EA Forums - Banner

Might as well remove the teams

Prev1
techn9ner01
35 posts Member
edited December 2016
Literally no point in having every team available for VS mode, all anyone ever chooses is PIT, CHI, STL or Tampa...when are you guys gonna grow a set and use a different team? Seriously garbage to continue playing the same 4 teams and have everyone try to skate around in circles with the top forwards all game

Replies

• Think i might have used St Louis and Tampa Bay once each. I try and use a variety of teams myself. But good job on the hyperbole.
  • Literally no point in having every team available for VS mode, all anyone ever chooses is PIT, CHI, STL or Tampa...when are you guys gonna grow a set and use a different team? Seriously garbage to continue playing the same 4 teams and have everyone try to skate around in circles with the top forwards all game

People are gonna use who they're gonna use mate. I've used the Islanders and beaten all of those teams I've used the Pens and beaten all of those teams (Pens fan since '80). I run up against a lot of people that use WSH, TB, SJ, MTL and lately it's been MIN and EDM. Ain't no big deal to me who opponent chooses to use
  • Hmmm, I don't play online, but I do see lots of different videos and it seems Detroit is a popular choice as well (and always was during my youth. If you were a teenager when NHL hockey or NHLPA 93 came out, everybody you played against wanted to be Detroit. This changed to Chicago in 94 because JR was the best player in the game)
  • honestly thought about making this post before I can't stand it I load in as the sharks and don't care who they other team picks it does get annoying tho. But il quit if you watch me switch off the sharks and you go from mtl or pit and pick them.
  • Isn't that the nature of sports games? Play as the most stacked and talented team in the game to gain the best advantage to win, even if that means selling out your preferred team. Very common indeed.
  • BOSTONRANGER86D
    175 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Don't forget all habitual cheap Frenchies with QC in their name playing as Montreal.
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1475 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Isn't that the nature of sports games? Play as the most stacked and talented team in the game to gain the best advantage to win, even if that means selling out your preferred team. Very common indeed.

I'd take it a step further and extend that mentality to every online or competitive game. Everyone's always looking to win with Akuma in old school street fightet, picking the the fastest car in a racer, highest rated teams in sports games, picking the current "best" gun in shooter's etc. It's a tactic employed by those with less skill to improve their odds, or by those with skill that don't have the balls to lose fairly.

Has been this way since 1 player could face another player.

Personally i like a challenge and don't follow that mentality.
  • i only choose Toronto.... dont see the point in playing vs if your not gonna use your favorite team.... js
  • YES! Get rid of the options of choosing teams! It's only FAIR! You did the same concept in EASHL with taking away the user's ability to have a say in their player - we need you (EA) to STEP IN and take out choosing your team options.

We need 5 teams to choose from and they must all be 70's overall.

FAIR IS FAIR!

E-SPORT!
  • i only choose Toronto.... dont see the point in playing vs if your not gonna use your favorite team.... js

I'm with ya there, except I use Detroit, and we know how well they are doing this year. LOL

I'm with ya there, except I use Detroit, and we know how well they are doing this year. LOL

I use the Pens or the Islanders. My very first Pens game was 3/2/80 vs those NY Islanders, why shouldn't I be allowed to use the 2 teams that I have been following for 36yrs (just because the Pens have won the Cup recently)?
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    i only choose Toronto.... dont see the point in playing vs if your not gonna use your favorite team.... js

I use the Pens or the Islanders. My very first Pens game was 3/2/80 vs those NY Islanders, why shouldn't I be allowed to use the 2 teams that I have been following for 36yrs (just because the Pens have won the Cup recently)?

I'm sure you are the exception to the rule there. I mean seriously, how many 10-year-olds wanna be Crosby, right? There are always WELCOME exceptions to the rule.

I started playing NHL again around the last time the Red Wings won the cup, and the one thing I've noticed every year since is that the two Stanley Cup teams from the year before are usually the most common teams I match up against in VS. Now I'm sure a small percentage of them are truly fans of the team they are using, but i would bet most of them are just using the best rated team in the game.
  • I've actually played with Arizona quite a bit in VS this year and I've done very well with them even at the top levels of the game.

This game is more about how well you exploit the TPS and manipulate the goalies moreso than having a good team on paper.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    i only choose Toronto.... dont see the point in playing vs if your not gonna use your favorite team.... js

I'm sure you are the exception to the rule there. I mean seriously, how many 10-year-olds wanna be Crosby, right? There are always WELCOME exceptions to the rule.

I started playing NHL again around the last time the Red Wings won the cup, and the one thing I've noticed every year since is that the two Stanley Cup teams from the year before are usually the most common teams I match up against in VS. Now I'm sure a small percentage of them are truly fans of the team they are using, but i would bet most of them are just using the best rated team in the game.

Well here's the thing, my opponent unknowingly selects my team for me....lol! IF they use CHI, LA, MTL, NYR, STL, SJ, TB, WSH....I will use the Pens ('91/'92 uniforms ONLY). IF they use any other teams....I will use the Islanders (the 70's uniforms). On a rare occasion, I use the NJ Devils (my wife is originally from Englishtown NJ)(green/red uniforms ONLY)
  • I use the Avalanche. Wanna talk about interesting games.

I wish EA would get the rights to some of the best teams from the past. I'd LOVE to play my 97-98 Wings against the 96 Avalanche in an online environment.

I wish EA would get the rights to some of the best teams from the past. I'd LOVE to play my 97-98 Wings against the 96 Avalanche in an online environment.

They would have to sign each player to individual contracts as they aren't included in the NHLPA. Too costly and time consuming. Not to mention the ones they can't sign due to what ever reason would mean the team would be incomplete. Would be awesome using the 89 flames, but not likely something I'll ever get to do.

They would have to sign each player to individual contracts as they aren't included in the NHLPA. Too costly and time consuming. Not to mention the ones they can't sign due to what ever reason would mean the team would be incomplete. Would be awesome using the 89 flames, but not likely something I'll ever get to do.

Even if they could just use numbers and ratings (no names) that would be kinda cool, but yeah I'm sure it's out of their realm, and it's not like they don't have enough of their plate already...LOL
  • Just using numbers is no longer a thing that can be done. The lawsuit filed by Ed O'Bannon seeking compensation for the use of his likeness basically set the precedent that things like the NCAA sports games that didn't use a name, but we're clearly representing a specific person, had to compensate that person. So just using 12 to represent Hakan Loob isn't going to fly.