EA Forums - Banner

(drop-in/club)Nobody plays defense.. because it sucks

Replies

• Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Double post.

• If you want to be a physical presence, enforcer defenseman feels very useful this year. Try it out sometime. I've enjoyed it so much that I'm starting to lean toward it being the best defenseman build in the game. I'm not kidding.

Why would you choose Enforcer when the Defensive D Man is just as good for checking?? They literally both have the same checking attributes...

Checking sure doesn't feel the same in actual games and that appears to be due to the increase in size of the Enforcer Dman. I don't give a **** about what the attributes say.

I have used both and found them to check just as hard. On the other hand, the Enforcer **** at everything else which is why I do not use him. I only use him if I know I will be fighting, which is rare.

It's the fighting rating he likes I think :D:D:D:D:D

Na. It's the physicality of the hits. He can knock around those power forwards and grinders better than a DFD can, in my opinion. It's more useful this year since hits and bumping the puck carrier work quite a bit better than in 16.

Makes sense, I was just having fun anyway. But I assume you lose a little offensive skill when you use the enforcer role. Which in the EASHL does not matter that much.

You definitely lose some offensive skill but I'm generally not concerned about that, especially in club EASHL moreso than drops. The accuracy is bad but it's also bad when I play DFD. My forwards are there for rebounds and deflections anyway, so whatever.

The puck control is worse than DFD but not enough for me to make a huge fuss over it, and I think passing attributes don't matter much so that does not bother me as well. I just find that as DFD, my defensive tools are poke check and some hitting, depending on what player type I'm going up against, and that as EFD, my defensive tools are poke checking and much improved hitting.

Believe me when I say I am a poke first defenseman. Hits put you out of position far too often but sometimes you need to be able to do it, and I think the EFD does it the best. Any build can line a guy up, but EFD can give guys smaller bumps and nudges more effectively than DFD.

People can be smartasses on here all they want and talk down to me, but I've been playing this game as a Dman for long enough to know what I'm talking about. The arrogance of other posters hinting that I don't know what I'm saying can be annoying, but whatever. I know that I know and that's all that matters. Just trying to share my knowledge, experience and opinions as a long time Dman.

EFD is a beast in the corners and behind the net against the boards as well. Doesn't get bullied around and comes up with the puck in those situations more often than not.

Been playing only D for years and enjoy everything you're writing.
  • Nope, besides the stick lift being garbage, the def is great in this game.

Maybe no one plays def because you tryhard forwards don't pass to the point?

Passing to the point is great, for everyone. Just as long as the def can handle mr. breakaway coming at him.
  • Enforcer D was the build I wanted to be able to use when I started playing with the stock builds in NHL16 but being great at one thing and bad at everything else makes it not worth it for me. If the enforcer D had a decent defensive stick, or could pick off passes I'd use it over the defensive D but it's bad at those things too. You have the reach which is great if you can master it but to me the DFD is clearly the better choice. I hear what you're saying about being able to deliver a small push or nudge being crucial. So far the DFD has been decent for that. In the end the poor defensive tools (besides hitting) led me to actually hit less with the Enforcer because I played a more tentative defensive game overall. The fact that I'm confident with the stick check helps me put more pressure on the puck carrier and when they totally focus on guarding against getting poked that's the perfect time to go for a hit or bump.
    PSN : GordonRamsey
    Club : Midnight Express
  • If you want to be a physical presence, enforcer defenseman feels very useful this year. Try it out sometime. I've enjoyed it so much that I'm starting to lean toward it being the best defenseman build in the game. I'm not kidding.

Why would you choose Enforcer when the Defensive D Man is just as good for checking?? They literally both have the same checking attributes...

Checking sure doesn't feel the same in actual games and that appears to be due to the increase in size of the Enforcer Dman. I don't give a **** about what the attributes say.

I have used both and found them to check just as hard. On the other hand, the Enforcer **** at everything else which is why I do not use him. I only use him if I know I will be fighting, which is rare.

It's the fighting rating he likes I think :D:D:D:D:D

Na. It's the physicality of the hits. He can knock around those power forwards and grinders better than a DFD can, in my opinion. It's more useful this year since hits and bumping the puck carrier work quite a bit better than in 16.

Makes sense, I was just having fun anyway. But I assume you lose a little offensive skill when you use the enforcer role. Which in the EASHL does not matter that much.

You definitely lose some offensive skill but I'm generally not concerned about that, especially in club EASHL moreso than drops. The accuracy is bad but it's also bad when I play DFD. My forwards are there for rebounds and deflections anyway, so whatever.

The puck control is worse than DFD but not enough for me to make a huge fuss over it, and I think passing attributes don't matter much so that does not bother me as well. I just find that as DFD, my defensive tools are poke check and some hitting, depending on what player type I'm going up against, and that as EFD, my defensive tools are poke checking and much improved hitting.

Believe me when I say I am a poke first defenseman. Hits put you out of position far too often but sometimes you need to be able to do it, and I think the EFD does it the best. Any build can line a guy up, but EFD can give guys smaller bumps and nudges more effectively than DFD.

People can be smartasses on here all they want and talk down to me, but I've been playing this game as a Dman for long enough to know what I'm talking about. The arrogance of other posters hinting that I don't know what I'm saying can be annoying, but whatever. I know that I know and that's all that matters. Just trying to share my knowledge, experience and opinions as a long time Dman.

EFD is a beast in the corners and behind the net against the boards as well. Doesn't get bullied around and comes up with the puck in those situations more often than not.

Been playing only D for years and enjoy everything you're writing.

Glad to hear it, at least someone enjoys my opinions and attempts at helping the conversation.

I've seen your posts and you're a nice voice of reason around here as well.

XB1 or PS4 (I'm on PS4)... I could use a good d-partner in club... :smile: Not everyone is always available and we really only have 1 other guy who plays with me when we're playing club.
  • I only play D and really enjoy it this year despite stick lift still being broken.

Yup. Same here
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • I play EASHL and sad to say, tired of having the game completely offensive-minded. That's all it is. Offense, offense, offense. Everything else, well, do what you can bud, cause offense will always have the upper hand. Only been that way for what, 6 years now?
    I still maintain that playing D this year - while still not without its warts - is markedly better than the past couple.
  • FudgeoX wrote: »
    How do you guys figure defense is easier this year? I can't even cleanly poke check a guy skating straight into my stick anymore. I used to angle players off, poke once and get the puck every time.

You're clearly doing something wrong.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    I play EASHL and sad to say, tired of having the game completely offensive-minded. That's all it is. Offense, offense, offense. Everything else, well, do what you can bud, cause offense will always have the upper hand. Only been that way for what, 6 years now?
    I still maintain that playing D this year - while still not without its warts - is markedly better than the past couple.

I agree it is better than last few years, but it still is way behind offense. To be honest, it really didn't take much to make it better considering how bad it was.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    I play EASHL and sad to say, tired of having the game completely offensive-minded. That's all it is. Offense, offense, offense. Everything else, well, do what you can bud, cause offense will always have the upper hand. Only been that way for what, 6 years now?

I agree it is better than last few years, but it still is way behind offense. To be honest, it really didn't take much to make it better considering how bad it was.

This. The root of frustration for me is the inability to control the play on the ice from the back end. They've made it much more difficult to quarterback a cycle game from the point because of the skating and nerfed shooting. Trying to square up to someone is a chore and knocking someone off the puck takes an act of congress. You poke the puck away from someone and they get it right back or it goes directly to a teammate. The puck physics feel fundamentally different than last year.
  • MooseHunter10
    403 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Defense is so far behind the Offense in terms of control and abilities.

This isnt just about popularity of forwards in drop ins, but even 3 on 3 eashl in the top 100 is ALWAYS 3 forwards. I'd like the option to play 2 forwards and 1 D, but its a handicap, and no one in the top 100 is taking on handicaps.

AI D dont have to charge passes, and get instant puck pickups. Just need the 3rd forward playing high and you get the best of all worlds.
    EASHL player
  • I use Enf D, has the longest range(best poke) Biggest (Bigger hits), Strongest (less momentum required for hits), Durability (shot blocking).

And im most familiar with his movements, been playing with Enf since '13, 14 cant remember.
  • FudgeoX wrote: »
    How do you guys figure defense is easier this year? I can't even cleanly poke check a guy skating straight into my stick anymore. I used to angle players off, poke once and get the puck every time. If I take away the middle off the rush, give him the boards and then charge as hard and fast as I can into him he just absorbs the hit and often will GAIN forward momentum leading to him getting behind me.

That does happen more often then it should.

• The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    FudgeoX wrote: »
    How do you guys figure defense is easier this year? I can't even cleanly poke check a guy skating straight into my stick anymore. I used to angle players off, poke once and get the puck every time. If I take away the middle off the rush, give him the boards and then charge as hard and fast as I can into him he just absorbs the hit and often will GAIN forward momentum leading to him getting behind me.

This is why I started using the enforcer dman, his stats are the same as the defensive dman for hitting but he has a lot more size and weight, it makes hitting easier and stronger.

I don't find his poke checking or any other attribute much different than defensive d either, they look a lot different on the class sheet but I can barely notice any negative difference while playing.
  • Defense sucks for scrubs like the OP that don;t know how to play.
  • ColonScoper
    157 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Defense **** for scrubs like the OP that don;t know how to play.

Or it may have something to do with the broken stick lift, and how little control the defense has in terms of their pivots and facing, and the inability to move laterally.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »

This is why I started using the enforcer dman, his stats are the same as the defensive dman for hitting but he has a lot more size and weight, it makes hitting easier and stronger.

I don't find his poke checking or any other attribute much different than defensive d either, they look a lot different on the class sheet but I can barely notice any negative difference while playing.

Why do you people feel the ENF is such a powerhouse compared to DEF D? We are talking about 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier. Not a huge difference at all.
  • Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    It's actually a worse build this year considering it's slower and the slower d men go the less options they have when in comes to interacting with the puck carrier. Tying up in front of the net only works when it wants to, stick lift doesn't work right so you can't use it to prevent the one time and since he's slower it takes longer to recover from animations. I only play as an enf d man and one of my buddies who i've played nhl with for years only a dfd and the difference is very noticeable. Dfd takes the cake this year cept' having the high defense means nothing when it's all about stick attributes.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »

Why do you people feel the ENF is such a powerhouse compared to DEF D? We are talking about 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier. Not a huge difference at all.

Not sure, I notice a difference though, I play him just like my defensive dman, his poking and passing feel about the same. Try it out, I used to say the same as you, no point in taking him over def dman but thats just on paper. He's not bad at all.
  • another problem is the game is so inconsistent when it comes to pokechecking. Last night i played a game, and since i decided to start counting, i succesfully poke checked (having the puck come loose after hitting rb) 22 times except the carrier picked the puck right back up. I couldnt believe it. I was clearly "knocking the puck loose" but since the way the poke check actually activates, it kept pushing the puck towards me and in front of the carrier which just allowed him to pick it up again.