EA Forums - Banner

Does Anyone of Importance Read These?

This game is hot garbage, and before I go into a million details on all of the broken aspects of it, I'd like to know if there's anyone here who can read this and actually do something about it. If not, it's not worth the time. EA doesn't care about much other than the money they got from our pockets, but if they'd like to prove me wrong and actually listen to some criticism I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Replies

• We're told they read the forums, but they never reply so who knows.
  • Nice statement. Do you know anyone who works at EA to back up your b*llsh*t?
  • Nice statement. Do you know anyone who works at EA to back up your b*llsh*t?

Who you talking to?
  • Well, on the off chance they do read these, maybe they can get something from this.

First, I'd just like to clarify some things. I'm not much of a complainer. I'm an easily entertained person, and I'd much rather find the positives in things than nitpick about details that don't make too much of a difference. While most people these days just spend time ripping apart games, I'm enjoying them. I play Madden a ton and love it. Sure, there's problems, but overall it's a great game, and I've found that I enjoy them every year. I also play a healthy bit of Destiny. Again, love it. Assassin's Creed? All about the series (minus Unity... game was just awful). So before I'm labeled as someone that isn't ever satisfied, it isn't the case.

Now onto the task at hand. NHL17. Wow. I'll start by saying that growing up, I played NHL games endlessly. From NHL 99 and on, I was flat out HOOKED. No game series has ever come close to taking up chunks of my time like NHL has, and when I look back, nothing beats my days of NHL franchise modes and tournaments with friends. My favorite game experience to date was EASHL on NHL09. My gosh, that was stellar. I've never had so much fun playing any games as I did that one. As I've gotten older priorities have switched and I've gained responsibilities, leaving me as a much more casual player when it comes to games. NHL09 was the last time that I have REALLY devoted time into a game. I loved it and had no problems admitting that. NHL 10, 11, and 12 I enjoyed as well, despite having less and less time to play them. I couldn't stand NHL 13, once they brought the new skating engines in I just couldn't stand it. That coupled with not having much time I just never played it. I got NHL14 after the year off and again really enjoyed that game, and while I was still pretty casual, I put more time into it than I did any of 10, 11, or 12.

Then came the next gen consoles. I got my PS4 and was STOKED about NHL15. I had heard a bunch of good things and was excited for what hockey could be like on these new consoles. While 15 wasn't exactly the incredible experience I was hoping for thanks to a painfully dull amount of game modes, it was still something to build upon. I took solace in that fact and kept reminding myself that they needed to basically build the game from scratch. I figured this was a nice teaser (an expensive one... but whatever) and that EA could really put together a quality game in the future. NHL16 came and, well.... very underwhelmed. The game had extra game modes but was just really low quality. I had so many issues with it that I never bought it and decided to sit that game out as well. The long wait for 17 came and went, and I decided to get it opening weekend without giving it much of a test run.

That takes us to now. My goodness, the game is just terrible. At first I chalked up the issues to me being new and having to acclimate. I kept playing and playing, yet the more I played to try and convince myself that I would come around on it the more I realized that the issues weren't me, it's this game. I mean, come on, EA... does this really feel like hockey to you? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and pray that none of you ever actually played hockey. Personally, I played competitive ice hockey my whole life. It's been my bread and butter from age 5, so I've always known that I'm coming at video games from a different perspective. However, even with that in mind, this resembles nothing that I've ever seen before. The closest this game is to hockey is roller hockey. Let me explain and lay out all of the issues I have with this:

First, and absolutely foremost... why is skating absolutely terrible? Seriously, has anyone watched an NHL hockey game before at EA? When you watch a guy like Connor McDavid skate, does it really take him 5 strides just to get moving a little bit? These players in the game skate like they're on concrete. It's unfathomable to me that these players could be SO TERRIBLE at stopping and starting that you can't make any movements anywhere in the ice without a 5 second warm up to where you want to go. Why can't I go anywhere? Why can't anyone go anywhere?

Next... passing? What is this nonsense? I can honestly tell you from hockey playing experience that passing is probably the easiest skill to possess in hockey. Now, don't mix my words, I'm not talking about ridiculous sauce passes that travel over three sticks and in between two pairs of skates to land on your teammate's tape, but I mean a SIMPLE OUTLET PASS. Why can't these players do it? Second, why do I have to charge up passes? Ask any hockey player, you NEVER have to charge up a pass. You put more meat on it, sure, but you don't sit there and wind up your pass for a few seconds before letting it go. This simple, SIMPLE task is just a chore in NHL, and it's to the point where I've actually realized your better option to passing is to just skate. It sickens me that you see more defensemen carrying the puck the full sheet of ice simply because players are too scared that a pass will result in a turnover.

Now combining those issues, you get the atrocity that is offensive zone play. Going back to the roller hockey analogy, EA, what do you have against setting up in the offensive zone? It is nearly impossible to set up in the zone, cycle, and keep possession of the puck to set up even a half decent scoring chance. Why, you might ask? Well, first, you can't pass to your freakin teammates. The amount of times I've passed to no one is unbelievable. Second, if by chance I do pass to the correct person, one of two things happens: 1. I receive the pass and my player's concrete feet allows someone to take it from me because I can't go anywhere or 2. My teammate just flat out misses the puck. Goes right through his legs, and then my favorite part... HE CAN'T PICK IT UP. So he just circles around and runs into the boards trying to pick up the dang puck. How? How is this possible?

Now defense.... Oh God defense is bad. First off, what is the point of the stick lift button? Absolutely worthless. You couldn't lift someone's stick if your life depended on it. It would be better off being labeled as the slash button, because that's the only event that comes from it other than getting turned around like a top. Then the poke check. What is the poke check? There's only three outcomes, with no consistency whatsoever to them. I'll either poke the puck clean off the guy's stick and it travels back into his defensive zone, I trip him, or he just SKATES RIGHT THROUGH IT. No telling when it's going to be. Most players I play against just mash the poke check button until one of the above three happens. Pitiful.

Lastly... who in the world programmed the AI in this game? Easily the most frustrating part of this game is trying to break out of your own zone. Why? Well, because my entire team all goes to one part of the ice and either runs into me or collides with each other. Has anyone here ever watched an NHL game where the players have no control over where they're going and look more like a pinball board than a sheet of ice? Because that's what this game is. Players randomly colliding and falling over and tripping over each other because "physics" or something. Then on top of that, I have players that make Dumb and Dumber look like Albert Einstein. Why is it that when I'm skating up the wing with a defenseman to start a play, the winger skates DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME?! What am I supposed to do with that? Move! This can't be that hard to program. I'm no programmer, but there's just no way it's that difficult, considering this was never in past games before the nonsense that was NHL15-16.

So yeah, that's that. I'm sure it's unlikely that anyone of importance reads this and it's even more unlikely anything is done about it, but at least I can say I tried. EA Sports, I'm tired of your nonsense. Something needs to seriously change with this product. You certainly won't be getting my money for NHL18, or any future NHL for that matter until some change is made. These games are just downright ridiculous.
  • Also... sorry for the unbelievably long post... I'm kind of a writer and don't exactly know how to keep things short.
  • I was talking to Fazz.

Fazz, I appreciate and respect your passion for the game, but disagree with your statement.

You cannot say that EA only cares about the money they got from your pockets. You have no proof of this and the statement is totally fabricated. As a person who works in this industry, and a previous EA employee, I can guarantee that the majority of the staff do care about the product they are making.

Secondly, the staff don't see any portion of the profits that the game generates. We get paid a set wage regardless of the games success so doing a bad job only equates to being unemployed. I don't know if you've ever been to the EA Burnaby facility but is one of the most comfortable work environments you'll ever experience. Not a place you want to get fired from!

Anyway, I'm going to unfriend you now. You'll clearly expressed your opinion on the game and stated that you won't be purchasing NHL 18. I assume that also means you won't be playing NHL 17 anymore or even visiting these forums? I'm trying to get a EASHL Club going of people who want to have fun and enjoy playing hockey, even with its flaws. Needless to say, you've clearly demonstrated your opinion. I'm not interested in playing with someone who will complain the entire time something doesn't go their way.

• Well, on the off chance they do read these, maybe they can get something from this.

First, I'd just like to clarify some things. I'm not much of a complainer. I'm an easily entertained person, and I'd much rather find the positives in things than nitpick about details that don't make too much of a difference. While most people these days just spend time ripping apart games, I'm enjoying them. I play Madden a ton and love it. Sure, there's problems, but overall it's a great game, and I've found that I enjoy them every year. I also play a healthy bit of Destiny. Again, love it. Assassin's Creed? All about the series (minus Unity... game was just awful). So before I'm labeled as someone that isn't ever satisfied, it isn't the case.

Now onto the task at hand. NHL17. Wow. I'll start by saying that growing up, I played NHL games endlessly. From NHL 99 and on, I was flat out HOOKED. No game series has ever come close to taking up chunks of my time like NHL has, and when I look back, nothing beats my days of NHL franchise modes and tournaments with friends. My favorite game experience to date was EASHL on NHL09. My gosh, that was stellar. I've never had so much fun playing any games as I did that one. As I've gotten older priorities have switched and I've gained responsibilities, leaving me as a much more casual player when it comes to games. NHL09 was the last time that I have REALLY devoted time into a game. I loved it and had no problems admitting that. NHL 10, 11, and 12 I enjoyed as well, despite having less and less time to play them. I couldn't stand NHL 13, once they brought the new skating engines in I just couldn't stand it. That coupled with not having much time I just never played it. I got NHL14 after the year off and again really enjoyed that game, and while I was still pretty casual, I put more time into it than I did any of 10, 11, or 12.

Then came the next gen consoles. I got my PS4 and was STOKED about NHL15. I had heard a bunch of good things and was excited for what hockey could be like on these new consoles. While 15 wasn't exactly the incredible experience I was hoping for thanks to a painfully dull amount of game modes, it was still something to build upon. I took solace in that fact and kept reminding myself that they needed to basically build the game from scratch. I figured this was a nice teaser (an expensive one... but whatever) and that EA could really put together a quality game in the future. NHL16 came and, well.... very underwhelmed. The game had extra game modes but was just really low quality. I had so many issues with it that I never bought it and decided to sit that game out as well. The long wait for 17 came and went, and I decided to get it opening weekend without giving it much of a test run.

That takes us to now. My goodness, the game is just terrible. At first I chalked up the issues to me being new and having to acclimate. I kept playing and playing, yet the more I played to try and convince myself that I would come around on it the more I realized that the issues weren't me, it's this game. I mean, come on, EA... does this really feel like hockey to you? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and pray that none of you ever actually played hockey. Personally, I played competitive ice hockey my whole life. It's been my bread and butter from age 5, so I've always known that I'm coming at video games from a different perspective. However, even with that in mind, this resembles nothing that I've ever seen before. The closest this game is to hockey is roller hockey. Let me explain and lay out all of the issues I have with this:

First, and absolutely foremost... why is skating absolutely terrible? Seriously, has anyone watched an NHL hockey game before at EA? When you watch a guy like Connor McDavid skate, does it really take him 5 strides just to get moving a little bit? These players in the game skate like they're on concrete. It's unfathomable to me that these players could be SO TERRIBLE at stopping and starting that you can't make any movements anywhere in the ice without a 5 second warm up to where you want to go. Why can't I go anywhere? Why can't anyone go anywhere?

Next... passing? What is this nonsense? I can honestly tell you from hockey playing experience that passing is probably the easiest skill to possess in hockey. Now, don't mix my words, I'm not talking about ridiculous sauce passes that travel over three sticks and in between two pairs of skates to land on your teammate's tape, but I mean a SIMPLE OUTLET PASS. Why can't these players do it? Second, why do I have to charge up passes? Ask any hockey player, you NEVER have to charge up a pass. You put more meat on it, sure, but you don't sit there and wind up your pass for a few seconds before letting it go. This simple, SIMPLE task is just a chore in NHL, and it's to the point where I've actually realized your better option to passing is to just skate. It sickens me that you see more defensemen carrying the puck the full sheet of ice simply because players are too scared that a pass will result in a turnover.

Now combining those issues, you get the atrocity that is offensive zone play. Going back to the roller hockey analogy, EA, what do you have against setting up in the offensive zone? It is nearly impossible to set up in the zone, cycle, and keep possession of the puck to set up even a half decent scoring chance. Why, you might ask? Well, first, you can't pass to your freakin teammates. The amount of times I've passed to no one is unbelievable. Second, if by chance I do pass to the correct person, one of two things happens: 1. I receive the pass and my player's concrete feet allows someone to take it from me because I can't go anywhere or 2. My teammate just flat out misses the puck. Goes right through his legs, and then my favorite part... HE CAN'T PICK IT UP. So he just circles around and runs into the boards trying to pick up the dang puck. How? How is this possible?

Now defense.... Oh God defense is bad. First off, what is the point of the stick lift button? Absolutely worthless. You couldn't lift someone's stick if your life depended on it. It would be better off being labeled as the slash button, because that's the only event that comes from it other than getting turned around like a top. Then the poke check. What is the poke check? There's only three outcomes, with no consistency whatsoever to them. I'll either poke the puck clean off the guy's stick and it travels back into his defensive zone, I trip him, or he just SKATES RIGHT THROUGH IT. No telling when it's going to be. Most players I play against just mash the poke check button until one of the above three happens. Pitiful.

Lastly... who in the world programmed the AI in this game? Easily the most frustrating part of this game is trying to break out of your own zone. Why? Well, because my entire team all goes to one part of the ice and either runs into me or collides with each other. Has anyone here ever watched an NHL game where the players have no control over where they're going and look more like a pinball board than a sheet of ice? Because that's what this game is. Players randomly colliding and falling over and tripping over each other because "physics" or something. Then on top of that, I have players that make Dumb and Dumber look like Albert Einstein. Why is it that when I'm skating up the wing with a defenseman to start a play, the winger skates DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME?! What am I supposed to do with that? Move! This can't be that hard to program. I'm no programmer, but there's just no way it's that difficult, considering this was never in past games before the nonsense that was NHL15-16.

So yeah, that's that. I'm sure it's unlikely that anyone of importance reads this and it's even more unlikely anything is done about it, but at least I can say I tried. EA Sports, I'm tired of your nonsense. Something needs to seriously change with this product. You certainly won't be getting my money for NHL18, or any future NHL for that matter until some change is made. These games are just downright ridiculous.

Good analysis. I agree with all of it.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    skating- Im sure you are aware that sprinting increases the rate in which you accelerate, but makes you tired the more you use it. Its best to conserve momentum, but you cant do it if your team sucks at passing.

Passing-thats a teammate issue, not gameplay.

AI-I agree with sometimes its a **** moment.

Stick lift is known so I left it alone.

• skating- Im sure you are aware that sprinting increases the rate in which you accelerate, but makes you tired the more you use it. Its best to conserve momentum, but you cant do it if your team **** at passing.

Passing-thats a teammate issue, not gameplay. i've done one tap passes that have more then enough juice for icing.

AI-I agree with sometimes its a **** moment.

Stick lift is known so I left it alone.

• I was talking to Fazz.

Fazz, I appreciate and respect your passion for the game, but disagree with your statement.

You cannot say that EA only cares about the money they got from your pockets. You have no proof of this and the statement is totally fabricated. As a person who works in this industry, and a previous EA employee, I can guarantee that the majority of the staff do care about the product they are making.

Secondly, the staff don't see any portion of the profits that the game generates. We get paid a set wage regardless of the games success so doing a bad job only equates to being unemployed. I don't know if you've ever been to the EA Burnaby facility but is one of the most comfortable work environments you'll ever experience. Not a place you want to get fired from!

Anyway, I'm going to unfriend you now. You'll clearly expressed your opinion on the game and stated that you won't be purchasing NHL 18. I assume that also means you won't be playing NHL 17 anymore or even visiting these forums? I'm trying to get a EASHL Club going of people who want to have fun and enjoy playing hockey, even with its flaws. Needless to say, you've clearly demonstrated your opinion. I'm not interested in playing with someone who will complain the entire time something doesn't go their way.

Maybe he meant EA only cares about money. Maybe he did not mean the devs did not care. If EA really cared, I think it would show in the product. They would up the budget and get more manpower on the NHL series. But why should they when even if the majority hate the game, or not, they still make money? HUT alone will keep the boat afloat for years to come.

The point is, let's say NHL gets a budget of 5 million. Would sales be alot higher if the budget were jacked up to 20 million? Or even just 10? Highly unlikely. Would probably take a span of 2 or 3 releases to get alot more buyers back into the series. So, why spend the extra money?
  • I was talking to Fazz.

Sorry you took such personal offense to this. For the record, Megadeath was spot on in his reply to what I was saying.

As far as the unfriending... Okay? That's definitely an odd statement seeing that you've never played with me. I'll still play the game and in no way do I "just complain the entire time" but I guess you wouldn't know that?

Maybe I misinterpreted what the point of forums was. Last I checked, it was a place to discuss and talk about the game. These are my thoughts on it. Hopefully some one at EA sees them and uses them as a possible basis for what to fix in later installments.
  • Well if EA only cares about money, money they shall not receive from me, until they fix this broken game.
  • Maybe he meant EA only cares about money. Maybe he did not mean the devs did not care. If EA really cared, I think it would show in the product. They would up the budget and get more manpower on the NHL series. But why should they when even if the majority hate the game, or not, they still make money? HUT alone will keep the boat afloat for years to come.

The point is, let's say NHL gets a budget of 5 million. Would sales be alot higher if the budget were jacked up to 20 million? Or even just 10? Highly unlikely. Would probably take a span of 2 or 3 releases to get alot more buyers back into the series. So, why spend the extra money?

This. I've said this for a couple of years, the development of EA sports games has slowed down since UT was introduced. There hasn't been any major innovations in the NHL series (in gameplay nor in game modes) since GM Connected and TPS. GMC was deemed as a waste of time and effort and TPS is still a buggy mess.

It's way too easy for them to keep UT decently updated and rely that mouthbreathers will dump money on packs. It's pretty funny that UT is the only mode that has worked in every current gen NHL while all the other modes were near unplayable for two years.
  • Day 35 since the Game was released, and still no Patch Update.

Over/Under Prediction:

I say by Day 60 .
  • rmh-1974 wrote: »
    Day 35 since the Game was released, and still no Patch Update.

Over/Under Prediction:

I say by Day 60 .

Maybe it takes time to do something right? I'd rather get a patch later if it means it takes care of most of the problems than getting a patch today that fixes basically nothing.

Patience...
  • ColonScoper
    157 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Battlefield 1 drops tonight. New Red Dead game announced. Red Dead Redemption is in my top 5 games I've ever played. The only video game story I actually got invested in. Can't wait.

RIP NHL.
  • I find is extremely amsuing that the fix that they put in for NHL with the tripping from the poke checks in NHL 16 was updated pretty much within 2 days from all the complaining yet the stick lift issue is still here. I just want to know if the devs/ea even cared that the stick lift didn't work when the game was released, it's not like something like that wasn't 100% obvious.
  • Your comments KoryDub, was pretty much the point I was trying to make on my OP in this thread.

A lot of speculation and hearsay. If you don't know anyone who works at EA who can back up your comments, don't comment.
  • Hotjoint wrote: »
    I find is extremely amsuing that the fix that they put in for NHL with the tripping from the poke checks in NHL 16 was updated pretty much within 2 days from all the complaining yet the stick lift issue is still here. I just want to know if the devs/ea even cared that the stick lift didn't work when the game was released, it's not like something like that wasn't 100% obvious.

This is a great point. How did they implement that tripping fix last year so quickly yet they haven't been able to do a thing about stick lifts yet?
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    Hotjoint wrote: »
    I find is extremely amsuing that the fix that they put in for NHL with the tripping from the poke checks in NHL 16 was updated pretty much within 2 days from all the complaining yet the stick lift issue is still here. I just want to know if the devs/ea even cared that the stick lift didn't work when the game was released, it's not like something like that wasn't 100% obvious.

This is a great point. How did they implement that tripping fix last year so quickly yet they haven't been able to do a thing about stick lifts yet?

Pretty sure the tripping fix was just a slider adjustment. They had tweaked the slider to increase the likelihood of a tripping penalty when a stick went into someone's skates, and then they reverted it. The stick-lift problem doesn't seem like just a slider problem (which would have to do with stick-lift effectiveness). It seems like a major collision-detection problem.