EA Forums - Banner

Goalie play

ok So played my first goalie game. good positioning Good rebound control first period 6 goals on 7 shots. not sure if there are more controls I'm missing. I feel like I was in the right position. Any other goalies think the same?

Replies

• LOL. Are you crazy? Don't start playing goalie in this game now, dude. It sucks shi.t. And they are continuing to nerf the goalies and make them worse.
    The EA devs are laughing at you right now. They don't give a shi.t about anyone on these boards.
  • Hi Gotub88

Also just played my first online competitive game as a goalie this morning. I did ok, we won 6-5 in overtime. Let in 5 goals on 29 (I think, don't have PS4 on right now) and there were a few I know I could have done better.

I let a wraparound in and I could have moved post-to-post quicker and was too aggressive on a breakaway and the guy totally burnt me.

Where I struggled was covering the puck. I have this on manual and I let two goals in where I'd made the initial save and hit triangle, the puck was right there and I was screaming at him to cover it but he just did his hungry hippo impression and the puck was poked in. How did you find it? Do you have cover on manual or auto?

sleepyT - yeah, its not perfect, I guess I'm still enjoying it (albeit mostly in Be a pro) but that was a fun drop in game on EASHL. I might agree with you if my next game goes badly wrong lol

• I have found as a goalie the biggest issue I was having was with using my Left Trigger in conjunction with Left Bumper. Basically using control while trying to hug.

My work around involved (Xbox one elite controller with paddles) going into my Xbox controller settings and binding the Upper Right Paddle to Left Bumper. Then I bound Upper Left Paddle to Y. Simple as that... use which ever Paddle you prefer for them and voila should make controlling coming off the post and snapping on to it much more controllable as well as covering the puck if you play with auto cover turned off.
  • KumichoOyabun
    12 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Here is a picture.

Edit: not sure if you can see picture I am not seeing it from my phone.
  • KumichoOyabun
    12 posts Member
    edited November 2016

Here is a photo of my bindings and Paddle size/location

I also went with the short throw on my Left Trigger
    Post edited by KumichoOyabun on
  • KumichoOyabun
    12 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Edit: double post I can not see pictures so I do not know if it is displayed
  • Edit: double post I can not see pictures so I do not know if it is displayed

Hi thanks for the reply, no, no picture showing though.
  • GChris24mook
    238 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    To post a picture:

(insertyourlinkherefromcopyandpaste)

Example:

16ce037f-646d-41c8-99d1-e9e68caff5af

I inserted this: http://xboxclips.com/MookStunna/screenshots/16ce037f-646d-41c8-99d1-e9e68caff5af
    between the IMG brackets.

You cannot pull vids and pics like this from xbox.com. Hence, this site instead.

:thumbs:

EDIT: Who broke this feature? I don't see the picture that *should* be there.
    This is how I've been posting pics on forums since before most of you had the ability to hold a controller.
  • SilentCricket26
    97 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    If you are playing EASHL drop ins as a goalie. Remember this. Play to 10. If you play to 10 instead of 1-0 you'll be better off. Most average drop in games have about 10 goals. Sometimes it's due to poor goalie play but 90% of it is just flat out terrible team defense. Odd man rushes, breakaways, Shorthanded goals and power play goals. These goals are a direct result of bad players doing their own thing. None of which the goalie should be counted on to stop 100% of the time. Yet there are games were you could face a handful of these scenarios in a period. All you can do is keep trying to stop a few of them and save the long wrist and slap shots. Skaters decide the majority of the high scoring games. Not the goalie. You could go 3-2 W one game and go 4-6 L the next. I've had multiple games of 15+ Gs scored in a game. Yet they too are close and competitive. As a goalie you need to understand that you rely on skaters way more than they believe you should. A skater needs to care about a Goalies GAA than his Gs or As in order to have good solid games. Unfortunately skaters do not care about the GAA but more about themselves. So you will constantly have these high scoring games. Plus, add 2 EA goals into the equation. Goals you should have saved or did save but somehow the puck had eyes where it shouldnt have. Goalie is a roller coaster ride and the skaters are the tracks.
  • I couldn't agree more with the above poster. In drop in, I have more losses than wins and a GAA of 4.6. I just joined a club where the guys in front of me play D instead of leaving me out to dry. GAA around 3 and a 10 and 3 record in div 1.

Playing goal in this game is hard. That's why everyone doesn't do it. Playing with good skaters makes it easier and less frustrating.
  • Out of 100 matches I've played vs a human goalie, maybe twice I've been impressed with their goaltending. Other than that it's like the OP said, 7 goals on 8 shots.

My clubs goalie(s) have a gaa of over 5.00 and a save % around 0.625. We still play with human goalies when they're around for the simple fact that it's more fun (I guess) to score 6-10 goals a game than it is to score 2-3.
  • It sound like finding a team is the way to go. Only reason I haven't is worrying about not being stellar and not having a regular schedule to find time to get on the PS4.

• SepiDN
    43 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Well you guys should watch some youtube videos on how to be a goaltender in NHL17.
    Between the pipes(?) is a great example.

I'm averaging 80-82% save % against the top teams in the world but you do need a solid defense in order to obtain that. Great goalies are around 75-85 when playing 6vs6 games. GAA is around 2.5

Drop ins do not measure your goaltending skills since there's usually no defense at all.
    Post edited by SepiDN on
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    SepiDN wrote: »
    Well you guys should watch some youtube videos on how to be a goaltender in NHL17.
    Between the pipes(?) is a great example.

I'm averaging 80-82% save % against the top teams in the world but you do need a solid defense in order to obtain that. Great goalies are around 75-85 when playing 6vs6 games. GAA is around 2.5

Drop ins do not measure your goaltending skills since there's usually no defense at all.

That's incorrect. There are about 3-4 goalies with over 400 games and a GAA under 3.00 and if you look at their stats a little further, you'll notice that (for the most part) they have a very high DNF rate and their shots against average about 10 per game. The average GAA for goalies online is closer to 4.50 and the S% is around .720 for about 15 shots per game.

I'm top 10 in Drop-ins right now with a GAA of 4.30 and S% of .783 with a shot per game average of just under 15. This is after about 430 games.
  • So I decided after the post to try it again. I had a great game. Still lost just by one goal but I get the controls much better. So my next question is about positioning. I felt I was in the right position for one and it went under my arm, is that just a great shot or can you actually save that?
  • You can save those by getting your body in front of it more. That goal is generated by your body being closer to the puck than your blocker or glove. So you either need to move a bit more to your left for a body save or stay slightly to the right and allow yourself to make a full glove save.
  • Gotub88 wrote: »
    So I decided after the post to try it again. I had a great game. Still lost just by one goal but I get the controls much better. So my next question is about positioning. I felt I was in the right position for one and it went under my arm, is that just a great shot or can you actually save that?

Well, as a goalie you can't always save everything, in this video game and in real life. But as long as you are in good position, you should save most of the shots that come your way.