EASHL Connection Questions
Could you ask your online guys about this? Or get one of them to come on for a little bit?
Yes, I will bring this up with them again. I am very curious about this especially with your comparison to versus being better with even a worse ping. I have speculated before asking how other players in the session having worse pings would impact you but it apparently should only effect those individuals. I will dig in again. Thanks for the info.
NHLDev, can you please check back to see if the online guys can answer some of our connection issues, whether they pop in for an AMA style session, or we prepare questions ahead of time that they can respond to (and be prepared to answer follow ups).
Here are the questions, some I've had for years and never got answered:
- My ping usually averages 11ms, + or - , 0 packet loss, and no huge fluctuations in ping, and yet I still have games that lag terribly. Is there a reason that while the network performance monitor looks great, my game quality is not? I've had VS games in the 30s-70s that perform better than many EASHL games at 11ms.
- As mentioned, my ping is usually low. If it's not 11ms, then it is 48 ms. I've long suspected, and have recently confirmed that means I am connected to an East Coast server. Why am I connecting to an East Coast server? (Our club is a West Coast club and we always match region).
- Does the captain matter when searching for a game?Does their network affect everyone who connects in that game, or everyone on that team? Will it affect game quality or ability to find a game?
- What determines who is the home team, because most of our games are away, like 9/10. Lately it's been about 50/50 and we've noticed better connections, home or away in most of these games.
- Does playing home give a better connection? I think most people believe so, as lots of people back out if they are away. We've noticed better connections at home most games.
- *Does playing home/away affect game experience in VS? I've had nights where every game of VS I played was away, and it was terrible, until I get home and it's like playing offline. Then I have nights where home games are terrible, and I finally play an away game, and it's buttery smooth. Is this all coincidence?
- Playing in a game with a bad connection, even East Coast with an ok feeling connection has lots of issues. Is there anything we can do to change the below issues?
- Pucks harder to pickup
- Pucks always go back to the other team when dislodged
- hits/pokes don't work
- AI plays much worse than nomral
- Goalies, even humans, give up weaker goals than usual.
- Does one player having a bad connection, or being from another region affect everyone, some of the players, just one team, or just the player with a bad connection?
- From @nickythewop - I'd like to know at a very basic level how they have implemented lag compensation in EASHL and VS.
- Is there lag compensation in VS/EASHL (I'm assuming the answer is yes)?
- What is the maximum added latency on a good connection to compensate for those with bad connections?
- Are the lag compensation values reevaluated on a regular basis in a game, and how often (roughly), if so?
Does anyone else have any connection related questions they'd like me to add to the list?
Post edited by sethamphetamines on