• Assisted_6 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Assisted_6 wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Workin_OT wrote: »
    I've said it before, control and FEEL are the most important aspects of every video game ever made. You can make the best game ever made but if it FEELS bad to control it is all for naught.

17 is a better game than 12. This game will never take off and realize it's potential until they fix the bad FEELING control.

The control and FEEL is the only reason why people look back at the older games with rose coloured glasses.

Until they get truly good control and FEEL back, for the entire game and not just a few aspects of it, the masses simply won't enjoy it for long periods of time/get addicted to it/etc..

It isn't just the skating, although I agree that's a big part of why the game feels off. It's also the woefully inconsistent and often stupid AI, and the inconsistent physics (puck bouncing off skate at one moment, going through skate at the next). All these things take control away from the user, and make him feel like it's the CPU that's deciding outcomes, rather than the players.

Bold Part: THIS irks me the most. I'll use my Game clock example again, Don't **** get how my poke check works to perfection at 13:23 but then at 13:03 (a mere 20sec later) it does NOT...what gives EA? Either it should work ALL the Time or NONE of the Time...you need to make up your **** mind and pick a direction to go and stick with it.

So true. Pass interceptions, stick lifts, poke checks, losing it in skates, missed nets, hitting the post, goalie robberies, hitting, it's all so inconsistent. What rewards you one time simply does not work while in the exact same situation the next time and that's a recipe for disaster

You just described what real hockey is.
    Are you sure hockey is the right game for you? :)

You just don't get it, and how you were ever picked as a game changer is beyond me. Apparently you think it's ok that you can intercept a puck while being perfectly in the lane reading a CC pass, then the next time they try the same thing and it goes through your stick and they score. Relying on complete RNG when putting yourself in a position and doing everything you possibly can to stop something but getting punished anyways Is why this game ****. Please just accept your hut packs and early copy of the game and just keep your mouth shut when ea asks your opinion about anything. Thanks

Lol
    I know the kind of ignorant/selfcentric people like you, so you cant insult me.
    Obviously Im not there to "change" the game for the likings of the type of gamers like you. Actually exactly opposite.

Cheers.

Oh so in this thread it's pretty much a general agreement between almost everybody in here except you. So you saying you aren't there to change the game for gamers like me is essentially you saying you aren't there to change the game for the clear majority of the community that you are there to apparently represent. Good to know

Have you been miss readin all the posts ? Some want more realism and a more realistic, flawless skating engine.

You want NHL12 skating back.

Sorry I forgot. You and COGS

I suggest you take your tunnel goggles off, then go back and read these posts in YOUR thread from the following:

@TherealDJNEO
    @strategg101
    @operatorasfnck
    @Bmh245
    @Santini3
    @BSDShoes
    @joefitz22
    @Stovetop9620
    @HoodHoppers
    @VeNOM2099

You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    People that play this game have a HUGE say in how the game is developed. NHL 17 sold about 500 000 copies up to now (according to video game sales charts) on both consoles. Now even if there are 15K users playing EASHL and another 10K users playing HUT for a total of 25k users, on each console, that still only accounts for 50 000 people that purchased this game.

That means the other 450 000 people are likely playing the game offline most of the time. Even though I play ONLINE most of the time, that doesn't mean I believe their opinions don't count.

Simulation should mean that the game tries to emulate as closely as possible, the sport it's representing. NHL 17 looks like hockey, sounds like hockey (well... It does if you mute Doc and Eddie! ), but it doesn't really play like hockey. There are still too many things that don't make sense and I'm not just talking about glitches and bugs.

I'm talking about some of the gameplay and design decisions, like allowing forwards to have unfair advantages over defensive players. I mean like goalies having fewer customization options than skaters. Like dumbing down the AI to cater to HUT cry babies.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but NBA 2K develops their games the RIGHT way: the game is built from the ground up using realism at it's base. They use 12 minute quarters with settings and sliders to best mimic the real NBA. And then they allow the users to dumb down the gameplay if they want to via presets and custom sliders/settings. Out of the box the game comes with "balanced" presets. If you want more arcade, you put everything to arcade if you want to play NBA JAM style. Or if you want full sim, you put the sliders to FULL SIMULATION with 12 minute quarters and you don't have to worry about scores and stats at the end of games looking crazy unrealistic.

That's how NHL should be done.

That's some pretty sketchy math there. To start with, there are also VS and other online modes, and even more than that, you can be an online only player and not be on every day or perhaps ever during peak times. Not only that, but just because you're not playing online, you're not necessarily playing offline. You might have just quit the game entirely too.

There's absolutely nothing to back up your stats, so they are completely useless and irrelevant. I don't mean to make any guesses at the online/offline populations myself, but yours are completely invalid.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=nhl+17

You can do the math yourself if you feel like, but nowhere did I claim to have accurate numbers. I'm using "ballpark" figures here, but knowing that you'll find the most amount of users in EASHL (drop-ins and clubs combined) of about 10K users at any one time. The 2nd most important grouping of online players is HUT and VS with just over half the amount of people as in EASHL (so 5K users?). The rest of the online modes see such few numbers, that it would be better to included them as a footnote or part of the total number of online players for the other modes.... If you can find more than 100 users playing Online Shootout, please let me know. :tongue:

That said, let's be generous and say that there are 100K users playing NHL 17 online, just on Xbox One. That still leaves, according to the sales charts, over HALF of the users playing the game offline. Can you agree with that?

All I'm saying is that offline players should have a voice too. Many of them play this game by themselves in Franchise or they play with friends causally because they love hockey just as much as online players do. As such, many of the things ONLINE players want to see changed, like the dumbing down of the AI, greatly affects their play since THAT's all they get to play with. And telling them "well just play 6v6" doesn't make sense, nor does it make it better.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    I've said it before, control and FEEL are the most important aspects of every video game ever made. You can make the best game ever made but if it FEELS bad to control it is all for naught.

17 is a better game than 12. This game will never take off and realize it's potential until they fix the bad FEELING control.

The control and FEEL is the only reason why people look back at the older games with rose coloured glasses.

Until they get truly good control and FEEL back, for the entire game and not just a few aspects of it, the masses simply won't enjoy it for long periods of time/get addicted to it/etc..

It isn't just the skating, although I agree that's a big part of why the game feels off. It's also the woefully inconsistent and often stupid AI, and the inconsistent physics (puck bouncing off skate at one moment, going through skate at the next). All these things take control away from the user, and make him feel like it's the CPU that's deciding outcomes, rather than the players.

Bold Part: THIS irks me the most. I'll use my Game clock example again, Don't **** get how my poke check works to perfection at 13:23 but then at 13:03 (a mere 20sec later) it does NOT...what gives EA? Either it should work ALL the Time or NONE of the Time...you need to make up your **** mind and pick a direction to go and stick with it.

So true. Pass interceptions, stick lifts, poke checks, losing it in skates, missed nets, hitting the post, goalie robberies, hitting, it's all so inconsistent. What rewards you one time simply does not work while in the exact same situation the next time and that's a recipe for disaster

You just don't get it, and how you were ever picked as a game changer is beyond me. Apparently you think it's ok that you can intercept a puck while being perfectly in the lane reading a CC pass, then the next time they try the same thing and it goes through your stick and they score. Relying on complete RNG when putting yourself in a position and doing everything you possibly can to stop something but getting punished anyways Is why this game ****. Please just accept your hut packs and early copy of the game and just keep your mouth shut when ea asks your opinion about anything. Thanks

Lol
    Obviously Im not there to "change" the game for the likings of the type of gamers like you. Actually exactly opposite.

Cheers.

Oh so in this thread it's pretty much a general agreement between almost everybody in here except you. So you saying you aren't there to change the game for gamers like me is essentially you saying you aren't there to change the game for the clear majority of the community that you are there to apparently represent. Good to know

DJNeo was always an OFFLINE first guy. Even back in the days of NHL 2K, he was mostly interested in making sure the game played with everything tuned for maximum realism. Momentum skating, real stats, real minutes, everything. Obviously, that was mostly achievable OFFLINE.

Right now, he's a Gamechanger simply based off of that love of getting the game to play REALISTICALLY offline. He's the voice of everyone that plays NHL 17's franchise mode or Be a Pro offline and wants to be able to play the game using real camera angles, 20 minute periods and settings tuned to max simulation. And if the devs listen to only the people like you who are interested in HUT and VS (and EASHL), then everything HE's worked for goes up in smoke.

He didn't even WANT to be a Gamechanger at first. They had to insist and convince him on the premise that he could actually bring out changes, specifically to the way you could TUNE THE GAME OFFLINE to get him on board.

All those fabulous new sliders that go from 1-100? Those are there because of the suggestion of people like DJNeo who play this game offline. So the next time you open your big fat mouth to insult people's involvement in the program, how about you think less about YOURSELF and think about the COMMUNITY which, surprise-surprise, doesn't just include YOU sparky...

That's why DJNeo is a Gamechanger: because it's not just about what HE wants, it's about what changes he can bring about for the rest of the community that wants the same things as him.
  • sethamphetamines
    330 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    People that play this game have a HUGE say in how the game is developed. NHL 17 sold about 500 000 copies up to now (according to video game sales charts) on both consoles. Now even if there are 15K users playing EASHL and another 10K users playing HUT for a total of 25k users, on each console, that still only accounts for 50 000 people that purchased this game.

That means the other 450 000 people are likely playing the game offline most of the time. Even though I play ONLINE most of the time, that doesn't mean I believe their opinions don't count.

Simulation should mean that the game tries to emulate as closely as possible, the sport it's representing. NHL 17 looks like hockey, sounds like hockey (well... It does if you mute Doc and Eddie! ), but it doesn't really play like hockey. There are still too many things that don't make sense and I'm not just talking about glitches and bugs.

I'm talking about some of the gameplay and design decisions, like allowing forwards to have unfair advantages over defensive players. I mean like goalies having fewer customization options than skaters. Like dumbing down the AI to cater to HUT cry babies.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but NBA 2K develops their games the RIGHT way: the game is built from the ground up using realism at it's base. They use 12 minute quarters with settings and sliders to best mimic the real NBA. And then they allow the users to dumb down the gameplay if they want to via presets and custom sliders/settings. Out of the box the game comes with "balanced" presets. If you want more arcade, you put everything to arcade if you want to play NBA JAM style. Or if you want full sim, you put the sliders to FULL SIMULATION with 12 minute quarters and you don't have to worry about scores and stats at the end of games looking crazy unrealistic.

That's some pretty sketchy math there. To start with, there are also VS and other online modes, and even more than that, you can be an online only player and not be on every day or perhaps ever during peak times. Not only that, but just because you're not playing online, you're not necessarily playing offline. You might have just quit the game entirely too.

There's absolutely nothing to back up your stats, so they are completely useless and irrelevant. I don't mean to make any guesses at the online/offline populations myself, but yours are completely invalid.

You can do the math yourself if you feel like, but nowhere did I claim to have accurate numbers. I'm using "ballpark" figures here, but knowing that you'll find the most amount of users in EASHL (drop-ins and clubs combined) of about 10K users at any one time. The 2nd most important grouping of online players is HUT and VS with just over half the amount of people as in EASHL (so 5K users?). The rest of the online modes see such few numbers, that it would be better to included them as a footnote or part of the total number of online players for the other modes.... If you can find more than 100 users playing Online Shootout, please let me know. :tongue:

That said, let's be generous and say that there are 100K users playing NHL 17 online, just on Xbox One. That still leaves, according to the sales charts, over HALF of the users playing the game offline. Can you agree with that?

All I'm saying is that offline players should have a voice too. Many of them play this game by themselves in Franchise or they play with friends causally because they love hockey just as much as online players do. As such, many of the things ONLINE players want to see changed, like the dumbing down of the AI, greatly affects their play since THAT's all they get to play with. And telling them "well just play 6v6" doesn't make sense, nor does it make it better.

I'm sure EA has the numbers, at least of how many unique gamertags play the game daily/weekly/whatever. Outside of that, anything else is just wild speculation.

First, VG chartz is just a guess in itself. Their numbers are not accurate at all. These are also numbers only EA has, and they haven't made them public for several years as far as I know.

Since you can't guess how many total copies were sold, you have nothing to subtract online numbers from to figure out the offline population of the game. This also doesn't factor in people who bought the game and no longer play it (there's a few on my rather small friends list).

Finally, it is entirely possible (though we know highly unlikely) that when you see 15,000 people online and another 15,000 people online 30 minutes later, that it is 2 completely separate groups of people, 30,000 total, or it could be the exact same 15,000 people online at one time and again 5 hours later. There is no way to know how many unique people are playing daily just by looking at total population.

Basically, what you are trying to figure out is impossible with the information readily available to us.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

I'm sure EA has the numbers, at least of how many unique gamertags play the game daily/weekly/whatever. Outside of that, anything else is just wild speculation.

First, VG chartz is just a guess in itself. Their numbers are not accurate at all. These are also numbers only EA has, and they haven't made them public for several years as far as I know.

Since you can't guess how many total copies were sold, you have nothing to subtract online numbers from to figure out the offline population of the game. This also doesn't factor in people who bought the game and no longer play it (there's a few on my rather small friends list).

Finally, it is entirely possible (though we know highly unlikely) that when you see 15,000 people online and another 15,000 people online 30 minutes later, that it is 2 completely separate groups of people, 30,000 total, or it could be the exact same 15,000 people online at one time and again 5 hours later. There is no way to know how many unique people are playing daily just by looking at total population.

Basically, what you are trying to figure out is impossible with the information readily available to us.

Exactly. Posting any numbers other than the ones EA provides are just wrong, end of story. Just because I'm not playing a game online at peak times, does not mean that I'm playing offline modes ever. It's not even useful to guess at what these numbers are like because your only point of reference are the peak users reported in the online modes.

Even if I indulge you for a moment and we assume that 500,000 people bought a copy of NHL, you can't make any sort of educated guess of what people are doing with the game based on what they're not doing at a particular time. You're essentially trying to guess the number of people at their desk at work based on nothing but the number of people in the bathrooms at work.
  • Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:

This was in triple overtime in a game where we completely dominated the other team, yet we get screwed over by a stupid AI passing the puck through the crease for no reason, and a goalie who gets knocked out of position because the other team's forward is able to force our D into the net.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »

I have no problem with missed nets and hitting the post (except when it's the result of bad code). But the utter inconsistency in this game's physics is not "realistic" -- it's just inconsistent.

So here's a perfect, and infuriating, example of what I'm talking about when I say the game's physics aren't realistic -- they're just ridiculously inconsistent.

This clip is from a game I lost in OT (on the goal in the clip) after the typical yada yada yada -- outshooting the opponent 27-14, TOA 12:30 to 5:30, many more good scoring chances, etc. etc. Anyway, in 3v3 he forces a pass that my player reaches to deflect away, and this happens:

So the stick is in perfect position to knock the puck away, and instead the puck finds its way perfectly to the offensive player, who scores. And in any case you missed it in that first clip, here's how the puck manages to get through the stick:

That's right -- the stick vanishes beneath the ice for just long enough to let the puck through.

This isn't a glitch -- things like this happen regularly in the game. (In fact, if you look at the clips again, you'll see that the stick is still visible while it's under the ice, which means that someone at EA actually wrote code that allows the stick to go under the ice.) But lots of times, they don't happen -- instead, the defensive player extends his stick and knocks the puck away. And that's what makes this game's physics so maddening -- there is no consistency to them. As players, we are basically at the mercy of the CPU, asking ourselves "Will it decide to make my stick vanish beneath the ice this time, or will it let me knock the puck away, which I'm in position to do?" And that's a terrible way for a video game to work. Video games, ultimately, are about control. This game's physics take control away from players all over the ice.

I have no problem with missed nets and hitting the post (except when it's the result of bad code). But the utter inconsistency in this game's physics is not "realistic" -- it's just inconsistent.

So here's a perfect, and infuriating, example of what I'm talking about when I say the game's physics aren't realistic -- they're just ridiculously inconsistent.

This clip is from a game I lost in OT (on the goal in the clip) after the typical yada yada yada -- outshooting the opponent 27-14, TOA 12:30 to 5:30, many more good scoring chances, etc. etc. Anyway, in 3v3 he forces a pass that my player reaches to deflect away, and this happens:

So the stick is in perfect position to knock the puck away, and instead the puck finds its way perfectly to the offensive player, who scores. And in any case you missed it in that first clip, here's how the puck manages to get through the stick:

That's right -- the stick vanishes beneath the ice for just long enough to let the puck through.

This isn't a glitch -- things like this happen regularly in the game. (In fact, if you look at the clips again, you'll see that the stick is still visible while it's under the ice, which means that someone at EA actually wrote code that allows the stick to go under the ice.) But lots of times, they don't happen -- instead, the defensive player extends his stick and knocks the puck away. And that's what makes this game's physics so maddening -- there is no consistency to them. As players, we are basically at the mercy of the CPU, asking ourselves "Will it decide to make my stick vanish beneath the ice this time, or will it let me knock the puck away, which I'm in position to do?" And that's a terrible way for a video game to work. Video games, ultimately, are about control. This game's physics take control away from players all over the ice.

Well. Better luck next time haha
  • Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:

This was in triple overtime in a game where we completely dominated the other team, yet we get screwed over by a stupid AI passing the puck through the crease for no reason, and a goalie who gets knocked out of position because the other team's forward is able to force our D into the net.

Tap, tap, tap? or no?

Tap, tap, tap? or no?

You can see Blue doing it.......lol.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:

Tap, tap, tap? or no?

You really can't though, because it didn't happen. Nobody called for the pass

Tap, tap, tap? or no?

I can! The only reason a bot would one touch the puck like that, is when someone calls for it.

The BOTS NEVER ONE TOUCH THE PUCK

Tap, tap, tap? or no?

I can! The only reason a bot would one touch the puck like that, is when someone calls for it.

They sure did. Or perhaps we should watch it again frame by frame:

That's a turn, and you're a clown.

Tap, tap, tap? or no?

You can see buddies stick hit the ice and look where the puck is going, exactly towards his stick!

6qjp0m.jpg

Tap, tap, tap? or no?

You can see buddies stick hit the ice and look where the puck is going, exactly towards his stick!

6qjp0m.jpg

No **** the pass was going to blue, but he didn't call for it, he made a turn at a slow speed and the game put his stick blade on the ice so he would be ready for a pass. This is the dumbest thing you've ever tried to argue on this forum.

Tap, tap, tap? or no?

6qjp0m.jpg

Since when is that animation tied to a player who is calling for the puck? Also anytime I've ever seen anybody call for the puck there is an audio cue which doesn't happen in that video. The AI is just bad, and Cogs just likes to argue for the sake of arguing what else is new
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Lol

Cheers.

DJNeo was always an OFFLINE first guy. Even back in the days of NHL 2K, he was mostly interested in making sure the game played with everything tuned for maximum realism. Momentum skating, real stats, real minutes, everything. Obviously, that was mostly achievable OFFLINE.

Right now, he's a Gamechanger simply based off of that love of getting the game to play REALISTICALLY offline. He's the voice of everyone that plays NHL 17's franchise mode or Be a Pro offline and wants to be able to play the game using real camera angles, 20 minute periods and settings tuned to max simulation. And if the devs listen to only the people like you who are interested in HUT and VS (and EASHL), then everything HE's worked for goes up in smoke.

He didn't even WANT to be a Gamechanger at first. They had to insist and convince him on the premise that he could actually bring out changes, specifically to the way you could TUNE THE GAME OFFLINE to get him on board.

All those fabulous new sliders that go from 1-100? Those are there because of the suggestion of people like DJNeo who play this game offline. So the next time you open your big fat mouth to insult people's involvement in the program, how about you think less about YOURSELF and think about the COMMUNITY which, surprise-surprise, doesn't just include YOU sparky...

That's why DJNeo is a Gamechanger: because it's not just about what HE wants, it's about what changes he can bring about for the rest of the community that wants the same things as him.

Thanks Venom :)
    Appreciate your words.
  • I actually agreed with Cogs, looks like he tapped. However, I slowed the other video down to .25 speed, and the stick doesn't bounce and stays consistent on the ice. He legit did not call for the pass. I could have sworn I saw him do it on regular pace but that stick doesn't go up and down.

I was ready to type "Wow, I agree with Cogs for once"

This is the type of **** that happens all of the time that makes me believe in artificial balancing. This game is programmed to give the weaker player an advantage. It's not a coincidence that so many players who out shoot, out play via TOA, winning faceoffs by more than 75% STILL lose while clearly being the better player. This players stick when through the ice for just long enough for the puck to go on to his opponents stick, that's absolutely ridiculous and shows how much of a joke this game is when looking at it in a competitive way. People always say 'oh yeah, post video proof' I've seen so much evidence similar to these clips and EA has done nothing except make it worse with NHL17. I really wish 2K would take a crack at NHL, I'd leave so fast ! I haven't even played 17 in over 1 week.

Tap, tap, tap? or no?

6qjp0m.jpg

No **** the pass was going to blue, but he didn't call for it, he made a turn at a slow speed and the game put his stick blade on the ice so he would be ready for a pass. This is the dumbest thing you've ever tried to argue on this forum.

Quite the bold statement there lol. I beg to differ LMFAO.