EA Forums - Banner

MESSAGE TO NHLDev Regarding Lag/Delay/Etc...

Replies

• I'm not playing online because of this issue
  • I have the same issue, consistent 11 ms ping in network performance, and located in Vancouver. Xbox one.
  • I'm giving up on this game too. Same issues. Also in Vancouver.
    Funny thing is these are the same issues from last year with NHL 16. Guess how long it took them to fix it. 5 months!
    Here's the patch notes from Feb 11, 2016
    https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2016/nhl-16-title-update

The devs never spoke about those issues and they're not talking about them this year either. Pretty lame. Good job EA
  • I have the same issue sometime and my ping is between 9and 13 ms, I'm from Montreal. Nothing work when you have the fat man lag...
    Even if you play play with the playmaker, your player turn like the defensive enforcer!
  • Yeah, I guess it's pretty safe to say we will hear nothing about this, it seems the single EA dev who's around here is not allowed to speak about this topic, for whatever reason? Admitting a problem might be justification for wide ranged refunding or similar?
  • Last night I finally decided to play this game (EASHL) again after taking a few weeks off. I just simply don't find this game enjoyable anymore. Sad really since hockey is my favorite form of entertainment and for years (until now) 90% of my gaming time was spent playing NHL. Anyway, I played one game with friends and the lag was so bad that I was already done with the game and went to watch real hockey instead.

I thought this issue was better in '17. I had experienced a few games here and there with some lag but it didn't seem nearly as bad or as frequent as '16. Last night's game seemed like '16 all over again. Yeah, I know it's one game, but screw it. This game is already not nearly as much fun as it used to be and when there's lag it's not even worth playing.
  • One thing I have noticed... if you are on XBOX One you CANNOT go into your XBOX menu while the game is active and take video clips or snap apps and so on... there will be an immediate delay with the game as your console action/requests are clearly throwing your console off as far as game-sync is concerned.
  • CoG's you would know exactly what skating in the mud feels like if you played HUT. It's basically like trying to play EASHL when your wife is streaming Netflix except she's not and your team of 90+ skaters all feel like Chris Neil.
  • There is no video that will accurately show what the skating in mud "Fat Man Lag" is like. Input delay isn't even the biggest problem when this happens, so even if I showed a video of my controller and the screen at the same time, it wouldn't look too bad.

I've played with delay, and it's bad, but most things still work, just a half second or more late. Fat man lag is is different though. It's a really vague thing that I haven't really been able to pin down, but it is definitely "off".

You feel really slow, but if you went head to head with a similar player type, I bet you'd be neck and neck. It's more in agility, and RS movements with the puck. A lot of my games have this fat man lag. Hitting is harder, poking is harder (the game just doesn't recognize when you connect with these moves). When do a you turn, it takes, or at least feel like it takes a larger patch of ice to complete the turn. Without lag, I feel like I can zip all over the ice, but with fat man lag, it feels like everyone is worse than an enforcer.

Like I said, it's really hard to explain what is happening, but when you are in it, you can definitely tell.

Also, the AI seems to play pretty **** when my team has fat man lag. They are all over the ice, out of their positions, running into me and into each other.
    Me too, makes me extremely sad that this isn't being adressed. Truly makes the game unplayable.
  • Rabieh wrote: »
    Me too, makes me extremely sad that this isn't being adressed. Truly makes the game unplayable.
    It was addressed with the last patch in NHL 16. It worked absolute wonders for me. The only times I feel EASHL fat man lag is when my wife is streaming something. Other than that it is still as good as the beta. But for whatever reason PvP HUT/VS plays absolutely brutal. I remember one game 2 years ago ... the game played absolutely amazing. Is it sad that I remember how smooth a game played years ago against a single opponent but I can't remember my mom's birthday?
  • Rabieh wrote: »
    It was addressed with the last patch in NHL 16. It worked absolute wonders for me. The only times I feel EASHL fat man lag is when my wife is streaming something. Other than that it is still as good as the beta. But for whatever reason PvP HUT/VS plays absolutely brutal. I remember one game 2 years ago ... the game played absolutely amazing. Is it sad that I remember how smooth a game played years ago against a single opponent but I can't remember my mom's birthday?

Not sad at all bud lol.

58c73088bd811cf818b6693504604d3a.jpg

• The only consistent lag i have experienced is a few ms freeze usually when either team enters the offensive zone.
  • I usually have a good connection in eashl but i have notice that every time i play in the challenge club room I always get fat man delay. It drives me crazy. Anyone else get this?
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Rabieh wrote: »

I wonder if this is a matchmaking issue?

EASHL is based on dedicated servers - so the 'fat man lag' would be dependent on each user's connection quality to the server they've matched up with.

OVP/HUT is Peer-Peer - so there's more pressure on your internet connection as well as your opponent's - and hopefully minimal hops between you two.

I tend to feel there's a matchmaking issue for those experiencing a ton of lag.

yes, that.

and i have to wonder... if there is ONE PERSON connecting to the centralized anchor point (i.e. a "game server") and that person has garbage upload and/or is streaming (further impacting their upload) or is taking game clips (i can confirm this has "fat man lag" impact immediately after taking said capture on XBOX) that everyone else is then impacted... as the game attempts to sync all to the lowest common denominator...

just some nerd ramblings for thought.
  • COGSx86
    785 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    CoG's you would know exactly what skating in the mud feels like if you played HUT. It's basically like trying to play EASHL when your wife is streaming Netflix except she's not and your team of 90+ skaters all feel like Chris Neil.

I have about 60 something games played in HUT and no I dont feel like being in mud.

And all my skaters have 89 skating or above. Very fast team. Never an issue
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Well I also experience the exact lag this thread is talking about, 95% of the time. So it is not a myth. I spend more time researching how to fix it than I do playing. The reason I know it's a thing because the games where I don't have it are such a huge difference in skating ability. I get out checked 20 to 3 because I whiff Everytime, and I get blown up crossing the blue line with ease.
  • Assisted_6 wrote: »
    KoryDub wrote: »
    TOhasBO wrote: »
    So it is not a myth.

Nobody is claiming it's a myth.

There's clearly an issue, and we're just gathering evidence to help out with a possible solution for those experiencing the issues.

Well how long until this solution gets figured out, it's been 3 years now and close to $300 worth of NHL games with the issue

The problem is that the entire base isn't impacted and honestly there aren't enough details being shared by the community in order to determine "the issue".
  • Assisted_6 wrote: »
    KoryDub wrote: »
    TOhasBO wrote: »
    So it is not a myth.

Nobody is claiming it's a myth.

There's clearly an issue, and we're just gathering evidence to help out with a possible solution for those experiencing the issues.

Well how long until this solution gets figured out, it's been 3 years now and close to $300 worth of NHL games with the issue

The problem is that the entire base isn't impacted and honestly there aren't enough details being shared by the community in order to determine "the issue".

One would have to think that since this issue isn't really duplicated in any offline mode that it's an online-only thing. Beyond that, the only tool EA gives us is the "Network Performance" stat which shows only the ping, packet loss, and a time-lapse graph. I would be curious to see what my opponent's stats look like compared to mine to see if there is any difference between the two. If it's peer-to-peer you would think they SHOULD be identical, right?

Of course, we also have the traceroutes to easo.ea.com that the EA people have us run whenever we contact them about any online problems.

So assuming that all of that "looks good" according to EA, when in fact things are not good according to us, then I don't really see what other "information" we can offer them. We have pretty much given them any information they have asked for, but we still have the same issues popping up this year as we did in 15 and 16.

This problem won't resolve itself until EA is willing to do the hard work to figure it out. They would probably have to play the game randomly in random locations of NA and Europe with the ability to fully monitor both sides of the connection throughout...and that's just for starters. I mean it's certainly doable, but are they going to put forth the effort? Have they so far?
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    "If it's peer-to-peer you would think they SHOULD be identical, right?"

no. not necessarily. most consumer connections are asymmetrical and you have no idea what their upload vs. download is or how it is performing.

EDIT - just want to be more clear here.... in theory yeah, they should be. But in reality they may not always. The problem with P2P vs. server based is you are at the mercy of their connection... could be OK one minute and garbage the next depending on what's going on at their home or if they have intermittent issues with their internet.

"Of course, we also have the traceroutes to easo.ea.com that the EA people have us run whenever we contact them about any online problems."

i'd love to speak more on this but i have asked several questions about this "easo" domain.
    i don't know what it is, it could resolve to any given IP address depending on where you are resolving it and i honestly don't have a clue as to it's relevance in P2P or server based games.

show me a "good" trace vs. a "bad trace".

"They would probably have to play the game randomly in random locations of NA and Europe with the ability to fully monitor both sides of the connection throughout...and that's just for starters. I mean it's certainly doable, but are they going to put forth the effort? Have they so far?"

i am on XBOX One, outside ATL, have Comcast and do not experience massive fat boy lag. on a rare occasion i will get input delay. and i mean rare. and this goes for EASHL cause that's what i play. i have played maybe a total of 10-15 vs. games.

90 Mbps down, 13 up. i usually will have one person streaming video in the house; nothing major. i never have a massive demand for upload as none of us upload files and we don't "social media". my console is hardwired, not wifi.

i get 13 ms or 34 ms (net perf) in my games. that's it. it's one or the other. there is no variation.

4 of my team are on the east coast
    1 is in Edmonton
    2 are outside St. Louis

the reason i say this is this is the kind of information i feel people need to bring to the table.

i can tell you the games are "quicker" if it is JUST my east coast pals playing JUST east coast teams.......... and "quicker" is a relative term. the only time i had a legit .5 second delay was with the home team captain lag.
    Post edited by BoboFloggins on