EA Forums - Banner

General tips on how not to be awful in this game?

yeah I'm terrible rn don't know if it's bad luck but I've been out scored 14-1 in my past 3 hut games, I can't generate any good chances and I can't hit anyone for some reason any tips on how I can just not suck

Replies

• Try playing a mode with position lock online. Like Drop-In. Go in there to brush up on your individual skills. Play both offense and defense on seperate occasions. Pick a role to play on the ice and focus on fulfilling your role. Doesn't matter if you win, just focus on you yourself not making any mistakes. If you want to be a sniper, score some goals, if you want to be a playmaker work on making quick, yet smart passes and try to set your team up. If you want to be an enforcer defenseman, focus on hitting BUT DON'T TAKE RUNS AT PEOPLE. If you want to play shut down D focus on always being in proper position and don't lose 1 on 1 match ups on a rush. Force the guys to pass.

Then once you feel like your game is well rounded go back in to playing those other modes
  • Try playing a mode with position lock online. Like Drop-In. Go in there to brush up on your individual skills. Play both offense and defense on seperate occasions. Pick a role to play on the ice and focus on fulfilling your role. Doesn't matter if you win, just focus on you yourself not making any mistakes. If you want to be a sniper, score some goals, if you want to be a playmaker work on making quick, yet smart passes and try to set your team up. If you want to be an enforcer defenseman, focus on hitting BUT DON'T TAKE RUNS AT PEOPLE. If you want to play shut down D focus on always being in proper position and don't lose 1 on 1 match ups on a rush. Force the guys to pass.

Then once you feel like your game is well rounded go back in to playing those other modes

Honestly... this. I found that playing EASHL for a while made me more understanding of the game in general. And when I switched to OVP I was quicker and saw cycle-plays before or as they were developing by the AI. You see a wide variety of what kinds of shots beat an AI goalie more often in EASHL as well. OP this is pretty damned good advice.
  • Dont hit your goalie, and stay out of his crease.
  • Here is a playlist of videos that you can use to up your game, every aspect of NHL is covered (from gameplay mechanics, to menus, to the auctionhouse in HUT):