EA Forums - Banner

Old Time Hockey

Prev1
Hockeytown1926
76 posts Member
edited April 2017
Played this game for the first time today............the skating engine is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than EAs NHL engine haha.And guess what...........skaters pick the puck up properly and the seamless pick ups are better than NHL 17 :P And when you hit someone it actually separates them from the puck!

Replies

  • how is the game? i've heard mixed reviews on it.
  • It's not that great tbh :( Fun for 5 minutes that's about it.But some of the cores mechanics are better than the NHL series haha.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Member
    Is terrible
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • BruceLee2029
    890 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Is terrible

    100% agree waste of money( i have it )
  • It looks terrible.
  • It looks terrible.

    It plays terrible. You mite aswel just use arcade sliders on NHL 17 instead.
  • It is a bad game, but at least they have an excuse, unlike EA.
  • Musrsee
    71 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    nickels55 wrote: »
    It is a bad game, but at least they have an excuse, unlike EA.

    EA has an excuse. What are you talking about??? they're still learning the new system too... and they have a small budget . give them a break. and a small team
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Musrsee wrote: »
    nickels55 wrote: »
    It is a bad game, but at least they have an excuse, unlike EA.

    EA has an excuse. What are you talking about??? they're still learning the new system too... and they have a small budget . give them a break. and a small team

    What are they, Pittsburgh pIRATE Ownership. For the last 20 some odd years that's ALL we've heard from pIRATE Ownerships (Kevin McClatchey '96-'07 and or Bob Nutting '07-Present)....small market this, small market that. pIRATE Organization is run on a SELF IMPOSED salary cap.

    OK it might be a small budget or a small team but that should not prevent the same stupid sheet from happening year in and year out. They program and code this game and it gets released with the same problems. Do they NOT learn from the previous years game?? How long are we going to have to put up with BAD collision detection? The excuse from them is that it's not FUN to play with the better Collision Detection.....NOT that they can't program or code it into the game (due to small team or budget) but because it's simply not FUN. So that tells me right there they are smart enough as a SMALL Team (with SMALL Budget) to program and code the game Correctly! So what's the REAL reason we get the same yearly problems
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Musrsee wrote: »
    nickels55 wrote: »
    It is a bad game, but at least they have an excuse, unlike EA.

    EA has an excuse. What are you talking about??? they're still learning the new system too... and they have a small budget . give them a break. and a small team



    LOL!! EA made a NET revenue of 4.4 BILLION dollars last year alone! F**k outta here with that small budget excuse that the apologists have been using on here for years. You can't use small budget as an excuse if you choose to not reinvest any of your 4.4 BILLION into your own dumpster fire of a once-proud (and successful) series.

    jewpower.jpg
    Post edited by CrushNHL on
  • megadeth_600
    1437 posts Member
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    Musrsee wrote: »
    nickels55 wrote: »
    It is a bad game, but at least they have an excuse, unlike EA.

    EA has an excuse. What are you talking about??? they're still learning the new system too... and they have a small budget . give them a break. and a small team



    LOL!! EA made a NET revenue of 4.4 BILLION dollars last year alone! F**k outta here with that small budget excuse that the apologists have been using on here for years. You can't use small budget as an excuse if you choose to not reinvest any of your 4.4 BILLION into your own dumpster fire of a once-proud (and successful) series.

    jewpower.jpg

    I see your point, but you have to understand that because a game is a huge success, its revenue will not be used to fix every single title in your catalogue. NHL has revenue and its team will be based on that revenue. It will never be based as a general revenue of every title.
  • mhandymanb
    408 posts Member
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    Musrsee wrote: »
    nickels55 wrote: »
    It is a bad game, but at least they have an excuse, unlike EA.

    EA has an excuse. What are you talking about??? they're still learning the new system too... and they have a small budget . give them a break. and a small team



    LOL!! EA made a NET revenue of 4.4 BILLION dollars last year alone! F**k outta here with that small budget excuse that the apologists have been using on here for years. You can't use small budget as an excuse if you choose to not reinvest any of your 4.4 BILLION into your own dumpster fire of a once-proud (and successful) series.

    jewpower.jpg

    I see your point, but you have to understand that because a game is a huge success, its revenue will not be used to fix every single title in your catalogue. NHL has revenue and its team will be based on that revenue. It will never be based as a general revenue of every title.

    Not necessarily though. Some companies will have their "cash cows" and "stars" support their "dogs" and "question marks".

    In EA's case, they could use some of their revenue and resources (team) from FIFA to prop up their hockey game or what they should be doing is using the money generated from HUT to fix and improve the other modes to generate more overall sales.

    It seems their business strategy is concentrating on HUT (obviously) and taking those profits and not really investing them back into other modes like EASHL. If this is the case then I don't really blame them for this strategy but with the old EASHL there were boosts and such that did give EA another source of income to reinvest back into EASHL. I personally never have spend an extra cent on this game (boosts/upgrades in EASHL) and I never had a problem with those that did because it was another source of income for it.
  • megadeth_600
    1437 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    mhandymanb wrote: »
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    Musrsee wrote: »
    nickels55 wrote: »
    It is a bad game, but at least they have an excuse, unlike EA.

    EA has an excuse. What are you talking about??? they're still learning the new system too... and they have a small budget . give them a break. and a small team



    LOL!! EA made a NET revenue of 4.4 BILLION dollars last year alone! F**k outta here with that small budget excuse that the apologists have been using on here for years. You can't use small budget as an excuse if you choose to not reinvest any of your 4.4 BILLION into your own dumpster fire of a once-proud (and successful) series.

    jewpower.jpg

    I see your point, but you have to understand that because a game is a huge success, its revenue will not be used to fix every single title in your catalogue. NHL has revenue and its team will be based on that revenue. It will never be based as a general revenue of every title.

    Not necessarily though. Some companies will have their "cash cows" and "stars" support their "dogs" and "question marks".

    In EA's case, they could use some of their revenue and resources (team) from FIFA to prop up their hockey game or what they should be doing is using the money generated from HUT to fix and improve the other modes to generate more overall sales.

    It seems their business strategy is concentrating on HUT (obviously) and taking those profits and not really investing them back into other modes like EASHL. If this is the case then I don't really blame them for this strategy but with the old EASHL there were boosts and such that did give EA another source of income to reinvest back into EASHL. I personally never have spend an extra cent on this game (boosts/upgrades in EASHL) and I never had a problem with those that did because it was another source of income for it.

    Of course it isn't definitive and plain black and white. But general practice is, the cash cows remain as is while the duds have to fight for budget. In general, it doesn't make sense to take people from a working project to help a limping project. Most times, you just end up with two gimped products.

    I am assuming that NHL has to have a minimum profit, and the rest goes into the game. If it is barely breaking its profit, then not much goes back into it. I for one think that their actual resources aren't being used to full potential, but there is no way to confirm it. Just going by feel, and what makes it, or not, into the game.

    Anyways, no one will ever know, so it is only speculation at this point.
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    You don't have to move people from a working project to a limping project. When you make 4.4 BILLION dollars annually, you have the luxury of hiring a few more. This series used to have a much bigger player base, so the proof is already there that if the game is good, people will buy. Hire a handful of people to add to the staff and the returns are exponential. If they sell, let's say 30% more copies because they hired more help and the game got much better, not only will physical copy sales go way up, think about how much the digital transaction sales rise from HUT. It's an absolute no-brainer. They aren't paying these programmers rocket scientist money, I can tell you that for a fact.

    If you give a plant the absolute bare minimum water and soil it needs to live, it's not going to grow. If you put the absolute minimum manpower and resources into a project, it's not going to grow.

    This is a perfect example of extreme corporate greed.

  • Rozsos27
    99 posts Member
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    You don't have to move people from a working project to a limping project. When you make 4.4 BILLION dollars annually, you have the luxury of hiring a few more. This series used to have a much bigger player base, so the proof is already there that if the game is good, people will buy. Hire a handful of people to add to the staff and the returns are exponential. If they sell, let's say 30% more copies because they hired more help and the game got much better, not only will physical copy sales go way up, think about how much the digital transaction sales rise from HUT. It's an absolute no-brainer. They aren't paying these programmers rocket scientist money, I can tell you that for a fact.

    If you give a plant the absolute bare minimum water and soil it needs to live, it's not going to grow. If you put the absolute minimum manpower and resources into a project, it's not going to grow.

    This is a perfect example of extreme corporate greed.

    You're contradicting yourself. If they are guilty of corporate greed then of course they would want to add staff and sell 30% more copies to make a bigger profit. They simply don't believe the added resources would increase their profits. And to be honest, with the way they prioritize things we would probably just get zamboni mode or some other gimmick with those added resources that wouldn't bring in more profits. Rammer is the problem, not their lack of workforce spending.
  • Rozsos27 wrote: »
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    You don't have to move people from a working project to a limping project. When you make 4.4 BILLION dollars annually, you have the luxury of hiring a few more. This series used to have a much bigger player base, so the proof is already there that if the game is good, people will buy. Hire a handful of people to add to the staff and the returns are exponential. If they sell, let's say 30% more copies because they hired more help and the game got much better, not only will physical copy sales go way up, think about how much the digital transaction sales rise from HUT. It's an absolute no-brainer. They aren't paying these programmers rocket scientist money, I can tell you that for a fact.

    If you give a plant the absolute bare minimum water and soil it needs to live, it's not going to grow. If you put the absolute minimum manpower and resources into a project, it's not going to grow.

    This is a perfect example of extreme corporate greed.

    You're contradicting yourself. If they are guilty of corporate greed then of course they would want to add staff and sell 30% more copies to make a bigger profit. They simply don't believe the added resources would increase their profits. And to be honest, with the way they prioritize things we would probably just get zamboni mode or some other gimmick with those added resources that wouldn't bring in more profits. Rammer is the problem, not their lack of workforce spending.

    Fully agreed. This series is heading down a terrible road. Adding resources will just make it get there faster.
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    If they aren't serious about improving it, I'm not serious about buying it. I'm not shelling out another $60 to hear excuses again for another year. NHL has fallen way behind the curve and other sports games have passed it by and left it in the dust.

    "We have a plethora of pre-packaged excuses as to why our game is sub-standard, but you're still paying $60 like all the other AAA titles."
  • kezz123
    653 posts Member
    I dont think people appreciate enough how skipping the game for a year can make the biggest difference in its development.

    Money talks. NHL sales dropping to all time low wont bankrupt EA, it will just raise alarms that "Ok guys, thats it...the cash cow is dying and we need to revive it so this year we allocate X more money in that program and hire X more devs and lets get those sales back up"

    But the kids who buy this game keep on buying it nomatter how horrible it is and come here to cry after all year. The crying does very little. Its all about MOHHHHNAAAAYYYYYY
  • nickels55
    177 posts Member
    So this explains why FIFA costs twice as much as the NHL title. Wait, what is that, these two titles are the same price? There is your problem.
  • Pycnotic
    167 posts Member
    kezz123 wrote: »
    I dont think people appreciate enough how skipping the game for a year can make the biggest difference in its development.

    Money talks. NHL sales dropping to all time low wont bankrupt EA, it will just raise alarms that "Ok guys, thats it...the cash cow is dying and we need to revive it so this year we allocate X more money in that program and hire X more devs and lets get those sales back up"

    But the kids who buy this game keep on buying it nomatter how horrible it is and come here to cry after all year. The crying does very little. Its all about MOHHHHNAAAAYYYYYY

    Sales may drop but HUT pack sales have increased, they won't care if they are making the same revenue.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.