EA Forums - Banner

EASHL - "unrealistic" redirection goal?

IlyaSorokin90
983 posts Member
edited December 2016
Had this happen while I was tending goal yesterday in a drop in game.

I save the initial shot with my shoulder. It then rebounds perfectly to an opposing forward who isn't even facing the net and the rebound, yet he is able to swat the puck mid-air on his backhand perfectly for a goal. He does turn his head slightly before making contact with the puck but he must of had some sort of sixth sense to know the puck was going to rebound towards him perfectly like that.

I kind of think it was an awesome goal but it was complete **** with EA's automatic crap in play doing something for the user which involves no skill on that particular players part.

Replies

• He does turn his head slightly before making contact with the puck but he must of had some sort of sixth sense to know the puck was going to rebound towards him perfectly like that.

Offensive players' ability to find the puck when their back is turned is totally overpowered in this game. You see it also when offensive players get hit with shots that then drop to the ice behind them. They're able to magically reach behind themselves, find the puck unerringly, and shoot it, even though IRL they'd have no clue at all where the puck was.

• KoryDub wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the automatic bat swings. Especially the no-look one in the video you posted.

Would rather they be initiated by a shoot button with the rate of success of just getting it on net to be around 20%.

I do the same thing I have done for years for deflections.... hold L trigger and swing at it with R stick trying to time it right.

Had no idea really that the game will apparently just do this for me?
  • deadman9999
    877 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    So whats your rank for top 100 career and top 100 seasons for goalie stats mr IlyaSorokin90
  • Here are some more examples of what players are able to do with their backs turned:

Here, guy takes a ridiculous shot, literally right at me. It deflects through me, and off Bergeron's back. He didn't even see the shot, so he couldn't have any idea where the puck goes when it hits him. But he immediately reaches his skate out exactly where the puck is, pulls to his stick, and shoots:

Guy passes the puck off my goalie's pads. My defenseman spins and pokes (a command left over from when he was going after the puck carrier) with his back turned, but somehow miraculously hits the puck perfectly and pokes it into his own net:

Here, Ovechkin has his back turned, but somehow knows that the puck is behind him and tries to backhand it. He doesn't make clean contact, but it's okay -- his teammate picks up the puck by putting his stick literally through players' legs, and then shoots the puck by putting his stick through players' legs again:

The worst part of all this is, of course, the inconsistency. AI players routinely bat the puck out of mid-air with their backs turned, etc. But give them a simple tap-in with an open net, and they'll bollix it up:

• This one also illustrates the inconsistency that makes this game so frustrating. Again, I'm able to perfectly poke the puck (into my own net) while spinning, and without really being able to see where the puck is:

But when I try to poke a puck that's right in front of me (with a 97-rated defenseman, no less), I miss by two feet:

Totally absurd.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    Here are some more examples of what players are able to do with their backs turned:

Here, guy takes a ridiculous shot, literally right at me. It deflects through me, and off Bergeron's back. He didn't even see the shot, so he couldn't have any idea where the puck goes when it hits him. But he immediately reaches his skate out exactly where the puck is, pulls to his stick, and shoots:

Guy passes the puck off my goalie's pads. My defenseman spins and pokes (a command left over from when he was going after the puck carrier) with his back turned, but somehow miraculously hits the puck perfectly and pokes it into his own net:

Here, Ovechkin has his back turned, but somehow knows that the puck is behind him and tries to backhand it. He doesn't make clean contact, but it's okay -- his teammate picks up the puck by putting his stick literally through players' legs, and then shoots the puck by putting his stick through players' legs again:

The worst part of all this is, of course, the inconsistency. AI players routinely bat the puck out of mid-air with their backs turned, etc. But give them a simple tap-in with an open net, and they'll bollix it up:

This first one the puck goes through your legs (in between) I'm not sure why you're complaining. The second video you poked it so again not sure why you're upset. The third was **** ill agree there. The fourth is **** aswell although NHL players in real life miss wide open shots from time to time
  • SharlonD wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Here are some more examples of what players are able to do with their backs turned:

This first one the puck goes through your legs (in between) I'm not sure why you're complaining. The second video you poked it so again not sure why you're upset. The third was **** ill agree there. The fourth is **** aswell although NHL players in real life miss wide open shots from time to time

Did you read the post? In the first clip, the problem is not that the puck deflects through my legs. The problem is that Bergeron has his back turned but somehow miraculously knows exactly where the puck is, kicks it to his stick and shoots, all without ever being able to see the puck. And the problem with the 2nd clip is the same -- how does my guy know where the puck is, when he's spinning and has his back turned? He can't see the puck until the very last second, yet somehow his stick is directed unerringly toward the puck as soon as the poke starts.

• You can't argue with the fanboys BMH. Those that see this game as the best release ever obviously didn't have a lot of experience playing NHL online in it's hay-day (pre next-gen/tps garbage)
  • I don't understand how anyone can watch some of these videos and justify them, they're absolutely hilarious. This game has so many issues and when they're thrown in all together it's abysmal to play and not fun most of the time. I would like to think the Devs see these clips and want to fix them but clips like these have been posted for years and it's somehow gotten worse :S
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited December 2016
    There is a few things here. We haven't touched the bat-ins since I have been on the game so they certainly could get a look for balance to fit in with everything that we are doing now. (I actually have a task to one day look at making them manual as well but we didn't get that far down our priority list)

That said, Bmh posted plenty of videos last year arguing that a player with his back turned should have been able to easily pick up hard passed pucks on their backhand that were bobbling at times before reception due to trying to make things more realistic -- so you can definitely flip that coin as you like and post videos on either side but I don't think we can make you happy if sometimes you want realism and other times you don't.

It can be argued that we don't have proper procedural awareness at all times where that player may rotate their upper body or their head to track that puck and could have picked it up. That lack of an animation should possibly not limit a players ability to bat a puck when they could have seen it, even if the game didn't make him 'artificially see it' first.

I would like to look back at both bat-ins and deflections and rewrite some things in those models to fall better in line with other systems that have had upgrades.

The Bergeron clip is purely a product of trying to solve the pickup issues everyone was calling out. He didn't pick up those pucks with his skate last year and everyone complained that players weren't picking up enough pucks and skating circles around them (and still do). Either we make pickups easier, or people need to adjust and be accountable to slow their player down, stop turning, or turn to face to pick up a puck. By trying to add more coverage, you get cases like this that are sometimes less realistic but again, you can't really have it both ways. Personally, I preferred last year in the accountability side but I am not making the game for myself and we listen to what people are having the biggest issue with and try and improve our scores in all areas of the game. I see us lookin back at skate pickups specifically and adding in reaction time when you lose a puck (which may also fall into these rebound/awareness cases as well). But, it is tough when the User playing the game sees the puck and trying to explain to them that their player didn't and that is why he didn't pick up a puck -- the same way they get frustrated when he won't settle a bouncing puck if he tries to just fly through it and pick it up in stride, etc.
  • EVerk81 wrote: »
    You can't argue with the fanboys BMH. Those that see this game as the best release ever obviously didn't have a lot of experience playing NHL online in it's hay-day (pre next-gen/tps garbage)

I've been playing NHL since NHL 2003 relax buddy.. old gen NHL was very unrealistic you could fly around the ice like a figure skater.. I'm just all about realism and respect the direction EA is trying to bring the game
  • I don't expect a perfect game because no video game is perfect there's going to be some nonsense regardless of the game or genre of game you're playing.. dudes are just nitpicking like crazy.. that same stuff happened in old gen games but on top of it you could do some really stupid things that you never see in real hockey so again I respect the direction of the game
  • I think SharlonD is cogs because cogs realized nobody pays attention to him anymore hahaha
  • Cogs sounds like a very intelligent person
  • I think SharlonD is cogs because cogs realized nobody pays attention to him anymore hahaha

Highly unlikely. Cogs doesn't realize anything, ever.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the automatic bat swings. Especially the no-look one in the video you posted.

Would rather they be initiated by a shoot button with the rate of success of just getting it on net to be around 20%.

Agreed