EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

This game died real quick

Prev1345
EASHL is the only thing that's still fairly active. Pretty sad how far this game has fallen from last gen.

Replies

• sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    Miss the old days of NHL 09, 10, 11, and 12... Those were the glory days, huge NHL community, very active, tons of EASHL teams, the game was the most fun game of any in our library.

Wheels fell off on NHL 13 and has been downhill ever since, it may have gotten more real/sim, but the fun factor has been drained out of the game, its a chore to play, frustrating, not as much fun any more.
  • Funny party is its EA killing there own series, I'd say since 14 my games played has significantly dropped every year.

• Merc572 wrote: »
    Funny party is its EA killing there own series, I'd say since 14 my games played has significantly dropped every year.

I agree.. this will be my last year until i see that the community is actually happy with the game. I know i´ve said it before, but this.... this game takes ti a whole different level of crappyness.

I regret buying it.. Thats for sure, and its not even November yet.
  • jshuttlesworth29
    104 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't hate this game as much as last years. That being said...11,12 were much better. They took the manual skill out of the game so the scrubs could hang around. My club has adjusted and we're winning at about a 90% clip now, but the crisp fluidity of the game is gone. Cycles are slower because your player bobbles the puck while facing the passer. The poke check is a crap shoot. I'm against spamming. I literally just face guard cause the puck gets caught in my legs until I gain possession, retreat and reset. That's not hockey... it's compensating for how the game rewards you for playing.

Tons of issues, but until the skating engine is reverted back to the old system, the game just isn't as fun. There's no way they have the active users that they did in NHL12. They don't even respond to the videos and issues presented on the forums. Tell us if a patch is coming, what's being patched, etc..... this wait and see **** is terrible customer service.
  • Sadly there is no other hockey game.
    Everything went south when they started copying tactics and **** from Fifa. Every arcade aspect of the game is removed and therefore boring to play. Since easports its in the game is not really in the game at all.
  • Over/Under this thread is closed by EA?????

I say 30 minutes.
  • trw1987
    396 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Even EASHL is down. I havent even formed my club yet because not enough guys play club...which I miss playing as a team...drop in is laughable and a trollfest...even when some guys try to play legit. This is the same thing they did with RMPGAT too. Release then almost immediately abandon due to backlash
  • Yeah our club can tell that this game is dying quickly. Our search times for games have increased drastically over the past week. We're also seeing less and less skilled teams as well. Probably 1 out of every 10 games have been against a team of the same skill level.

Its disappointing seeing this game at the state its at right now. The EASHL communty used to be so large back in the 2009-2012 days. Since then it seems there have been less players each and every year.
  • People have just had it with this series. We need to speak with our wallets and not buy the game. Only then when it hits them where it hurts will they put actual effort into making a working game. Myself and other hardcore nhl players keep playing less and less. Its not fun anymore, its a chore and a complete joke that you can dominate teams in every category and just barely win or lose to some EA puck bounce.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Miss the old days of NHL 09, 10, 11, and 12... Those were the glory days, huge NHL community, very active, tons of EASHL teams, the game was the most fun game of any in our library.

Wheels fell off on NHL 13 and has been downhill ever since, it may have gotten more real/sim, but the fun factor has been drained out of the game, its a chore to play, frustrating, not as much fun any more.

This 100% correct. NHL 13 was a huge turning point in this series for the worst.

This is the first year in a long time that I did not buy the game and I am happy with my decision.

I watch the same old gameplay on twitch and the gameplay has not evolved at all.

This series needs to focus on making this game fun and they need to lower the price point if they want to keep this game alive.
  • Nhl 09 was the best, yes it was much more ''arcade'' and there was some major flaws in it, but it definitely felt like games weren't predetermined by some kind of momentum engine.
  • I don't hate this game as much as last years. That being said...11,12 were much better. They took the manual skill out of the game so the scrubs could hang around. My club has adjusted and we're winning at about a 90% clip now, but the crisp fluidity of the game is gone. Cycles are slower because your player bobbles the puck while facing the passer. The poke check is a **** shoot. I'm against spamming. I literally just face guard cause the puck gets caught in my legs until I gain possession, retreat and reset. That's not hockey... it's compensating for how the game rewards you for playing.

Tons of issues, but until the skating engine is reverted back to the old system, the game just isn't as fun. There's no way they have the active users that they did in NHL12. They don't even respond to the videos and issues presented on the forums. Tell us if a patch is coming, what's being patched, etc..... this wait and see **** is terrible customer service.

This says everything you need to know about this game. Riddled with problems, many of which weren't around for years. Most good players work around these issues but they would never be here saying this game is a great or even good hockey game is just lying to yourself.

Wait this guy's story must be a lie because according to the ea reps here none of these complaints are real.. Just bad players looking for something to blame their losses on.
  • if the game wasn't so broken for me, I might be actually interested in putting some serious time into it. but since early NHL 14 I've been plagued with not being about to get my strategies // sliders to make any difference when it comes to gameplay. that's on top of not being about to poke check a player off the puck or body check them due to a forcefield bubble around the player. yet all the other player has to do is just touch me and I loose the puck.
    HUT = Kickass Gaming
    PSN = MastaDamage
  • FudgeoX
    6 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't hate this game as much as last years. That being said...11,12 were much better. They took the manual skill out of the game so the scrubs could hang around. My club has adjusted and we're winning at about a 90% clip now, but the crisp fluidity of the game is gone. Cycles are slower because your player bobbles the puck while facing the passer. The poke check is a **** shoot. I'm against spamming. I literally just face guard cause the puck gets caught in my legs until I gain possession, retreat and reset. That's not hockey... it's compensating for how the game rewards you for playing.

The skating doesn't need to be revamped back to the old garbage of NHL 12, they just need to have it so the backskate button actually has you backskate when held down. I absolutely LOVE trying to skate backwards towards the boards only to have my player do a 180 and skate forwards.. even though I never let go of L2 and angled my body properly. One of my favorite things to do in 14 was be RW, receive a pass on the boards while facing towards my net and then when everyone rushes at me immediately pass back to the defense who suddenly has 3/4s of the ice wide open. It's not even possible in this game as far as I know, I've never seen anyone do it yet either. I still think most of this games problem is extreme lack of balance between offense and defense, something very easily fixable. If EA doesn't get their heads out of their **** then this game is as good as dead. Release a tuner update already, EA is the biggest vidya game publisher (maybe activision is bigger, I don't follow AAA gaming anymore) out there and they can't release ONE patch or tuner for one of their flagship yearly titles? Sony didn't charge for patches back when15 and 16 were current, MS doesn't charge for patches on Xbox One, where were the updates then?
    The only expense was the dev team actually coming to work. It's nothing but pure greed from the worst publisher out there.
  • I'm so tired of the ridiculous complaints about how they "took the skill out of the game"...

Oh, you can't dingle-dangle around a whole team now with your 5'7" dangler? Gee, I'm so sorry.

'17 is hardly a masterpiece, but if they go back to having the game be "spend all game defending these 3 spots on the ice where all the always-goals are", I certainly won't be happier than I am today.

They've messed some things up in the past few years, but I don't think "taking the skill out of the game" is one of them.
  • I've been saying this for a few years now.. NHL is a niche market and every title since NHL 12 has turned its back on the hardcore NHLers and tried to lure the casual gamers to the title. As a snowball effect the hardcore guys are starting to turn their back on the title. The casuals will come and go.
  • I'm so tired of the ridiculous complaints about how they "took the skill out of the game"...

Oh, you can't dingle-dangle around a whole team now with your 5'7" dangler? Gee, I'm so sorry.

'17 is hardly a masterpiece, but if they go back to having the game be "spend all game defending these 3 spots on the ice where all the always-goals are", I certainly won't be happier than I am today.

They've messed some things up in the past few years, but I don't think "taking the skill out of the game" is one of them.

The thing is, dangling still works too easily and hitting is still not effective enough. When I watch the top streamers they all do the same things especially in the offensive zone. Turn away from hits over and over, ragging the puck until a one timer opens up or until the AI Defense gets confused and let's you skate to the net for a free shot.

• symmer1983 wrote: »
    I'm so tired of the ridiculous complaints about how they "took the skill out of the game"...

The thing is, dangling still works too easily and hitting is still not effective enough. When I watch the top streamers they all do the same things especially in the offensive zone. Turn away from hits over and over, ragging the puck until a one timer opens up or until the AI Defense gets confused and let's you skate to the net for a free shot.

I actually agree, you can still dangle too much -- but it's less than it was in '09, and "always goals" are far less of an issue...
  • Hotjoint wrote: »
    People have just had it with this series. We need to speak with our wallets and not buy the game. Only then when it hits them where it hurts will they put actual effort into making a working game. Myself and other hardcore nhl players keep playing less and less. Its not fun anymore, its a chore and a complete joke that you can dominate teams in every category and just barely win or lose to some EA puck bounce.

This would really just result in the franchise being axed altogether. People have made a statement as far as numbers online.
  • Hotjoint wrote: »
    People have just had it with this series. We need to speak with our wallets and not buy the game. Only then when it hits them where it hurts will they put actual effort into making a working game. Myself and other hardcore nhl players keep playing less and less. Its not fun anymore, its a chore and a complete joke that you can dominate teams in every category and just barely win or lose to some EA puck bounce.

This would really just result in the franchise being axed altogether. People have made a statement as far as numbers online.

I do definitely see that the online #'s have decreased but that doesn't account for people who buy the game and only play it offline. We can't forget about those people. Honestly, if it really came down to it and the series is axed all together, maybe someone would step in. At the end of the day, this is ALL on EA. We pay money for a game and expect it to work properly and be fun, how many years have we had neither? Like I said, speak with your wallet, don't buy the game, pre order or spend money on HUT. See if that sends a message.