EA Forums - Banner

Stick lift?

Replies

• COGSx86
    783 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Santini3 wrote: »
    L every respectable player I have talked to about it agrees that the stick lift is useless.

Yes, thats because stick lifts are useless, in real hockey also
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Stick lifts are definitely broken this year. It was over powered in previous years, but this year it either doesn't work at all or results in a slashing penalty.
  • Stick lift is completely useless to the point that there's no point in pressing it because 75%+ of the time it results in a penalty with the remaining percent resulting in nothing happening. Holding stick lift works against someone who doesn't have the puck, but when you're defending against someone with the puck who is very good at this game the only option is to spam poke check since they will avoid most hits (and if you're using offensive/puck moving d-man hitting doesn't do much). Playing defense has a lack of options already, making stick lift useless just makes it even worse and more boring.
  • Comparing NHL17 to IRL Hockey is kinda irrelevant. While the goal is to simulate the REAL thing, in the current gaming state the two are never going to =/= one another. For a game that completely neglects defense year in and year out the fact that ONE of the very limited tools for defenders is completely broken is a huge deal. In its current state you have better luck stick lifting trailing a player then you do face to face in close proximity. Hell, most of the time you can get your Paul Bunion on and still not land a penalty.
    GT - T0o HxC 4u
    TN - HOCKEYTOWN
  • Its EA. Offense is always the focus.

Now with the puck I just cross the blueline and curl the puck back and twist and turn to draw penalties over and over, because pokecheck is their only tool. I get my 5 on 3, I scrum the draw, pass it over for the 1 time automatic goal, and they quit.

Thats how EA wants it.
    EASHL player
  • I still find it hard to believe that a few people are actually defending a mechanic being completely broken as being good. It's in the game for a reason, and it used to work for a reason. If the other player is good it should be hard to stick lift them. If they are not good, and just leave the puck out for you, it should be easy to stick lift. In real life, most players protect the puck. In this game, not everyone is an NHL caliber player. The people who know how to play the game really well have always been hard to stick lift - which is why in EASHL league in NHL 16, for example, the stick lift is a very risky option. But, it still worked if you timed it right.

Stick lifting is a mechanic that should not be broken. End of story. You should have to be in proper position to do it, but when you are, it should work.
  • i tweeted this to rammer after the 1st day of release he retweeted it and got some feed back. Blows me away how some people think its acceptable for it not to work, this is not real life where we can tie a stick up properly this is a video game and a video game will never be 100% realistic so get used to it. Stick lift was a huge part of my defensive tools when done properly it was very rewarding when done poorly you were in the box, it was really done good in NHL16... I never understood how people said it was overpowered in NHL16, when i was on offence i never once thought it was overpowered if you protected your stick properly which would lead to PP's for you then.
  • Socair
    2692 posts Game Changer
    scottiesk wrote: »
    i tweeted this to rammer after the 1st day of release he retweeted it and got some feed back. Blows me away how some people think its acceptable for it not to work, this is not real life where we can tie a stick up properly this is a video game and a video game will never be 100% realistic so get used to it. Stick lift was a huge part of my defensive tools when done properly it was very rewarding when done poorly you were in the box, it was really done good in NHL16... I never understood how people said it was overpowered in NHL16, when i was on offence i never once thought it was overpowered if you protected your stick properly which would lead to PP's for you then.

Exactly
  • COGSx86
    783 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Stick lifts in NHL16 were not realistic, the frequency that stick lifts occurred in NHL 16 was very inaccurate from what hockey is.

As a defender your to lead a puck carrier with your stick (which you now can do with improved backwards skating) at the same time using your stick to tie up your opponent.

If done properly stick tie ups work!

In situations where you would stick lift, you now hold "A" clearly not enough people have adjusted!

Why is it that I have no problem tying up players going for the puck or knocking the puck away ?

You guys need to readjust and adapt to the new mechanic!

Post edited by COGSx86 on
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    Lol **** cogs. You can't compare this game to reality in a 1 to 1 sense. I never had a problem in previous games where I felt stick lifts were so OP that they hindered my offensive capability. As it is now it just DOESN'T WORK. Yes, extended stick lifts work if your opponent is standing still but in this game that happens almost never.

I know that when I play hockey in real life I can hold my opponents stick up in the air while he's gliding to my net on the back door (say if I'm on the back check) and in this hand that is not possible.

But apparently COGS thinks that you should have to wait until your opponent is stationary before you try to initiate any sort of stock lift.

It's funny because every respectable player I have talked to about it agrees that the stick lift is useless.

He doesn't play defense. He basically just said the sticklift is fine, even though when you can be in perfect position to use it, it simply doesn't work. I don't take penalties because im.not trying to do it at the wrong time, I just attempt a stick lift and it literally does nothing. I have performed a handful of successful stick lifts where you hear the stick contact and the puck comes loose. A feature to keep an opponents stick lifted while you throw a small body check or drive them into the boards needs to become a thing. That's what I was hoping for when they talked about new stick tie ups.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Stick lifts in NHL16 were not realistic, the frequency that stick lifts occurred in NHL 16 was very inaccurate from what hockey is.

As a defender your to lead a puck carrier with your stick (which you now can do with improved backwards skating) at the same time using your stick to tie up your opponent.

In situations where you would stick lift, you now hold "A" clearly not enough people have adjusted!

Why is it that I have no program tying up players going for the puck or knocking the puck away ?

In real life you can lift a player's stick while they have the puck, you can't do that while holding A or clicking A. Show me a video where stick lift worked properly on the puck carrier multiple times in one game (online).
  • jimfromfiles
    6 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    L every respectable player I have talked to about it agrees that the stick lift is useless.

thats cause you dont play hockey. Even in street hockey in the back lane people stick lift. You see it all the time in board battles in the nhl. What a stupid statement

thats cause you dont play hockey. Even in street hockey in the back lane people stick lift. You see it all the time in board battles in the nhl. What a stupid statement

Friend I have played more hockey then you can imagine, I have made money, won titles, and had my education paid for.

Stick tie ups and stick lifts are 2 very different things
  • Socair
    2692 posts Game Changer

Why is it that I have no problem tying up players going for the puck or knocking the puck away ?

And poke checks in 17 are unrealistic when it's getting through from distance on behind or at impossible angles. Stick lift is not the same as a tie up cogs. Stick tie ups work fine, stick lifts are not working as they should.
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    Lol **** cogs. You can't compare this game to reality in a 1 to 1 sense. I never had a problem in previous games where I felt stick lifts were so OP that they hindered my offensive capability. As it is now it just DOESN'T WORK. Yes, extended stick lifts work if your opponent is standing still but in this game that happens almost never.

I know that when I play hockey in real life I can hold my opponents stick up in the air while he's gliding to my net on the back door (say if I'm on the back check) and in this hand that is not possible.

But apparently COGS thinks that you should have to wait until your opponent is stationary before you try to initiate any sort of stock lift.

It's funny because every respectable player I have talked to about it agrees that the stick lift is useless.

He doesn't play defense. He basically just said the sticklift is fine, even though when you can be in perfect position to use it, it simply doesn't work. I don't take penalties because im.not trying to do it at the wrong time, I just attempt a stick lift and it literally does nothing. I have performed a handful of successful stick lifts where you hear the stick contact and the puck comes loose. A feature to keep an opponents stick lifted while you throw a small body check or drive them into the boards needs to become a thing. That's what I was hoping for when they talked about new stick tie ups.

He has no clue whats hes talking about, he's just trolling, I've played 20 years of hockey as defense, stick lifting is a frequent play in any league, if you've ever battled for a puxk you'd know that. He's full of $h*#.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WmozG87FtvI

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eKldJTt7fI8

Sticklifts are useless in real hockey though.

Gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and just tell you that stick tie ups (holding A) work, and stick lifts (clicking A) don't. No one here thinks stick tie ups don't work. Everyone here is saying stick lifts don't. They're two different things.

And it's not in the same situations. The tie up is when the guy does NOT have the puck, and you tie him up to prevent his getting it on a pass. The stick lift is when the guy DOES have the puck, and you do it to cause a change of possession.

You probably have no problem tying up players going for the puck because the tie up isn't broken. The stick lift is.

Friend I have played more hockey then you can imagine, I have made money, won titles, and had my education paid for.

Stick tie ups and stick lifts are 2 very different things

please learn to read.
  • I think they obviously wanted to eliminate the sword-fights that were occurring in the beta/pre-release, which is great, but there has to be some balance. When you swoop behind a guy, you should be able to pick his pocket with it. Whether that means changing the animation to make it fit more with modern hockey, or changing the system altogether, it should still function properly in some capacity. Currently, it's useless.
  • COGSx86
    783 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Do you watch hockey ?
    Did you watch the Canada-Russia world cup game yesterday (Canada won 5-3 by the way) ?

There was literally 4 stick lifts, that whole game. The reason I know this, is because I was specifically watching for this, because of this thread, during that game. And with normal NHL games its no different.

And showing 2 clips of 2 of the best defensive forwards, scoring 1 goal each during one game of their 30-40 goals per season, in 60 minute game. Ok great.

But how many stick lifts happen in a game ? Lets get the statistics and compare it ?

Im sure EA has done their home work and realized the frequency of stick lifts in this game compared to real hockey was way out proportion.