EA Forums - Banner

Is this NHL series on the verge of dying?

Replies

• "I'm totally 100% not buying next years game. I'm like 75% not buying 19 at this point as well. I would buy a 2k nhl game on ps4 100% and i hated the old 2k games. Never missed a year of ea nhl though. This game and group of developers have just completely ruined it for me. From the best year 09-12 to some of the worst years 14-17

dude, 100% me man. I've bought this game religiously each and every year (minus '11). I feel the exact same way bro. I hated 2k, but at this point, they would blow EA out of the water if they ever decided to make a hockey game again. ALSO, 90$ to play a broken **** game, where you have to spend more time searching for opponents than you do playing (because less and less people are buying this trash), is just not an option for me anymore. I literally can't afford to waste almost 100$ on **** like this.

• Yup i agree with you both. Its pretty sad it got to this point. There was a time this was the best sports game out. I love hockey and i loved ea hockey but i just cant do this anymore. It angers me even more and makes me more disinterested in this franchise with the developers cracking jokes about a thread with serious issues about the game. Ea trolls issues on twitter. This is bizarro world! Taking peoples money and making worse products then cracking jokes and trolling people. Im so done lol
  • if they don't cross the beams it will....cross console play is a must!
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Taking peoples money and making worse products then cracking jokes and trolling people. Im so done lol

I honestly hope less and less people buy their games as the years go on man. EA needs to get F****D right back in the A**. They've been doing the F*****G for too long, but what goes around comes around. They're due. Until they get honest with their fans and start hearing them out and take RESPONSIBILITY for their mess of a game instead of blaming the community, and their internet connections, and their attitudes and what not, this series will never improve. Their lack of taking responsibility, is astonishing man. I've never seen a company like EA. All their issues are "our fault", and they hide them up as best as they can with amazing videos showing how awesome the game is.....I said this years ago, but when Halo: MCC came out, it was a hot mess....Similar to NHL series. However, the bigg difference there? 343 Industries KNEW they made a garbage game. They owned up to that, and really communicated that to the Halo community. They gave back by giving out free packs and what not, and did thier best to fix the game. That's how you manage a business man. one side, you have guys who care about the community and try their best to establish a good relationship, and on the other you have a bunch of crooks and liars who only care about how much money you have in your pocket. THIS is what people need to realize. Why do business with somebody who repeatedly screws you over, with no cares in the world with how the community feels about it?
  • We live in an era of participation trophies. EA's NHL series is one upping that by actually allowing these rejects to steal wins and build a record as good as the truly skilled players. Gone are the days of skilled danglers and creative cycling. Instead the last few are built on bombs from the point, floating wristers, wraps and d to d one timers. It's the era of lesser thans. The ideology of real hockey in this forum is built by lesser thans. My idea of real hockey includes skill. My idea of a video includes skill. NHL 14-17 requires no such thing.
  • People always say they won't buy the game but eventually they end up doing it anyway. Stop lying to yourself. September next year you'll all be in line.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    Offline and HUT are the only two modes with good population.

Shootouts are dead, VS mode is dead, OTP is a joke, and EASHL is borderline extinct.

All because of the lousy TPS and poor vision control.
  • Pr0xY00 wrote: »
    People always say they won't buy the game but eventually they end up doing it anyway. Stop lying to yourself. September next year you'll all be in line.

Normally I would agree with you, but i think people are serious this time around. Me personally, as much as the series has sucked the past few years, there was still a decent population to play with, so I kept buying it. But the NHL population barely even exists anymore, so there's literally no instinctive to spend 100$ on a video game just to spend your time searching for matches that don't exist. It's honestly come to that point man where people already aren't buying it anymore. Mark my words bro, I honestly don't see NHL lasting much longer for EA. People have been trying to communicate their frustration for years, but EA never listens....so now, instead of using our voices, the community is finally starting to voice their concerns using their pockets. This is exactly what happens when you continually issue out a game that is as incomplete and trash as the NHL series has been since moving over to next gen. You might have people buy it for a few years, but eventually they get fed up.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Offline and HUT are the only two modes with good population.

Shootouts are dead, VS mode is dead, OTP is a joke, and EASHL is borderline extinct.

All because of the lousy TPS and poor vision control.

Bro, 2K Sports seriously needs to jump in on this opportunity. I swear to god man, if they can make even half of a decent game in NHL as they do in NBA, it would be a hit.
  • Played a bunch of games yesterday between 6pm and 9pm. No problems finding games between 4's and 6's. Started off the night in D2, finished in d1. I've honestly haven't had issues finding games in vs, hut, eashl or drop ins.
  • We live in an era of participation trophies. EA's NHL series is one upping that by actually allowing these rejects to steal wins and build a record as good as the truly skilled players. Gone are the days of skilled danglers and creative cycling. Instead the last few are built on bombs from the point, floating wristers, wraps and d to d one timers. It's the era of lesser thans. The ideology of real hockey in this forum is built by lesser thans. My idea of real hockey includes skill. My idea of a video includes skill. NHL 14-17 requires no such thing.

Lol, the skilled danglers weren't playing hockey. Creative cycling, bombs from the point, wraps, d to d 1 timers, are all "hockey ", so i don't have a clue **** you'res smoking.

Your glitches were taken out, and you just found out you're not that much better than the "lesser thans" at video hockey without your glitches and cheese non physics skating.

Ya the TPS needs a lot of work, and there's definitely some wonky physics needing fixed, but you honestly really sound like you just aren't able to adapt, and with no more super builds, and **** cheese, you lost your edge you relied on so much. End of story.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    I've been one of them suckers that keep buying the game each year, I've been disappointed since TPS and NHL 13 but always the optimist they would fix the skating and vision control so the game was responsive and fun to play. I agree with the other poster that more people are at their wits end and will not be sucked in again, I've run my course.

The only news that would make me buy NHL 18 at this point is if EA openly advertised they are bringing back a more responsive skating engine and classic vision control, I mean they have to be out there spreading this news and advertising this is what they are bringing back to NHL 18, short of this would mean they are keeping the terrible non responsive TPS and half effective vision control, that is a deal breaker for me, finally after 5 years of being sucked in hoping they would fix these issues, I would say no more.
  • SteelCitySnipr66
    44 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    We live in an era of participation trophies. EA's NHL series is one upping that by actually allowing these rejects to steal wins and build a record as good as the truly skilled players. Gone are the days of skilled danglers and creative cycling. Instead the last few are built on bombs from the point, floating wristers, wraps and d to d one timers. It's the era of lesser thans. The ideology of real hockey in this forum is built by lesser thans. My idea of real hockey includes skill. My idea of a video includes skill. NHL 14-17 requires no such thing.

Lol, the skilled danglers weren't playing hockey. Creative cycling, bombs from the point, wraps, d to d 1 timers, are all "hockey ", so i don't have a clue **** you'res smoking.

Your glitches were taken out, and you just found out you're not that much better than the "lesser thans" at video hockey without your glitches and cheese non physics skating.

Ya the TPS needs a lot of work, and there's definitely some wonky physics needing fixed, but you honestly really sound like you just aren't able to adapt, and with no more super builds, and **** cheese, you lost your edge you relied on so much. End of story.

The concept of d to d one timers, point bombs etc etc are the idea of real hockey but overly done. Every play now is kick it back to the point for slapshots and d to d one timers. There is no working it low, no need to. It's mindless hockey that even the worst can play and succeed at. Every other d to d one time and slapshot goes in. I dont know what youre smoking but every game is not 6-5 and if it were it wouldnt be 9 out of those 11 were identical point goals. I said cycling is real and its something not many do properly this year.

I grew up watching the penguins then and now and dangling/skilled creativity is real to me. Much more real than punking it out to the point for mindless slapshots and d to d one timers. The efforts of making this game more realistic with your style has seriously taken away from all the skill. These shots go in more than golden scoring opportunities from a tic tac toe play in front of the goalie.

Thats **** and 10 out of 10 people in real life would prefer the chances in and around the net over the point shots. Yet you are rewarded more from point shots because they go in as much or more consistently than around the net. How many times do yo see a miraculous save on a pretty play around the net for a tap in vs a d to d one timer? Never happens on point shots bro only around the net. Goalies dont square up properly on shots from the point.

How should the guy who worked hard down low and beat your d fair and square be punished by a miraculous save or a missed net every other time? Yet you mindlessly smashed your L3 down the wing, then passed it to the point for a slapshot or a d to d one timer with the same or better result??? Why is everyone putting heatley, lafontaine, graves at LD and RD or weber and macinnis at LD? Weber and macinnis are RD men! Those who may have never seen or forgot about graves lafontaine and heatley... They are centers and wingers! That isnt real hockey! Its a bunch of scummy people exploiting a flaw! A horrible flaw because its so easy to do, requires no skill!

Problem with people complaining about danglers and offense down low with cross crease goals was poor d on their behalf. I had no problems shutting out top guys in 09-12. At the end of the day its a video game and they tried their best to put more point shots, deflections and d to d one timers in. Unfortunately they over did it by a mileee and the result is 5min TOT, 20 shots from the point, 6 goals to my 15 min TOT 15 shots and 4 goals. Ummm no.

Video games overall are supposed to take skill and usually the more skilled player wins. Not in nhl because they have dummied it down for lesser thans such as yourself. If i cannot control the outcome with my skill and the handicap exploits do, im not interested in your game. It's a fraud and that is what NHL has been the last few years. A fraud. Your style and skill less ideas support a franchise that is dying and hugely unpopular. Mine were of a time when it was sports game of the year and people who didnt even know hockey were playing because of how good it was. Enough said. Go d to d with the 30 other players that actually play this dying dumpster fire of a series lol. I cannot support this garbage anymore and more feel like me than you ;). Thanks for killing nhl.

Your mentality is wrong, your goals are cheese buddy mine are earned and pretty. Oh im 4/1 or 5/1 still in spite of this rubbish. With a few div 1 titles. So go ahead and support this flawed, clumsy, clunky, skill less game some more my delusional friend. I say make the goalies almost unbeatable at this point from the blue line and down low and lets see who wins more ;). Im all in favor of the goalies being almost impossible to beat from breakaways, slapshots, floating wristers and d to d one timers. 2 or 3 goal games baby im in!
  • Well I deleted it from my xbox and its the first time I have ever done so.The frustration lvl vs fun factor was a huge mismatch.Maybe if I played as forward id be playing still but sadly I only play D and/or G and both are just unfun to the 10th degree this year.

Last year I was didn't think it could get any worse but 17 has proved me wrong.Honestly I had more fun playing 15 as a d-man and I will prob just reinstall that to keep my in-game hockey sense up until a newer version that is fun again comes along.

Its just getting more and more frustrating as a d-man for me.As the weeks go on it seems there are more and more people as forward getting better at stringing dekes together,into puck protect into pull it to backhand back into deke and you don't even get a fraction of a second to go for a lift or poke without risking a penalty.Hitting is pointless as an option against higher skilled players with twitch fingers.If you do manage a poke or lift its either right back on their or someone else stick from their side,or else they just grab it right back.

Forwards also always seem to have the advantage for rebounds because im usually always in LT facing away from the net or to the side whereas they are facing directly at it so they will scoop it at a much higher frequency rate then I can.On the time I do get it first they just stick life before I can even get a button press off because im stuck in the LT.

Its just maddening for me because it was always my go to game.I know some people like it and I respect that but for me its just pointless to play anymore.Heck I was even playing in true broadcast view on my club to try to get some enjoyment again lol P.S it didn't go well :)
  • Pr0xY00 wrote: »
    People always say they won't buy the game but eventually they end up doing it anyway. Stop lying to yourself. September next year you'll all be in line.

Speak for yourself, the beta was all we needed to know that nothing really changed with the skating and had no problem skipping this year. We're not going to buy a game that isn't good just because we like hockey, that just isn't enough anymore.
  • Well I deleted it from my xbox and its the first time I have ever done so.The frustration lvl vs fun factor was a huge mismatch.Maybe if I played as forward id be playing still but sadly I only play D and/or G and both are just unfun to the 10th degree this year.

Last year I was didn't think it could get any worse but 17 has proved me wrong.Honestly I had more fun playing 15 as a d-man and I will prob just reinstall that to keep my in-game hockey sense up until a newer version that is fun again comes along.

Its just getting more and more frustrating as a d-man for me.As the weeks go on it seems there are more and more people as forward getting better at stringing dekes together,into puck protect into pull it to backhand back into deke and you don't even get a fraction of a second to go for a lift or poke without risking a penalty.Hitting is pointless as an option against higher skilled players with twitch fingers.If you do manage a poke or lift its either right back on their or someone else stick from their side,or else they just grab it right back.

Forwards also always seem to have the advantage for rebounds because im usually always in LT facing away from the net or to the side whereas they are facing directly at it so they will scoop it at a much higher frequency rate then I can.On the time I do get it first they just stick life before I can even get a button press off because im stuck in the LT.

Its just maddening for me because it was always my go to game.I know some people like it and I respect that but for me its just pointless to play anymore.Heck I was even playing in true broadcast view on my club to try to get some enjoyment again lol P.S it didn't go well :)

You have an excellent post and bring up very valid complaints about this game .

Truly, fantastic post and forwards who can pick up rebounds at a much frequent rate than Dman AND even if we do get a rebound, we have no time to do anything as its immediately stripped were GOLD points.

• The concept of d to d one timers, point bombs etc etc are the idea of real hockey but overly done. Every play now is kick it back to the point for slapshots and d to d one timers. There is no working it low, no need to. It's mindless hockey that even the worst can play and succeed at. Every other d to d one time and slapshot goes in. I dont know what youre smoking but every game is not 6-5 and if it were it wouldnt be 9 out of those 11 were identical point goals. I said cycling is real and its something not many do properly this year.

I grew up watching the penguins then and now and dangling/skilled creativity is real to me. Much more real than punking it out to the point for mindless slapshots and d to d one timers. The efforts of making this game more realistic with your style has seriously taken away from all the skill. These shots go in more than golden scoring opportunities from a tic tac toe play in front of the goalie.

Thats **** and 10 out of 10 people in real life would prefer the chances in and around the net over the point shots. Yet you are rewarded more from point shots because they go in as much or more consistently than around the net. How many times do yo see a miraculous save on a pretty play around the net for a tap in vs a d to d one timer? Never happens on point shots bro only around the net. Goalies dont square up properly on shots from the point.

How should the guy who worked hard down low and beat your d fair and square be punished by a miraculous save or a missed net every other time? Yet you mindlessly smashed your L3 down the wing, then passed it to the point for a slapshot or a d to d one timer with the same or better result??? Why is everyone putting heatley, lafontaine, graves at LD and RD or weber and macinnis at LD? Weber and macinnis are RD men! Those who may have never seen or forgot about graves lafontaine and heatley... They are centers and wingers! That isnt real hockey! Its a bunch of scummy people exploiting a flaw! A horrible flaw because its so easy to do, requires no skill!

Problem with people complaining about danglers and offense down low with cross crease goals was poor d on their behalf. I had no problems shutting out top guys in 09-12. At the end of the day its a video game and they tried their best to put more point shots, deflections and d to d one timers in. Unfortunately they over did it by a mileee and the result is 5min TOT, 20 shots from the point, 6 goals to my 15 min TOT 15 shots and 4 goals. Ummm no.

Video games overall are supposed to take skill and usually the more skilled player wins. Not in nhl because they have dummied it down for lesser thans such as yourself. If i cannot control the outcome with my skill and the handicap exploits do, im not interested in your game. It's a fraud and that is what NHL has been the last few years. A fraud. Your style and skill less ideas support a franchise that is dying and hugely unpopular. Mine were of a time when it was sports game of the year and people who didnt even know hockey were playing because of how good it was. Enough said. Go d to d with the 30 other players that actually play this dying dumpster fire of a series lol. I cannot support this garbage anymore and more feel like me than you ;). Thanks for killing nhl.

Your mentality is wrong, your goals are cheese buddy mine are earned and pretty. Oh im 4/1 or 5/1 still in spite of this rubbish. With a few div 1 titles. So go ahead and support this flawed, clumsy, clunky, skill less game some more my delusional friend. I say make the goalies almost unbeatable at this point from the blue line and down low and lets see who wins more ;). Im all in favor of the goalies being almost impossible to beat from breakaways, slapshots, floating wristers and d to d one timers. 2 or 3 goal games baby im in!

I too agree that D to D one timers go in way too much. People flying down the wing and kicking it back to D takes minimal skill and it's too effective

• SteelCitySnipr66
    44 posts Member
    edited December 2016

The concept of d to d one timers, point bombs etc etc are the idea of real hockey but overly done. Every play now is kick it back to the point for slapshots and d to d one timers. There is no working it low, no need to. It's mindless hockey that even the worst can play and succeed at. Every other d to d one time and slapshot goes in. I dont know what youre smoking but every game is not 6-5 and if it were it wouldnt be 9 out of those 11 were identical point goals. I said cycling is real and its something not many do properly this year.

I too agree that D to D one timers go in way too much. People flying down the wing and kicking it back to D takes minimal skill and it's too effective

Yup, id rather get smoked by ConnerMcdangles with crazy dekes than by BarDownBen with floating wristers and hut hero forwards at d doing d to d one timers on off hands. At least mcdangles earned his goals. I have zero respect for the point abusers in this game. You are not good, you're just a boring, mindless robot who puts winning at all cost so far above having fun and enjoying the game with actual skill and creativity. Its sad and pathetic. I refuse to stoop to that level. I'm better than that and all who do it. Thats why i wont buy next years version, i hate to say it but let this junk series burn at this point. Saves my $70-$100 a year.

Not like they care anyway, look at their customer support from developers. Trolling and joking. If i were them id be frightened that i was going to lose my dream job tomorrow, horrible looking resume too... took a series that was sports game of the year and an absolute blast and ran it straight into borderline extinction. I would never hire anyone with that resume (looking at you mr rammer). Hmm maybe the fighting engine needs redone? Lets do corny first person fighting? That'll fix everything ;) lol. What are you thinking?!?!? Lol