EA Forums - Banner

Where's 2K Sports when ya need em'?

Prev1
Waiting on the day for 2K to jump on this gem of an opportunity to revive their series....

Replies

• I doubt it'll ever happen. Markets too small for NHL games.
  • Never gonna happen, they dropped the series long ago and for good reason.

They're games lacked and just plain sucked compared to EA NHL. Plain and simple.

If there was any competition they would of kept making nhl games.
  • I HATE the argument that "oh well 2k is free to make their own game if you don't like it". It's hilariously ignorant.... they can't. Just because EA doesn't hold the license doesn't mean they don't have a monopoly. They absolutely do.

People will buy NHL 17, 18, whatever as long as it has the "EA SPORTS" logo on the front. I pray that people learn from this catastrophe of a game and wait until NHL 18 reviews come out to see if the AI is fixed or any of the numerous other problems.

EA told you all to go **** yourselves and the people defending them from day 1 have to swallow that
  • Merc572 wrote: »
    Never gonna happen, they dropped the series long ago and for good reason.

They're games lacked and just plain **** compared to EA NHL. Plain and simple.

They were back and forth, I always bought both games, when EA introduced the skill stick is when it set itself apart as the better game, before that 2k was better

Lol you're full of crap, buddy.

They had plenty of bright spots. They had the right idea but didn't have the money to do it. People will buy anything with EA Sports on the title. They are literally the definition of a monopoly. It's the reason they're one of the most hated companies in America.

Lol you're full of ****, buddy.

They had plenty of bright spots. They had the right idea but didn't have the money to do it. People will buy anything with EA Sports on the title. They are literally the definition of a monopoly. It's the reason they're one of the most hated companies in America.

Just stating facts,dont get your panties in bunch bud. Not denying they didn't have good points to there games.

But they dropped the series for a reason and EA pushed them out hands down.

If 2k was still profitable and it made sense to continue the series, they would be 2k hockey today.
    Merc572 wrote: »

Lol you're full of ****, buddy.

Just stating facts,dont get your panties in bunch bud. Not denying they didn't have good points to there games.

But they dropped the series for a reason and EA pushed them out hands down.

If 2k was still profitable and it made sense to continue the series, they would be 2k hockey today.

Yea, that reason was slowly declining sales and then deciding to make their last iteration a Wii exclusive.... Needless to say, it sold horribly and thus the money ran out. Indeed, they did have strong points, but sadly they neglected a few areas that casuals found pretty important, such as graphics.

In an ideal world, 2k and EA would work together to bring the best of both worlds. This will never happen of course and with EA's marketing power house, they don't need it. People will buy anything if dangled properly in their faces.
  • symmer1983
    127 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    I doubt it'll ever happen. Markets too small for NHL games.

The market is small for hockey simulators*

Why? Because they are boring. We have had the same recycled 'sim' product for years now and it's stale.

Back in the day there was a great variety of hockey games to play. Yes they were arcadey, but many of them were fun to play. Also, just because a game is arcadey, doesn't mean it can't be competitive.

Look at rocket league for instance. They haven't released rocket league 2017 right? That's because they have built a solid user base around one release and the game has a thriving competitive scene.

There is a big hole in the video game hockey market that needs to be filled. A game that has one cross platform release that is fun, easy to pick up, but difficult to master would be huge.

It's sad that with all the improvements in gaming hardware that all the fun arcade-style sport games have been left behind. There is a huge opportunity for it now.
  • Now days 2K isn't any better. The latest WWE game was released with more bugs than an Amazon rain forest and it's been 2 weeks and they still haven't released a patch. From what I understand, Mafia 3 had similar issues.
  • people abandoned them because they preferred pretty pictures. now they're sick of pretty pictures.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    The problems with NHL 2K started right after NHL 2K8 was released. At the time 2K Sports felt that they couldnt' rely on a 3rd party developer like Kush Games and instead decided to develop it in house by a small division of the Visual Concept team.

It wouldn't have been too bad, except that the new team felt the game needed to go in a completely different direction than Kush Games and Treyarch before them were going in. For some reason, someone decided that NHL 2K needed to copy EA's NHL style of Arcade + Sim and that's where things went south real quick.

Why would anyone want to play a hockey videogame that tried to ape (and failed miserably) another hockey videogame? NHL 2K had always catered to the hardcore sim community and all of a sudden they tried to win over the casuals by dumming things down and introducing the "Shot Stick" and "Ovi Dekes" (what EA people know as "One touch dekes"). There was still a good hockey sim to be found... NHL 2K10 was basically a "fixed" version of NHL 2K9, but there were too many bugs and a lot of the things that made the sim community hold on were either removed (like the awesome franchise mode with complete CBA rules player negotiations) or severely gimped (like the online franchise mode that could be managed via the 2K sports website).

Still, NHL 2K had some of innovative features, the best one being able to share rosters and settings in-game. And prior to the disasters that started with NHL 2K9, even though NHL 2K was never the prettiest looking hockey game on the market, it was (by far) the best playing. After the sim community all but lambasted 2K Sports for their abysmal efforts with 2K9 and 2K10, they decided they didn't want to deal with the sim community anymore and to cater even MORE to the casuals by going Wii only... And the rest, as they say, is ancient history.
  • EA buy exclusives rights on NHL games in 2009-2010. Nobody can't create NHL video games except EA. Current ea license action to 2020 or 2022 or 2024 year, i don't remember.
    Nashville Predators Fan. NHL19 Russia - https://vk.com/nhl19_nhl_19_ps4_xboxone
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    EA buy exclusives rights on NHL games in 2009-2010. Nobody can't create NHL video games except EA. Current ea license action to 2020 or 2022 or 2024 year, i don't remember.

umh... no.

Back in 2009, EA tried to have exclusive rights to NHL, but the NHL said no and decided to let both EA and 2K Sports have the rights. Then EA tried to get exclusive rights to the NHLPA, the NHLPA agreed at first and a tentative deal was reached between both. However, the NHL then threaten to dissolve their deal if EA and the NHLPA went through with it.

Both parties dropped the deal and the status quo remained until 2K simply bowed out from making NHL games. But they still retain the rights to the NHL license to this day, which is why they were able to make NHL games for the mobile market.

2K simply isn't interested in making other sports games for any other platform. The only rights that are exclusive to EA are the NFL rights, which they scooped up in 2006. As for MLB, 2K had the exclusive 3rd party rights to any MLB game, meaning that 1st parties (like Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo) could make MLB licensed games, but 3rd parties (like EA, Sega, Capcom, etc) couldn't. Though I don't know if that MLB deal is still in effect as 2K no longer makes MLB games either.
  • People will buy NHL 17, 18, whatever as long as it has the "EA SPORTS" logo on the front.

I do that all the time. EA everything. I have enjoyed every single EA SPORTS game that I bought. Including NBA Live over NBA 2K. Some people simply just enjoy EA SPORTS over 2K. Like me.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    I doubt it'll ever happen. Markets too small for NHL games.

That's still no accuse not to produce a game. That can come across offensive to people that buy the game and and love the sport as opposed to those who only play the other sports because of numbers and types of buyers is just wrong and offensive to us!!

1. They never lacked against EA lets get that straight!

2. They lost the market because of other games. A numbers game which is so wrong.

Funny how some of those developers now work for EA? Yep!!!

2K5, 2K8, 2K10 great games no losses to EA here. Take a look back in time at the history and at what was happening in the gaming industry...

They were back and forth, I always bought both games, when EA introduced the skill stick is when it set itself apart as the better game, before that 2k was better

You got that right!!!!! Skill stick to this day is very bad! Way to hard to use and the controller you can not change all the buttons to your desired liking which would allow people to maybe get better with it and like using it, but as it stands now you can not program the control, so it's a nightmare to even think of using it!!!
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    I do miss 2k's take on hockey. Their gameplay, at the time, was top notch.

Regardless of how many of us feel about some of the issues in the current NHL series, it is leaps and bounds ahead of 2K, and they would need to herculean effort in order to make a dent in the market.

However, I've always said - if 2K consistently released a game for 2-3 years, fans of both franchises would benefit from the healthy competition.

Their gameplay, at the time, was top notch. You got that right!!!!!!!!!!

You got that right!!!!! Skill stick to this day is very bad! Way to hard to use and the controller you can not change all the buttons to your desired liking which would allow people to maybe get better with it and like using it, but as it stands now you can not program the control, so it's a nightmare to even think of using it!!!

Just keep practicing and one day you won't be a scrub anymore!!!! Start using it!!!! Get with the times!!!!
  • honestly if 2k reactivated 2k10's online features I'd pay a monthly fee. Their online league setup was by far the most in-depth and impressive of any hockey game to date. The league website with auto stats alone was worth the $29.99 price tag.