EA Forums - Banner

True Performance Skating

Replies

• Seriously though Cogs, just post one video of you playing position locked to D for an entire game and show us how good you are and how rarely you have trouble with the skating system.
  • I really don't care what anyone says about them thinking the skating is fine. I've been playing this game long enough and have been a top defensemen on the leader boards back when the game used to be fun and I played a fair amount. When they say it's fine they are basically saying that it's playable. Yes, it's playable but it has been, can be, should be better than it currently is and TPS is the main reason behind that. I don't need to see video proof of other people playing the game especially a guy who hasn't played defense since 2009. I know what's possible as far as real life, and what's possible in this game. I've spent the time playing games, and in free skate figuring out the subtleties to the skating and there are simply things that you cannot accomplish with it that are fundamental to hockey. It's not even a debate.
  • Why is COGS so happy about this stick tie up feature that only works when skaters are at a standstill (which is almost never?) That's like his main arguing point in every post.
  • Does anyone else find the skating inconsistent? I find it differs period to period. Wondering if anyone else experiences this?

I can start a game a play a flawless period. Next period I push to skate left and my skater does a 360 before going left. I'm skating up and push right and my skater plows to a stop then skates right. Next period everything is fine. Next game, I can't skate again!

Don't know if this is a personal issue or coded in. There is finesse to skating which is great but find that it isn't always consistently to my commands. Happened in NHL16 too.
  • Does anyone else find the skating inconsistent? I find it differs period to period. Wondering if anyone else experiences this?

I can start a game a play a flawless period. Next period I push to skate left and my skater does a 360 before going left. I'm skating up and push right and my skater plows to a stop then skates right. Next period everything is fine. Next game, I can't skate again!

Don't know if this is a personal issue or coded in. There is finesse to skating which is great but find that it isn't always consistently to my commands. Happened in NHL16 too.

The skating ia consistently inconsistent. As far as I understand it based on playing and from what Ben has said, the game is constantly changing how your skater will behave based on where you are, your speed and where the puck is. And hockey being such a fast game I feel like the game out thinks itself and this is why you get these spins. The way vision control currently works has at least like 10 different functions. I feel that if it were simplified it would be more predictable. We'd also have more control. Predictability with more control would be a better experience. If vision control was simply a "face the puck" button there would still be certain hurdles that the developers would have to work out through trial and error, like for instance what speeds certain lateral movements can be performed and button mapping/modifiers. There's probably other things that I could never even think of because I'm not a developer/programmer, and I'm not saying this is something super easy to do, but something needs to be done.

I've thought about how this could be done and there's multiple ways and I may have to mine the old thread and repost ideas that I and others have talked about here in this thread to try and refresh everyone's memories as well as keep the new people to this topic on the same page

The skating ia consistently inconsistent. As far as I understand it based on playing and from what Ben has said, the game is constantly changing how your skater will behave based on where you are, your speed and where the puck is. And hockey being such a fast game I feel like the game out thinks itself and this is why you get these spins. The way vision control currently works has at least like 10 different functions. I feel that if it were simplified it would be more predictable. We'd also have more control. Predictability with more control would be a better experience. If vision control was simply a "face the puck" button there would still be certain hurdles that the developers would have to work out through trial and error, like for instance what speeds certain lateral movements can be performed and button mapping/modifiers. There's probably other things that I could never even think of because I'm not a developer/programmer, and I'm not saying this is something super easy to do, but something needs to be done.

I've thought about how this could be done and there's multiple ways and I may have to mine the old thread and repost ideas that I and others have talked about here in this thread to try and refresh everyone's memories as well as keep the new people to this topic on the same page

What about some kind of toggle while L2 is held in? Set it for right stick click, default L2 is skate backwards, click right stick while it's held in and it switches to pure vision control.

When you have the puck you wouldn't need vision control so it wouldn't affect fake shot. As far as I know right stick click (R3) doesn't do anything without the puck.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Does anyone else find the skating inconsistent? I find it differs period to period. Wondering if anyone else experiences this?

What about some kind of toggle while L2 is held in? Set it for right stick click, default L2 is skate backwards, click right stick while it's held in and it switches to pure vision control.

When you have the puck you wouldn't need vision control so it wouldn't affect fake shot. As far as I know right stick click (R3) doesn't do anything without the puck.

I am all for giving us the tools we need to play this game properly, but are you sure you want to suggest the use of THREE different buttons just for the sake of skating (L Stick for movement, L2 for Vision, and another toggle button?) Skating is supposed to be the fundamental part of hockey, ya know, like you HAVE to be able to do this before you even think about playing the game. It's where it all starts. On a video game controller it just needs to work ALL of the time and act more as an afterthought rather than the main point of focus that we have now.

If EA can't implement this skating engine PROPERLY and SEAMLESSLY then I vote to either go back to what we had years before (which I never had a problem with control) or come up with a better idea.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Does anyone else find the skating inconsistent? I find it differs period to period. Wondering if anyone else experiences this?

I am all for giving us the tools we need to play this game properly, but are you sure you want to suggest the use of THREE different buttons just for the sake of skating (L Stick for movement, L2 for Vision, and another toggle button?) Skating is supposed to be the fundamental part of hockey, ya know, like you HAVE to be able to do this before you even think about playing the game. It's where it all starts. On a video game controller it just needs to work ALL of the time and act more as an afterthought rather than the main point of focus that we have now.

If EA can't implement this skating engine PROPERLY and SEAMLESSLY then I vote to either go back to what we had years before (which I never had a problem with control) or come up with a better idea.

I'd rather just have two seperate buttons. The theory for why you'd want two buttons is to have one button just to backskate with or without the puck, and then another for vision control, which would still be used to simply backskate depending on the situation but also allows you to perform lateral movements and to simply track the puck if you're not moving (which yes, we know isn't difficult, but it would just so happen to be an inherent function of pressing the button)

L2 remaining as backskate and L1 used for vision control I think could work. But there could be other buttons used and I am always a big advocate of giving users options to pick and choose how certain things are implemented if it's possible. I think this could be one of those things. Like for instance if L1 was used for vision control you'd have to ask yourself "what about blocking pucks or diving" for defense, and "what about deking" on offense. Well I think that there's multiple solutions. Blocking is a feature that's already semi-automated in the game. As long as you're not skating your player will attempt a block. But you could also have other buttons such as r3 used for blocking/diving. And as far as deking goes, that's another aspect of the game that EA has pretty much phased out. Most dekes I see performed are done without using L1 and theyre just the regular right stick type of loose puck dekes. I'm sure some people still use the L1 dekes but I just don't see them all that often, and they're done by forwards. So obviously there would be a tradeoff. In the control settings there could be something like an "advanced defense" option where you use L1 like I've just described and if you're a forward who likes to dangle, maybe there's an option to not have vision control while you have the puck, or to select a different modifier for vision control while with the puck for those people that want to keep L1 deking options.

Vision control on offense isn't as crucial as it is on defense but I think it would be useful of like I have mentioned in the thread already if it a allowed you to focus and turn towards the crease, and then be able to skate laterally in relation to it. So you could sidestep down in the corner or behind the net and be in a good position to dish a puck to the slot.
  • Sadiztic wrote: »
    Seriously though Cogs, just post one video of you playing position locked to D for an entire game and show us how good you are and how rarely you have trouble with the skating system.

He's mediocre at best. Venom owned him in OVP.

Owned me, playing draft champions( Ice tilt/ AI learning to the max) over 10 mins TOA outshot him 18-8 and lost 2-0.

Ya I got owned, lmao
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • nickythewop
    451 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Sadiztic wrote: »
    Seriously though Cogs, just post one video of you playing position locked to D for an entire game and show us how good you are and how rarely you have trouble with the skating system.

Owned me, playing draft champions( Ice tilt/ AI learning to the max) over 10 mins TOA outshot him 18-8 and lost 2-0.

Ya I got owned, lmao

LMAO, ice tilt. You were probably just crossing the red line and hitting up on the right stick.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »

Ya I got owned, lmao

I'm sorry but did you not just bag on a guy in a different thread for having like 13 min TOA and 27-5 shots, saying "coming over the red line and pushing up on the RS isn't proof"? Come on man.
  • CH1l1X95 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »

Ya I got owned, lmao

I'm sorry but did you not just bag on a guy in a different thread for having like 13 min TOA and 27-5 shots, saying "coming over the red line and pushing up on the RS isn't proof"? Come on man.

come on what ? Someone said I got owned, I provided statistics to show that wasnt the case and that it was a good game. Venom plays solid defense, collapses to the front of his net, didnt give me much.
  • Seriously though Cogs, just post one video of you playing position locked to D for an entire game and show us how good you are and how rarely you have trouble with the skating system.

He already did that during the Beta and got eviscerated by the comments pointing out situations where it was obvious he had a lack of control of what he wanted his player to do. He denied this,of course, so he's either lying or makes stupid decisions like actually wanting to face the back boards when defending the cross crease.

• mulsberry wrote: »

He already did that during the Beta and got eviscerated by the comments pointing out situations where it was obvious he had a lack of control of what he wanted his player to do. He denied this,of course, so he's either lying or makes stupid decisions like actually wanting to face the back boards when defending the cross crease.

I didnt know I posted videos from the beta interesting!
  • Thanks for the bumps and all, but maybe take the side arguments to a different thread?
  • Bump.
  • Am i the only one that likes the skating, or doesn't have that much of an issue with it?
    I honestly dont see a problem, unless I spam sprint and tire out. it still feels explosive.
  • Am i the only one that likes the skating, or doesn't have that much of an issue with it?
    I honestly dont see a problem, unless I spam sprint and tire out. it still feels explosive.

I'm still not a fan. Changing direction at low speeds should be much more fluid. It is terribly clunky right now. Additionally, EA needs to fix contact between players so that someone can't just skate into you and take you out of position.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Am i the only one that likes the skating, or doesn't have that much of an issue with it?

The issue with TPS is that most users are holding their left sticks at full range, 100% of the time. Then they begin to use Hustle almost the entire game.

These same users then come to the forums and say everything about the game is broken. It feels broken because everyone is trying to control their player at 100% speed at all times.

I'm in agreement with @strategg101 in that I like the skating system. Once you've taken the time to learn that holding your stick at 100% range is detrimental to most of the mechanics (dekes, puck pickups, etc) you'll realize we have so much more control.

I honestly feel there should be some settings to allow you to indicate the range of your left stick and the impact it has on your player's skating. Almost a "precision default" for skaters. This would show casuals (and a lot of so called "life long players") that continuously controlling your player with 100% range of the left stick is going to yield bad results.

Ok, valid points.

But it still does not help low speed agility. Does not help low speed impact on pack carriers. Puck carriers are still way more agile than defenders and defenders cannot compete with the puck carrier's lateral speed and agility.

Should also note a puck carrier holds his stick out at 100%, yet retains puck control and makes it near impossible to strip him of the puck. Even harder to do when they do this along the boards.

You may have brought good points, but there is still so much wrong with TPS.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Should also note a puck carrier holds his stick out at 100%, yet retains puck control and makes it near impossible to strip him of the puck. Even harder to do when they do this along the boards.

I think you may be referring to the right stick.

I'm referring to the movement of a player with the left stick. I'd wager 90% of the users of this game have it held at 100%, all the time. This will result in puck bobbles, inability to receive passes, penalties.. etc.

Although I agree that puck carriers have a lot of agility - more so than defenders - I've found that maintaining a glide or pressing 10-15% on my left stick to direct my defenceman results in MUCH better control, less penalties from poke checking and the ability to maintain positioning without spinning and facing the wrong way - which are two of the most common complaints around here.

Yea I was referring to the RS but the puck carrier can do it with both sticks and still retain very good control.

As for the rest of your comment, I will try it out. Deserves to be tested to say the least.

You think that 90% of players do this mistake. Don't you think that is a staggering number? The point I am trying to make, and have said so in the past, why the h e l l doesn't EA include "how-to" videos in the game?

There should be videos explaining basic and advanced dekes.

Maybe the point you raised about LS.

How puck pickups work and how to position yourself or what to do to make it work better for you.

How to take and win faceoffs. Then let you practice faceoffs and explain what you did wrong or why you can't win them.

How "vision control" works.

There are other issues, but the point is, EA does not explain any of this. They always let users figure it out themselves. Yea sure it is nice to have a target on the net that explains where to shoot, but there is so much more to this game. It definitely is NOT noob friendly.
    Go see how many hits videos get on Youtube that explain dekes as an example. There is no excuse why noobs have to resort to Youtube to know how to play the game, or what does what.

If all of this were included in the game, then maybe I could fully agree with you here on your word alone.