EA Forums - Banner

This game died real quick

Replies

• symmer1983 wrote: »
    I'm so tired of the ridiculous complaints about how they "took the skill out of the game"...

Oh, you can't dingle-dangle around a whole team now with your 5'7" dangler? Gee, I'm so sorry.

'17 is hardly a masterpiece, but if they go back to having the game be "spend all game defending these 3 spots on the ice where all the always-goals are", I certainly won't be happier than I am today.

They've messed some things up in the past few years, but I don't think "taking the skill out of the game" is one of them.

The thing is, dangling still works too easily and hitting is still not effective enough. When I watch the top streamers they all do the same things especially in the offensive zone. Turn away from hits over and over, ragging the puck until a one timer opens up or until the AI Defense gets confused and let's you skate to the net for a free shot.

I actually agree, you can still dangle too much -- but it's less than it was in '09, and "always goals" are far less of an issue...

Fair enough. What frustrates me is that these are the things that we have been complaining about on these forums for years now. Actually years. The core gameplay has been ignored in favour of half baked modes and other bells and whistles. This is the reason I refuse to purchase any more EA NHL products until they show a commitment to making the game fun again.
  • same amount people are on as last year 13-17k depending on the day of the week
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    same amount people are on as last year 13-17k depending on the day of the week

And how many were on this game back in its prime?
  • There's no competition to keep them on they're toes.
    Hotjoint wrote: »
    People have just had it with this series. We need to speak with our wallets and not buy the game. Only then when it hits them where it hurts will they put actual effort into making a working game. Myself and other hardcore nhl players keep playing less and less. Its not fun anymore, its a chore and a complete joke that you can dominate teams in every category and just barely win or lose to some EA puck bounce.

This would really just result in the franchise being axed altogether. People have made a statement as far as numbers online.
    People have just had it with this series. We need to speak with our wallets and not buy the game. Only then when it hits them where it hurts will they put actual effort into making a working game. Myself and other hardcore nhl players keep playing less and less. Its not fun anymore, its a chore and a complete joke that you can dominate teams in every category and just barely win or lose to some EA puck bounce.

This would really just result in the franchise being axed altogether. People have made a statement as far as numbers online.

• I got a feeling something big will happen soon, as in EA asking another studio to make the franchise. I said in a comment section on Facebook how the games are dieing since the new gen games and all he said was thanks for the feedback lol it's clearly obvious this game is dead and it's sad to see, at least we will always have the memories of the good ol days on PS3/Xbox 360
  • I was actually saying to my brother last night, remember when games came out and weren't completely broken, I'm playing WWE 2K17, the game isn't completely broke but there are a ton of bugs making it a little annoying to play, NHL is a game I buy every year and I wasn't planning on buying this years but played the beta and loved it. Then the release a day one patch and completely ruined the game. Just crazy how times change. Developers trying to much or something and trying to make deadlines
  • kezz123
    647 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Ryujinsum wrote: »
    EASHL is the only thing that's still fairly active. Pretty sad how far this game has fallen from last gen.

hate to be the guy who said I told you so but as with each year, once the hype dies down and people go from thinking it feels like a new game and realizing its the same darn thing....the tunes start changing and people move on.

I have been telling EA over and over that nobody wants their skating simulator and people want to play hockey and feel good controls but they want to go this direction stubbornly at the cost of the game dying a bit more each year.

I get why they do it...they invested a lot of time and effort on the game to bring it to this and it probably feels to them like its "almost there" but its not...cut the losses already and go back to the drawing board.

Keep the things that people love like arena customization and redesign skating, hitting, interface and overall gameplay.

PS: frustrating to be one of the few who is voting with his wallet and not buying the game. But it does feel good when I come and see these posts and finally people are catching on.
  • I was actually saying to my brother last night, remember when games came out and weren't completely broken, I'm playing WWE 2K17, the game isn't completely broke but there are a ton of bugs making it a little annoying to play, NHL is a game I buy every year and I wasn't planning on buying this years but played the beta and loved it. Then the release a day one patch and completely ruined the game. Just crazy how times change. Developers trying to much or something and trying to make deadlines

Once the internet gaming became as big as it is, games no longer need to be tested like they used to, a quick run through the game testers is all they do now, then any bugs we find get fixed in a month or two.

Look at The Division, worst game I've ever seen in my life for bugs. I've played alphas that ran smoother.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    EASHL is the only thing that's still fairly active. Pretty sad how far this game has fallen from last gen.

hate to be the guy who said I told you so but as with each year, once the hype dies down and people go from thinking it feels like a new game and realizing its the same darn thing....the tunes start changing and people move on.

I have been telling EA over and over that nobody wants their skating simulator and people want to play hockey and feel good controls but they want to go this direction stubbornly at the cost of the game dying a bit more each year.

I get why they do it...they invested a lot of time and effort on the game to bring it to this and it probably feels to them like its "almost there" but its not...cut the losses already and go back to the drawing board.

Keep the things that people love like arena customization and redesign skating, hitting, interface and overall gameplay.

PS: frustrating to be one of the few who is voting with his wallet and not buying the game. But it does feel good when I come and see these posts and finally people are catching on.

Everything feels rushed and half-a$$ed. THAT is the issue.
  • I'd buy any other hockey game as long as it had a be a pro online. I'd even be up for some Mutant League Hockey.
  • kezz123 wrote: »

We're in the same boat, team finally stopped buying this year, just had enough of waiting for the series to improve.
  • I can't believe were already into the hockey season if only a few days. The pathetic thing is how many teams still don't have proper uniforms and still have the generic stupid EA ones. Its really sad that the schedules are all wrong for the AHL as well.
  • this series is definitely heading the way the socom series went unfortunately. In the end the devs that made socom had to close. If your own ai cant figure out one of the fundamental systems of your game, somethings wrong.
  • Like I've been saying for a years, I think video games in general are dying. Not one kid in my neighborhood plays video games, it's all smartphones with insta, twitter, vine, etc...All the players I played with back in 9,10,11 have all moved on, kids, jobs and wives.

With most sports games, NHL,NBA,NFL and Fifa, the game never changes, one field of play and the same objective. Even if they made the perfect game, player counts are down and those players will not come back and with the newer generation counts down, there lies your problem.

At least with fps games maps change and game modes change, making it somewhat new every year, where sports games can't do that.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I'm sure that's why they added HUT, to save them financially. Without HUT, I'm sure they would be in the red, hell, they might even be with HUT.

• zingaa1 wrote: »
    Like I've been saying for a years, I think video games in general are dying. Not one kid in my neighborhood plays video games, it's all smartphones with insta, twitter, vine, etc...All the players I played with back in 9,10,11 have all moved on, kids, jobs and wives.

With most sports games, NHL,NBA,NFL and Fifa, the game never changes, one field of play and the same objective. Even if they made the perfect game, player counts are down and those players will not come back and with the newer generation counts down, there lies your problem.

At least with fps games maps change and game modes change, making it somewhat new every year, where sports games can't do that.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I'm sure that's why they added HUT, to save them financially. Without HUT, I'm sure they would be in the red, ****, they might even be with HUT.

I don't think they'd be in the red without HUT. I think HUT is what made them realize that almost everyone is an idiot and they don't really have to try so hard.

As for games dying, who knows. NHL is the only game I have ever bought so I can't even comment there. The guys I always played with still play xbox all night every night though. They just play other games now. No one I used to play with will buy this game aside from 1 buddy who I think just buys the game as a habit. Too many years of complete garbage. We talk about it often, there is still a lot of interest, we just can't bother with what EA has made available. We're all just hoping some day this thing turns a corner so we can jump back into it. We really miss playing. I don't think we'd be so hard on EA if they weren't the same company that has provided us with a game that was fun in the past. They only have themselves to blame for the direction of this series. This is not playable for most of us anymore, and if you're a competitive person, you need to stay away from this series. If you like to drink & smoke and listen to loud music that comes through your headset and put the controller down every 5 mins because you're distracted and you like good graphics and you don't care who wins or loses, this game is for you.

• zingaa1 wrote: »
    Like I've been saying for a years, I think video games in general are dying. Not one kid in my neighborhood plays video games, it's all smartphones with insta, twitter, vine, etc...All the players I played with back in 9,10,11 have all moved on, kids, jobs and wives.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I'm sure that's why they added HUT, to save them financially. Without HUT, I'm sure they would be in the red, ****, they might even be with HUT.

Yes video game sales are dropping on average. People are starting to be fed up of paying $90 for a game, then some stupid Season Pass for another $50 without even telling you what the season pass will offer. You can only fleece people for so many years before they lash back. Finished are the days where you buy a game and it works as intended, day 1.

Basically you pay $90 for 80% of a game and have to pay $50 for the remaining 20%....
  • kezz123
    647 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    The games in general are dying not because people have nomore interest but because of 2 combined reasons:
    -There is nothing really different coming out anymore. Its all clones of big name games like GTA, some racing game or a rehashed game year to year like all the EA sports titles
    AND
    -The devs are greedier and greedier trying to juice the market nonstop with microtransactions at the cost of game quality

With this new vision of making more profits short term at the cost of loyalty, they are killing the industry.

In the end, the greed will be its own cure.

I think that IF a company makes a really fun game, people will find time to play it...
  • Simply put the game has lost its fun factor for a number of reasons. The dev team keep making it worse year after year
  • For me, the decline started with TPS and has gotten worse each year.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    NHL series needs to go back to arcade, games should be fun! (NHL 09,10,11,12)

Realism = wonky, clunky, random, chaos, frustrating, a chore to play. (NHL 13, 14,15,16,17)