. I am the away team 90% of the time. My players do not skate/cut like my opponent. I have spent hours on goggle trying to figure out port forwarding but I just don't understand any of it. Any help is appreciated.

For S* and Giggles try playing on wireless.

• I've done wireless and then changed to hard wired and it didn't change anything. I have also tried checking the network speed before the game and it makes no difference whether it's 15 or 40. I have researched and tried every small trick in the book. Clearing saved games, resetting modem, wired, wireless , nothing matters. Most of my opponents have perfect connections so I no it's possible. I'm getting out checked 30-4 every game because my player doesn't go where I'm trying to go. They weave in and around my defense , short side snipe/ goal or forehand backhand/ goal because again I can't control my defensive player. There are those rare nights where I can play suffocating defense because I do have ultimate control of my players. I know it's possible, just don't know how to get the perfect connection.
  • I'm doing fine with just 50Mbps wired. Lags are very rare, as long as I only play if the connection meter before the game shows green :smile:
  • I'm doing fine with just 50Mbps wired. Lags are very rare, as long as I only play if the connection meter before the game shows green :smile:
    I'm doing fine with just 50Mbps wired. Lags are very rare, as long as I only play if the connection meter before the game shows green :smile:

time to upgrade that third world connection there, though; huh?
  • ESPOtheDON wrote: »
    I'm doing fine with just 50Mbps wired. Lags are very rare, as long as I only play if the connection meter before the game shows green :smile:

time to upgrade that third world connection there, though; huh?

Well yeah, I guess I should. But when online gaming, DL speed doesn't really matter. And I never download anything big. My ping is usually around 10ms so I'm happy with it :blush:
  • lol, just poking fun
  • JohnnyRockets21
    9 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Is there anyone with a Comcast modem with a good connection? Also can anyone just list what they use if they have a good connection. I'm going to buy a router, it's my last option. I've tried everything else.
  • Honestly man, I feel your pain and have been experiencing it on and off throughout the duration of NHL17. EASHL is the worst, but HUT seems to have drawbacks a lot of the time.
    I've messed around with VPN's and if you can find one that works for you without any issues to your overall connection, I would advise trying it out. Choose a server close to someone you know who gets a great overall connection to the game and give it a whirl!

That's really my only advice - there's nothing on your end with your setup you can change unfortunately.
  • When playing online I plug straight into my modem, no wifi even connected. Also when you get to the screen where you can change starting lineup, watch to see if the other guy is already green when you get there, if he is ? Back out he will have a half a second jump on you the whole game. Kind of make it feel just like everything you described. It doesn't always work only if the other guy ready ups fast.
  • Use http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest to check your speed. If your buffer bloat setting is through the roof, Setup QOS on your router if necessary to about 90% of your actual rated speed. Rerun test. Also pending on what kind of TV you are on...... enable game mode and disable some of the unnecessary enhancements.

Apart from that its the net....... anythings possible including your opponent. Most of my games are consistent. More controller "delay" lately than usual. Had one game started out full green......200 ping into 2nd period, and when game was tied in 3rd....... 400 ping.
  • TOhasBO wrote: »

asus 5100 is the cats ****....3100 should be nice too.

THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Your router - Either overwhelmed by usage or improperly configured, but most times this is where your connection bottlenecks. Make sure your NAT is open. Don't mess with QOS. Ensure you're using your ISP's DNS service or one that is reliable.

• hot-rivit wrote: »
    Your router - Either overwhelmed by usage or improperly configured, but most times this is where your connection bottlenecks. Make sure your NAT is open. Don't mess with QOS. Ensure you're using your ISP's DNS service or one that is reliable.

how do you make sure your NAT is open? are there any negatives to that?
  • Flight727
    25 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I've heard people say to open your ports, but haven't got a clue as to what they are talking about
  • Flight727 wrote: »
    I've heard people say to open your ports, but haven't got a clue as to what they are talking about

if you want to open ports((waste of time) imo) check youtube...its not that hard once you see it done.
    DMZ is easy to...

• Don't waste your time or money trying anything to fix it. Forwarded ports, checked for buffer bloat, bought new router and still get delay lag most of the time. Only play games with pings in the green, one last night had the highest ping of 14ms and it was there all game. It's EA's prob and they will probably do nothing about it. On the bright side it makes you a better player having to play with a disadvantage most games.
  • FalcX_2
    38 posts Member
    Flight727 wrote: »

if you want to open ports((waste of time) imo) check youtube...its not that hard once you see it done.
    DMZ is easy to...

Didnt think DMZ was too safe...............
  • Just curious, is this lag only in HUT for EA games? Because to be honest I haven't heard much complaints about it in MUT or FUT.
    I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • FalcX_2 wrote: »
    Flight727 wrote: »

DMZ is easy to...

Didnt think DMZ was too safe...............

thats what i hear too...i have had no issues.I will just put it in dmz when it feels slow or when having nat issues.then just remove it when your done playing..imo.