EA Forums - Banner

What does it take for a goalie or defenceman to get a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd star?

In EASHL, I've had games as goalie with 1 GAA and 20 saves, and all it takes is some scrub with 1 secondary assist to be more of a "Star" than me. Or a non-offensive defenceman that plays exceptional defence has no chance to make it there because nothing non-offensive (other than goals and assists) really counts.

Why does the 3 stars always have to be about OFFENCE and nothing else. Why does EA only reward forwards? WHY!!!???

Replies

• Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Back when they had the rookie -> legend 3 cards I would always have A+ position, A+ Team Play, C+ Stats. As a D-Dman you're not supposed to get stats but it was still a requirement.

In terms of 3stars I've seen my goalie get first star in 15+ save shutouts but basically if you're a skater it's points driven.

It's not really a matter of EA favoring points, it's the algorithm they use that makes pts the basic requirement ... things like blocked shots, successful tie ups, chances prevented likely aren't part of said algorithm.
  • The old system required getting points, no matter if you were a D man. Even if you stopped 5 possible breakaways and intercepted 19 passes, it did not matter if you didn't have an assist or a goal. If you were lucky and your team won by a blowout, then you generally still had an A+ for your offensive stats.

The old system was completely flawed. From the grading system to the way you could build and exploit your pro. This year isn't much different other than not requiring to reach a Legend 3. The grading system is still junk. The coach is seriously mentally deficient. As a goalie, I can understand that getting only 2 shots a period your stats don't climb sky high. However, at the end of a game, if I get a shutout on even only 6 shots, then my stats should be at A+ as I stopped all the shots and therefore did my job perfectly. Nope. EA's garbage grading system grants you a C+ because you didn't get 29 shots...
  • .... However, at the end of a game, if I get a shutout on even only 6 shots, then my stats should be at A+ as I stopped all the shots and therefore did my job perfectly. Nope. EA's garbage grading system grants you a C+ because you didn't get 29 shots...
    +1 ... as a goalie you should start with A+ and have categories go down accordingly. There's no reason you should have a C overall after shutout performance.

As for Dmen it was way too points based. You can play a perfect D-Dman game and win 3-0, finish A+, A+, B despite being +3 but because you didn't get a point no A+ for you!
  • Socair
    2811 posts Game Changer
    Offence is all the majority of casuals play. Plus, look at half the celebration unlocks; goal scoring is favoured.
  • Uh, usually stars are off points in real life anyway. Who cares.
  • kapitanron wrote: »
    In EASHL, I've had games as goalie with 1 GAA and 20 saves, and all it takes is some scrub with 1 secondary assist to be more of a "Star" than me. Or a non-offensive defenceman that plays exceptional defence has no chance to make it there because nothing non-offensive (other than goals and assists) really counts.

Why does the 3 stars always have to be about OFFENCE and nothing else. Why does EA only reward forwards? WHY!!!???

Because EA doesn't care about the Defensive end of the game. Offense gets One Touch Dekes, what is the Defensive equivalent (to help Dmen counter it?) NOT A DAMN THING, cause EA doesn't care bout no Dmen

Dumbest reply ever.

Dumbest reply ever.

lmfao, when the basement dwellers always have to get their say in. Nothing dumb about what I said. In the real NHL, they usually go by points. Your reply was, in fact, the dumb one. Take a lap, frodo.

Dumbest reply ever.

lmfao, when the basement dwellers always have to get their say in. Nothing dumb about what I said. In the real NHL, they usually go by points. Your reply was, in fact, the dumb one. Take a lap, frodo.

639.gif
  • TimeToHockey94
    214 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Uh, usually stars are off points in real life anyway. Who cares.

Dumbest reply ever.

639.gif

Damn, what an E-Z win. Hopefully you're better at NHL 17 than you are trying to troll, or you're an E-Z win there, as well. lololol

Post edited by TimeToHockey94 on
  • Dmen are stars all the time IRL but the only defensive stat that seems to matter in EA NHL is Hits.
  • Mansikka3
    48 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    This said "algorithm" is very complicated. I'm pretty sure it is something like this: A goal is 9 points, an assist is 3 points, and a hit is 1 point. So a goal is worth 3 assists or 9 hits. For goalies I have no idea, but only shutouts seem to make it most of the time.

Me personally, I'm fine with this... But then again I'm a scoring winger. I can see how this is annoying to some, but seriously there are so many things that need fixing more than this, like the EASHL search engine (I'll bring this up in every message until EA adresses it).
  • Just shut up and throw me a good breakout pass once in a while
  • EVerk81 wrote: »
    Just shut up and throw me a good breakout pass once in a while
    I will when you start back checking and leaving us defenders out to dry ... oh and when you start passing to the point in the offensive zone. Only then will I gift you one of my super sexy breakout passes with aim assist.
  • EVerk81 wrote: »
    Just shut up and throw me a good breakout pass once in a while
    I will when you start back checking and leaving us defenders out to dry ... oh and when you start passing to the point in the offensive zone. Only then will I gift you one of my super sexy breakout passes with aim assist.

I back check only if I'm in better position to cut off the 3rd man in than the C...Other than that I save my energy and sort've just glide back into the d-zone and wait for dummies to throw the puck to point :)
  • I do feel for you defenders out there though. You ask any of my boys who play D and I feed them the puck as often as I can...so they can slap shot it into the player in front of them and have the puck bounce the other way for a breakaway..60% of the time, this happens every time
  • [/quote]

Maybe you should try to pass back to your D only if you know they'll have a clear shot to the net or a relatively good chance of getting it on net. Also perhaps your D needs to make better decisions on when and how to shoot the puck towards/on net.

"60% of the time, this happens every time."

Well which is it? 60% or 100% of the time?

[/quote]

Depends who's playing D. Seldomnly have I ever met a D-man that can make a heads-up play when they get the puck on offense, but I like to let them try :)