EA Forums - Banner

Ice tilt isn't a thing, get over it

Replies

• IMO17 wrote: »
    eric57664 wrote: »
    RSall14 wrote: »
    Fifa just got caught for having rubber banding in their game. Here's a quote from someone who commented on the issue.

"Rubber Banding/Momentum/Scripting it's been there for years, it's why I haven't bothered playing against other players properly in years, there is zero competitive merit in the game. You don't need data miners to discover this, anyone with a decent level of self awareness and good eye sight can see it in action and with the rise of video recording, I imagine youtube is filled with the proof, things like how effective your players are at closing down the opposition, their ability to make intelligent runs, their ability to control a pass.. all these things have momentum swings, some might say it's more realistic but when it gets to the point where Messi has a worse touch than **** Bramble and your team of superstars are playing like sunday leaguers, it just completely detracts from the overall playing experience.

Not sure what they want EA to do though, they have always denied it's existence and doubt they will change their stance. They once commissioned an online strategy guide (Fifa 09 I think) where momentum was discussed with strategies to making it work to your advantage, the moderators on the official forums had to deny it exists and called it an error on the strategy guide's part. Last I checked, they have completely banned it's discussion too on the forums."

This type of **** happens all the time in NHL. Superstar players being outskated by scrubs.

So a guy says he hasn't played Fifa in YEARS, yet you're/he is claiming they got caught? Lol. You're hilarious.

Maybe superstars are getting out skated because they are fatigued and need to line change? I never had a scrub player catch my superstar. Just stop lying.

If you've ever played with AI in any mode, then you're lying about never seeing a defenceman, any defenceman fly past a forward to get an icing call. Or when you're on a breakaway and you can see the immediate slowdown on your skater once you enter the offensive zone allowing the defender to catch up.

I see it in EASHL/Drop in a lot. This isn't a fatigue issue, because the change in speeds is too drastic and happens too quickly.

I was actually talking about human vs human and a
    IMO17 wrote: »
    Fifa just got caught for having rubber banding in their game. Here's a quote from someone who commented on the issue.

"Rubber Banding/Momentum/Scripting it's been there for years, it's why I haven't bothered playing against other players properly in years, there is zero competitive merit in the game. You don't need data miners to discover this, anyone with a decent level of self awareness and good eye sight can see it in action and with the rise of video recording, I imagine youtube is filled with the proof, things like how effective your players are at closing down the opposition, their ability to make intelligent runs, their ability to control a pass.. all these things have momentum swings, some might say it's more realistic but when it gets to the point where Messi has a worse touch than **** Bramble and your team of superstars are playing like sunday leaguers, it just completely detracts from the overall playing experience.

Not sure what they want EA to do though, they have always denied it's existence and doubt they will change their stance. They once commissioned an online strategy guide (Fifa 09 I think) where momentum was discussed with strategies to making it work to your advantage, the moderators on the official forums had to deny it exists and called it an error on the strategy guide's part. Last I checked, they have completely banned it's discussion too on the forums."

This type of **** happens all the time in NHL. Superstar players being outskated by scrubs.

So a guy says he hasn't played Fifa in YEARS, yet you're/he is claiming they got caught? Lol. You're hilarious.

Maybe superstars are getting out skated because they are fatigued and need to line change? I never had a scrub player catch my superstar. Just stop lying.

If you've ever played with AI in any mode, then you're lying about never seeing a defenceman, any defenceman fly past a forward to get an icing call. Or when you're on a breakaway and you can see the immediate slowdown on your skater once you enter the offensive zone allowing the defender to catch up.

I see it in EASHL/Drop in a lot. This isn't a fatigue issue, because the change in speeds is too drastic and happens too quickly.

I was actually talking about human vs human and a race for the puck and a faster player with the puck skating past a slower player. And in any mode, back in old generation (the descriptions specifically), defenceman catching up to faster players is due to defensive awareness. It gives them a boost on the backcheck, plus then their skating attributes and fatigue at that moment.

Everyone knows the ai cheats a little bit in all parts of the game when you face the ai in all star and more in superstar. In pro or rookie, that never happens.

Fair enough. I have seen my player slowed down on a breakaway in online games, but it may have been an AI player chasing me each time. I can't remember. I'll try to remember and capture it next time. I don't get many breakaways though as I'm a very defensive center.

Regardless, the whole FIFA kerfuffle is more than what just some what some guy who doesn't play the game says.

In case anyone is interested and haven't seen it yet, it seems someone looked at the code on the PC version of FIFA and found some interesting things. If you have FIFA on PC, you can check it out for yourself.

Here is part 1:
    https://reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/5kag3l/i_found_mention_of_momentum_in_fifa_17_game_code/

Really, the most interesting part here is this:
    //--- team chemistry (0-100) (used in momentum)
    //DB_TEAM_CHEMISTRY
    //DB_AVERAGE_RATING

Here is the second thread:
    https://reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/5kgnfi/i_found_mention_of_momentum_in_fifa_17_game_code/
    [ADAPTIVE_DIFFICULTY] ENABLED = 1
    [ADAPTIVE_DIFFICULTY_INCREASE_DIFFICULTY]
    // Description: "User scores in first 5 minutes"
    // WHEN <GoalEvaluation> IF <user score is greater than opponent score and before 5 minutes> DO <increase difficulty by 0.25> RULE1_PARAM1 = 5
    // Minutes RULE1_OUTPUT = 0.25 // Description: "User scores in first 20 minutes"
    // WHEN <GoalEvaluation> IF <user score is greater than opponent score and before 20 minutes> DO <increase difficulty by 0.25> RULE2_PARAM1 = 20
    // Minutes RULE2_OUTPUT = 0.25
    // Description: "Score >= 2 goal lead"
    // WHEN <GoalEvaluation> IF <user has greater than 2 goal lead> DO <increase difficulty by 0.25> RULE3_PARAM1 = 2
    // Goal lead RULE3_OUTPUT = 0.25 // Description: ">70% possession after at least 20 minutes"
    // WHEN <BallOOP> IF <user has greater than 70% of possession and after 20 minutes> DO <increase difficulty by 0.25> RULE4_PARAM1 = 70
    // Possession percentage RULE4_PARAM2 = 20
    // Minutes RULE4_OUTPUT = 0.25
    // Description: "More than 5 shots in first 30 minutes"
    // WHEN <BallOOP> IF <user has more than 5 shots in the first 30 minutes> DO <increase difficulty by 0.15> RULE5_PARAM1 = 5
    // Shots RULE5_PARAM2 = 30 // Minutes RULE5_OUTPUT = 0.15
    // Description: "More than 10 shots on target at any point"
    // WHEN <BallOOP> IF <user has more than 10 shots on target> DO <increase difficulty by 0.1> RULE6_PARAM1 = 10 // Shots on target RULE6_PARAM2 = 10
    // Increments on PARAM1 RULE6_OUTPUT = 0.1 [ADAPTIVE_DIFFICULTY_DECREASE_DIFFICULTY]
    // Description: "Losing at any point"
    // WHEN <GoalEvaluation> DO <decrease difficulty by 0.1> RULE1_PARAM1 = 0
    // Minutes RULE1_OUTPUT = -0.1
    // Description: "No shot on target within 30 minutes of play"
    // WHEN <BallOOP> IF <after 30 minutes> DO <decrease difficulty by 0.2> RULE2_PARAM1 = 30
    // Minutes RULE2_OUTPUT = -0.2
    // Description: "<30% possession any time after 30 minutes"
    // WHEN <BallOOP> IF <possession less than 30% and after 30 minutes> DO <decrease difficulty by 0.2> RULE3_PARAM1 = 30
    // Possession RULE3_PARAM2 = 30
    // Minutes RULE3_OUTPUT = -0.2
    // Description: "<2 shots by 60th minute"
    // WHEN <BallOOP> IF <number of shots less than 2 and after 60 minutes> DO <decrease difficulty by 0.2> RULE4_PARAM1 = 2
    // Shots RULE4_PARAM2 = 60
    // Minutes RULE4_OUTPUT = -0.2
    // Description: "<4 shots on target 80th minute"
    // WHEN <BallOOP> IF <number of shots less than 4 and after 80 minutes> DO <decrease difficulty by 0.3> RULE5_PARAM1 = 4
    // Shots RULE5_PARAM2 = 80
    // Minutes RULE5_OUTPUT = -0.3
    // Description: "Losing by 2 goals"
    // WHEN <GoalEvaluation> IF <losing by 2 goals> DO <decrease difficulty by 0.1> RULE6_PARAM1 = -2
    // Goals RULE6_OUTPUT = -0.15

To be fully fair, I don't have the game and can't vouch for this myself, but this lines do appear to be in the files as verified by a few other users on Reddit.

It's interesting to say the least. I'm curious to see what comes out of this.

That reddit is something else. Wouldn't bat an eye if NHL had something like this going on with the code. Surprised this hasn't been talked about more on here, honestly.

I am too honestly. Once I saw the mention above I had to go digging around to find out more about it. It was only recently exposed though. It's starting to gain traction with online gaming sites. I think people are waiting for more info to come out.

And this isn't the end all evidence. I believe these are only comments in the code, not the actual code itself (usually, in the languages I'm familiar with, lines starting with "//" don't do anything, they just allow the programmer to leave notes in his work). Also, I believe this would only be for offline, as I think the online code is stored on the server. But that could be wrong too, I don't know enough to say definitively.

Either way, this is pretty damning stuff here. It's highly suggestive that something fishy is going on, at least offline.

I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure. It will be interesting to see if EA gives it any recognition once everyone's back from break.

If anything, I'd hope that EA would maybe take into account how negatively this is all being received and maybe do away with whatever shenanigans that have been happening in their sports series for atleast the past 5 years.

That said, I highly doubt they'll be eating crow anytime soon in regards to this.
  • eric57664
    240 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Assisted_6 wrote: »
    Oh man! I was so close to beating that top player! Maybe if I had 1 or 2 more star players on my hut team I would have.... *busts out CC*

Oh man! I just got beat out by a player who i totally blew away by better stats but his better goalie and better players was the reason why he scored more and allowed less. Maybe if I had the same amount of superstars, I'd show those guys who is boss...*busts out CC*

Goes both ways. But as usual, you only see YOUR perspective. Huehuehuehuehue.
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    Oh man! I was so close to beating that top player! Maybe if I had 1 or 2 more star players on my hut team I would have.... *busts out CC*

Oh man! I just got beat out by a player who i totally blew away by better stats but his better goalie and better players was the reason why he scored more and allowed less. Maybe if I had the same amount of superstars, I'd show those guys who is boss...*busts out CC*

Care to explain the perspective of a #55 RD then?

I was actually talking about human vs human and a race for the puck and a faster player with the puck skating past a slower player. And in any mode, back in old generation (the descriptions specifically), defenceman catching up to faster players is due to defensive awareness. It gives them a boost on the backcheck, plus then their skating attributes and fatigue at that moment.

Everyone knows the ai cheats a little bit in all parts of the game when you face the ai in all star and more in superstar. In pro or rookie, that never happens.

I've played every year and I don't remember ever seeing this, only people claiming that's what it did. Mind providing a link?

There won't be a link because that was pulled from thin air. It doesn't make sense that DA would apply to a situation that is purely about speed and nothing else. If DA helped to poke or stick lift after catching up that would make some sense, but the only attributes that apply there are acceleration and speed. Period. I love how the boot lickers will claim they have never had this happen, while the other 95% of the player base all have seen it with regularity. Either mendacity goes hand in hand with being a sycophant or these people are dumber than dirt.
  • I found it and it's worded as "better effort on the back check". If player speed is the same it makes no sense that one player could be faster than another. I would also like to add that back checking does not only mean skating towards your defensive zone, its stick lifting/tie up the stick and taking your opponents body. So how do you know it's not referring to the latter? Nowhere does it say your player will be faster.

So you didn't find it, as that in no way refers to speed.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    I found it and it's worded as "better effort on the back check". If player speed is the same it makes no sense that one player could be faster than another. I would also like to add that back checking does not only mean skating towards your defensive zone, its stick lifting/tie up the stick and taking your opponents body. So how do you know it's not referring to the latter? Nowhere does it say your player will be faster.

Better effort on the back check 100% meant, and still might mean, you skated faster on the back check. You could feel it/notice it/see it in the game.

Wrong, you just want to interpret it that way. Sorry it doesn't mention speed because it doesn't apply to speed.
  • DeejNYLV wrote: »
    Workin_OT wrote: »
    I found it and it's worded as "better effort on the back check". If player speed is the same it makes no sense that one player could be faster than another. I would also like to add that back checking does not only mean skating towards your defensive zone, its stick lifting/tie up the stick and taking your opponents body. So how do you know it's not referring to the latter? Nowhere does it say your player will be faster.

Better effort on the back check 100% meant, and still might mean, you skated faster on the back check. You could feel it/notice it/see it in the game.

Wrong, you just want to interpret it that way. Sorry it doesn't mention speed because it doesn't apply to speed.

Maybe Ben can come in and confirm, but, at least in the last gen game, defensive awareness 100% made you faster on the back check, eh bud? ;)
  • Assisted_6 wrote: »

Ya except your theory is dumb and wrong. End of story

Except your theory is dumb and wrong. End of story.
    DeejNYLV wrote: »

Maybe Ben can come in and confirm, but, at least in the last gen game, defensive awareness 100% made you faster on the back check, eh bud? ;)

Just like Ben said, it's like going in circles. Doesn't matter what you tell these people, they will always contradict it. Their mind is set so what's the point in having any discussion with them? Even the dev has no reason to do so because the nay sayers don't want to listen anyways because they don't believe it. So what's the point?

The game in old generation clearly said what it said and it wasn't that difficult to interpret. It isn't our fault that these guys just fail at a simple task of understanding.

This isn't a last gen game is it slugger? Try and keep up mmmmkay?

Just like Ben said, it's like going in circles. Doesn't matter what you tell these people, they will always contradict it. Their mind is set so what's the point in having any discussion with them? Even the dev has no reason to do so because the nay sayers don't want to listen anyways because they don't believe it. So what's the point?

The game in old generation clearly said what it said and it wasn't that difficult to interpret. It isn't our fault that these guys just fail at a simple task of understanding.
    It clearly says "better effort when back checking". That's what is says, period. Do you know what back checking is? It sounds like you don't, because you are only taking one part of back checking, the skating. Like I said back checking is more than skating to your d zone, it's taking your man out of the play through body position, stick tie up etc.

And while the devs recently have said player speed is not the same, this was not the case when the game was first being launched. They said the speed (not the speed attribute) was the same across the board. If one player is faster than another THEY ARE NOT THE SAME SPEED. And again, when the devs talk speed, ht/wt are they actually talking about speed (top speed) or acceleration?
  • all HUT players should be 70 overalls.

just like EASHL.

It clearly says "better effort when back checking". That's what is says, period. Do you know what back checking is? It sounds like you don't, because you are only taking one part of back checking, the skating. Like I said back checking is more than skating to your d zone, it's taking your man out of the play through body position, stick tie up etc.

And while the devs recently have said player speed is not the same, this was not the case when the game was first being launched. They said the speed (not the speed attribute) was the same across the board. If one player is faster than another THEY ARE NOT THE SAME SPEED. And again, when the devs talk speed, ht/wt are they actually talking about speed (top speed) or acceleration?

Backchecking means applying pressure on someone from behind. Doesn't matter if your stick checking or body checking, the only reason you can do those things would if you can catch the player that's ahead of you that you're chasing from behind, which means skating is priority here.

So yes, there are parts of it that are compiled with it, but skating is the most important part. So whether we get boosts (which is effort) with sticks lifts and pokes and checks, what we'ret talking about is how a defender can catch a forward sometimes. And I was just pointing out that this is 1 of the reasons, IF that description still applies to current gen hockey.

The speed attribute is the same for all builds, but BMI is also calculated with the player and adds to the player whether they are bigger and heavier or smaller and lighter. You can tell that an OD is much more agile than an enforcer D. It's not that hard to see that.

How is that even a problem? Why does everyone have to be the same speed? I think that's one of the worst parts of this game that there is no speed differentiation.

If you read the play as a defender, speed of an opposing player will never be a problem, but it does add to the fun of playing a hockey game, which that is totally missing now because many people can't read plays on the defensive side properly it seems.

Backchecking means applying pressure on someone from behind. Doesn't matter if your stick checking or body checking, the only reason you can do those things would if you can catch the player that's ahead of you that you're chasing from behind, which means skating is priority here.

So yes, there are parts of it that are compiled with it, but skating is the most important part. So whether we get boosts (which is effort) with sticks lifts and pokes and checks, what we'ret talking about is how a defender can catch a forward sometimes. And I was just pointing out that this is 1 of the reasons, IF that description still applies to current gen hockey.

The speed attribute is the same for all builds, but BMI is also calculated with the player and adds to the player whether they are bigger and heavier or smaller and lighter. You can tell that an OD is much more agile than an enforcer D. It's not that hard to see that.

How is that even a problem? Why does everyone have to be the same speed? I think that's one of the worst parts of this game that there is no speed differentiation.

If you read the play as a defender, speed of an opposing player will never be a problem, but it does add to the fun of playing a hockey game, which that is totally missing now because many people can't read plays on the defensive side properly it seems.

1) Backchecking is rushing back into the defensive zone to counter the oppositions offensive attack. Whether you apply pressure to someone from behind has nothing to do with the actual term 'backcheck' in regards to how the term is used in hockey. Just saying.

2) If a forward has clearly beat a defender and is now on a breakaway, the fact that they can still be caught at full speed by a backchecking defender doesn't make a lot of sense given that EA has said speed is the same across the board for all builds

3) Because your homies at EA said so :)

• Those moments when suddenly your controller input doesn't work correctly, you can't tell me that isn't a product of the coding. No offense intended, but the devs can deny it until they are blue in the face and it won't change the fact that there is way too much funny stuff going on with this game to make me believe there isn't something behind it being there.

Everyone who has played this game since last-gen now sees it this gen. The skill gap without a doubt is being closed by all these 'random' elements in the gameplay. Even people with amazing records have admitted there is something not right. When someone who is 100-10-2 tells you he believes in 'ice tilt,' then you know something ain't right.

And the final confirmation that they want the game to play this way is the fact that this type stuff has been in the game for several years running now. If they didn't want all the 'randomness' it would of been called a bug and prioritized for fixing ages ago. Take the inability to player switch at random moments, which has now been in the game for at least 2 years running.

Then, every feature added to the game only seems to make it more of a dice-roll rather than a game of skill. Puck-pickups? Dice-roll. Passing? Dice-roll. AI Behavior? Dice-roll. Multiple times in just one period, one of these elements is going to give up a major scoring chance against you. Sometimes, like during the inability to player switch, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do about it. You're helpless, you just have to pray your opponent doesn't score.

This all makes for a cheapened, online experience. When you win or lose, you want it to be from user error, not some computer-generated 'moment.' If this is what EA calls realism then sign me up for going back to arcade gameplay.
  • Shlog61 wrote: »
    It's not real! You all just suck at the game.

Momentum is real but that isn't ice tilt.
    Over the 9 years I've been on these forums it's usually you people that are truly awful at the game. Just sayin'.

You can call it whatever you want....Ice tilt, momentum, rubber banding....we don't care what it's called and don't want any artificial boosts or penalties in a competitive game mode. That's the point. I don't want any momentum, I want to beat the player I'm playing because I am better, no because of some form of handicapping.

Really? I find the ones who suck at this game are actually the ones who complain.

I agree that having everyone the same speed is a bad idea and I was a big advocate against it, but what's even worse than that is *if* skaters receive a speed boost because of defensive awareness. If you're out of position or get caught too deep in the offensive zone you should be penalized. Not rewarded by being able to catch players from behind.
  • xxH3llsp4wNxx
    253 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    EVerk81 wrote: »

1) Backchecking is rushing back into the defensive zone to counter the oppositions offensive attack. Whether you apply pressure to someone from behind has nothing to do with the actual term 'backcheck' in regards to how the term is used in hockey. Just saying.

2) If a forward has clearly beat a defender and is now on a breakaway, the fact that they can still be caught at full speed by a backchecking defender doesn't make a lot of sense given that EA has said speed is the same across the board for all builds

3) Because your homies at EA said so :)
    Applying pressure has nothing to do with back checking? Like I said, you don't really understand the term. Its all about trying to cause a turnover, disrupt the play and applying pressure.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nhl/backchecking.aspx

http://blog.hockeygiant.com/2010/12/forechecking-and-backchecking.html?m=1
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.