EA Forums - Banner

TPS is very good. Don't change it EA, just iron out the kinks

123457Next

Replies

• megadeth_600
    1437 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "Sooooooooo... The problem is the connection, not TPS. But you'd have them scrap TPS because you get sh*te connection all the time?

Interesting problem solving skills there! "Hey, my cart wheel is lose, what am I gonna do?", "EH... Just shoot the horses! They're useless since they can't pull a broken cart around.""

Until EA can give all paying customers the same gaming experience, yes they should scrap the problem (TPS) until they can get it right. Your thought good for me, **** to be you is not the answer.

The problem with TPS is they don't have half the animations required to actually make for fluid skating. As usual, it was half-a55ed, just like about 90% of anything added to this game.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    well if its well known fact that ea games have huge lag/input delay issues, then there is no point having this overly complicated skating system that just adds to the input delay. simplify the skating and make it more responsive. be done with all the unnecessary animations. its well known fact in the video game industry, that you cant have realistic animations in video games without sacrificing responsiveness. i feel that is the problem. they try so hard to make super realistic animations that they lose the responsiveness in the prosess. best example i can give has to do with the goalies. first you flick the right stick then the goalie does the kick animation after that it moves. this is called anticipation movement it looks more realistic but just adds input delay.

Well that's just the thing, the animations in NHL 17 aren't realistic at all. Go watch a video of a hockey pro skating and then compare it to the skating animations of NHL 17. It's not even close.

The range of movement a real hockey player has in real life is a million times MORE complicated than what we get to experience in this game. Yet in THIS game it feels clunky even though we can't even do half the things a real skater can do and you think it's because it's "TOO" realistic?

The problem with the goalies when ou "flick the right" stick ins't that it's too realistic. If anything it's not realistic at all. I'm a goalie, I should know. More than half the things I see the goalies do in this game (whether it's human controlled or AI) I look at and go "What goalie would ever do that??". What goalie would swing their blocker like a golf club and completely whiff on a floater from the blue line on a consistent basis like the goalies do in NHL 17? Does it happen from time to time in real life where the goalie "muffs" a save? Sure... Does it happen with the frequency it happens in NHL 17? Definitely not!

Goalies in the NHL have a goals against avg ranging from 2.00 to 3.00 facing between 27 up to 33 shots per game in full 60 minutes per game. Goalies in NHL 17 have GAA ranging from 3.80 to well over 5.00 facing an average of about 12-17 shots per game that are played in about 15 minutes (real time).

Something's very WRONG here and it ain't the "realism"...

aint saying its hyper realistic, more like its trying to be. its still more realistic than it was before they started to use motion capture. the problem with the motion capture is what i was talking about earlier. its about the anticipation movement humans do when they are about to perform certain action, like crouch before jumping, pulling your hand backwards before you punch. thinks like that add input lag in a video game.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member

aint saying its hyper realistic, more like its trying to be. its still more realistic than it was before they started to use motion capture. the problem with the motion capture is what i was talking about earlier. its about the anticipation movement humans do when they are about to perform certain action, like crouch before jumping, pulling your hand backwards before you punch. thinks like that add input lag in a video game.

That doesn't make sense. If a human can do it, a videogame animation of a human being should be just as quick.

The problem is again that there aren't enough animations to cover all the range of motions a human can do. If I skate full speed in one direction and then want to suddenly stop and go the other way, I plant my feet, shift my weight, cross over my skates and start skating in the other direction. Something that takes mere seconds in real life, but it takes forever in this game for... reasons.

That's not realistic in the least.

The other problem is that the game is sped up considerably (even though people think it's "too slow") but the animations play out in "real time" so it gives the perception of being sluggish. If you slow the speed of the game down to be 100% realistic, we probably wouldn't be complaining about the animations being "clunky and slow".

Either that or speed up the animations to match the speed of the game. Simple as that. It would be unrealistic, but at least it would even things out across the board gameplay-wise.

• djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, I agree.
    The lack of animations and animation transitions is the problem indeed, anywhere you look at in the gameplay.

That's why the game feels/looks unresponsive or OFF sometimes.
    And I'm not even talking that every player feels and looks the same.
  • Yeah, I agree.
    The lack of animations and animation transitions is the problem indeed, anywhere you look at in the gameplay.

That's why the game feels/looks unresponsive or OFF sometimes.
    And I'm not even talking that every player feels and looks the same.

You just expect the team to have 600+ different animations so that each individual player doesn't look identical?

Puh-LEASE

• Can you read?
  • Can you read?

That's a rather obtuse and inappropriate way to respond.

You said every players looks and feels the same. My reading comprehension is pretty good, but maybe you mean something else?

I'm taking your words literally - meaning you feel that every player within the game uses the same animations, therefore they all look and feel the same.

You're not wrong, however, do you feel it's an important use of resources to develop 600+ different variations for all of the animations currently in the game?

At the end of the day, a hockey player is a hockey player and although some of the players we pay more attention to (Crosby, Ovechkin, etc) have their distinct styles - it doesn't vary much player to player. I feel, personally, it would be a waste of time to get these distinctions in the game.

Especially considering the issues we have in the current state of the game and it's animations.
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Sorry for that reaction man. Seems like my nerves and patience for explaining the things over and over again is not as it used to be.

Especially considering we asked for the actual (and visual) players separation since I can remember.
    So at least something for the start?

..and "wasting development resources" don't make me start about that, not this year :)

That doesn't make sense. If a human can do it, a videogame animation of a human being should be just as quick.

The problem is again that there aren't enough animations to cover all the range of motions a human can do. If I skate full speed in one direction and then want to suddenly stop and go the other way, I plant my feet, shift my weight, cross over my skates and start skating in the other direction. Something that takes mere seconds in real life, but it takes forever in this game for... reasons.

That's not realistic in the least.

The other problem is that the game is sped up considerably (even though people think it's "too slow") but the animations play out in "real time" so it gives the perception of being sluggish. If you slow the speed of the game down to be 100% realistic, we probably wouldn't be complaining about the animations being "clunky and slow".

Either that or speed up the animations to match the speed of the game. Simple as that. It would be unrealistic, but at least it would even things out across the board gameplay-wise.

should yes, but its not the way it works. as i said before its well known fact that you cant animate video game as you would motion picture. because when you animate the anticipation movement it just adds delay between when you press the button and when the player actually performs the desired action. way video games usually cheat this is just by not having anticipation movement in animations at all. or just making them few frames long. i guess its gonna be little better in nhl 18 when we have 60fps. but still i would much rather have controls that are responsive but not so realistic, than other way around
  • 2k 2005 was awesome! The Chris Berman Halftime show!!!!
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    2k 2005 was awesome! The Chris Berman Halftime show!!!!

You mean NFL 2K5:

You mean NFL 2K5:

Yes!! I was blown away by it! A halftime show that actually showed real highlights from your game...and so much more fun stuff. So ahead of it's time and still better than madden
  • megadeth_600
    1437 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

You mean NFL 2K5:

Yes!! I was blown away by it! A halftime show that actually showed real highlights from your game...and so much more fun stuff. So ahead of it's time and still better than madden

LOL. Even Blades of Steel had a "halftime" show.
  • Ok, I’m gonna sound like a newb, but what is TPS in hockey gaming? I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere online. How is it not known anywhere but I keep seeing it being used to talk about the hockey engine in these games. ? I know it’s not “Third Person Shooter” or “Temporarily Protected Status”. So what does is stand for? Lol
    Signed,
    Just a curious gamer.
  • EA_Roger
    1482 posts EA Community Manager
    Closing off this thread as it's ancient.

@Nyrangersfan05: Necropost. Reviving, updating or bumping old, outdated and irrelevant threads is not helpful for our community. It's best to check when the thread was created before you hit post, just to make sure it's not 2 years old for example.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!