EA Forums - Banner

Ok I quit

Replies

• Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    And how would EA 'separate Finland from the UK' exactly, sounds tricky? Would they even be able to since apparently HUT is PvP? And some Finns use US accos anyways (if that has any bearing on it?)

What I would like to know is whether in these cases of UK-FI game, did the Finnish player encounter any lag? Or was it just on your side? That's why I offered to play a test game on the PS4. Or are you guys on Xbox?

Honestly? No idea how they'd do it but they need to do something. I've never played a Canadian and I think played like ONE guy from the US last year. There's clearly a system that decides which area of the world you play within. Unfortunately for the UK, we tend to play 95% against Russia and Finland this year.

I've had hundreds of conversations with Finns during and after. They pretty much all say they felt fast and smooth. Many tell me it's weird, like my players are skating out of their way. They all say it felt ridiculously easy to win. Whatever it is, it's much worse than last year ever was - far more regular and the AI is even more ****. I'm on PS4 - happy to test it and see if it affects VS too.
  • Likewise.

I am more than happy to play a Finn to prove the issue. (XB1)

I actually managed to face up to a couple of Canadians at stupid O'clock last night, neither game suffered the issues from the UK.

Which is strange as surely there should be immense lag with the distance.
  • I think I'm done too. Just got relegated from Div 4 after winning 7 faceoffs in TOTAL across 3 games. Both English-looking usernames so couldn't avoid them, plus the last one who I figured was German. Check their profile post-game and they're all Finnish.
  • eyebrowz84 wrote: »
    I think I'm done too. Just got relegated from Div 4 after winning 7 faceoffs in TOTAL across 3 games. Both English-looking usernames so couldn't avoid them, plus the last one who I figured was German. Check their profile post-game and they're all Finnish.

Yeah, I am with you bud.

Problem is we in the UK are a minority and as a result it's not a priority.

Just waiting on the "Get Gud" messages.
  • Even with delay you should be able to win faceoffs as they have more to do with countering and faceoff rating than having perfect timing in my opinion.

Its unfortunate that you are dealing with so much delay. I haven't had that problem at all but granted I'm just outside the Greater Toronto Area.
  • this game is much harder to adjust to than NHL16 in my opinion
  • One interesting quirk (of this joke of a situation) is fighting. Every time I fight a Finn I win and they barely land a punch. So many of them message and call me a cheater after a fight it's nuts. Sure enough, the worse the synchronization problem for me is, the worse their fighting becomes. It's like EA are saying "yeah, we'll give you a ghost stick and hologram players but we'll disable your opponent during fighting in return"
  • Try to improve your gameplay with synergies. I built a team with 6 synergies activated and since then my performance is much better. My players are 85-87. It´s really amazing how the AI defense improved.
  • wilgui116 wrote: »
    Try to improve your gameplay with synergies. I built a team with 6 synergies activated and since then my performance is much better. My players are 85-87. It´s really amazing how the AI defense improved.

It was my first thought, so I got synergies in place quickly. I've got OJ, PP, Trap, WW activated (possibly one more). Makes absolutely no difference. I see your line of thinking though, as last year getting the chemistry right improved it marginally.
  • wilgui116 wrote: »
    Try to improve your gameplay with synergies. I built a team with 6 synergies activated and since then my performance is much better. My players are 85-87. It´s really amazing how the AI defense improved.

this is really good to know.

I currently have active:
    PLAYER (Wicked Wrister and Dirty Dangler)
    TEAM (Tape to Tape)

I am working adding:
    PLAYER (Offensive Juggernaut)
    TEAM (One Timer Efficiency)

I think these are helping honestly, but I still would like to see the actual stats increase in green on the Player Info screen.
  • ESPOtheDON wrote: »
    wilgui116 wrote: »

this is really good to know.

I currently have active:
    PLAYER (Wicked Wrister and Dirty Dangler)
    TEAM (Tape to Tape)

I am working adding:
    PLAYER (Offensive Juggernaut)
    TEAM (One Timer Efficiency)

I think these are helping honestly, but I still would like to see the actual stats increase in green on the Player Info screen.

none of this makes a blind bit of difference. It's nothing to do with the game play element it just goes all strange playing Finland opponents from the UK.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, so ... eyebrowz and me played three or four games (I think), and I lost them all. One with really ugly numbers like 0-10 or something. Two games were Versus and one or two HUT. In think I managed two rubbish goals in one game, in others I could barely cross the blueline.

It was pretty dismal playing against him. All the things you Brits have moaned about Finns, except the tables were reversed. I could not hold the puck for damn, I lost most face-offs, in hut especially. My guys were slow as hell, he could easily catch them skating backwards, I couldn't poke the puck from him, or if I did, he got it right back. Shots in most games were around 9 to his 30. Oh yeah, fighting... I could barely land a puch, it was like being in a straight jacket.

So there goes that theory, or at least if there is something fishy (other than slower connection), then it works in both directions. Of course, you Brits don't come complaining here, if you crush your oppoent do you? :p

I think it's as simple as the player with the faster connection gets a huge advantage. To be sure, mr. Eyebrowz was the better player, but I dont think that explains it at all, and it's easy to be better when everything works for you, right?
  • theyve made way too many adjustments this year, changed were too drastic from previous years. one thing i really notice is cutting a player off coming down the wing. my player slows down and the opponent speeds up making it harder to rub him out into the boards or throw a hit. its still early in the release, hopefully there will be some updates coming in the near future with some gameplay improvement. LOL who am i kidding, dont hold your breath.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Yeah, so ... eyebrowz and me played three or four games (I think), and I lost them all. One with really ugly numbers like 0-10 or something. Two games were Versus and one or two HUT. In think I managed two rubbish goals in one game, in others I could barely cross the blueline.

It was pretty dismal playing against him. All the things you Brits have moaned about Finns, except the tables were reversed. I could not hold the puck for ****, I lost most face-offs, in hut especially. My guys were slow as ****, he could easily catch them skating backwards, I couldn't poke the puck from him, or if I did, he got it right back. Shots in most games were around 9 to his 30. Oh yeah, fighting... I could barely land a puch, it was like being in a straight jacket.

So there goes that theory, or at least if there is something fishy (other than slower connection), then it works in both directions. Of course, you Brits don't come complaining here, if you crush your oppoent do you? :p

I think it's as simple as the player with the faster connection gets a huge advantage. To be sure, mr. Eyebrowz was the better player, but I dont think that explains it at all, and it's easy to be better when everything works for you, right?

It was weird. I'm not sure if the mechanics of the game change when you send a request to play, but I actually felt able to play the game. I could see you were suffering all the same issues I do every time against a Finn (it was a little pleasing in a sick way!). Faceoffs felt responsive, passes went where I wanted and my AI responded. It was like the game was actually playing how it was meant to.

I'm glad you experienced that. It's how the game plays for us Brits the vast majority of the time - hopefully you understand now why we get so pi$$ed off about it on here!
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Well, yes. But don't think I haven't experienced that before. I had games like that a lot in NHL16, it was just something that you were forced to bear with. And it didn't have to be a long-distance connection (relatively speaking). In fact, I still encounter games like that in EASHL, where roughly every other game is like that: your team can do nothing right, and the opponent is running rings around you. I bet others have had that?

So I think it has nothing to do with you being British, and the opponent being Finnish, it's combination of long distance and difference in connection speed? I think EA has gotten better in 'hiding' lag or response delay, but it's still there, and I suspect they can do nothing about it?

But if that was a basis for getting compensation from EA for bollocked product, we'd ALL be entitled to it. So I am a little suprised at some of you managing to get extra stuff from them, although of course it doesn't cost them anything.
  • I think if virtually every game was like that for you, you'd begin to question just how fit for purpose the product actually is. Maybe it's coincidence but over 1000 games last year says there's more to it. In fact, you'd be the first Finn that I wouldn't immediately have said "you're from Finland" after the game began. I'm almost 100% accurate with it - delays and lag where the opponent is faster happens all the time, but this is a different feeling altogether.

They've checked connection and verified it as ok. It's not a problem on any other game, so the problem lies somewhere in the programming. Perhaps it's just because the game is relatively fast that these inadequacies show up more obviously. Ultimately if you're going to sell a game based on the its online playability, then you really should ensure that it's playable online. Where it isn't, you should fix it (like the patch last year for Captain lag) or give money back. It's not a one way street where the customer hands over cash and accepts crap service. If more people chased them for money back they'd be forced to invest in solving the problems.
  • Well, there you go. It's impossible to say definitely what is going on, as there are so many variables and because EA isn't going to tell us what is going on, or even how things work in reality. So we can't say for sure that is down to EA, connections, distance, nationality or whatever. Which seems to be fine by EA?

But our example proved that it's not all Finnish players. Not much else.
  • so basically you don't like playing people from Finland... lol
  • MrSpireite wrote: »
    Nope, this post sums it up perfectly, game is unplayable in the UK

eyebrowz84 wrote:
    I'm so glad it's not just me!
    I got NHL 17 free of charge from EA after complaining that Finland is unplayable from the UK last year. Once I threatened litigation (after being refused a refund) they gave me a bunch of free stuff to quiet down. Anyway, I will bet ANY takers 1,000,000 coins that I can identify within 5 minutes whether they are from Finland or not. I may as well be playing an entirely different game - it is THAT unique of an experience. The main features of a game against a Finn are;

Your stick is a 'ghost'. Much like the nerfed stick lift, pokechecks will pass through the player and puck as if you're a ghost.

Turning is painfully slow, especially defending one on ones. Your skaters are a split second slower.
    The opponent has a super-poke, which they can use to strip you of the puck from 10 feet away. They're pretty particularly good at pokechecks from behind, which pass through your body.
    Faceoffs? Forget them. The annoying guide will tell me 'great timing' every time but if I win more than 20% of draws it's a miracle. Again, upon replay the stick passes straight through the opponents and the puck. Even if I try and spam the tie up, it won't work.
    Battles/incidental collisions will ALWAYS result in the opponent winning the puck. Like it's magnetised in their favour.
    The AI: They're lost. I mean so far out of position it's hilarious. Your D will both head behind the net to chase one guy on the PP, leaving it open for the inevitable one-time goal. The forwards make a point out of trying to skate the exact same lanes, leading to friendly collisions every other rush (on the rare occasion you get possession). Goaltenders may as well not bother with their positions.
    Figure skaters: POPULAR MISCONCEPTION. What you're experiencing is a combination of the above. Being slow, unable to jostle and taking 7 attempts to select the correct player means that they can skate around you with ease. I've been messaged numerous times by Finn's who think it's weirdly easy to skate by me and ask if I've got lag. My time on attack is usually around 3 mins to their 11.
    The sad thing is, it's actually got worse. Exactly the same problems as last year but feel amplified. Last year I could kind of compensate with solid D, but this year I'm regularly getting done over 9-2 or similar, usually giving up 18 shots or so. EA know about this issue but are either not skilled enough or have no desire to fix it. Utterly, utterly pathetic. I shouldn't have to guess from the username if it's a Finn then try searching for a game over and over until I'm lucky enough to get a Czech or Dane for example. The game is great when it's smooth, but despite great network stats it's NEVER smooth against Finland.
    Every single one of my friends in the UK reports the same issue. I challenge ANY representative from EA to try and justify producing the exact same fault as last year or tell me I'm wrong. Fix it or start refunding those who pump money into this game.

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life after EA emailed me today to say they're unable to verify the issue as nobody else has complained about any of the above issues in NHL 17. Studio don't think they exist.

I'm lost for words - apparently their reading skills are on a par with their designing skills.
  • I don't think they read this forum at all... maybe you should copy-paste the posts for them? :p