EA Forums - Banner

Made switch to Rocket League

My goodness the level of fun I'm having compared to NHL couldn't be more opposite. No terrible servers, AI, physics are amazing, full control of car, never feel CHEATED.

Replies

• What are you, new to gaming? Practically every game is fun for the first month or so. Play it every day for a month and we'll see if you are still having fun. I got bored of rocket league in about that time. Maybe it'll take you a little longer.
  • Not trying to take anything away from Rocket League as it's a great game, but it's not really a fair point of comparison in all aspects when one game tries to simulate a highly dynamic real team sport and the other gets to make all its own rules. I know Rocket League is full of little things to master, but at its core it's far simpler with fewer variables at play than NHL. This makes its gameplay less susceptible to some of the problems you see with NHL.

This doesn't really excuse NHL carrying a lot of its issues over from god knows how many past installment at this point. It also doesn't excuse the horrible servers, which to me are the greatest problem with the entire NHL franchise of video games. I'm glad you're having fun with Rocket League, but for me it is no real alternative to hockey, so I'll just keep putting up with what we have. Besides, I honestly feel like the small NHL dev team has done a lot of things right, so I can't sit here and say everything to do with NHL 17 is wrong. It's just bogged down by the servers and a bunch of gameplay issues, but mainly the former to me. It's also frustratingly difficult to match up sometimes, but I'm sure that's largely on the small 6v6 player pool here in Europe.
  • The new motto of EA NHL should be "Small dev team, Big price tag!"
  • Also, Rocket League is a phenomenal game for all the reasons you mentioned. It doesn't replace hockey, but it's a much better game in its own right.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Yes you can troll in that too, cept its a valid strategy, and alot of fun. Patrolling the perimeter stealing boosts and blowing ******* up.

Guess i cant call it a good strategy, but i did win more games then i lost doing that....go Sweettooth!!
  • Janikka wrote: »
    Not trying to take anything away from Rocket League as it's a great game, but it's not really a fair point of comparison in all aspects when one game tries to simulate a highly dynamic real team sport and the other gets to make all its own rules. I know Rocket League is full of little things to master, but at its core it's far simpler with fewer variables at play than NHL. This makes its gameplay less susceptible to some of the problems you see with NHL.

This doesn't really excuse NHL carrying a lot of its issues over from god knows how many past installment at this point. It also doesn't excuse the horrible servers, which to me are the greatest problem with the entire NHL franchise of video games. I'm glad you're having fun with Rocket League, but for me it is no real alternative to hockey, so I'll just keep putting up with what we have. Besides, I honestly feel like the small NHL dev team has done a lot of things right, so I can't sit here and say everything to do with NHL 17 is wrong. It's just bogged down by the servers and a bunch of gameplay issues, but mainly the former to me. It's also frustratingly difficult to match up sometimes, but I'm sure that's largely on the small 6v6 player pool here in Europe.

You make somewhat fair points, however, the point was, Rocket League feels better and is consistent. NHL feels clunky, slow, and is by no means whatsoever, consistent. It is, to say the least, a frustrating experience. There is only 1 way NHL feels somewhat fun, and that is if you are the selfish dangling forward that wants to snipe for days. Other than that, boring and frustrating.
  • This again, eh?

People continuously make the Rocket League/NHL comparison for a few reasons: they are both team based games where the purpose is to put an object in the other team's net.

The major difference is that rocket league has taken more of a sandbox 'free moving' approach whereas NHL feels slow, constricted and scripted. There is less freedom when you play NHL both in the player movement and in positioning.

People feel more accomplished in a game like Rocket league where all of their movement decisions are made by themselves, whereas in NHL people feel like the game dictates a lot of their movements for them.
  • symmer1983 wrote: »
    This again, eh?

People continuously make the Rocket League/NHL comparison for a few reasons: they are both team based games where the purpose is to put an object in the other team's net.

The major difference is that rocket league has taken more of a sandbox 'free moving' approach whereas NHL feels slow, constricted and scripted. There is less freedom when you play NHL both in the player movement and in positioning.

People feel more accomplished in a game like Rocket league where all of their movement decisions are made by themselves, whereas in NHL people feel like the game dictates a lot of their movements for them.

That's the key right there; people feel more accomplished. They win or lose based on what THEY do and not what the game dictates for them. I haven't played RL so I can't really comment on how it is over there. I know I have NEVER in my life played a game where I had to fight the controls as much as I do in EVERY version of NHL since 13, and the PS4/ONE versions are ever worse than PS3/360.
  • symmer1983 wrote: »
    This again, eh?

That's the key right there; people feel more accomplished. They win or lose based on what THEY do and not what the game dictates for them. I haven't played RL so I can't really comment on how it is over there. I know I have NEVER in my life played a game where I had to fight the controls as much as I do in EVERY version of NHL since 13, and the PS4/ONE versions are ever worse than PS3/360.

Exactly. I've never raged quit on RL because you know exactly why you lost. I can't get mad because unlike NHL... I don't have to play to manipulate the CPU, broken physics, terrible servers, fight terrible animations, fight auto animations like one touch dekes, and numerous other ridiculous things we deal with in this crap box of a game.

NHL = ZERO FUN
  • guacapoli wrote: »
    symmer1983 wrote: »
    This again, eh?

Exactly. I've never raged quit on RL because you know exactly why you lost. I can't get mad because unlike NHL... I don't have to play to manipulate the CPU, broken physics, terrible servers, fight terrible animations, fight auto animations like one touch dekes, and numerous other ridiculous things we deal with in this **** box of a game.

NHL = ZERO FUN

Sometimes I wish XBOX would do one of the pre-TPS NHL games on backwards compatibility, just to give us another game option. EA would have to be on board to make sure the online works and that we had current rosters. Not saying this would be the cure-all but it would surely be a "change of scenery" in the least.
  • Glad to see I'm not the only one who is disappointed in this game. I definitely enjoy Rocket League. EA needs to start from scratch, because this just isn't working. EASHL is horrendous. I want to smash my controller everytime I played. (I am no longer playing, waste of time). Maybe see some of ya'll on Rocket League!
  • EA won't let me play their NHL games on my platform of choice. That said Rocket League is an awesome game in it's own right. You have futbol, "hockey", basketball, rumble (for the lols), drop shot (block breaker esque) So many different options for any mood you might be in. Plus you can play it with friends on any platform, sure you can't have a cross platform party but get enough friends and make a private game and they can join no problem. I could even have an Xbox and PS player join me on PC in one server, can your NHL do that?