EA Forums - Banner

Zone breakout

Whenever I get the puck deep and try to find a pass down the ice all of my forwards skate pretty much to the back boards and take forever to start skating up the ice. When they finally do decide to skate up ice they just clump in the middle and no one goes to the boards. Is there a reason this is happening? Do I need to edit some setting to fix it? It's very frustrating

Replies

• Adjust your strategies, in game your d-pad, up/down and then RB,LB for breakout formation

Or in the pregame lobbies
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Adjust your strategies, in game your d-pad, up/down and then RB,LB for breakout formation

Or in the pregame lobbies

That's not an answer, COGs. What he wants to know is what should he adjust his strategies to, in order to get his forwards to actually break out the way they should?

I don't think anyone has a good answer, OP. I've played way too many new-gen games, experimented with all the breakout settings, and still don't know how to get my AI players to consistently break out. Even when you use "leave early" and are on aggressive or full attack (which aren't even breakout settings, in any case), your AI teammates will still often pull up at your own blue line, even when they have plenty of open space ahead of them, or if they're out of the zone, they'll skate back into it looking for a pass.

There is the occasional time when a winger will go long, looking for the stretch pass, but there's no obvious cue that makes him do so. And of course there's no game guide where the devs explain how the strategies work.
  • I don't understand the inconsistency regarding this problem either. Some games the AI seem fine and others I can't make a pass because ALL of my skaters decide to come back towards or even BEHIND me where there is NOBODY up ice and no passes available, unless I pass behind me.
  • The AI is so unfinished in this game it's... well, it's routine with this title.

My favorite "breakout" is the powerplay breakout where all 5 skaters are supposed to "come back". When playing against the AI, they have no idea how to use it. One forward takes the puck and jets up ice with no support. He just keeps skating hard and a little poke check breaks up that play. That's actually one of the only times a poke check doesn't go directly to a teammate.

I think the reason there is no explanations, is because it wouldn't make sense to explain something that doesn't work properly. 1. you'll confuse people. 2. you'll expose a weakness, thus admitting the game does not work properly, thus people telling you your game is garbage and they want their money back.

I mean, if it's true that "casuals" are the majority, then the aspect of "teaching them the game" falls really short. The on ice trainer is good, but for an average gamer to put together why you're doing what the trainer is telling you to do, is a leap.
  • They really need to bring back the create a play. This solves all that. But to the op, try the wide option on breakout and blue to blue. I play a lot of passes up the boards. I find these options tolerable at least.
  • I think some people fail to realize also is what the opposing teams forecheck/aggression settings are at. Certain breakouts work better against certain forechecks, and the AI reacts differently depending on the situations. I am not going to give it all away here but do a little experimenting and you will see what I mean.
  • goat1313 wrote: »
    They really need to bring back the create a play. This solves all that. But to the op, try the wide option on breakout and blue to blue. I play a lot of passes up the boards. I find these options tolerable at least.

Create a play was a failure in terms of exploits and was a reason why it was scrapped.
  • goat1313 wrote: »
    They really need to bring back the create a play. This solves all that. But to the op, try the wide option on breakout and blue to blue. I play a lot of passes up the boards. I find these options tolerable at least.

Create a play was a failure in terms of exploits and was a reason why it was scrapped.

It was not a failure in terms of exploits, and that is not why it was scrapped. It worked beautifully, both in setting up breakouts and in telling your players where to go on the rush. It was scrapped because not enough people used it, which is a ridiculous reason to get rid of such a valuable tool.

• I think some people fail to realize also is what the opposing teams forecheck/aggression settings are at. Certain breakouts work better against certain forechecks, and the AI reacts differently depending on the situations.

Is this true, or are you imagining it? Who knows? Regardless, it shouldn't be true that how the AI implements my breakout strategies should change depending on what the forecheck settings are. I'm the one who should be adapting to what my opponent is doing, or not. The AI should just do exactly what I'm telling it do, every single time.

• I could have sworn that at least in the older games that full attack meant that the ai forwards would be ready for the breakout pass higher in the zone and wouldn't come down low, but I could be wrong. I don't know if the ai changes its behavior based on the defensive settings but obviously different breakouts work for different situations.

I really wish you could tell individual ai how to behave tbh. And I wish you could save your strategies so that if you prefer to start a game off a certain way, you could do that more easily. I think EA could easily get more in depth with all of these settings
  • What really annoys me, and maybe someone has a tip, but when my forwards are constantly skating back into my zone on the breakout regardless of my settings. When I pass to a winger he's coming at my defender then has to slow down, stop and change direction giving my opponent just enough time to steal the puck and most likely score. It's very frustrating.