EA Forums - Banner

what's the point?!?!?!

Prev1
99 overall TORY Bob in my net... 83% save percentage after 30 games. What's the point of having a high rated goalie??? Last 3 games 7, 6, and 7 goals given up. Less than 70% save percentage each game.... this is just dumb!!

Replies

• Maybe you played some better teams.
  • Frosties00
    160 posts Member
    Maybe a liberal goalie instead?
  • I tried TOTY Holtby with similar results.
  • This is a good thing, players should not get bailed out by bad defensive play ever.
  • h8ttrick
    1661 posts Member
    Agreed play good defense
  • In all honesty, it's not bad defensive play. Almost all of these goals are slappers from the blue line or weak wristers that Bob gets 90% of but bounce off his chest and over his head or trickle by him. Trust me guys I know how to play D. The point here is that a 99 overall goalie is performing worse than a 90 overall Bryzgalov, 90 overall Martin Jones, 94 Holtby (I have had all these goalies) currently I'm using 96 overall Murray and am much happier
  • mattborowiec
    2305 posts Member
    Problem solved
  • ESPOtheDON
    2940 posts Member
    In all honesty, it's not bad defensive play. Almost all of these goals are slappers from the blue line or weak wristers that Bob gets 90% of but bounce off his chest and over his head or trickle by him. Trust me guys I know how to play D. The point here is that a 99 overall goalie is performing worse than a 90 overall Bryzgalov, 90 overall Martin Jones, 94 Holtby (I have had all these goalies) currently I'm using 96 overall Murray and am much happier

obviously not well enough; start blocking more shots, poke checking the puck, or taking space away from your opponent. sometimes my goal is simply to not even allow my opposition to take a shot AT ALL
  • RedOneDK
    203 posts Member
    In all honesty, it's not bad defensive play. Almost all of these goals are slappers from the blue line or weak wristers that Bob gets 90% of but bounce off his chest and over his head or trickle by him. Trust me guys I know how to play D. The point here is that a 99 overall goalie is performing worse than a 90 overall Bryzgalov, 90 overall Martin Jones, 94 Holtby (I have had all these goalies) currently I'm using 96 overall Murray and am much happier

Currently using MOV Rask and have done so since he's TOTY release. He steal's the games for me when i f'up sometimes on the denfensive part of my game.
    Og'sån'er'det!
  • ESPOtheDON wrote: »

obviously not well enough; start blocking more shots, poke checking the puck, or taking space away from your opponent. sometimes my goal is simply to not even allow my opposition to take a shot AT ALL

You need to start playing better competition if you think this goal is even slightly attainable.
  • ESPOtheDON
    2940 posts Member
    my competition is just fine, thank you.
  • No shots...... Come on dude. Not very realistic against anyone that knows how to play. Good D is one thing. That's just crazy talk.
  • h8ttrick
    1661 posts Member
    I just played a game in d1 first two periods guy didn't have a single shot on goal.
  • I have played terrible players in D1. You arent holding anyone in the top 1500 in CS to zero shots in a game. Its an unrealistic goal unless you are playing competition that is way out of their league. I'm not saying you can't do it. I've beat guys by 10 goals many times. It certainly isn't my goal against top competition.
  • ESPOtheDON
    2940 posts Member
    No shots...... Come on dude. Not very realistic against anyone that knows how to play. Good D is one thing. That's just crazy talk.

Let me correct myself, I said "my goal is to not allow my opponents to take a shot AT ALL." I did not intend that to mean I succeed in that goal. Of course you are correct, that is a completely unrealistic goal, and of course I have never succeeded in that. as you know, playing against top/elite players, if you give them the opportunity to shoot from high slot they will usually snipe it, so I TRY to not even give them that shot.

I did not mean I hold my opponent to 0 shots, sorry for confusion.
  • Pycnotic
    167 posts Member
    I've noticed this as well my base Quick has great stats and anytime I upgrade to what should be a better goalie I end up selling him and going back to Quick. You can't say it's my defence because I play the same way most of the time, team didn't change just the goalie. I find when it's a high rated goalie they will make amazing saves that should be sure goals, but let in the weakest wrist/slap shots from the point, or my personal favourite; the backhand from the top of circle
  • h8ttrick
    1661 posts Member
    Umm I'm top 100 in CS don't tell me what I can't do lol
  • h8ttrick wrote: »
    Umm I'm top 100 in CS don't tell me what I can't do lol

I need a game with you soon!!!!
  • Lowernu82
    416 posts Member
    the higher ranked goalie i use the softer goals they allow. 86 totw murray does good for me. bumped him for synergies that stanley talbot has, find myself having to play a little more strict D and taking less chances.
  • ESPOtheDON wrote: »
    No shots...... Come on dude. Not very realistic against anyone that knows how to play. Good D is one thing. That's just crazy talk.

Let me correct myself, I said "my goal is to not allow my opponents to take a shot AT ALL." I did not intend that to mean I succeed in that goal. Of course you are correct, that is a completely unrealistic goal, and of course I have never succeeded in that. as you know, playing against top/elite players, if you give them the opportunity to shoot from high slot they will usually snipe it, so I TRY to not even give them that shot.

I did not mean I hold my opponent to 0 shots, sorry for confusion.

No problem my friend. I have seen you on the leaderboards near me a few times so I know you play good competition. I do find some high rated goalies (toty holtby) allow some very weak goals even with solid D play. Needless to say, I sold him.