EA Forums - Banner

This phenomenon of forwards playing defense ...

Last year it was defense sabatoging offense , now it's the other way around ... Wingers racing their dmen behind the net , leaving no outlet passes on the break out , pushing d men out if their position as they skate like headless chickens , let's the offense, cleanly break out because they are behind their own blue line and not playing offense , not pressuring, the point remains open and the opponent gets that much more room to do what they need ... It's just one more guy to have the game out the puck in the net for you ... Very aggravating to try and play defense but you are fighting your own teammate ...

What is up with the consistent headless chicken syndrome too ... Some dumb winger trying to play every position. But all they do is ruin the break out , give one less guy to cycle to. Why do people find they need to play another guy's position when he is there playing it , and your wing is open ?

Replies

• Lol. Oh man . I kid you not , yesterday...or maybe it was two days ago ? I had to message a winger to STOP playing my position (ld) .

He messaged me back saying, "then play defense." I was dumbfounded. I can understand if I wasn't playing D and I was joining the rush , but I wasn't. AT ALL. So I literally had no idea what he was talking about. Crazy.

In general though , you really have to go in to a drop-in game and understand that people that are in there are just the worst. Really. The absolute worst.

• Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    A defensive minded forward is better than an offense only minded defenceman.

The problem with OTP is most players don't know basic strategy and position and there's really no incentive to play properly. Almost makes me want to bring back the old level up system so people would be forced to play somewhat organized.
  • Scrubs will scrub.
  • Scrubs will scrub.

Lol. Laughed so hard at this . Ahhaha
  • it goes both ways and lets be honest almost everyone in drop in is absolutely terrible.

not that most fwds are any better but to flip this around. i love when i see the D and center chasing the puck carrier around the boards every single play and leaving the slot wide open for easy tic tac toe one timers. they usually **** at goalies to "make a save" or "leave, why did you even choose goalie since you obviously suck at it". in rare cases that they actually get the puck, they normally will blindly slap it up the boards... it goes to no one since the winger is doing the only logical thing he can think of and covering the slot for the poor goalie that is constantly left hung out to dry.

it's otp don't expect anything but idiocy and you will be much happier
  • wow can't even say i d i o c y
  • it goes both ways and lets be honest almost everyone in drop in is absolutely terrible.

not that most fwds are any better but to flip this around. i love when i see the D and center chasing the puck carrier around the boards every single play and leaving the slot wide open for easy tic tac toe one timers. they usually **** at goalies to "make a save" or "leave, why did you even choose goalie since you obviously suck at it". in rare cases that they actually get the puck, they normally will blindly slap it up the boards... it goes to no one since the winger is doing the only logical thing he can think of and covering the slot for the poor goalie that is constantly left hung out to dry.

it's otp don't expect anything but **** and you will be much happier

So true. Such a pain in the **** when I have a center who obviously doesn't know how to play the position .

And then a RD partner that clearly is a goof. Nothing scares me more than an idiot Rd with the puck in our zone . He will either consistently ice the puck or turn it over .
  • Hate it, then they start bumping into you and crap, Its awful. I go play their position, after informing them on the mic. Space is essential to success.
  • Scrubs will scrub.

Lol. Laughed so hard at this . Ahhaha

Glad I amused lol

This.
  • Oh good, there's obviously alot of people here who understand hockey, so I'll ask: as a clueless defender, in the rare occasion I should get the puck, what should I do with it? If I'm under pressure with no reliable passing lanes, dumping it along the boards is what I would do, seems better than a turnover. Please, hockey wizards, enlighten me.
  • ToddJones8 wrote: »
    Oh good, there's obviously alot of people here who understand hockey, so I'll ask: as a clueless defender, in the rare occasion I should get the puck, what should I do with it? If I'm under pressure with no reliable passing lanes, dumping it along the boards is what I would do, seems better than a turnover. Please, hockey wizards, enlighten me.

Skate in circles until the lane opens up or the player quits out of rage
  • ToddJones8 wrote: »
    Oh good, there's obviously alot of people here who understand hockey, so I'll ask: as a clueless defender, in the rare occasion I should get the puck, what should I do with it? If I'm under pressure with no reliable passing lanes, dumping it along the boards is what I would do, seems better than a turnover. Please, hockey wizards, enlighten me.

if there are no open passes then your team sucks and speak up.

especially in this game, it's not that hard to break out. especially how easy it is to accurately pass "most the time".

obviously it's smart to get it out of the zone if your **** team can't seem to find a way to get open. but unfortunately in this game it can be hard to clear it without icing it. which is no better a situation than the one you are likely in already. i don't play d much but when i do i have no problem breaking it out unless i have 3 cherry pickers and even then i usually find a way to avoid pressure and get it to the other dman or just flip it down ice. of course if the fwds keep doing triple streaks down the ice your team is **** and it's probably best to just quit.
  • Im more amazed at the defense who play forward.... i mean theres no excuse for it this year you choose your position before you even load into a game now... so why even choose D if your not gonna play d?

So true. Such a pain in the **** when I have a center who obviously doesn't know how to play the position .

And then a RD partner that clearly is a goof. Nothing scares me more than an **** Rd with the puck in our zone . He will either consistently ice the puck or turn it over .

And yet you wonder why wingers play D...

And then a RD partner that clearly is a goof. Nothing scares me more than an **** Rd with the puck in our zone . He will either consistently ice the puck or turn it over .

And yet you wonder why wingers play D...

Here's the thing: not too many people actually know how to play their position. Whether it's the forwards, d-men or goalies. And frankly, the game never gives them the information they need to learn how to. Forwards learn to not trust their d-men or goalies because the AI d-men and goalies are just plain bad. They'll leave defensive assignments completely unchecked, refuse to stand up to forwards trying to dangle their way through, they'll routinely try to score on their own net and fail to breakout of their zone properly, even if you change the strategies. AI goalies will allow the DUMBEST goals to go through on shots that float from the blue line, but make the most impossible looking save on cross-crease attempts, on their bellies no less, even after they are caught going the wrong way!

People play the way they play because that's how this game SHOWS you to play.

And so you get human d-men bunching up in front of the goalie trying to block shots, effectively screening him and ALLOWING goals to get through. Forwards either crash into the net on defense thinking they have to do everything or they immediately turn tail and bolt towards the opponent's blue line as soon as they even THINK that their teammate can get the puck, thereby leaving the poor d-men surrounded by opposing players without a lane for a breakout pass. Human goalies have no clue how to properly guard their net, and they often don't need to because the game will allow them to make even difficult saves as long as they are in the middle of their net. D-men often hog the puck, because the forwards hardly include them on offense, and any chance they have to carry the puck is taken with selfish aplomb: who knows when the next time they get to sniff the puck will come.

I wish the game had proper AI so that the devs could put in a proper TUTORIAL and show people that are new to the sport how to play. Even "veterans" could learn a thing or two, i'm sure, on how to play proper hockey.