EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Connection Questions

Prev13456719
sethamphetamines
330 posts Member
edited January 2017
Could you ask your online guys about this? Or get one of them to come on for a little bit?
NHLDev wrote: »
Yes, I will bring this up with them again. I am very curious about this especially with your comparison to versus being better with even a worse ping. I have speculated before asking how other players in the session having worse pings would impact you but it apparently should only effect those individuals. I will dig in again. Thanks for the info.

NHLDev, can you please check back to see if the online guys can answer some of our connection issues, whether they pop in for an AMA style session, or we prepare questions ahead of time that they can respond to (and be prepared to answer follow ups).

Here are the questions, some I've had for years and never got answered:
  1. My ping usually averages 11ms, + or - , 0 packet loss, and no huge fluctuations in ping, and yet I still have games that lag terribly. Is there a reason that while the network performance monitor looks great, my game quality is not? I've had VS games in the 30s-70s that perform better than many EASHL games at 11ms.
  2. As mentioned, my ping is usually low. If it's not 11ms, then it is 48 ms. I've long suspected, and have recently confirmed that means I am connected to an East Coast server. Why am I connecting to an East Coast server? (Our club is a West Coast club and we always match region).
  3. Does the captain matter when searching for a game?Does their network affect everyone who connects in that game, or everyone on that team? Will it affect game quality or ability to find a game?
  4. What determines who is the home team, because most of our games are away, like 9/10. Lately it's been about 50/50 and we've noticed better connections, home or away in most of these games.
  5. Does playing home give a better connection? I think most people believe so, as lots of people back out if they are away. We've noticed better connections at home most games.
  6. *Does playing home/away affect game experience in VS? I've had nights where every game of VS I played was away, and it was terrible, until I get home and it's like playing offline. Then I have nights where home games are terrible, and I finally play an away game, and it's buttery smooth. Is this all coincidence?
  7. Playing in a game with a bad connection, even East Coast with an ok feeling connection has lots of issues. Is there anything we can do to change the below issues?
    • Pucks harder to pickup
    • Pucks always go back to the other team when dislodged
    • hits/pokes don't work
    • AI plays much worse than nomral
    • Goalies, even humans, give up weaker goals than usual.
  8. Does one player having a bad connection, or being from another region affect everyone, some of the players, just one team, or just the player with a bad connection?
  9. From @nickythewop - I'd like to know at a very basic level how they have implemented lag compensation in EASHL and VS.
    • Is there lag compensation in VS/EASHL (I'm assuming the answer is yes)?
    • What is the maximum added latency on a good connection to compensate for those with bad connections?
    • Are the lag compensation values reevaluated on a regular basis in a game, and how often (roughly), if so?

Does anyone else have any connection related questions they'd like me to add to the list?
Post edited by sethamphetamines on

Replies

• Exact same issue here .

I'm in southern cali and my ping will either say 12ms-15ms which is utter **** becuase I can FEEL the lag (especially as a dman.) OR

I get games where my ping is like 42ms or whatever. Just brutal.

To anyone who has no lag issues , you're so incredibly lucky. Been dealing with this **** for the past couple of years.
  • me and my team have pretty bad lag. It feels random which teammate would get it. Sometimes it's me sometimes it's one of them. I dunno what determines it but yah the lag in eashl must have an actual problem and I really hope the dev team is looking into it not just for this year but future years.

I don't play versus much. Jumped into a game the other day and holy cow. The lag feels like it's offline play.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Thanks guys. I will be showing this thread to the team as a follow up of what I have already been talking to them about.
  • Well, you got your answer seth, not a surprising one at that.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Ryujinsum wrote: »
    Well, you got your answer seth, not a surprising one at that.

That isn't the answer. It is an update.

The online team hasn't seen this thread yet but I have had conversations with them in and around these sort of questions. Since I saw a few replies to Seth, I thought it would be good to acknowledge that I have seen the post because in the past, without that, even though I tell people I read all the threads, they assume I don't unless I respond in them.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

The online team hasn't seen this thread yet but I have had conversations with them in and around these sort of questions. Since I saw a few replies to Seth, I thought it would be good to acknowledge that I have seen the post because in the past, without that, even though I tell people I read all the threads, they assume I don't unless I respond in them.

thanks for checking in on this subject. since i live in the midwest, i was wondering if there were any plans to add a 3rd server for us? the best ping i get is around 15ms so i am jealous of the guys on the east and west coast that can get sub 10 if playing on their respective server. this also puts us at a huge disadvantage.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator

thanks for checking in on this subject. since i live in the midwest, i was wondering if there were any plans to add a 3rd server for us? the best ping i get is around 15ms so i am jealous of the guys on the east and west coast that can get sub 10 if playing on their respective server. this also puts us at a huge disadvantage.

15ms is pretty good compared to most people. There's a super small % under 10.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • hydroshubong
    41 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm in the same boat!
    I'm living very close of Montreal, I've got Fiber 50 up 50 down (wired, open nat, ports open)and in NHL my ping is between 9 and 13 ms most of the time .I feel a delay 50% of the time even if it show that my ping is between 9 and 13ms.
    If I play on the west coast my ping is between 30 and 40 ms, but it's almost unplayable. It's strange that I never have a delay in my other games (except Mortal kombat before they change the netcode), I can even play battlefield 1 with my friends on a euro server without any problem...
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Everytime I've played 6v6 it's been consistent for me. 12ms has been smooth, 45ms has been slightly delayed. Today I was messing around in 3v2s and 3v3 matches and had a game where I had 45ms and it felt like a 12ms game.

For whatever it's worth, just adding my experience to the discussion.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • sethamphetamines
    330 posts Member
    edited January 2017

Thanks, glad to know you saw this. I've added a VS connection question as well. I appreciate you trying to get us answers on these questions. Like I said, these have been floating around for a while, and I think there are a lot of myths about things that matter and don't. It would be good to get some definitive answers.

Can anyone else think of another question to throw into the list?
  • Can anyone else think of another question to throw into the list?

I'd like to know at a very basic level how they have implemented lag compensation in EASHL and VS.

Is there lag compensation in VS/EASHL (I'm assuming the answer is yes)?
    What is the maximum added latency on a good connection to compensate for those with bad connections?
    Are the lag compensation values reevaluated on a regular basis in a game, and how often (roughly), if so?

I'd like to know at a very basic level how they have implemented lag compensation in EASHL and VS.

What is the maximum added latency on a good connection to compensate for those with bad connections?
    Are the lag compensation values reevaluated on a regular basis in a game, and how often (roughly), if so?

Good questions. I've added them.

B)

B)

By all means, come up with some more good ones to ask. I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting that we could use some more technical clarification on, and you're one of the other folks around here that knows a thing or two about networking.
  • Being in Montreal, I rarely have connection/lag issues. I only do if someone else has a really **** connection or if I'm not on a Eastern server which I think is rare for me.

I've never had 10 or below though. It's usually always 11-15.

I miss the days of the old regional lobbies that we could choose and the abilities to see which players had good connections or not.

In Montreal too. I am consistently at 21-23 ms and except for the odd spikes here and there, connections are usually very smooth. I do get odd games now and then where passes are not going exactly where aimed, so maybe a slight delay. But for the most part, I would say connections issues are the least of the concerns for me.
  • I usually get a ping of 19. It's laggy between 8pm-11pm, but silky smooth between 11pm-1am.
    I've also had a ping of 45 at 1am and it's still smooth, so I'm not sure ping means much. I think it's EA's server traffic during peak hours.
  • My question is how its 2017 we have technology we never used to see, and NHL 17 continues to lag