EA Forums - Banner

Elliott Friedman - NHL and ESports

Prev1
sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-can-nhl-tap-booming-esports-market/

Elliott Friedman brings up the popularity of ESports in his latest 30 thoughts article. It's interesting to hear that ESports are on the radar of the aging millionaires and billionaires that own the NHL clubs. It's the direction this series was heading back in the glory days of EASHL.
PSN : GordonRamsey
Club : Midnight Express

Replies

• good get on twitter RT and #NHL to let the entire fanbase know what a joke EA's offerings are yearly.
  • Yup. EA needs to capitalize on this growing market.

They need to make an 'esport' edition that focuses almost completely on a great online experience.

They also need to implement a mode that does away with AI (EASHL in its current state isn't up to par). A 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 mode like Rocket League would be an interesting thought.

This esport edition should be a one time release with the occasional patch update to improve the game over the long term (think cs:go, LoL, hearthstone etc.)

It should be priced low in order to get a huge volume of sales to develop a strong community with a strong online presence.

Customization of equipment should be implemented as achievements or microtransactions that do not affect gameplay, to attract that massive crowd of people who like arbitrary shiny things.

I could go on.
  • EASHL is funny to me sometimes more of the people that think they are pros are worse then the "awful" AI
  • I agree with the no AI, run what you brung!
  • symmer1983 wrote: »
    Yup. EA needs to capitalize on this growing market.

They need to make an 'esport' edition that focuses almost completely on a great online experience.

They also need to implement a mode that does away with AI (EASHL in its current state isn't up to par). A 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 mode like Rocket League would be an interesting thought.

This esport edition should be a one time release with the occasional patch update to improve the game over the long term (think cs:go, LoL, hearthstone etc.)

It should be priced low in order to get a huge volume of sales to develop a strong community with a strong online presence.

Customization of equipment should be implemented as achievements or microtransactions that do not affect gameplay, to attract that massive crowd of people who like arbitrary shiny things.

I could go on.

Can you really consider 3 v 3 an "e-sport"?

Just create lobbies for the LGers to have preset builds.
  • symmer1983 wrote: »

I could go on.

3v3 plus a goalie. Sure I think you could. Although I think 4v4 might be better. Rocket league has had a successful entry into esports as a 3v3 game.

The nice thing about 3v3 is that tournament prize winnings would be split amongst fewer players. Plus if you're trying to attract a younger market of gamers who might not know much about hockey, 3v3 would probably make for a cleaner spectator experience than the current mess that is 6v6 EASHL.
  • I agree with the no AI, run what you brung!

No goalie, Wha?? :smiley:
  • SaveUs2K wrote: »
    symmer1983 wrote: »

I could go on.

DEYYY TOOK OUR CUSTIMIZIZIASHUUN!!! DURkkkaaDUrkkaaDRUkkaa!!!

48753298.jpg
  • Everyone is a 75 overall and 3 vs 3 shootouts vs AI goalies.

The ultimate E-sporting event.
  • HogNutz74 wrote: »
    Everyone is a 75 overall and 3 vs 3 shootouts vs AI goalies.

The ultimate E-sporting event.

hey, he is an e-athlete.

who are you to judge. just play the game as he sees fit.
  • and i don't think these builds are even a 75..............
  • 6' 6" stay at home defensemen stride for stride with 5' 10" dangler.

Well that IS way more realistic.....
  • HogNutz74 wrote: »
    6' 6" stay at home defensemen stride for stride with 5' 10" dangler.

Well that IS way more realistic.....

it's.... fair?

some..... how?
  • E A SPORTS

WE WRECKED THE GAME.

• symmer1983
    127 posts Member
    edited December 2016

48753298.jpg

No one is claiming that esports players are athletes. Esports are very different from real sports obviously, but to play off the growing esports market as a joke is just plain ignorance.

Actual 'sports games' have not really entered the esports market, so there is huge potential still for growth. EA or some other company should really capitalize by putting forth an Esport Hockey edition. We would all benefit from it, so I don't see a reason to make fun of it or dismiss the idea before seriously considering it.
    SaveUs2K wrote: »

I could go on.

48753298.jpg

The funny thing is, I've probably played real hockey at a higher level than you could dream of, and I also am better than you at virtual hockey. That's a real shame, eh?

says the guy "SaveUs2K" who doesn't realize 2K uses a progression system that can be customized.

o:)
    SaveUs2K wrote: »

I could go on.

48753298.jpg

The funny thing is, I've probably played real hockey at a higher level than you could dream of, and I also am better than you at virtual hockey. That's a real shame, eh?

I've probably achieved a higher level of education than you. So **** what?