EA Forums - Banner

New Goalie Stances

I really like the ability to pick from a variety of stances. A must, I think, considering how many styles of goalies there are.
I've tried several and am loving the No. 8 stance with a hybrid. Kind of a J.Quick. Does anyone know if the stances actually affect the gameplay. It feels like they actually perform differently from each other, but I don't know.

Replies

• From what I understand it's only cosmetic and doesn't effect the actual saves.
  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    They're purely aesthetic.

I've found though that if my goalie doesn't react at all to a shot (it happens) his stance will block it depending on how he is positioned. I don't know what causes your goalie not to react, maybe a heavy screen but for example if your glove is angled down and there is a hip-height shot that your goalie is oblivious to it might just hit the glove model as opposed to if it was set higher.

That's a bit complicated, so the easy answer is don't worry about your stance impacting how you save the puck.
  • It doesn't affect it directly but I've switched between using Lundqvist's stance which is number 17 and Quick's which is number 26 and I have noticed that because Quick has a lower stance and holds his glove lower it has a different save animation that sometimes makes a slight difference between hitting the glove and going into it, like jon said but overall it's not much of a difference that it actually impacts the game too much.
  • Kinvarus wrote: »
    It doesn't affect it directly but I've switched between using Lundqvist's stance which is number 17 and Quick's which is number 26 and I have noticed that because Quick has a lower stance and holds his glove lower it has a different save animation that sometimes makes a slight difference between hitting the glove and going into it, like jon said but overall it's not much of a difference that it actually impacts the game too much.

Yes, Quick is my guy for online shootout and versus (**** lock). How do you know what stance number is who? It may be cosmetic but I've got a couple club shoutouts and my sv percentage is going way up since I changed stances.
    It's the low stance that for some reason makes hugging the post less necessary. When playing 2's in club against wrap-around masters it is awesome.
  • Ya the new goalie stances definitely have different animations, I wonder if your stance should follow your goalie selection.

Example: Stance 3 (no idea what this looks like, just using it as an example) With hybrid, goalie will have a specific animation for that during certain situations.

I think so, because I know EA has taken this very seriously, when developing players movements. For example the skating engine has thousands of animations. Im sure goalies is no different.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Ya the new goalie stances definitely have different animations, I wonder if your stance should follow your goalie selection.

Example: Stance 3 (no idea what this looks like, just using it as an example) With hybrid, goalie will have a specific animation for that during certain situations.

I think so, because I know EA has taken this very seriously, when developing players movements. For example the skating engine has thousands of animations. Im sure goalies is no different.

Ben stated that the stances are purely cosmetic.
  • COGSx86
    783 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Ya the new goalie stances definitely have different animations, I wonder if your stance should follow your goalie selection.

oh :/ makes sense, I guess the animations I have been seeing just happen becuz there is so mnay hahah thanks
    You must unlearn what you have learned!

oh :/ makes sense, I guess the animations I have been seeing just happen becuz there is so mnay hahah thanks

I honestly couldn't say. Of course stances will have a very slight affect but it will not affect save animations or how effective it is to get to a post, for example.
  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    Go into customize roster and then select whatever goalie you want. Edit their details and you'll see their stance.

Or read them here :smile: :

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/81532/nhl-goalies-custom-stance-s-unofficial-list/p1?new=1
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm rocking Goalie Stance #10 which is the closest approximation of the goalie stance I use in real life. I find it cool that goalies can have that extra "visual" individuality to them.

Now here's hoping that in the future we can actually have different types of save animations that come with the different goalie types we select.

BTW, Jon, how about the next gamechangers/dev meeting you can discuss making the types be more in-line with the current times. No goalie plays STAND-UP anymore. I mean, it would be ok to leave it for those "classic" goalies, but really the main styles for goalies should be Butterfly-Blocking, Hybrid-Butterfly and Hybrid-Athletic.

I honestly couldn't say. Of course stances will have a very slight affect but it will not affect save animations or how effective it is to get to a post, for example.

On the different animation thing, yes the animations are different from stance to stance unless I'm smoking way too much weed. Aggressive low-stance goalies have some really cool-looking moves and seems to actually perform better in the crease and on the posts. You can also see more.
  • jonlolol wrote: »
    Go into customize roster and then select whatever goalie you want. Edit their details and you'll see their stance.

Or read them here :smile: :

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/81532/nhl-goalies-custom-stance-s-unofficial-list/p1?new=1

Nice. Thanks, bro.
  • I've found that I just overall play better with stance 19
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I'm rocking Goalie Stance #10 which is the closest approximation of the goalie stance I use in real life. I find it cool that goalies can have that extra "visual" individuality to them.
    So I just went to "try" #10 and remembered there is no club practice mode or EASHL practice mode or anyway to play with the EASHL goalies without being a live lab rat in a real game.
    How are we supposed to sample all of the stances, Jon? I can see that No. 8 is Carey Price and go play Price in another mode. But how do I practice with a No.10 hybrid EASHL goalie?