EA Forums - Banner

What is going on EA? Arcade hockey is back

124Next

Replies

• Meet the new forums, same as the old forums ...
  • ask pavel datstyuk if he thinks stick lifts are part of hockey
  • Everything is good about the gameplay except for the overpowering puck control. When you get matched against someone online that exploits it, it ruins the experience. I think the EA NHL team thinks that it will entice me to buy more HUT packs to make my team better but instead it makes me want to just not play.

Last year there was overpowering puck control, this year it is pretty easy to defend against the dangler wannabes. Of course you will always face someone that is pretty good at keeping the puck, but when that's the case usually a slight bump or nudge into them knocks it loose. That wasn't the case last year where just about anyone with limited stick skills could dance though the whole offensive zone with the puck glued to their stick.

I think a lot of people are still trying to play the game defensively like last year, instead of being a bit more physical ( and it doesn't take much) people are trying to stick check to much.

As for the offensive side of things: All you people saying you can't cycle the puck need to git good. Cycling works great, patience with the puck and passing it around opens up a ton of room to create chances this year(HINT use your friggin point men and unload slap shots....). If you just try skating in on the rush and want to wrist the puck from the slot that's your own dumb fault as that's about the easiest thing to defend...especially this year.
  • Stick lift last year was **** and way to powerful. I can agree it needs a bit of a tweak to be more effective but my god I don't want to go back to last year as the only way to defend and the fencing battles that ensued.
  • Hotjoint wrote: »
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    Hey cogs, guaranteed you didn't watch off the puck. Because there's around a 100 or more stick lifts in a real game of hockey ;)

Net battles, board battles, stick tie ups on passes. You name it. It's called defense.

Hahah yeah I literally laughed out loud when he said there were "4" stick lifts the entire game. :D

Cogs you gotta be trolling. Stick lifts are a MAJOR part of hockey. I've played hockey pretty much all my life and that's one of the first things that they teach you.

That's what he does. You can tell he's never played a real game in his life otherwise he'd know that. Good positioning+sticklift is the first thing any coach teaches about defense. Why? Because it's effective defense. He thinks every game should have football-like scores, with all-star game like non existent defense. Dont waste your time.
  • COGSx86
    783 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    COGSx86 wrote: »

https://youtube.com/watch?v=T3IfK2I7SOg

Alot of these were just stick tie ups and not stick lifts.

6:50 yes sitck lift
    7:48 tie up
    10:18 tie up
    11:21 guys no where near anyone
    11:27 was a clear stick tie up
    15:08 stick tie up again, it was more toews hitting marners stick, not even similiar to a stick lift or a tie up
    16:09 Poke check followed by body contact
    16:37 Im sorry not a single stick blade was off the ice
    16:53 Poke check the blade didnt even leave the ice **** ?
    17:03 This would be called a stick tie up
    18:47 Yes this was a stick lift by Hossa go figure
    18:49 And yes Hossa tried to do a stick lift again and missed
    19:32 Another clear tie up

SO in the whole video with the times listed, I count 3 stick lifts, and only 2 being success ( Hossa lost the puck with a half second later and then tried again and missed completely)

You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • I strictly play D and I've been part of the group that said stick lifting was too overpowered for years. The sword play was so unrealistic...however, that being said, that fact that it doesn't work nearly at all in NHL 17 puts defensemen at a huge disadvantage.

I understand players don't "stick lift" as much as we could in a video game, but the problem is EA has given defensemen two tools:

1) check player
    2) poke check

We don't have control of our stick to tie up players, lift stick, or just have general stick on stick contact. Yet, offensive players are given a plethora of dekes and spin moves.

So yeah...stick lift needs to be brought back to an appropriate level of success.
  • guacapoli wrote: »
    I strictly play D and I've been part of the group that said stick lifting was too overpowered for years. The sword play was so unrealistic...however, that being said, that fact that it doesn't work nearly at all in NHL 17 puts defensemen at a huge disadvantage.

I understand players don't "stick lift" as much as we could in a video game, but the problem is EA has given defensemen two tools:

1) check player
    2) poke check

We don't have control of our stick to tie up players, lift stick, or just have general stick on stick contact. Yet, offensive players are given a plethora of dekes and spin moves.

So yeah...stick lift needs to be brought back to an appropriate level of success.

Have you used the stick tie up feature ?
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    *sigh*

Stick tie-ups (like the body tie-ups) work when you're in a (nearly) stand still state in front of the net (although EA made stick tie-ups possible anywhere on the ice).

We need a way to interrupt puck control from people ragging the puck all over the ice. In other words while we and they are in motion.

Stick lift would be perfect for those situations. Stick and Body tie-ups are perfect for the areas around the net to prevent one-timer attempts.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    guacapoli wrote: »
    I strictly play D and I've been part of the group that said stick lifting was too overpowered for years. The sword play was so unrealistic...however, that being said, that fact that it doesn't work nearly at all in NHL 17 puts defensemen at a huge disadvantage.

1) check player
    2) poke check

Have you used the stick tie up feature ?

This is only for tying up stationery players. This is useless for all these johnny dangle figure skaters.
  • The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    The stick lift issue has been dealt with guys, no point in arguing over it any more, on the top of the general forums they acknowledged it was broken, it'll be fixed next update.
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Archibald3 wrote: »
    I think we are talking about several different things here. The probelm wasn't just "people learning the exploits", that i accept. The problem was some kind of adjustment to the online sliders that changed the feel quite radically from a slowish, fairly realistic hockey sim, to a significantly faster, less fatigue influenced free-for-all. It wasn't just between the beta and now either - it was quite a change from the 10 hour pre-release.

My friends and i know the sliders well, and are intimately fairly familiar with how you can change the "feel" of the on-ice skating through changes to the speed, acceleration, and fatigue settings. The problem is when you unleash those sliders it becomes less like what the casuals would call "skating in mud", and more like we would sim players would call arcadey. They usually start with a pretty good sim, then at some point renege on that and give the casuals what they want, which is easy passing, shot accuracy and exaggerated speed and puck control.

Its probably because Ea has the feeling that most people like to play this way. And maybe its even the truth.

Just being part of Gamechangers, I can see what most other guys want. The even worse scenario is that some people think that's how real hockey looks like.

They want to sped up this and that.. saying that's how the real game actuallyfeels when they're on the ice in real world.

It's interesting.