EA Forums - Banner

A very underrated complaint...

Prev134
The physics in this game dont look real many times. I see my players stick go through the back of the net as if they were holograms. Ive seen my players stick go through the boards like they were holograms.

This is somethin that doesnt really get talked about on here. This game would look a lot more realistic if this was fixed. Its as if the net, the boards, and the goal posts are holograms that sticks can go through.

Replies

• It's been talked to death, if you really read the threads, and EA's stance on it has been given as well, so it's not likely to change.
  • What was EAs stance on it? Sorry I havent seen i.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1305 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    I might be wrong, but I remember the EA dev writing something like they tried fully solid sticks, but it didnt work or wasn't fun, or something similar. So they left it out. Might be the glög speaking though, so feel free to correct me?
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I remember the EA dev writing something like they tried fully solid sticks, but it didnt work or wasn't fun, or something similar. So they left it out. Might be the glög speaking though, so feel free to correct me?

For me, it's the fact that they won't even allow us (paying consumer) a chance to see it / try it for ourselves in order to make our own decision about it that bothers me. Have friends that swear Sushi is good food (all I got to go on is their Word), I tried it for MYSELF and found it to be disgusting but at least I was able to make my OWN decision about it by it! EA has this attitude that their Word is the Word of God and that's FINAL, END OF DISCUSSION. Why not allow your buying consumers a chance to see it for themselves?? What are you hiding that you flat out REFUSE to allow the consumers a chance to TRY IT for themselves??

Give us a 3 on 3 FULL COLLISION stand alone game (remember 3 on 3 ARCADE), Give us a 3 on 3 FULL COLLISION Demo, Give us a 3 on 3 FULL COLLISION mode in one of the yearly releases (remember '94 mode included in NHL14)

I remember that post. It was going to create other issues. IMO there are other glaring problems that EA needs to focus on.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

For me, it's the fact that they won't even allow us (paying consumer) a chance to see it / try it for ourselves in order to make our own decision about it that bothers me. Have friends that swear Sushi is good food (all I got to go on is their Word), I tried it for MYSELF and found it to be disgusting but at least I was able to make my OWN decision about it by it! EA has this attitude that their Word is the Word of God and that's FINAL, END OF DISCUSSION. Why not allow your buying consumers a chance to see it for themselves?? What are you hiding that you flat out REFUSE to allow the consumers a chance to TRY IT for themselves??

Give us a 3 on 3 FULL COLLISION stand alone game (remember 3 on 3 ARCADE), Give us a 3 on 3 FULL COLLISION Demo, Give us a 3 on 3 FULL COLLISION mode in one of the yearly releases (remember '94 mode included in NHL14)
    There's nothing stopping you, other than your own stupidity evidently, from loading up an offline game and cranking the sliders to accomplish this, eh bud? ;)
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

There's nothing stopping you, other than your own stupidity evidently, from loading up an offline game and cranking the sliders to accomplish this, eh bud? ;)

What's stopping EA from just ALLOWING US to experience FULL COLLISION during an ONLINE game, eh Bud??
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    The full collision discussion has been confused. Back in the day, Rammer was asked about collisions and when he said that it wasn't on by default due to fun factor, he was referring to the incidental stick on stick and stick on body collisions that we do now have on by default.

For the stick to actually have full physics collisions at all times, it would take much more work. Different levels of muscle tension for when you want to hold onto your stick vs let it go with one of your hands, a bunch of different animations to pull the stick around when it is going to collide with something, etc.

We have tried different IK and animation solutions near the boards but haven't got to something that didn't compromise player control and what you could do in the real world to navigate closer to the boards, net, other players, etc.

This isn't something that could just be turned on as some of you think so there isn't a demo that we are hiding from anyone or anything like that.
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    NHLDev wrote: »
    The full collision discussion has been confused. Back in the day, Rammer was asked about collisions and when he said that it wasn't on by default due to fun factor, he was referring to the incidental stick on stick and stick on body collisions that we do now have on by default.

For the stick to actually have full physics collisions at all times, it would take much more work. Different levels of muscle tension for when you want to hold onto your stick vs let it go with one of your hands, a bunch of different animations to pull the stick around when it is going to collide with something, etc.

We have tried different IK and animation solutions near the boards but haven't got to something that didn't compromise player control and what you could do in the real world to navigate closer to the boards, net, other players, etc.

This isn't something that could just be turned on as some of you think so there isn't a demo that we are hiding from anyone or anything like that.

OK I get that BUT where is a video showing US (me, other people criticizing you) to allow us to see it with our own eyes that it does not work? Again, I took the WORD of my friends that Sushi is good food, I TRIED IT for MYSELF and didn't like it! Your WORD is telling me it doesn't work (to hard to accomplish)...Since WE are not there at the Studios making the game....throw us a bone and Prove IT!
    Not trying to be a 🎃🎃🎃🎃 here but think about it: IF Someone came to these here Forums (NO VIDEO EVIDENCE) and said THIS happened (let's use the Jesus Glitch for argument sake), would You or anyone else on these Forums Believe this person?????

OK I get that BUT where is a video showing US (me, other people criticizing you) to allow us to see it with our own eyes that it does not work? Again, I took the WORD of my friends that Sushi is good food, I TRIED IT for MYSELF and didn't like it! Your WORD is telling me it doesn't work (to hard to accomplish)...Since WE are not there at the Studios making the game....throw us a bone and Prove IT!
    Not trying to be a **** here but think about it: IF Someone came to these here Forums (NO VIDEO EVIDENCE) and said THIS happened (let's use the Jesus Glitch for argument sake), would You or anyone else on these Forums Believe this person?????

I now understand the reason you work as an usher. Jesus, at your age, act like a damn adult. Holy.
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited December 2016

Not trying to be a **** here but think about it: IF Someone came to these here Forums (NO VIDEO EVIDENCE) and said THIS happened (let's use the Jesus Glitch for argument sake), would You or anyone else on these Forums Believe this person?????

I now understand the reason you work as an usher. Jesus, at your age, act like a **** adult. Holy.

So me asking EA for a video is me not acting my age?? But yet it's ok for EA to ask/expect videos from the community right?

By the By, I haven't been an usher since 2015 mate

I now understand the reason you work as an usher. Jesus, at your age, act like a **** adult. Holy.

So me asking EA for a video is me not acting my age?? But yet it's ok for EA to ask/expect videos from the community right?

By the By, I haven't been an usher since 2015 mate

Not what you ask, but how you ask.

And congrats to moving on up to fry cook.
  • Rangersny81
    173 posts Member
    edited December 2016

Completely ridiculous for you to say this. It's not like Joe isn't saying anything inaccurate. You're calling him a child yet you're the individual trying to insult his profession just because he is offering up suggestions you don't like.

I honestly really think his idea about videos from the developers to explain game mechanics, fixes, etc. is a great idea. Providing visual evidence sometimes explains and exemplifies things better than words can. I'm not saying we need a video for every response to a post, but I don't see how its unfair every now and then to show us with a video much like forum members are asked to provide visual evidence.

We live in a world where anyone can have a YouTube channel, why can't a video game company also be able to provide it's consumers with video guides on how the game works? Again, sometimes a video says it better than words ever can.

• I now understand the reason you work as an usher. Jesus, at your age, act like a **** adult. Holy.

Completely ridiculous for you to say this. It's not like Joe isn't saying anything inaccurate. You're calling him a child yet you're the individual trying to insult his profession just because he is offering up suggestions you don't like.

I honestly really think his idea about videos from the developers to explain game mechanics, fixes, etc. is a great idea. Providing visual evidence sometimes explains and exemplifies things better than words can. I'm not saying we need a video for every response to a post, but I don't see how its unfair every now and then to show us with a video much like forum members are asked to provide visual evidence.

We live in a world where anyone can have a YouTube channel, why can't a video game company also be able to provide it's consumers with video guides on how the game works? Again, sometimes a video says it better than words ever can.

Exactly, HEARING someone say something Sarcastic is a helluva lot easier to recognize than having to decipher Sarcasm in a text
  • sethamphetamines
    330 posts Member
    edited December 2016

honestly joe, you probably could believe the dev on this one.

The video really wouldn't show much that you wouldn't be able to imagine. If they took the game as it is now, and just made everything solid all the time, every time you skated near someone else, your stick would get tangled up with his stick or skates or in between his legs. I'm not sure what the end result would be, but I bet it would be one of 3 things. When you tried to pull apart you would either drag the player with you, pull him down, or you'd both skate opposite directions and end up going nowhere.

Basically there would be tripping and holding and players getting stuck constantly. It would be an absolute disaster.

To avoid that would take a tremendous amount of work. Probably as much if not more than we get in a single yearly upgrade.

Edit: I want to add a final thought. It's best the way it is now, since the team likely won't have the resources to implement this change correctly. As long as when the puck carriers stick makes contact with a leg, skate whatever, the puck comes loose, then that is the best compromise.
  • I now understand the reason you work as an usher. Jesus, at your age, act like a **** adult. Holy.

I already stated he had good points. It's the childish manner in which he states them.

The problem (for an offline player anyway) is that they didn't leave it out entirely. What I mean is, when playing the CPU at a higher difficulty (all-star or superstar, which you have to do, as Pro is a cakewalk. This another decade old issue, wherein there is never a middle ground difficulty, but I digress....) my players sticks, with the exception of phasing through the boards, are pretty solid, while the CPU defenders constantly steal pucks from impossible positions like directly behind me, or when my body has the puck shielded from them, by passing their stick through my skaters legs and body to retrieve the puck. This combined with the excessive stick lifting/uncalled hooking (or actually in combination, as they happen in tandem) and the puck vortex create an artificial difficulty. Its much more fun those times when you play a game where the CPU AI is making smart passes, not overpassing (5 or 6 back and forth passes between winger and point, or worse passing up wide open shots from the slot) and just taking it to you with good hockey plays. The rare games where your teammate AI is also playing smart are the only reason I keep playing this game. It just baffles the mind how it happens so rarely. I played a game I lost 5 to 2 the other night and had a blast because it was a rare game that wasn't filled with bovine excrement. I just wish they would get the phasing out of player interactions, which they clearly can, because it doesn't happen as much if at all at lower difficulties. This is why I call the devs lazy, they know that phasing creates an artificial difficulty spike, so instead of actually improving the AI, they rely on these "cheats" to make the game harder. It's the same thing as when your teammate AI plays completely different from the CPU AI. Example, a board battle, when the CPU pins a guy on the boards, a teammate instantly comes in to help dig it out, when you pin a guy to the boards, your teammates will just stand still or skate in circles, never joining the fray. This happens with puck support all over the ice. He CPU supports the puck so that when pucks are poked free or players pinned, a teammate is always there to help, you on the other hand, have to make individual plays to do anything. If a puck is loose right near the point, your defenseman will other step up to grab it, even if you have pinch turned up to max. You can't switch to hi either as switching will always kill any momentum the skater has, and give a split second delay before actions. None of this is affected by the strategies, I have experimented with every possible configuration over and over. Those are some of the major issues with core, offline gameplay that online players might not see as much, as it seems to me the default level for AI controlled players online is Pro, based on watching video of how they react.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1305 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Please use praragraphs, it's fairly tedious to read a solid block of text...

But I agree, from Pro upwards, the 'AI' of the CPU is just cheating 🎃🎃🎃🎃, it's no fun at all playing single-player modes, but that is a whole different issue of its own (even if it touches this).

But good to know I wasn't completely out of the ballpark with my recollection.