EA Forums - Banner

Punish quitters in EASHL

Replies

• KoryDub wrote: »
    Millennials operate in safe spaces with no punishment for personal failure.

If we don't let the snowflakes play hockey the way they think it should be played, and don't reward them just for participating - the game is trash.

• IceLion68
    1221 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    KoryDub wrote: »

Isn't there a way for the game to recognize if someone quits or loses connection? Isn't it a DNF win/loss when we quit and a DISC of we lose connection?

Would there be a way to reconnect to a game if someone loses connection?

I don't know if there's a way in the current system to discern from a loss of connection due to the user or due to EA's servers. It would be nice but I'd suspect the server-side monitoring of something like this would be expensive and time consuming.

Being able to join a game after losing connection would be fantastic. I can't imagine the work that would entail on the development side, however. It sounds simple, but executing that kind of ability would be a large amount of work, I assume.

The thing is, if the game were able to tell the difference between quitting out and getting DC'd - and I would think that is possible to do technically - all a person would have to do is flick their router off or pull their cable out.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.

Isn't there a way for the game to recognize if someone quits or loses connection? Isn't it a DNF win/loss when we quit and a DISC of we lose connection?

Would there be a way to reconnect to a game if someone loses connection?

I don't know if there's a way in the current system to discern from a loss of connection due to the user or due to EA's servers. It would be nice but I'd suspect the server-side monitoring of something like this would be expensive and time consuming.

Being able to join a game after losing connection would be fantastic. I can't imagine the work that would entail on the development side, however. It sounds simple, but executing that kind of ability would be a large amount of work, I assume.

In the telecom world, there are basically "normal" and "abnormal" disconnect states. In the wireless world, same deal. At a high level, there is a "release" from the AT / handset that let's the switch know if it was a normal disconnect or abnormal disco. If the other party hangs up, there is a "normal release" from the switch to the AT. This is how carriers know if you have "drops" or successful calls.

So, I would think that, yes, the server would already know what a normal vs. abnormal disconnect state is. They likely have alarms, alerts and thresholds built for monitoring purposes. Implementing it at a user level would likely be a project requiring funding and there goes money for other things that need to be fixed (I am simply guessing here).

I imagine the trouble with proper detection (and punishment period) would come into play when users decide to just yank their cable out or turn their radio off (if they are WiFi for whatever reason) when they rage quit.

I have read that HUT and VS are P2P, but I assume there is still a server (not a game / traffic server) that monitors wins / losses and it could be done there perhaps?
  • EA UFC won't left you join n after quitting to many times I think that would be prefect for NHL that ends the argument between if you got logged out or quit because if you internet if that bad that you hit the limit I don't want to play you online anyways. As bad as that sounds it's true you ruin it for everyone else.
    I imagine the trouble with proper detection (and punishment period) would come into play when users decide to just yank their cable out or turn their radio off (if they are WiFi for whatever reason) when they rage quit.

Yep, exactly. Well said. You would need a router to relay a 'cable disconnect' back to the server you're connected to in order to show the cable was physically unplugged. This exists in the corporate world where you can manage the devices talking to each other and configure such a thing.. but in the online gaming world this just isn't feasible.

Yes sir and consumer grade routers aren't going to relay syslog messages to that level.

it's all chalked up to a loss of DCD / loss of carrier.

I kinda agree with what the last chap said... you lose connection (especially in a P2P environment), tough crap.

Yep, exactly. Well said. You would need a router to relay a 'cable disconnect' back to the server you're connected to in order to show the cable was physically unplugged. This exists in the corporate world where you can manage the devices talking to each other and configure such a thing.. but in the online gaming world this just isn't feasible.

Yes sir and consumer grade routers aren't going to relay syslog messages to that level.

it's all chalked up to a loss of DCD / loss of carrier.

I kinda agree with what the last chap said... you lose connection (especially in a P2P environment), tough ****.

* I should say not all consumer grade routers are capable of relaying that level of logging and most consumers aren't going to enable it, nor would I dump logs to a 3rd party server.
  • Its a game, just take the win and move on to the next match.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Its a game, just take the win and move on to the next match.

Makes the most sense yes lol
  • I am quite happy when our club is playing well enough to chase the other team off and get the win.
    :)
  • Here's a thought, just for starters, how about removing the option to quit a game from the menu?

If we don't want people to quit, why is that an option. If you want to quit, make the user get off the couch and unplug his cable or close the software. These menu's are such a pain, I think forcing the user to go through them all again is enough punishment to quitting. It will take them about 10 minutes to find another game.
  • IceLion68
    1221 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Are we talking about dropin?

If so, the counterpoint here is that if you make it too difficult for people to quit, or punish them too much, they will end up trolling/griefing and in that case it would have been better that they had just quit instead of making EVERYONE miserable.

Alternately, in club, ever have those games where for whatever reason, your team just couldnt "get it together"? Or, your team is playing well but the other team is getting all the (non-existent LOL) "puck luck"?

When the goal differential gets too high and things don't seem to be turning around, we just end up quitting because well , at that point, its just more frustrating than fun. I am not sure if that makes us bad people - I mean we get the loss, the other team gets the win. I don't feel great about doing that but honestly I play video games first and foremost to have fun.

Maybe this is just "window dressing" but perhaps it would be nice if there was a "Concede game" option available to the room leader on your team for those games where you just cant bear to finish for whatever reason (including if you lost a team member or two due to the game crashing or they got DC'd)
    Here's a thought, just for starters, how about removing the option to quit a game from the menu?

If we don't want people to quit, why is that an option. If you want to quit, make the user get off the couch and unplug his cable or close the software. These menu's are such a pain, I think forcing the user to go through them all again is enough punishment to quitting. It will take them about 10 minutes to find another game.

vjSvxmq.gif

I'm sorry Mr. Moderator, what part of that has you so dumbfounded?
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    Are we talking about dropin?

If so, the counterpoint here is that if you make it too difficult for people to quit, or punish them too much, they will end up trolling/griefing and in that case it would have been better that they had just quit instead of making EVERYONE miserable.

Alternately, in club, ever have those games where for whatever reason, your team just couldnt "get it together"? Or, your team is playing well but the other team is getting all the (non-existent LOL) "puck luck"?

When the goal differential gets too high and things don't seem to be turning around, we just end up quitting because well , at that point, its just more frustrating than fun. I am not sure if that makes us bad people - I mean we get the loss, the other team gets the win. I don't feel great about doing that but honestly I play video games first and foremost to have fun.

Maybe this is just "window dressing" but perhaps it would be nice if there was a "Concede game" option available to the room leader on your team for those games where you just cant bear to finish for whatever reason (including if you lost a team member or two due to the game crashing or they got DC'd)

OP said EASHL drop in, so I was speaking specifically to drop in. I don't care if people quit in EASHL. Usually it's a whole team quitting, not just one guy. And if I get a win in half the time, that's fine by me. Off to the next game.

In drop ins though, people quit all the time. Puck drop, penalty, pause screen, 6v5. It's a much bigger problem there.

Also, stupid that the one pause you get is burned early in the game because a goalie wants to quit after letting in 2 goals on two shots or because the RD realized early on that people weren't going to let him play 4th forward.

In regards to griefing, isn't there measures in the game to already boot someone for that? Although, I will concede there are ways to do it without getting kicked. Not much you can do there.
    I'm sorry Mr. Moderator, what part of that has you so dumbfounded?

If you want to quit, make the user get off the couch and unplug his cable or close the software.

And?

The whole point of this thread is to punish quitters, right?

All I'm suggesting is if we want to stop people from quitting, maybe don't put the option in the pause menu. I know, this is super high-level thinking type stuff here.

And?

All I'm suggesting is if we want to stop people from quitting, maybe don't put the option in the pause menu. I know, this is super high-level thinking type stuff here.

Do you feel that forcing users to dashboard or unplug during an online game they want to quit, is a good way to keep players engaged in your product?
    KoryDub wrote: »

And?

Do you feel that forcing users to dashboard or unplug during an online game they want to quit, is a good way to keep players engaged in your product?

Oh, so you're arguing that people should quit drop in games with no punishment. So your little gif is directed at OP and not me then.

Oh, so you're arguing that people should quit drop in games with no punishment. So your little gif is directed at OP and not me then.

How do you even come to that conclusion? Did you even read this thread?

My suggestion was the cool-down period.

Your suggestion is to force users to unplug their consoles from the internet or close to dashboard.

sorry, my mistake. I thought you were looking for potential solutions.

Keep staring at the quit button and debating on the best way to get people not to press it.
  • I say if a player gets 2 DNF's within 24 hours than the Game will block you from playing drops or club for 24 hours I think that would be fair
  • I say if a player gets 2 DNF's within 24 hours than the Game will block you from playing drops or club for 24 hours I think that would be fair

I'm cool with anything .

15 mintues . 24 hours. Just Punish these goofs. Hate having to play against at least half ai almost every game. So unfun