EA Forums - Banner

Shot aim help!

I've come from Fifa... I haven't really played NHL properly since 04 and the 04 Rebuilt Mod recently.

When aiming shots on NHL 17 do you hold the stick or flick it quickly? what's the best way to get it on target? If I hold the stick to the corner I want to shoot for too long will that decrease accuracy?

Any tips for a newish player a lot of my shots seem to come up as RED and badly aimed.

Replies

• Its random. It could go left when you go right. Its part of value added fun factor..
  • Musrsee wrote: »
    Its random. It could go left when you go right. Its part of value added fun factor..

Priceless, response!!
  • MuzzUKeng wrote: »
    I've come from Fifa... I haven't really played NHL properly since 04 and the 04 Rebuilt Mod recently.

When aiming shots on NHL 17 do you hold the stick or flick it quickly? what's the best way to get it on target? If I hold the stick to the corner I want to shoot for too long will that decrease accuracy?

Any tips for a newish player a lot of my shots seem to come up as RED and badly aimed.

You can remove that coaching instruction that shows red when your shot is poorly aimed. Go into practice mode or offline shootout and get a feel for how the shooting works.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited December 2016
    MuzzUKeng wrote: »

You aim with the left stick and shoot with the right. The left stick aim as you roll it around the perimeter is capped at the edges of the net. The only exception is if you aim to the bottom middle and there is a goalie in the net, it is aiming 5 hole.

Error is added as a possible spread from your intended aim target based on multiple factors. The more accuracy you have, the tighter the circle of possible spray and the higher chance you hit your spot bang on. With a lot of error, the possible spray is way higher and you could miss your target by a great margin.

Impacts on your shot accuracy other than the attributes of the player shooting are the physical factors of the shooter such as how in control he is (gliding vs skating in full stride or in the middle of a deke/spin). The angle of your shooter to the target also has an impact (you won't be as accurate shooting at less ideal angles from the shooter and will find a difference shooting with rather than against your momentum). If you happen to still get the shot off but a defender gets a stick on your stick as you are shooting, it will impact the shot release greatly as well.

All of these factors apply to one timers as well but a bigger effect on one timers is receiving a pass cross body vs in your wheel house. You won't get near the same leverage or power on a pass cross body so those will have more success in near the net than from further out. You are better to receive the puck and settle it before shooting in those cases when further out.

You will also want to continue to press the left stick in the direction you plan to aim up until the shot release. We read the input that whole time since you use the same stick to skate and some players are rolling into the shot location they want.

Lastly, depending on the hospitality settings you set, if you are playing offline, it is possible to have assisted aim on, so you may want to check what that setting is set to. With assisted aim, it still takes your intention of where you want to shoot but will fine tune the aim within that region of the net to give you more success aiming at a slightly more open part of the net near that corner. If you have it off, it is fully manual, which is also the online locked default.
  • Shots do not take into affect your stick blade, it will shoot on ridiculous angles, through the blade ... Sometimes too when you have it forehand if you aim right it forces your guy to spin and shoot backhand, it's seemingly random. Shots can also start one direction and take a 90° angle mid shot about a foot to three feet out after being shot too, and completely fool the goalie ... And always keep in mind the AI doesn't know if you are left or right handed stick stick, so if you set up your players left shot of right wing and right shot on left wing, If you aim far side on the one timer it's almost always a goal because the goalies aren't programmed to know how to angle up properly.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Dixonyu wrote: »
    Sometimes too when you have it forehand if you aim right it forces your guy to spin and shoot backhand, it's seemingly random.

It's not.

You need to be aware of your player's positioning and how he's facing the net.

Agreed. I rarely miss the net and when I do (even with grinder) I know it was mainly positioning / leverage.
  • Why did auto aim go away and now it's "assisted" aim? I'm strictly an offline player who would rather my players ratings determine where they aim, which used to be "auto" aim. My enforcer has more goals than Tarasenko due to me aiming the same for every player instead of the ratings of the player determining that.

Just curious why it was removed?
  • Why did auto aim go away and now it's "assisted" aim? I'm strictly an offline player who would rather my players ratings determine where they aim, which used to be "auto" aim. My enforcer has more goals than Tarasenko due to me aiming the same for every player instead of the ratings of the player determining that.

Just curious why it was removed?

I used the auto aim in NHL 14, but switched to the manual aim in 17 as the "assist" does nothing but put every shot into the crest on the goalies jersey. Even if I have the stick aimed for a corner and a 9t accuracy shooter is getting a one-time pass right in his wheelhouse....it's going to the crest. So I made myself learn the manual shooting. Once you do you will be glad, as your better shooters will snipe a lot (too much actually, be prepared to jack up the CPU goaltending), and it becomes 2nd nature.
  • DeejNYLV wrote: »
    I used the auto aim in NHL 14, but switched to the manual aim in 17 as the "assist" does nothing but put every shot into the crest on the goalies jersey. Even if I have the stick aimed for a corner and a 9t accuracy shooter is getting a one-time pass right in his wheelhouse....it's going to the crest. So I made myself learn the manual shooting. Once you do you will be glad, as your better shooters will snipe a lot (too much actually, be prepared to jack up the CPU goaltending), and it becomes 2nd nature.

I've been trying manual.. most of my shots miss the net.. lol... I just want my players to aim based on ratings, not because how good I can aim.