EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Online Input Lag Survey

Prev13
rcompton78
231 posts Member
edited May 2017
I just wanted to get a feel of how many of us are experiencing online input lag. I feel it has gotten worse since about January. I hear complaints while playing quite often but I also read about people have clear connections all the time. If you have a sec please answer my 5 question survey.

https://surveyplanet.com/591f555fb0db1132c789e8ba

Replies

• I would also love to hear from people that don't lag so that my data set will have decent distribution.
  • what aboot IP providers??what aboot routers??
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Couldn't answer, you had no option for 0 games out of five.
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    I am one of the lucky ones, I don't ever lag. I feel for those who do, I know it's frustrating as hell.
    Post edited by CrushNHL on
  • For me it's simple. When I play on a west server, no lag.
    When I play on a east server, I get the "fat man" lag. (No offense you big cuddly dudes)
  • I very rarely lag. Mostly fat man lag, but say about once in 20 games. I don't seem to be affected by either server as well. Kicker is, I am using what my IP provides, but with select open ports.

I will add those in today. Great idea.
  • I very rarely lag. Mostly fat man lag, but say about once in 20 games. I don't seem to be affected by either server as well. Kicker is, I am using what my IP provides, but with select open ports.

Can i ask what ports? I've searched online and don't a straight answer. Ends up being so many ports that i might as well open it up to the world.
  • Couldn't answer, you had no option for 0 games out of five.

Sorry. Just me being an idiot. I'm adding that option.
  • How do you know what server you're on? Or are you just guesstimating based on your ping?
    When I play on a east server, I get the "fat man" lag. (No offense you big cuddly dudes)

Pretty much this.

It's a "mild", yet noticeable "fatty" delay.

Would imagine it is more noticeable the closer to a coast you are. Meaning, you can go from 12 ms to 40+ ms depending on what server you are on.

Couple midwest folks I know get a steady 23-25 ms or so. So, they don't really see much of a "swing" in the difference.

Most games, this wouldn't be an issue or noticeable. Seems more people on west are impacted when moved to east, tho (based on my anecdotal intel). And people in Cali seem to scream the most.

Rarely have lag in VS and when I do, I can tell it's the other clown(s) either jackin with their connection on purpose, are wireless or have garbage internet in general.
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E

Pretty much this.

Would imagine it is more noticeable the closer to a coast you are. Meaning, you can go from 12 ms to 40+ ms depending on what server you are on.

Couple midwest folks I know get a steady 23-25 ms or so. So, they don't really see much of a "swing" in the difference.

Most games, this wouldn't be an issue or noticeable. Seems more people on west are impacted when moved to east, tho (based on my anecdotal intel). And people in Cali seem to scream the most.

Rarely have lag in VS and when I do, I can tell it's the other clown(s) either jackin with their connection on purpose, are wireless or have garbage internet in general.
    Ya I'm in Cali . On west I get 11-14 ms
    On east 45-55 ms
  • How do you know what server you're on? Or are you just guesstimating based on your ping?
    Yes the ping is pretty much the tell tale sign....when I get the high 45-55 ping I ask people where they are from ...and most are on the east coast, so me being in Cali ...and getting that high ping ...I know I'm on a east server.

Pretty much this.

On east 45-55 ms

I'm in California too and the ping doesn't seem to make a difference for me. I can ping 8ms and my center just stands there like he does when I ping 50ms.

Pretty much this.

On east 45-55 ms

I'm in California too and the ping doesn't seem to make a difference for me. I can ping 8ms and my center just stands there like he does when I ping 50ms.
    That's weird...I get an OCCASIONAL game once in awhile where I feel like 50 ms but I'm actually at 12ms.
    ....But 9/10 times ...I know which server I'm on within 30 seconds of playing ...without even looking at my ping graph.
  • Unfortunately for those of us in Europe, lag happens at least 50% of the time.
  • sgiz1
    534 posts Member
    NHL Lag is not related to our personal internet provider and equipment. Too few servers, older servers, giving NHL a very small space on those servers so the servers are always congested, old net code that results in too many hops to connect for far too many paying customers and problems are magnified by complex game programming such as TPS and animations that do not translate well online due to any kind of delay/latency.

I have delay (lag?) all actions happen a half second after I command my skater to do something, maybe 1 in 10 games online its a 1/4 second delay but its never smooth and immediate, 8 out of 10 games is 1/2 second delay, 1 out of 10 is over 1/2 second delay.

This is not how playing online should be, it should play smooth and commands should register immediately.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    NHL Lag is not related to our personal internet provider and equipment. Too few servers, older servers, giving NHL a very small space on those servers so the servers are always congested, old net code that results in too many hops to connect for far too many paying customers and problems are magnified by complex game programming such as TPS and animations that do not translate well online due to any kind of delay/latency.

I have delay (lag?) all actions happen a half second after I command my skater to do something, maybe 1 in 10 games online its a 1/4 second delay but its never smooth and immediate, 8 out of 10 games is 1/2 second delay, 1 out of 10 is over 1/2 second delay.

This is not how playing online should be, it should play smooth and commands should register immediately.

I feel like the reasons you say are correct. So far my survey is leaning towards this. The large majority of people have 3 our of 5 games laggy. Whether it be because of bad matchmaking (wrong server location) or just bad servers like you mentioned I do not know.
  • Unfortunately for those of us in Europe, lag happens at least 50% of the time.

So far the majority of people who took the survey say 3+ games of 5 are laggy. Europe tends to be 4+ which is ridiculous.

I added 3 questions to the survey. Thanks for the suggestion