EA Forums - Banner

The reason this game is in a bad place

Replies

  • I actually agreed with Cogs, looks like he tapped. However, I slowed the other video down to .25 speed, and the stick doesn't bounce and stays consistent on the ice. He legit did not call for the pass. I could have sworn I saw him do it on regular pace but that stick doesn't go up and down.

    I was ready to type "Wow, I agree with Cogs for once"

    Yea, I didn't just post some video without thinking to check if my teammate called for the puck. I totally understand needing to be skeptical of what people post, but there's no evidence that blue called for it, and I'm pretty sure the first words blue said after that happened were something along the lines of "Why the **** did he just pass to me?"
  • Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:


    This was in triple overtime in a game where we completely dominated the other team, yet we get screwed over by a stupid AI passing the puck through the crease for no reason, and a goalie who gets knocked out of position because the other team's forward is able to force our D into the net.


    Look at that stupid AI by golly Joe, I'll be danged


    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:


    This was in triple overtime in a game where we completely dominated the other team, yet we get screwed over by a stupid AI passing the puck through the crease for no reason, and a goalie who gets knocked out of position because the other team's forward is able to force our D into the net.


    Look at that stupid AI by golly Joe, I'll be danged



    Yea, let's just ignore that time you tried to say I called for it. What ever happened to "BOTS NEVER ONE TOUCH THE PUCK"??? Maybe you should admit you were wrong like a man.

    68090768.jpg


    Awesome point though that HUMANS make mistakes, even really bad ones. Yet another great example of why we don't need the game introducing additional errors. Thanks for helping to build my own case for me about why the game shouldn't be doing things like having AI make grave errors, or having the engine simulate mistakes by letting pucks go through players.

    Every time you post a video of how a human made a mistake in hockey in real life, you're showing exactly why I'm right. It's actually quite hilarious. Please keep posting. Humans make plenty of mistakes, so maybe we should have those mistakes be the deciding factor in these games.
  • The funny thing is, I know COGS rages at this game as much as anyone because his record is not even very good. He wins about 60-65% of his games.

    Cogs, you can't tell me you don't get **** at the wonks, bubbles, skating, and all the other junk when you lose a good chunk of your games.
  • The funny thing is, I know COGS rages at this game as much as anyone because his record is not even very good. He wins about 60-65% of his games.

    Cogs, you can't tell me you don't get **** off at the wonks, bubbles, skating, and all the other junk when you lose a good chunk of your games.

    Not everyone rages at video games, eh bud? o:)
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    The funny thing is, I know COGS rages at this game as much as anyone because his record is not even very good. He wins about 60-65% of his games.

    Cogs, you can't tell me you don't get **** off at the wonks, bubbles, skating, and all the other junk when you lose a good chunk of your games.

    Not everyone rages at video games, eh bud? o:)

    Right ;)
  • cogsx86
    787 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    The funny thing is, I know COGS rages at this game as much as anyone because his record is not even very good. He wins about 60-65% of his games.

    Cogs, you can't tell me you don't get **** off at the wonks, bubbles, skating, and all the other junk when you lose a good chunk of your games.

    What do you mean rages ? You mean when I get goals scored against me because I was out of position ? Or goals that were scored on the powerplay against me because I took a penalty ? or the breakaway goals that get scored on me because I was being very aggressive in the offensive zone with my D man ? Do you mean when I turn over the puck in my own end which results in getting scored against ?

    Ya Im not a perfect player, but I dont BLAME the game for my screw ups, I own up and recognize when I make mistakes, thats really the only way to get better.

    I dont understand why your creepin bruh ? Sitting in the 350 range, thats not really bad.

    Do you wanna add me so we can play ? I dont bite COGSx86 lets play.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:


    This was in triple overtime in a game where we completely dominated the other team, yet we get screwed over by a stupid AI passing the puck through the crease for no reason, and a goalie who gets knocked out of position because the other team's forward is able to force our D into the net.


    Look at that stupid AI by golly Joe, I'll be danged



    Yea, let's just ignore that time you tried to say I called for it. What ever happened to "BOTS NEVER ONE TOUCH THE PUCK"??? Maybe you should admit you were wrong like a man.

    68090768.jpg


    Awesome point though that HUMANS make mistakes, even really bad ones. Yet another great example of why we don't need the game introducing additional errors. Thanks for helping to build my own case for me about why the game shouldn't be doing things like having AI make grave errors, or having the engine simulate mistakes by letting pucks go through players.

    Every time you post a video of how a human made a mistake in hockey in real life, you're showing exactly why I'm right. It's actually quite hilarious. Please keep posting. Humans make plenty of mistakes, so maybe we should have those mistakes be the deciding factor in these games.

    Ok I confess, I dont know if anyone called for the puck, and the AI put the puck in his own net.

    But back to this thread, your missing the point in this thread, Assisit_6 wants the game to less realistic and more arcady.

    You want the game to be more realistic, as do I. To take steps back and start over wont work, if you think about it, it took 3-4 years to get where we are now, what happens if EA starts from ground zero ?



    Anyways you know its funny when I seen this clip, I thought about you and your videos about rebounds.

    You get upset of the fact, when you can do the same shot in practice over and over and the same result happens, but you want more consistency in other areas of the game.

    So which is it more, consistency or more randomness ?

    Lets use an example Phi Kessel: Phil, likes to come down the ice and take wrist shots all game, he will average 3.4 shots a game(last year) from the half wall on his forehand. He might only score 30-35 goals (24 last year) a season but he plays the full 82 game season ( 274 shots last year). So if you want consistency how then does EA manage this statistic for shooting percentage ?

    Now lets take it further, because you guys talk about passes going through lanes and getting to guys sticks and you dont like this. Ok I understand this but no defensmen ever has been able to do this consistently, (except maybe Nicholas Lidstrom) players with different skills/attributes. Playmakers vs grinder, for example, who is more likely to make the pass right ?

    You guys are getting upset because the player made for passing is doing just that, passing and hitting those lanes.

    Another example is a 2-way forward who has a high passing attribute, so now not only does the player have a high passing attribute what about the actual person holding the controller using the 2-way forward. Doesnt it then come down to his ability to pass the puck ? His ability to find the lanes, when the defense-men is adjusting for example or leading his pass or saucing the pass ?

    At the same time the player on the other end who is making the pass might of been able to aim the pass so your player isnt able to stop it from going to his teammate, as he cuts to the net.



    Look I will tell you why people are getting upset with the game, is because its tougher players have to be more accountable. In better position defensively, stop forcing passes, shooting the pucks more. This game has come close to the most realistic its been. Is it realistic, of course not, is it better then 16 for realism ? 15, 14, 13 etc ?

    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:


    This was in triple overtime in a game where we completely dominated the other team, yet we get screwed over by a stupid AI passing the puck through the crease for no reason, and a goalie who gets knocked out of position because the other team's forward is able to force our D into the net.


    Look at that stupid AI by golly Joe, I'll be danged



    Yea, let's just ignore that time you tried to say I called for it. What ever happened to "BOTS NEVER ONE TOUCH THE PUCK"??? Maybe you should admit you were wrong like a man.

    68090768.jpg


    Awesome point though that HUMANS make mistakes, even really bad ones. Yet another great example of why we don't need the game introducing additional errors. Thanks for helping to build my own case for me about why the game shouldn't be doing things like having AI make grave errors, or having the engine simulate mistakes by letting pucks go through players.

    Every time you post a video of how a human made a mistake in hockey in real life, you're showing exactly why I'm right. It's actually quite hilarious. Please keep posting. Humans make plenty of mistakes, so maybe we should have those mistakes be the deciding factor in these games.

    Ok I confess, I dont know if anyone called for the puck, and the AI put the puck in his own net.

    But back to this thread, your missing the point in this thread, Assisit_6 wants the game to less realistic and more arcady.

    You want the game to be more realistic, as do I. To take steps back and start over wont work, if you think about it, it took 3-4 years to get where we are now, what happens if EA starts from ground zero ?



    Anyways you know its funny when I seen this clip, I thought about you and your videos about rebounds.

    You get upset of the fact, when you can do the same shot in practice over and over and the same result happens, but you want more consistency in other areas of the game.

    So which is it more, consistency or more randomness ?

    Lets use an example Phi Kessel: Phil, likes to come down the ice and take wrist shots all game, he will average 3.4 shots a game(last year) from the half wall on his forehand. He might only score 30-35 goals (24 last year) a season but he plays the full 82 game season ( 274 shots last year). So if you want consistency how then does EA manage this statistic for shooting percentage ?

    Now lets take it further, because you guys talk about passes going through lanes and getting to guys sticks and you dont like this. Ok I understand this but no defensmen ever has been able to do this consistently, (except maybe Nicholas Lidstrom) players with different skills/attributes. Playmakers vs grinder, for example, who is more likely to make the pass right ?

    You guys are getting upset because the player made for passing is doing just that, passing and hitting those lanes.

    Another example is a 2-way forward who has a high passing attribute, so now not only does the player have a high passing attribute what about the actual person holding the controller using the 2-way forward. Doesnt it then come down to his ability to pass the puck ? His ability to find the lanes, when the defense-men is adjusting for example or leading his pass or saucing the pass ?

    At the same time the player on the other end who is making the pass might of been able to aim the pass so your player isnt able to stop it from going to his teammate, as he cuts to the net.



    Look I will tell you why people are getting upset with the game, is because its tougher players have to be more accountable. In better position defensively, stop forcing passes, shooting the pucks more. This game has come close to the most realistic its been. Is it realistic, of course not, is it better then 16 for realism ? 15, 14, 13 etc ?

    1. Game is not fun
    2. And it handles like a two wheeled shopping cart
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:


    This was in triple overtime in a game where we completely dominated the other team, yet we get screwed over by a stupid AI passing the puck through the crease for no reason, and a goalie who gets knocked out of position because the other team's forward is able to force our D into the net.


    Look at that stupid AI by golly Joe, I'll be danged



    Yea, let's just ignore that time you tried to say I called for it. What ever happened to "BOTS NEVER ONE TOUCH THE PUCK"??? Maybe you should admit you were wrong like a man.

    68090768.jpg


    Awesome point though that HUMANS make mistakes, even really bad ones. Yet another great example of why we don't need the game introducing additional errors. Thanks for helping to build my own case for me about why the game shouldn't be doing things like having AI make grave errors, or having the engine simulate mistakes by letting pucks go through players.

    Every time you post a video of how a human made a mistake in hockey in real life, you're showing exactly why I'm right. It's actually quite hilarious. Please keep posting. Humans make plenty of mistakes, so maybe we should have those mistakes be the deciding factor in these games.

    Ok I confess, I dont know if anyone called for the puck, and the AI put the puck in his own net.

    But back to this thread, your missing the point in this thread, Assisit_6 wants the game to less realistic and more arcady.

    You want the game to be more realistic, as do I. To take steps back and start over wont work, if you think about it, it took 3-4 years to get where we are now, what happens if EA starts from ground zero ?



    Anyways you know its funny when I seen this clip, I thought about you and your videos about rebounds.

    You get upset of the fact, when you can do the same shot in practice over and over and the same result happens, but you want more consistency in other areas of the game.

    So which is it more, consistency or more randomness ?

    Lets use an example Phi Kessel: Phil, likes to come down the ice and take wrist shots all game, he will average 3.4 shots a game(last year) from the half wall on his forehand. He might only score 30-35 goals (24 last year) a season but he plays the full 82 game season ( 274 shots last year). So if you want consistency how then does EA manage this statistic for shooting percentage ?

    Now lets take it further, because you guys talk about passes going through lanes and getting to guys sticks and you dont like this. Ok I understand this but no defensmen ever has been able to do this consistently, (except maybe Nicholas Lidstrom) players with different skills/attributes. Playmakers vs grinder, for example, who is more likely to make the pass right ?

    You guys are getting upset because the player made for passing is doing just that, passing and hitting those lanes.

    Another example is a 2-way forward who has a high passing attribute, so now not only does the player have a high passing attribute what about the actual person holding the controller using the 2-way forward. Doesnt it then come down to his ability to pass the puck ? His ability to find the lanes, when the defense-men is adjusting for example or leading his pass or saucing the pass ?

    At the same time the player on the other end who is making the pass might of been able to aim the pass so your player isnt able to stop it from going to his teammate, as he cuts to the net.



    Look I will tell you why people are getting upset with the game, is because its tougher players have to be more accountable. In better position defensively, stop forcing passes, shooting the pucks more. This game has come close to the most realistic its been. Is it realistic, of course not, is it better then 16 for realism ? 15, 14, 13 etc ?

    I'll agree that the game consistently gives up rebounds from those shots. My problem is that those rebounds should only be consistent when taken closer to the net, or when using a slap shot, or with a screen, or maybe a few other scenarios. We're not talking about creating spiderman goalies here, we're talking about not rewarding teams for low effort plays with potential tap-in goals.

    I'm not sure what your point about Phil Kessel is though. Shooting percentage has never, and probably will never, be anything like what we see in real life. That's okay though. There are ways to tune this offline if your goal is to have the perfectly realistic season, but there's no need to introduce that into online modes. I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about an online mode having too high of a shooting %.

    As for defensemen intercepting passes, the problem is that I have no control over it. EA either needs to give me the control and responsibility for making the mistake (and forwards should need to use the same mechanic to accept a pass), or I need to not have it happen.

    Higher passing ratings should mean faster passes, more auto-aim to put passes into the lanes away from defenders, and allowing their teammates to perform receptions while losing less momentum. Every time they make a pass directly through a defender though, it should be punished with an interception because they made a bad decision. Higher passing should never mean that you have a higher chance of passing a puck directly through a defender in good position.

    Similarly, higher defensive awareness simply extends the range where your player is able to occasionally able to make interceptions. I think of it a bit like the damage field of a grenade. If that pass goes straight through me, that should be 100% failure regardless of the player types involved. There would be a couple of caveats that if you're shoulder to shoulder with a defender it shouldn't follow the same behavior because that would be silly, and manual saucer passes (no more auto-sauce plz) should have a small to moderate chance of going through a defender if they're from 5-15 feet away. No more 50 foot saucer passes at ankle height that defenders somehow forget how to block. Higher awareness makes me slightly more able to deflect passes that are further away, but doesn't make me some sort of spiderman defender.

    I'm upset with the game because defenders are getting **** by both sides right now. Not only does the skating engine make it more difficult to be in position to begin with, but even when you are in perfect position you still might let the puck go through your stick. What exactly am I being held accountable for? You can't hold someone accountable for something they have no control over.
  • ^^^ inb4 someone says you're wrong and that balance in this game doesn't matter because sometimes humans irl completely **** up and look like morons too.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:


    This was in triple overtime in a game where we completely dominated the other team, yet we get screwed over by a stupid AI passing the puck through the crease for no reason, and a goalie who gets knocked out of position because the other team's forward is able to force our D into the net.


    Look at that stupid AI by golly Joe, I'll be danged



    Yea, let's just ignore that time you tried to say I called for it. What ever happened to "BOTS NEVER ONE TOUCH THE PUCK"??? Maybe you should admit you were wrong like a man.

    68090768.jpg


    Awesome point though that HUMANS make mistakes, even really bad ones. Yet another great example of why we don't need the game introducing additional errors. Thanks for helping to build my own case for me about why the game shouldn't be doing things like having AI make grave errors, or having the engine simulate mistakes by letting pucks go through players.

    Every time you post a video of how a human made a mistake in hockey in real life, you're showing exactly why I'm right. It's actually quite hilarious. Please keep posting. Humans make plenty of mistakes, so maybe we should have those mistakes be the deciding factor in these games.

    Ok I confess, I dont know if anyone called for the puck, and the AI put the puck in his own net.

    But back to this thread, your missing the point in this thread, Assisit_6 wants the game to less realistic and more arcady.

    You want the game to be more realistic, as do I. To take steps back and start over wont work, if you think about it, it took 3-4 years to get where we are now, what happens if EA starts from ground zero ?



    Anyways you know its funny when I seen this clip, I thought about you and your videos about rebounds.

    You get upset of the fact, when you can do the same shot in practice over and over and the same result happens, but you want more consistency in other areas of the game.

    So which is it more, consistency or more randomness ?

    Lets use an example Phi Kessel: Phil, likes to come down the ice and take wrist shots all game, he will average 3.4 shots a game(last year) from the half wall on his forehand. He might only score 30-35 goals (24 last year) a season but he plays the full 82 game season ( 274 shots last year). So if you want consistency how then does EA manage this statistic for shooting percentage ?

    Now lets take it further, because you guys talk about passes going through lanes and getting to guys sticks and you dont like this. Ok I understand this but no defensmen ever has been able to do this consistently, (except maybe Nicholas Lidstrom) players with different skills/attributes. Playmakers vs grinder, for example, who is more likely to make the pass right ?

    You guys are getting upset because the player made for passing is doing just that, passing and hitting those lanes.

    Another example is a 2-way forward who has a high passing attribute, so now not only does the player have a high passing attribute what about the actual person holding the controller using the 2-way forward. Doesnt it then come down to his ability to pass the puck ? His ability to find the lanes, when the defense-men is adjusting for example or leading his pass or saucing the pass ?

    At the same time the player on the other end who is making the pass might of been able to aim the pass so your player isnt able to stop it from going to his teammate, as he cuts to the net.



    Look I will tell you why people are getting upset with the game, is because its tougher players have to be more accountable. In better position defensively, stop forcing passes, shooting the pucks more. This game has come close to the most realistic its been. Is it realistic, of course not, is it better then 16 for realism ? 15, 14, 13 etc ?

    I'll agree that the game consistently gives up rebounds from those shots. My problem is that those rebounds should only be consistent when taken closer to the net, or when using a slap shot, or with a screen, or maybe a few other scenarios. We're not talking about creating spiderman goalies here, we're talking about not rewarding teams for low effort plays with potential tap-in goals.

    I'm not sure what your point about Phil Kessel is though. Shooting percentage has never, and probably will never, be anything like what we see in real life. That's okay though. There are ways to tune this offline if your goal is to have the perfectly realistic season, but there's no need to introduce that into online modes. I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about an online mode having too high of a shooting %.

    As for defensemen intercepting passes, the problem is that I have no control over it. EA either needs to give me the control and responsibility for making the mistake (and forwards should need to use the same mechanic to accept a pass), or I need to not have it happen.

    Higher passing ratings should mean faster passes, more auto-aim to put passes into the lanes away from defenders, and allowing their teammates to perform receptions while losing less momentum. Every time they make a pass directly through a defender though, it should be punished with an interception because they made a bad decision. Higher passing should never mean that you have a higher chance of passing a puck directly through a defender in good position.

    Similarly, higher defensive awareness simply extends the range where your player is able to occasionally able to make interceptions. I think of it a bit like the damage field of a grenade. If that pass goes straight through me, that should be 100% failure regardless of the player types involved. There would be a couple of caveats that if you're shoulder to shoulder with a defender it shouldn't follow the same behavior because that would be silly, and manual saucer passes (no more auto-sauce plz) should have a small to moderate chance of going through a defender if they're from 5-15 feet away. No more 50 foot saucer passes at ankle height that defenders somehow forget how to block. Higher awareness makes me slightly more able to deflect passes that are further away, but doesn't make me some sort of spiderman defender.

    I'm upset with the game because defenders are getting **** by both sides right now. Not only does the skating engine make it more difficult to be in position to begin with, but even when you are in perfect position you still might let the puck go through your stick. What exactly am I being held accountable for? You can't hold someone accountable for something they have no control over.

    +1
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Every day, there's a new clip to show some of the major problems in this game:


    This was in triple overtime in a game where we completely dominated the other team, yet we get screwed over by a stupid AI passing the puck through the crease for no reason, and a goalie who gets knocked out of position because the other team's forward is able to force our D into the net.


    Look at that stupid AI by golly Joe, I'll be danged



    Yea, let's just ignore that time you tried to say I called for it. What ever happened to "BOTS NEVER ONE TOUCH THE PUCK"??? Maybe you should admit you were wrong like a man.

    68090768.jpg


    Awesome point though that HUMANS make mistakes, even really bad ones. Yet another great example of why we don't need the game introducing additional errors. Thanks for helping to build my own case for me about why the game shouldn't be doing things like having AI make grave errors, or having the engine simulate mistakes by letting pucks go through players.

    Every time you post a video of how a human made a mistake in hockey in real life, you're showing exactly why I'm right. It's actually quite hilarious. Please keep posting. Humans make plenty of mistakes, so maybe we should have those mistakes be the deciding factor in these games.

    Ok I confess, I dont know if anyone called for the puck, and the AI put the puck in his own net.

    But back to this thread, your missing the point in this thread, Assisit_6 wants the game to less realistic and more arcady.

    You want the game to be more realistic, as do I. To take steps back and start over wont work, if you think about it, it took 3-4 years to get where we are now, what happens if EA starts from ground zero ?



    Anyways you know its funny when I seen this clip, I thought about you and your videos about rebounds.

    You get upset of the fact, when you can do the same shot in practice over and over and the same result happens, but you want more consistency in other areas of the game.

    So which is it more, consistency or more randomness ?

    Lets use an example Phi Kessel: Phil, likes to come down the ice and take wrist shots all game, he will average 3.4 shots a game(last year) from the half wall on his forehand. He might only score 30-35 goals (24 last year) a season but he plays the full 82 game season ( 274 shots last year). So if you want consistency how then does EA manage this statistic for shooting percentage ?

    Now lets take it further, because you guys talk about passes going through lanes and getting to guys sticks and you dont like this. Ok I understand this but no defensmen ever has been able to do this consistently, (except maybe Nicholas Lidstrom) players with different skills/attributes. Playmakers vs grinder, for example, who is more likely to make the pass right ?

    You guys are getting upset because the player made for passing is doing just that, passing and hitting those lanes.

    Another example is a 2-way forward who has a high passing attribute, so now not only does the player have a high passing attribute what about the actual person holding the controller using the 2-way forward. Doesnt it then come down to his ability to pass the puck ? His ability to find the lanes, when the defense-men is adjusting for example or leading his pass or saucing the pass ?

    At the same time the player on the other end who is making the pass might of been able to aim the pass so your player isnt able to stop it from going to his teammate, as he cuts to the net.



    Look I will tell you why people are getting upset with the game, is because its tougher players have to be more accountable. In better position defensively, stop forcing passes, shooting the pucks more. This game has come close to the most realistic its been. Is it realistic, of course not, is it better then 16 for realism ? 15, 14, 13 etc ?

    I'll agree that the game consistently gives up rebounds from those shots. My problem is that those rebounds should only be consistent when taken closer to the net, or when using a slap shot, or with a screen, or maybe a few other scenarios. We're not talking about creating spiderman goalies here, we're talking about not rewarding teams for low effort plays with potential tap-in goals.

    I'm not sure what your point about Phil Kessel is though. Shooting percentage has never, and probably will never, be anything like what we see in real life. That's okay though. There are ways to tune this offline if your goal is to have the perfectly realistic season, but there's no need to introduce that into online modes. I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about an online mode having too high of a shooting %.

    As for defensemen intercepting passes, the problem is that I have no control over it. EA either needs to give me the control and responsibility for making the mistake (and forwards should need to use the same mechanic to accept a pass), or I need to not have it happen.

    Higher passing ratings should mean faster passes, more auto-aim to put passes into the lanes away from defenders, and allowing their teammates to perform receptions while losing less momentum. Every time they make a pass directly through a defender though, it should be punished with an interception because they made a bad decision. Higher passing should never mean that you have a higher chance of passing a puck directly through a defender in good position.

    Similarly, higher defensive awareness simply extends the range where your player is able to occasionally able to make interceptions. I think of it a bit like the damage field of a grenade. If that pass goes straight through me, that should be 100% failure regardless of the player types involved. There would be a couple of caveats that if you're shoulder to shoulder with a defender it shouldn't follow the same behavior because that would be silly, and manual saucer passes (no more auto-sauce plz) should have a small to moderate chance of going through a defender if they're from 5-15 feet away. No more 50 foot saucer passes at ankle height that defenders somehow forget how to block. Higher awareness makes me slightly more able to deflect passes that are further away, but doesn't make me some sort of spiderman defender.

    I'm upset with the game because defenders are getting **** by both sides right now. Not only does the skating engine make it more difficult to be in position to begin with, but even when you are in perfect position you still might let the puck go through your stick. What exactly am I being held accountable for? You can't hold someone accountable for something they have no control over.

    +1

    This times Infinity! Cracks me up when you OWN your opponent only to lose a game because of this type of situation. Much like everything else, You're being punished for being in Correct position....it's like the game is saying How Dare You be in correct position
  • I'll agree that the game consistently gives up rebounds from those shots. My problem is that those rebounds should only be consistent when taken closer to the net, or when using a slap shot, or with a screen, or maybe a few other scenarios. We're not talking about creating spiderman goalies here, we're talking about not rewarding teams for low effort plays with potential tap-in goals.

    Let me touch up on that (although I do agree with everything you said). The way the game rewards rebound goals is completely out of whack. I'm fine with garbage goals. Second or Third try goals will happen in the real NHL. But they all remain within the acceptable laws of physics. Bouncing pucks will take a second or two to corral. Same with hard rebounds and/or passes.

    But in this game it's like physics just switch off whenever the game feels like it:

    http://xboxclips.com/TheCreaseTV/1dd8f7d2-975a-4787-86b7-bb882db7502c

    http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/527542e9-8b53-491e-9956-aa8fdffb8519

    In both these clips the rebounds come after a hard shot and the puck isn't stable. Yet the offensive player in the crease just scoops it up and shoots it in the net imediately without any sort of penalty. Yet d-men have to bobble with the puck near the crease and goalies have to wait for LENGTHY save animations to play out before they can move again... How is that fair??

    I don't want spider-man goalies to come back. But at the same time if attacking players have all these buffs to make scoring easier and "more fun" for them, why can't the defense and goalies ALSO enjoy these same amenities?
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I'll agree that the game consistently gives up rebounds from those shots. My problem is that those rebounds should only be consistent when taken closer to the net, or when using a slap shot, or with a screen, or maybe a few other scenarios. We're not talking about creating spiderman goalies here, we're talking about not rewarding teams for low effort plays with potential tap-in goals.

    Let me touch up on that (although I do agree with everything you said). The way the game rewards rebound goals is completely out of whack. I'm fine with garbage goals. Second or Third try goals will happen in the real NHL. But they all remain within the acceptable laws of physics. Bouncing pucks will take a second or two to corral. Same with hard rebounds and/or passes.

    But in this game it's like physics just switch off whenever the game feels like it:

    http://xboxclips.com/TheCreaseTV/1dd8f7d2-975a-4787-86b7-bb882db7502c

    http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/527542e9-8b53-491e-9956-aa8fdffb8519

    Yeah, it's very clear that the way puck pickups are coded is completely different when picking up a rebound and shooting it than when you're just trying to pick up a bouncing, rolling puck away from the net. Rebounds are almost always handled much more easily and smoothly.
  • Ever since this game came over to current gen, it's been terrible from a control standpoint. Every year since 15, the gameplay has had a dice-roll element to it. It's in every element, from skating, to puck physics, to passing the puck. You just never know when the game is going to force something to occur and completely disregard your controller input.

    The fact that this type of 'randomness' is still in the game after what, at least 3-4 years of complaining tells you all you need to know about whether or not EA is listening to the fan base. They are adamant about shoving this RNG style down our throats whether we like it or not.

    They would probably have to scrap this game engine altogether to get rid of all this randomness and let's face it, EA ain't going back to ground zero, even if it meant smoother gameplay. So it looks like we're stuck with this garbage until either the next generation of consoles or until we get a whole new gameplay engine.

    Getting mad at the GameChangers is a waste because the only program capable of truly changing the game would be called DevChangers. The GameChangers don't program the game. The best GameChangers in the world aren't going to make this game play better if the people programming maintain the mindset that dice-roll style gameplay is the way to go.

  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I'll agree that the game consistently gives up rebounds from those shots. My problem is that those rebounds should only be consistent when taken closer to the net, or when using a slap shot, or with a screen, or maybe a few other scenarios. We're not talking about creating spiderman goalies here, we're talking about not rewarding teams for low effort plays with potential tap-in goals.

    Let me touch up on that (although I do agree with everything you said). The way the game rewards rebound goals is completely out of whack. I'm fine with garbage goals. Second or Third try goals will happen in the real NHL. But they all remain within the acceptable laws of physics. Bouncing pucks will take a second or two to corral. Same with hard rebounds and/or passes.

    But in this game it's like physics just switch off whenever the game feels like it:

    http://xboxclips.com/TheCreaseTV/1dd8f7d2-975a-4787-86b7-bb882db7502c

    http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/527542e9-8b53-491e-9956-aa8fdffb8519

    In both these clips the rebounds come after a hard shot and the puck isn't stable. Yet the offensive player in the crease just scoops it up and shoots it in the net imediately without any sort of penalty. Yet d-men have to bobble with the puck near the crease and goalies have to wait for LENGTHY save animations to play out before they can move again... How is that fair??

    I don't want spider-man goalies to come back. But at the same time if attacking players have all these buffs to make scoring easier and "more fun" for them, why can't the defense and goalies ALSO enjoy these same amenities?

    It feels like rebound pick-ups follow the same rules as pass receptions. The forward doesn't seem to need to do much more than exist to be able to grab the puck, while a defender needs to be in perfect position to even have a chance at it.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I'll agree that the game consistently gives up rebounds from those shots. My problem is that those rebounds should only be consistent when taken closer to the net, or when using a slap shot, or with a screen, or maybe a few other scenarios. We're not talking about creating spiderman goalies here, we're talking about not rewarding teams for low effort plays with potential tap-in goals.

    Let me touch up on that (although I do agree with everything you said). The way the game rewards rebound goals is completely out of whack. I'm fine with garbage goals. Second or Third try goals will happen in the real NHL. But they all remain within the acceptable laws of physics. Bouncing pucks will take a second or two to corral. Same with hard rebounds and/or passes.

    But in this game it's like physics just switch off whenever the game feels like it:

    http://xboxclips.com/TheCreaseTV/1dd8f7d2-975a-4787-86b7-bb882db7502c

    http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/527542e9-8b53-491e-9956-aa8fdffb8519

    In both these clips the rebounds come after a hard shot and the puck isn't stable. Yet the offensive player in the crease just scoops it up and shoots it in the net imediately without any sort of penalty. Yet d-men have to bobble with the puck near the crease and goalies have to wait for LENGTHY save animations to play out before they can move again... How is that fair??

    I don't want spider-man goalies to come back. But at the same time if attacking players have all these buffs to make scoring easier and "more fun" for them, why can't the defense and goalies ALSO enjoy these same amenities?

    It feels like rebound pick-ups follow the same rules as pass receptions. The forward doesn't seem to need to do much more than exist to be able to grab the puck, while a defender needs to be in perfect position to even have a chance at it.

    Perfect positioning doesn't really help. I played a club game last night with my LG team, and the other team scored a few goals on rebounds where our d-men were right on top of the puck, but just couldn't pick it up. But the forward just scooped it up and shot on net for easy goals. In some cases we were both 2-men and one of our forwards trying to recover a rebound after I saved it, but the offensive player just swooped in, picked up the puck like it was nothing and scored.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    "Perfect positioning doesn't really help. I played a club game last night with my LG team, and the other team scored a few goals on rebounds where our d-men were right on top of the puck, but just couldn't pick it up. But the forward just scooped it up and shot on net for easy goals. In some cases we were both 2-men and one of our forwards trying to recover a rebound after I saved it, but the offensive player just swooped in, picked up the puck like it was nothing and scored. "

    There are scripts programmed into the game that promotes team of possession keeping possession. Thru hits where the player who got hit gets back up and retrieves the puck again, or from deflections and poke checks going straight to a teammate, to juicy rebounds that defenders can't pick up but the offense can one time in a tenth of a second not even seeming to pick puck or control it.

    There is a lot wrong with this game.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer

    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "Perfect positioning doesn't really help. I played a club game last night with my LG team, and the other team scored a few goals on rebounds where our d-men were right on top of the puck, but just couldn't pick it up. But the forward just scooped it up and shot on net for easy goals. In some cases we were both 2-men and one of our forwards trying to recover a rebound after I saved it, but the offensive player just swooped in, picked up the puck like it was nothing and scored. "

    There are scripts programmed into the game that promotes team of possession keeping possession. Thru hits where the player who got hit gets back up and retrieves the puck again, or from deflections and poke checks going straight to a teammate, to juicy rebounds that defenders can't pick up but the offense can one time in a tenth of a second not even seeming to pick puck or control it.

    There is a lot wrong with this game.

    It is one thing to talk about the tuning of mechanics being off to your liking but another to boldly state false information that there are scripts to have a certain team keep possession. It is statements like this that lead the conversations in the wrong direction.

    It is fair if you think one timers off unsettled pucks are too strong or that in our tuning to allow it to be easier than last year to corral bouncing pucks that you preferred the previous tuning but it is best to watch wording not state something as fact when it is just an opinion.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.