EA Forums - Banner

NHL 17 unrealistic physics ( lets see those videos and post accordingly)

Replies

• This is one of my bigger concerns is the foot work of the computer players. Especially on D. This happens time and time and time again. Computer AI steals puck from you with their feet.

• This is one of my bigger concerns is the foot work of the computer players. Especially on D. This happens time and time and time again. Computer AI steals puck from you with their feet.

That's a new one. Good catch, and yea, that definitely shouldn't be happening.

I got more, but I have to run out the door for a bit. Anyone notice time disappearing from clock? I got it on video. Will upload in a bit.
  • That ai was obviously imported from FIFA.

This was added this year. You see all the time. It isn't just AI players. It's user-controlled players, too, only the user doesn't do anything to make it happen.

It works exactly the way it does in that clip: players are able to reach behind themselves with their feet and kick the puck perfectly forward to their stick, even when they can't see the puck and IRL would have no way of pulling this off. You see it most often when an offensive player has been knocked off the puck -- it allows him to recover the puck quickly after he's lost it.

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Sometimes I think EA does this, so goals get scored

2wnp72q.jpg

Setting aside the fact that the puck would never fit through that little space beneath Pavelec's pads, these two clips show completely different things. Pavelec's space is created by being in butterfly, which angles the pads up. In the game clip, the puck goes underneath the end of the pad, which is somehow miraculously off the ground.

Nothing about the goalie's reaction in the game clip make sense. He semi-drops to butterly, but then doesn't use his stick to block the 5-hole. He has the shot covered with his right pad if he does what Pavelec does, but instead he sort of waves at it with his stick and lowers his pads in the middle, even though the shot is to his outside. Just a complete joke, and yet another example of the game arbitrarily gifting one team a goal.

In that photo his right pad is off the ice because it is actually resting on his stick blade. For the last 4 years or so, goalie pads are perfectly flush to the ice when in butterfly. They are designed that way.

Interesting. Makes those goals you see in this game even sillier.
  • Got a screen shot of a friend that got launched the height of the glass, then saw it happen again later on that night to our dman. strange stuff.
  • how about a real case of puck through goalies pads.

eashl

http://xboxclips.com/kschepis/4de43485-1ede-4b03-84c2-dbd2af9055a9
  • or a goalie glitch through the post on a faceoff win

http://xboxclips.com/kschepis/52437daf-7953-46ec-999a-c80a7be5e2e8
  • scrubes wrote: »
    or a goalie glitch through the post on a faceoff win

This one is insane. It's bad enough when you win the faceoff back to your goalie in your own zone and he lets it bounce off his pads or, even worse, lets it go through his pads. But in this case, he backs away, through the post, to let the puck into the net.

Bmh245 wrote: »
    Sometimes I think EA does this, so goals get scored

2wnp72q.jpg

Setting aside the fact that the puck would never fit through that little space beneath Pavelec's pads, these two clips show completely different things. Pavelec's space is created by being in butterfly, which angles the pads up. In the game clip, the puck goes underneath the end of the pad, which is somehow miraculously off the ground.

Nothing about the goalie's reaction in the game clip make sense. He semi-drops to butterly, but then doesn't use his stick to block the 5-hole. He has the shot covered with his right pad if he does what Pavelec does, but instead he sort of waves at it with his stick and lowers his pads in the middle, even though the shot is to his outside. Just a complete joke, and yet another example of the game arbitrarily gifting one team a goal.

In that photo his right pad is off the ice because it is actually resting on his stick blade. For the last 4 years or so, goalie pads are perfectly flush to the ice when in butterfly. They are designed that way.

Interesting. Makes those goals you see in this game even sillier.

Yup.

Here's an example of how slightly older pads would rise up near the 5 hole:

cristobal-huet-butterfly-washington1.jpg

And here is an example of newer pads, which offer a flush surface:

montreal-que-september-25-2015-montreal-canadiens-goal.jpeg?quality=55&strip=all&w=840&h=630&crop=1

IRL, pads can bounce slightly off the ice on impact when dropping into the butterfly. It bounces up and comes right back down in 1 second, maybe. Of course, in the game, all goalies have perfect butterflies so this is not supposed to be an issue. Maybe EA programmed it in, but I find that to be exceedingly unlikely.
  • Positioning of the legs showing in the picture of the pads are closer in one picture than the other. Pads are the same. No difference!
    scrubes wrote: »
    or a goalie glitch through the post on a faceoff win

This one is insane. It's bad enough when you win the faceoff back to your goalie in your own zone and he lets it bounce off his pads or, even worse, lets it go through his pads. But in this case, he backs away, through the post, to let the puck into the net.

That's sad and I had that happen to me too....
  • Positioning of the legs showing in the picture of the pads are closer in one picture than the other. Pads are the same. No difference!

Sorry to disappoint you bud, but there is a HUGE difference. I had the same pads as the Washington goalie and have since switched the the Premiere IV model (which is the same as CCM btw). They are VERY different.
  • ColonScoper
    157 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    v1pads001.jpg.html

Mega is correct. Goalie pads are constantly evolving. A tapered thigh rise was a thing in the past but not anymore. Same with round vs square toe. You may still see goalies with a round toe or a partially rounded toe now but yeah.

These older style velos show the tapered thigh rise pretty well. It's more of a stand-up style of pad that nobody really uses anymore. Pros anyway

If that picture isn't working for anyone else they can be seen here if you were curious

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/rsgdodge/media/Velos For Sale/v1pads007.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
  • v1pads001.jpg.html

Mega is correct. Goalie pads are constantly evolving. A tapered thigh rise was a thing in the past but not anymore. Same with round vs square toe. You may still see goalies with a round toe or a partially rounded toe now but yeah.

These older style velos show the tapered thigh rise pretty well. It's more of a stand-up style of pad that nobody really uses anymore. Pros anyway.

Yup.

More examples:

From around 2012- 2013 era:

Roberto_Luongo_02-209.jpg

And from 2014-2016 era:

CCM-Premier-Goal-0159.jpg

0.jpg

Can't be more flush to the ice than that.

• Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    EA needs to address this, this is my biggest issue with this game, the guy dipsy doddling around for the first 10 seconds is a joke

This is one of the rare times I completely agree with you, puck carrier agility needs a nerf or at least better stick on stick or stick on legs collision so that they lose the puck pulling off this cheese.

I can't believe the guy thinks thats a possible goal of the year, it was terrible.

It doesn't need to be nerfed though. They need to fix what ever has been plaguing online play for the last 3 or so years. The developers know the same as anyone that has a clue that the game does not play fair online. The guy with the puck was not experiencing any kind of input lag whatsoever while the other side obviously was. I have been on the winning and losing ends of this exact **** way too many times to remember - too many times to even bother playing eashl anymore. If it's not input lag, then IMO it's even worse and the garbage comeback momentum/ice tilt that they deny. In those situations it's time to just quit the game!

I believe there is some kind of ice tilt in the game as well but in this instance, in my opinion, it's just bad defense combined with bad physics and the jerky/twitchy deking style that makes it very hard to get a poke or hit on someone. Once stick lifts are back this type of play won't be seen nearly as much.

Also in that video it was a human goalie that didn't even budge when he went back hand with the puck. So 5 players taking runs and missing mixed with a slow reacting goalie doesn't seem ice tilty to me. If even one of those players played good defensively and backskated while staying square he never would of made it to even the hashmarks. Way too aggressive on defense.

Like I said, bad physics, bad D, bad goalie.
  • I think this is a bit stretching the plausible:

Kopitar sure is flying out there.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I think this is a bit stretching the plausible:

Kopitar sure is flying out there.

nice lol
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • mattyhockey10
    67 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    EA needs to address this, this is my biggest issue with this game, the guy dipsy doddling around for the first 10 seconds is a joke

This is one of the rare times I completely agree with you, puck carrier agility needs a nerf or at least better stick on stick or stick on legs collision so that they lose the puck pulling off this cheese.

I can't believe the guy thinks thats a possible goal of the year, it was terrible.

It doesn't need to be nerfed though. They need to fix what ever has been plaguing online play for the last 3 or so years. The developers know the same as anyone that has a clue that the game does not play fair online. The guy with the puck was not experiencing any kind of input lag whatsoever while the other side obviously was. I have been on the winning and losing ends of this exact **** way too many times to remember - too many times to even bother playing eashl anymore. If it's not input lag, then IMO it's even worse and the garbage comeback momentum/ice tilt that they deny. In those situations it's time to just quit the game!

I believe there is some kind of ice tilt in the game as well but in this instance, in my opinion, it's just bad defense combined with bad physics and the jerky/twitchy deking style that makes it very hard to get a poke or hit on someone. Once stick lifts are back this type of play won't be seen nearly as much.

Also in that video it was a human goalie that didn't even budge when he went back hand with the puck. So 5 players taking runs and missing mixed with a slow reacting goalie doesn't seem ice tilty to me. If even one of those players played good defensively and backskated while staying square he never would of made it to even the hashmarks. Way too aggressive on defense.

Like I said, bad physics, bad D, bad goalie.

Well like I said, I think it is something to do with lag. I take it you're one of the people that has not experienced input delay? Imagine you see he's going one way and it takes you a second longer than your opponent to go that direction. That's enough time for someone that doesn't blow to then start moving the other way. IMO that is why the twitchy wiggle issue is so obvious this year. Someone with a good connection can just twitch & wiggle all the way up the ice because their connection is better than yours. Eventually even if you're as patient as you can be, you do end up in your zone with them having a scoring chance hoping the game decides it's going to just hit your d man.

It's hard not to feel superior for some in this series when you're up against someone that has a poor connection - especially when half of the people don't even realize they have a poor connection (blows my mind). I played EASHL with 5 friends and 3 of us decided we can't bother with this series anymore because of input delay. Two of the players said there was no input delay and that we should continue. We went to their house to see for ourselves... Of course like we thought, there was a 2 second delay when you tried to skate side to side and for whatever reason mentally they actually did not have the ability to detect that!

I just mentioned the ice tilt / momentum in case you're the type to argue that there is no input lag, then IMO it is obviously a code issue. The one guy tried to just run him from behind at one point and from what I can see, it looks like he should have been paralyzed ;) I agree the defense was not the greatest, but I did see moments where it was obvious there was nothing they could do even if they did just square up and be patient. I think I have either played this series too long or you haven't played enough that you see this as just a poor defensive effort.