EA Forums - Banner

[Official] Patch 1.03 Feedback

Replies

• Well, when they appointed the F1 Community manager (her name is Jenny, BTW), all she did for the longest time is take in everything. The good, the bad, the ugly... and man, there were some UGLY things people said to her!

It wasn't her fault. But that's what her job entailed. For too long the community felt like their pleas fell on deaf ears. And so when given the chance, they vented, sometimes angrily, towards her. But she didn't flinch or reply in kind or ban anyone. She just took it all in, apologized for the state the game was in and promised that she'd do her best to make sure things were set right.

Not right now, but eventually.

And eventually, it did. Not because the new game came out and it was actually good, but because the people wanted someone to hear what they had to say and not feel ignored or ridiculed. And that's what Jenny brings. People wanted to be heard, and she listened. People wanted to communicate with the devs, and she helped us do that. After the initial wave of hatred passed, she would create posts dealing with specific issues that the community felt were major issues. She asked that people present their experiences in a format that she could then transfer to the devs in an efficient manner. Issue, platform, severity, etc.

And the people were only TOO happy to give her what she wanted and the game got fixed. Yet no one on the forums spoke to a dev directly. Devs rarely showed up once Jenny took over, because they didn't need to. People stopped asking for Devs, because Jenny was there to handle things and the game WAS getting better. It is better now. It's not perfect... But it's at the point where the people that play that type or racing game can actually enjoy it whether they're newbies or hardcore racing sim veterans.

I think the NHL series can get to a similar point. But first, the community has to be heard. Someone has to listen to us.
  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    They fixed 4 major game breaking bugs. Those HUT and EASHL issues legitimately stopped people from playing the modes altogether.
  • Unfortunately the fighting issue remains in franchise mode. I tried to tell one of the moderators but he didn't bother to tell the dev team after I described the issue to him. So much for working for the users.
  • remains to be seen if they fixed any bugs besides stick lift. they have often said they fixed crashes and such in the past only to have it continue.

And so far my experience is the game runs terrible now. it's early so dropins only real choice. in 8 games i had 5 never finish loading or crash shortly after starting. the other 3 seemed laggy even though each time i had <12ms latency and 2 of those games lost at least 1 player on loading.

3 of the 5 that didn't finish loading were 6v6 that went to 0:00 on the build selection screen and then just hung.

funny to listen to people when that happens "so what do we do now ?? "
  • MacShred wrote: »
    Considering the revenue generated by HUT, I could care less if someone from EA is short on time. Take time and deal with this poor excuse of a game. Like... nice patch.

Nailed it. Not just the revenue generated by HUT. It isn't like we got the game for free. We pay for a quality game, and while we each have different expectations and use different parts of the game, why not make sure the entire game is quality before adding more?

I like to play franchise and sim most of my games, and I'd rather have player ratings that aren't within a 5% valuation between good and average and scrub players. I'd like to see someone make the logical conclusion that if a defenseman or a wing has a faceoff grade of 50, their defense shouldn't drop. Or maybe just an explanation on why faceoffs are considered part of Defense at all? Yes, winning faceoffs are important in the defensive zone, but winning a faceoff is just as important in the offensive zone, and not for defensive purposes, but to create a scoring chance.

The simple answer is that despite the massive corporation EA and EASports is, and despite the massive revenue EASports makes from these games, they either don't care, have terrible processes/project managers/QA/Defect Mitigation/Requirements Gathering/Development in place, have people building and testing the games who know nothing about what an end user would want, or have such a ridiculous bureaucracy within the company that nothing gets done, so no changes ever happen.

There is a reason every NBA player plays 2k and not EA, and if 2k made hockey, it would be the same. They actually care about gameplay and player ratings accuracy. 2k NBA barely adds anything each season except for the changed storyline for create a player, but what they do keep doing is emphasizing the improvement of gameplay and tweaking player ability based on stats from every game.

Not putting out rosters since September 21st is something to be ashamed of. I've seen the same excuse many times now - "we have to update 12 leagues, not just one or two," and that isn't true if you'd have a better process and the right staff in place. It's pretty easy to put out opening day rosters. Someone with excel expertise, a programmer, two people gathering the information, and two data entry people could get this done in one workday.

The ratings wouldn't even have to be changed, just producing a roster that moved players to their correct lines on their teams would have placated people, even if for a week or two, but EA can't even understand what people want.

People want to enjoy playing the parts of the game they like - they don't want to have to play a game and be happy just tolerating it.

There was a study done using kids age 10 to 18, playing games from original NES vs. Xbox vs. Playstation, that measured the amount of stress they were under when playing games on each console. They tested a bunch of things and they were hooked up to all this stuff. The results were ridiculously clear, and I'm being super generic because I can't talk scientifically about blood pressure and dopamine and brain scans, etc - but kids enjoyed the NES games didn't enjoy the new consoles. The new consoles caused more anger and frustration, the theory being that looking, talking, acting closer to reality, even in fantasy games, doesn't cause the kind of escape that old games did. It causes more stress because the realism in the games made them feel like they had to complete their tasks, because failing in the game caused minimal physical differences than failing in the world.

So if you die in Contra, "ok, I died in Contra" but if you die in Call of Duty, it's like you die. Huge generalization there, but...science!

My point being - care less about fixing the hue of some jersey or the ranking of a backup goalie in Norway, and care more about having a smooth working game, or in my case, Franchise, and your users will complain less.

• Over 5 weeks to iron out a lot of the issues and we get this.... I understand they wanted to get a lot of issues fixed and not waste their time on one problem. But 5 weeks go by and we get an update (I get excited) and i look at what was fixed and immediately just shook my head in complete disappointment. Bery underwhelming and practically useless patch. Now dont expect another patch until December. What a joke.
  • phil7488 wrote: »
    EA is given an open book test and they still fail.

• Tried 2 HUT-games. Stick lifting works again, but everything else is pure **** as usual.

- puck went through goalies pad (along the ice)
    - AI facing the wrong way, skating AWAY from the play on defense
    - controller inputs not registering and being laggy and slow, resulting in frustration and sore thumbs
    - scored a goal from the point that did not count for some random reason (hade no other player even remotely close to crease or the goalie)
    - had a player stutter and freeze i the middle of the ice
    - AI took several totally random penalties
    - AI skating offside on breakaway
    - Letting in soft goal in the last minute
    - Unable to switch to relevant player on defense
    - And so on and so on... (in just 2 games)

Turned off NHL 17 in disgust.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Well, when they appointed the F1 Community manager (her name is Jenny, BTW), all she did for the longest time is take in everything. The good, the bad, the ugly... and man, there were some UGLY things people said to her!

It wasn't her fault. But that's what her job entailed. For too long the community felt like their pleas fell on deaf ears. And so when given the chance, they vented, sometimes angrily, towards her. But she didn't flinch or reply in kind or ban anyone. She just took it all in, apologized for the state the game was in and promised that she'd do her best to make sure things were set right.

And eventually, it did. Not because the new game came out and it was actually good, but because the people wanted someone to hear what they had to say and not feel ignored or ridiculed. And that's what Jenny brings. People wanted to be heard, and she listened. People wanted to communicate with the devs, and she helped us do that. After the initial wave of hatred passed, she would create posts dealing with specific issues that the community felt were major issues. She asked that people present their experiences in a format that she could then transfer to the devs in an efficient manner. Issue, platform, severity, etc.

And the people were only TOO happy to give her what she wanted and the game got fixed. Yet no one on the forums spoke to a dev directly. Devs rarely showed up once Jenny took over, because they didn't need to. People stopped asking for Devs, because Jenny was there to handle things and the game WAS getting better. It is better now. It's not perfect... But it's at the point where the people that play that type or racing game can actually enjoy it whether they're newbies or hardcore racing sim veterans.

I think the NHL series can get to a similar point. But first, the community has to be heard. Someone has to listen to us.

Years ago I wrote a post trying to convince EA to talk to the community more. I explained what you detailed above is exactly what would happen. The community would unleash their frustration after years of neglect and sub-par game releases, and then when the dust settled, everything would get better. Posters would behave better, more feedback would come out, and the mods could spend their time cultivating info instead of banning/hiding trolls. Cool to know I was right. Sucks EA didn't try it here. At least the devs will be back in the lead up to 18. Wonder if the customers will be as well.
  • Can the Devs tell me if they even know of the bugs and immersion breaking missing features that ive been reporting since I paid 100 (92 after tax) dollars for this game? These issues are really harming my experience with the game, and If they were fixed I would consider this a great game, but they're not being touched
    Well, when they appointed the F1 Community manager (her name is Jenny, BTW), all she did for the longest time is take in everything. The good, the bad, the ugly... and man, there were some UGLY things people said to her!

Years ago I wrote a post trying to convince EA to talk to the community more. I explained what you detailed above is exactly what would happen. The community would unleash their frustration after years of neglect and sub-par game releases, and then when the dust settled, everything would get better. Posters would behave better, more feedback would come out, and the mods could spend their time cultivating info instead of banning/hiding trolls. Cool to know I was right. **** EA didn't try it here. At least the devs will be back in the lead up to 18. Wonder if the customers will be as well.

Well said Seth! It's almost like you have to treat EA with kid gloves (can't say anything bad about them).
    I know it's 2 different products but the Principal is the same.

I work for a shipping and receiving company here in Pgh. We don't have a dock so when trucks come in they have to dump the cargo/pallets in the parking lot and we unload it by hand/dolly. I wear LL Bean hiking boots (due to all the different weather we get thought the year here). Last year after owning a pair of boots for a little more than 3yrs, I took them back to LL Bean store (local mall near work has one, so only 10min drive). I calmly explained to the lady the situation with the boots (showed her how deteriorated they were) and the very first thing the lady did was APOLOGIZE for the product wearing out. These boots were 3yrs old (a lot of wear and tear on them) and that's her/LL Beans response was to APOLOGIZE first and foremost. Was told to go back and find another pair. When I brought the NEW pair up to be rung up, the Cashier took 30% off the NEW pair of boots. I asked why the discount? The cashier responded with LL BEAN backs their product 100% and they want Happy/Satisfied Customers. Happy/Satisfied customers turns into REPEAT Business for them (not to mention the good word that I have already told my friends about).

NOT ONCE did any LL BEAN Employee look at me like I was an a**hole for returning their product. NOT ONCE was I hit with a barrage of questions as to why I was returning the boots. NOT ONCE was I accused of lying. NOT ONCE was I made to feel like a stupid idiot or got flamed!

People have issues with this game and the Devs and certain Mods act like YOU (the buying consumer) are lying. There are a gazillion Videos on YouTube and yet That is NOT ENOUGH to convince the Devs or Mods that it's EAs fault. People are getting tired of being treated this way

NHL15 (bare bones game) - retailed at FULL PRICE
    LL BEAN boots (3yrs old and falling apart) - LL BEAN knocks of 30% on the purchase of a NEW pair
  • The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Unfortunately the fighting issue remains in franchise mode. I tried to tell one of the moderators but he didn't bother to tell the dev team after I described the issue to him. So much for working for the users.

Fighting itself is broken this year, L2(punch block) hasn't worked since nhl 16, only dodge works, this turns every fight into mashing up on the right stick as fast as you can.
  • 140mb patch? pretty much confirmed this game is coded in visual basics.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Years ago I wrote a post trying to convince EA to talk to the community more. I explained what you detailed above is exactly what would happen. The community would unleash their frustration after years of neglect and sub-par game releases, and then when the dust settled, everything would get better. Posters would behave better, more feedback would come out, and the mods could spend their time cultivating info instead of banning/hiding trolls. Cool to know I was right. **** EA didn't try it here. At least the devs will be back in the lead up to 18. Wonder if the customers will be as well.

Well said Seth! It's almost like you have to treat EA with kid gloves (can't say anything bad about them).

I work for a shipping and receiving company here in Pgh. We don't have a dock so when trucks come in they have to dump the cargo/pallets in the parking lot and we unload it by hand/dolly. I wear LL Bean hiking boots (due to all the different weather we get thought the year here). Last year after owning a pair of boots for a little more than 3yrs, I took them back to LL Bean store (local mall near work has one, so only 10min drive). I calmly explained to the lady the situation with the boots (showed her how deteriorated they were) and the very first thing the lady did was APOLOGIZE for the product wearing out. These boots were 3yrs old (a lot of wear and tear on them) and that's her/LL Beans response was to APOLOGIZE first and foremost. Was told to go back and find another pair. When I brought the NEW pair up to be rung up, the Cashier took 30% off the NEW pair of boots. I asked why the discount? The cashier responded with LL BEAN backs their product 100% and they want Happy/Satisfied Customers. Happy/Satisfied customers turns into REPEAT Business for them (not to mention the good word that I have already told my friends about).

NOT ONCE did any LL BEAN Employee look at me like I was an a**hole for returning their product. NOT ONCE was I hit with a barrage of questions as to why I was returning the boots. NOT ONCE was I accused of lying. NOT ONCE was I made to feel like a stupid **** or got flamed!

People have issues with this game and the Devs and certain Mods act like YOU (the buying consumer) are lying. There are a gazillion Videos on YouTube and yet That is NOT ENOUGH to convince the Devs or Mods that it's EAs fault. People are getting tired of being treated this way

LL BEAN boots (3yrs old and falling apart) - LL BEAN knocks of 30% on the purchase of a NEW pair

This story would be valid if you guys actually didn't buy the game every year after complaining about it every previous year. So although LL was good to a customer, if they didn't, would you have gone back to by it again? Probably not, so why do people continue to buy NHL if you're not happy with it every single year?

Look in the mirror, sheep.....I mean boys.
    Huehuehuehuehue!!!
  • Plain and simply there are thousands of different boots you could buy, but there is only ONE Hockey game. I am not saying the EA NHL series is all bad, but it is far from good either. We shouldn't be punished for liking hockey.
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »

NOT ONCE did any LL BEAN Employee look at me like I was an a**hole for returning their product. NOT ONCE was I hit with a barrage of questions as to why I was returning the boots. NOT ONCE was I accused of lying. NOT ONCE was I made to feel like a stupid **** or got flamed!

This story would be valid if you guys actually didn't buy the game every year after complaining about it every previous year. So although LL was good to a customer, if they didn't, would you have gone back to by it again? Probably not, so why do people continue to buy NHL if you're not happy with it every single year?

Huehuehuehuehue!!!

Because there are different types of boots that are sold by different types Retailers. There is ONLY one company that produces a video Hockey game. NHL is the ONLY game I buy anymore. It's the Customer Service or lack thereof that brings people back for more OR pushes them away. WE the buying consumer want a better overall product, when we come to these here forums to complain (Hey, that's what PAYING Consumers do and have the Right to do...you don't think Samsung isn't taking an ear beating over their phones right now??) or to offer solutions/suggestions, we get: flamed, flat out told we are lying and basically treated like garbage. While True WE don't have to come back and purchase NHL yearly, it's just we get told that thing's ARE better than previous years and with ONLY one Company producing a NHL game, we buy into it.
  • eric57664 wrote: »

Huehuehuehuehue!!!

Because right now It's the only game in town and we want to play hockey. I'm not gonna hate on it cause i don't like it, it could be better. A lot better. I want it to be better and it's not which is my opinion but one a lot of others agree with.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    eric57664 wrote: »

Huehuehuehuehue!!!

Because there are different types of boots that are sold by different types Retailers. There is ONLY one company that produces a video Hockey game. NHL is the ONLY game I buy anymore. It's the Customer Service or lack thereof that brings people back for more OR pushes them away. WE the buying consumer want a better overall product, when we come to these here forums to complain (Hey, that's what PAYING Consumers do and have the Right to do...you don't think Samsung isn't taking an ear beating over their phones right now??) or to offer solutions/suggestions, we get: flamed, flat out told we are lying and basically treated like garbage. While True WE don't have to come back and purchase NHL yearly, it's just we get told that thing's ARE better than previous years and with ONLY one Company producing a NHL game, we buy into it.

I don't buy that excuse. And you rather give a company you money even though you're not happy with it? I wouldn't and didn't for NHL 15. I think the "it's the only hockey game" is a total cop out.

phil7488 wrote: »
    EVerk81 wrote: »
    It's lose-lose for EA whenever they do anything.

Whine for weeks that there isn't a patch update...Now we'll whine for weeks about the fixes they put in.

Gee, wonder why they don't come around here very often. Such a swell community

They have no clue how to communicate with a community. They've been given generous amounts of feedback and we get this.

Not that I'm apologizing for them, but Devs aren't really supposed to be wasting their time coming on the forums and giving the user base any direct answers.

The Codemasters Formula One community was in the same dire straights last year, and then they hired a COMMUNITY MANAGER. She basically was the middle person between us and the devs. She collected feedback and issues, sorted them out and gave them to the devs in a much more "streamlined" manner than what a forum can provide.

The result is that F1 2016 is a vastly superior product and the community is spending it's time posting QUESTIONS and IDEAS on the forums 2 months into the game's life instead of posting HATE messages and threats as was the case mere weeks after the release of F1 2015.

Might be an idea to mull over at EA...

Sorry for the late response but I agree here. I advocated big time on the old forums this time last year that EA NHL needed a dedicated community manager exactly like how Bungie has it with the Destiny community. Say what you will about that game but the communication between Bungee and their community was dead on even 1 year post release. We simply don't have that here and the result is the "patch" that we received today
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited October 2016

First post may as well be the one jumping into the fire. Since the new forums went up, I haven't had an account on here, but I definitely want to make it clear that we have read everything that people have had to say.

Unfortunately, a lot of what I said from the previous account on the last forum holds true. We can't talk about too much before it is released -- or at least we can't confirm something that isn't officially released.
    EVerk81 wrote: »
    It's lose-lose for EA whenever they do anything.

Whine for weeks that there isn't a patch update...Now we'll whine for weeks about the fixes they put in.

Gee, wonder why they don't come around here very often. Such a swell community

They have no clue how to communicate with a community. They've been given generous amounts of feedback and we get this.

Not that I'm apologizing for them, but Devs aren't really supposed to be wasting their time coming on the forums and giving the user base any direct answers.

The Codemasters Formula One community was in the same dire straights last year, and then they hired a COMMUNITY MANAGER. She basically was the middle person between us and the devs. She collected feedback and issues, sorted them out and gave them to the devs in a much more "streamlined" manner than what a forum can provide.

The result is that F1 2016 is a vastly superior product and the community is spending it's time posting QUESTIONS and IDEAS on the forums 2 months into the game's life instead of posting HATE messages and threats as was the case mere weeks after the release of F1 2015.

Might be an idea to mull over at EA...

Sorry for the late response but I agree here. I advocated big time on the old forums this time last year that EA NHL needed a dedicated community manager exactly like how Bungie has it with the Destiny community. Say what you will about that game but the communication between Bungee and their community was dead on even 1 year post release. We simply don't have that here and the result is the "patch" that we received today

We actually do have team members sending reports each week that consolidate the key issues from the community across the different forums and social channels. It ranges in anything from rare bugs to new feature suggestions. I personally read them all and they get sent to various members of our production and development team. That is on top of personally navigating many of those same channels and reading the threads/posts/tweets first hand a lot of the time.

The patch that released on Day 0 is a result of listening to feedback as we finalized the disc and trying to improve the game and get the fixes and improvements into your hands as soon as possible. We really wanted to push for those to be there for launch.

It took us some time to fix some of the issues that were released in the patch today and it also takes time process wise to get patches cleared and approved.

We are continuing to look at more issues and are tracking items that can be looked at for a tuner as well but are limited in some ways to how transparent we can be about anything that isn't officially released yet as some things may not make it into the game.

As Venom said though, the more time we spend here, the less time, we are working with the engineers directly on new designs and/or fixes to existing issues. That is often why I am on here at odd/inconsistent hours so that it doesn't conflict with that part of my job.

Despite the belief of some, I do like being on these forums and talking about the game, how it works and how it can improve. That is what we do all day anyways, just not always on this forum. Would it be great if some of the tact was a bit better? Sure. But the negativity and drive for improvement is all valid to a certain degree since we all want the game to continue to get better. Unfortunately, we can't be as open here as we are in our development meetings but as a hockey fan and someone that wants to put the best experience in your hands, the feedback we get here and the ideas are all part of that process. Definitely keep the feedback coming.
    Post edited by NHLDev on